PDA

View Full Version : me and my biological mom

The Vinyl Adventure
20-09-2009, 16:23
im telling everyone, so im telling all you chaps
today i met my biological mom (shona) for the first time in 26 years!
this is me and her!

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/9620_267608020356_627140356_8991011.jpg

aquapiranha
20-09-2009, 16:30
wow! that must be some kind of mental maelstrom there. I can't imagine how happy you both must be. I hope you continue to get along.

:)

Spectral Morn
20-09-2009, 16:42
Hi Hamish

Well done..you look like her. I hope you now have many years together getting to know each other...its a special thing. Treasure it. Thanks for feeling you could share such an important moment in your life with us your AOS family (thats what my wife refers to you all...My AOS family)

Regards D S D L

Beechwoods
20-09-2009, 16:49
Excellent picture Hamish - you look so alike! Congratulations! Enjoy getting to know each other properly after all that time :)

The Vinyl Adventure
20-09-2009, 17:14
cheers chaps, yeah crazy day! i have no problems sharing stuff with the world (aparently a inherented trait)
the last time she saw me was when i was only a few days old, we got in touch through social services but feeling we would get on through emails and text messages decided to meet outside of thier supervision, it went really well - i think i have been lucky! we have a odd amount in common too! my adopted dad and mom are no longer of the mortal coil, and her family (husband and step childeren) are very understanding and happy for us. so all in all the future looks quite good for us! ... although, she isnt 100% sure about being a grandmother so young (me and hannah are looking to start a family next year and she is only 42) she joked her husband might ditch her if she is a granny so young!
the oddest thing - we just got on, she gave me a hug, and it didnt feel odd at all... i guess we are made of the same stuff!?

The Vinyl Adventure
20-09-2009, 17:16
as for looking alike... you should see the photos of my biological dad she showed me... its quite uncanny in some ways

Barry
20-09-2009, 17:43
Hi Hamish,

What a wonderful moment for you both. You have a lot of catching up to do after such a time; I imagine it will be a voyage of discovery - enjoy!

I think Neil has expressed it well; we on AoS are honoured that you chose to share such a special occasion with us. Thank you.

Regards

DSJR
20-09-2009, 17:51
Was it easy for you?

I can go back hundreds of years with both sides of my family and the mix for me is physical paternal and spiritual maternal (if that makes any sense). To go through life "not knowing" is a terrible burden for some and causes conflict where loyalties are concerned with the people who brought you up...

All the very best to you both - and I DO know where you're coming from...

The Grand Wazoo
20-09-2009, 18:00
Wow, mate,
Today's a day you'll always remember, for sure!
I can't imagine all the things that must have been going through your minds just before you met.
Great news for both of you.

Cheers

The Vinyl Adventure
20-09-2009, 18:05
its been easy so far! my adopted mom died when i was 2, and i dont get on with my step mom (i wasnt even invited to my dads wake... its a pretty major not-getting-on)
so i didnt realy feel like i was replacing, or trying to replace, anyone... finding my biological father, emotionaly, might be a different matter. i was very close to my adopted dad, and there is a lot of sadness for me in not ever knowing him, or him knowing me as an adult - he was diagnosed with alzhimers when i was 16 and he died in 2007.. we were father and son but never really the freinds that i feel father and son become in later life, if that makes sence??

i have no probs shareing this sort of thing, i do feel part of the aos comunity, i would shout most of it from the proverbial roof top... if i thought any one would be interested... cheers for the comments!

The Vinyl Adventure
20-09-2009, 18:08
Wow, mate,
Today's a day you'll always remember, for sure!
I can't imagine all the things that must have been going through your minds just before you met.
Great news for both of you.

Cheers

i have to say, i felt very odd.. walking to meet her... i felt i was watching someone else doing what i was doing... very odd... very intense ... and yeah... bar maybe alzhimers/dimentia... i wont be forgetting today.. ever!!

Alex_UK
20-09-2009, 19:17
A lovely story Hamish, (or rather a great prologue to a lovely story that you and your new found mum will now be starting on.) Several years ago my wife (and her mum) found her 1/2 brother who was adopted when their mum was just 16, and everything has worked out really well for them - hope it will too for you.

anthonyTD
20-09-2009, 19:22
hi hamish,
not much more i can add that hasnt already been said but congrats to both you and your mom,, i dont think any one of us who were brought up by our biological parents can ever imagine what you were/are feeling right now, also its great that you had the courage to seek each other out, good on you.
regards,anthony,TD...

DaveK
20-09-2009, 22:18
Hi Hamish,
Just wanted to add my two penn'orth to the fund of congratulations - sorry it took me so long but only just seen the thread. I would sincerely like to be associated with what everyone else has posted, particularly Barry (I nearly quoted his post :) ).
My background is similar, but different (if that makes sense, to quote a freiend :) ), but I'll not go into details, today is your day (in fact it's not really that similar other than I didn't get on with my step father, but I know something of the 'strangeness' of your situation). Hope your new bond is enjoyable and long lasting - you do have one advantage over most other people - you now know the joy of suddenly having a Mum, most others just grow up with them in place and consequently take them a little bit for granted until it's too late - that won't happen to you I'm sure - enjoy the moment and enjoy the rest of your new life.
Hope I haven't prattled on too long.
Cheers, (sincerely :) ).

DanJennings
21-09-2009, 10:17
nice one Truckle, if anyone needed and deserved an experience like that, it's you. Congrats!

The Vinyl Adventure
21-09-2009, 11:36
cheers cheers and cheers all,
i wasnt sure i should post such a personal message but i was a bit over exited yesterday so did anyway, im glad i did... its always nice to hear that people understand a situation, i always find other peoples observations very usefull in getting my head round things
so yeah cheers again

DaveK
21-09-2009, 11:45
Hi Hamish,
You're more than welcome my friend. I suspect that I am not alone but it gave me a lift just reading your posts - your joy and sheer pleasure came shining through and lifted me. We should be thanking you for the pleasure you allowed us to share vicariously - thanks a lot :) .
I hate to contradict a friend's earlier thread but it restores your faith in the human race ;) .
Cheers,

The Vinyl Adventure
21-09-2009, 12:26
there's a few of us gooduns left dave! :)

The Vinyl Adventure
21-09-2009, 17:10
I have just met my step sister via facebook... How odd!

DaveK
21-09-2009, 17:19
Hi Hamish,
I've often heard it said that good things often come in threes (as well as in small packages :) ), so stay cool, there may be more good news to come - I hope so!!
Cheers,

Puffin
23-09-2009, 20:06
Hamish. Just seen this thread. What a fantastic thing to happen. As Dave says it restores your faith in human nature and it is so good to hear good news (as opposed to all the doom and gloom in the press and on tele) and be able to share in it. It was brave of you to post it, but having seen the reaction on here you must feel it was right.