PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge 'degaussing' on the cheap

Barry
20-09-2009, 14:11
What do members think of this idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TkJ_wwkbNA&NR=1 ?

Why do cartridges need to be degaussed? What permeable material is there to degauss? Does anybody do this regularly and if so what are the improvements noticed?

Regards

Ammonite Audio
20-09-2009, 14:42
What do members think of this idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TkJ_wwkbNA&NR=1 ?

Why do cartridges need to be degaussed? What permeable material is there to degauss? Does anybody do this regularly and if so what are the improvements noticed?

Regards

I have a Gryphon demagnetiser, which has an effect, but I don't know for sure that it's a beneficial effect. Straight after treatment, the cartridge sounds rather constrained, but fortunately normality returns an hour or so later. So, something happens, but that's all I can say!

DSJR
20-09-2009, 15:28
If you degauss a typical cartridge it wouldn't work, would it?

Do these "degaussers" cause the cantilever/coil assembly to vibrate? Perhaps it's that being affected as I'm sure that some of these vibrating stylus cleaners don't really clean the tip very well as they're not ultrasonic as I recall.

KeithW
21-09-2009, 15:17
I believe that the commercially available (cartridge) demagnetisers are ment only for moving-coil cartridges. I trust this helps.

anthonyTD
21-09-2009, 15:37
hi all,
yes obviously this would only be usefull for moving coil, i did sugest this to richard dunn a few months ago when he described a problem he had with an MC cartridge he was using, i dont think it worked in that instance though.
A...

DSJR
21-09-2009, 17:30
Bbbbbbbut moving coil carts use COPPER wire (non-ferrous isn't it?) and the formers aren't magnetic surely???? I still reckon something else id going on.

RD had a noisy transistor IIRC.

hifi_dave
21-09-2009, 19:53
Correct but how do record de-magnetisers work ? According to Stereophile, they are extremely effective.:scratch:

DSJR
21-09-2009, 19:55
Audiophoolery is a funny thing ain't it?

anthonyTD
21-09-2009, 20:15
Bbbbbbbut moving coil carts use COPPER wire (non-ferrous isn't it?) and the formers aren't magnetic surely???? I still reckon something else id going on.

RD had a noisy transistor IIRC.
i suspect that most MC cartridges may contain some small parts that are made from ferrous metals.
but then maybe not:confused:
A...:)

DSJR
21-09-2009, 20:20
"..something else id going on..."

That's it, it's the Id in the Ether :lol: