PDA

View Full Version : Great Tracks Featuring Cheesey Sax Solos

Alex_UK
19-09-2009, 18:45
I have to confess to being rather a fan of those overblown sax solos, mainly proliferated in the 80's but examples abound before and since. I want to create a "Supreme Sax Solos" playlist - so, these are a few of my favourites in no particular order - suggestions please for ones I could have forgotten!

Hazel O'Connor - Will You?
Spandau Ballet - True
Dire Straits - Your Latest Trick
Madness - It Must Be Love
Sade - Smooth Operator
Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street
Roxy Music - Avalon

Or shall I just shuffle off into the corner and play with my tenor on my own? :o

DanJennings
19-09-2009, 19:06
Not really a fan, but I can name a few. love that hazel o connor track though...

cheesy:

Pink Floyd - Two Suns In The Sunset
Supertramp - It's Raining Again
Duran Duran - Rio
David Bowie - Modern Love

Not cheesy:

Roxy Music - Remake/Remodel (what a song!)
Van Der Graaf Generator - A place to survive (also awesome)

loads more that just escape me, oh well....

And of course....

jzYzVMcgWhg

Alex_UK
19-09-2009, 19:16
Dan, you're a genius - that clip is pure quality!

Jason P
21-09-2009, 14:01
Love the clip Dan, even tho' it's a joke it's still good music (Neil Hannon AFAIK)!

Of course, don't forget the de rigeur hifi dem record, Famous Blue Raincoat by Jennifer Warnes on the 'Jenny sings Lenny' album.

I'm with you on that Alex, a good sax solo is a joy to behold. There's some great sax on Terry Callier's TimePeace too.

Jason

DanJennings
21-09-2009, 15:06
Love the clip Dan, even tho' it's a joke it's still good music (Neil Hannon AFAIK)!
Jason

Indeed, apparently he occasionally plays it live.... that'd be fun to see! Gotta love the divine comedy....

pure sound
21-09-2009, 15:17
This chap has been responsible for a few as a session musician

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_Davis

Great live with his own band though

Joe
21-09-2009, 16:58
I have to confess to being rather a fan of those overblown sax solos, mainly proliferated in the 80's but examples abound before and since. I want to create a "Supreme Sax Solos" playlist - so, these are a few of my favourites in no particular order - suggestions please for ones I could have forgotten!

'Whatever Gets You Through The Night' John Lennon.

Jason P
21-09-2009, 18:02
Wouldn't say it's cheesy (am I drifting here?) but it is one of my fave sax solo based records;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VWDUQElFYE

Bloody brill.

Jason

The Grand Wazoo
21-09-2009, 18:23
Wouldn't say it's cheesy (am I drifting here?) but it is one of my fave sax solo based records

Ditto for these two:

One of the most beautifully played sax tracks ever as far as I know...........

Jan Garbarek - 'Mission: To Be Where I Am'
From 'It's OK to Listen to the Gray Voice'

FzSRemRHwZI

Also 'Serenity' by The Crusaders - From 'Those Southern Knights'
Spotify link only I'm afraid!

http://open.spotify.com/track/2VdyV18F7phxKIdKmpQTnJ

............but I'm thinking the sort of stuff you're after is from the Clarence Clemmons school of sax as displayed in stuff like:

bwNFCi4Trtw

The Grand Wazoo
21-09-2009, 18:46
My favourite (non-jazz) sax track, though is Frank Zappa - 'We Are Not Alone'

...........where the lead instrument is a baritone sax - meaty beaty big & bouncy!!

B1nfjuAfiq4

Really though, you should be looking at some of the classic Stax/Volt singles.
I also seem to remember one of the 'b' - sides from one of the singles from Grease had a cracking sax track on it (might have been - 'You're the one that I want' - not sure)

Jeremy Marchant
21-09-2009, 20:05
Surely anything by Kenny G qualifies for the fromage factor, eg

EGtTblTR0YU

Alex_UK
21-09-2009, 21:44
Bring 'em on - "cheese is in the eye of the beholder" - (or something) - "one man's cheese is another man's poison" (that sounds wrong, doesn't it!?) - Here are a couple more I've thought of - only you can decide which side of the cheese divide! ;)

(No doubting though that Kenny G is a complete camembert! :))

HpuLnMUpMdU

Actually, this one could go in my "quirky" tracks thread!

ernCPFVe8wU

And I'm not sure if posting this one could actually get me banned from the forum... from the minute the (toilet?) door opens on this master-piece it is sax all the way...

Z4LUSUv8AXc

Alex_UK
28-03-2011, 22:41
Well, as it has been 18 months since I added anything to this list...

Billy Joel - Just The Way You Are. Oh, that's his second appearance!

Also added to the AoS playlist for this thread - check it out! :)

http://open.spotify.com/user/theartofsound

Any of the newer members got any contributions? (Sorry Chris, stepping into "From the Grave" territory, but I can't suggest my own thread, can I?!)

Thing Fish
28-03-2011, 22:44
I heard David Sanborne on a Bowie single once and bought an album as a result...lol

Ergoline
29-03-2011, 01:46
Space Lion by Yoko Kanno and The Seatbelts walks a fine line between cheese and brilliance, with a pronounced tilt towards the latter.

WKnVaDwUg5s

magiccarpetride
29-03-2011, 19:42

Hazel O'Connor - Will You?
Spandau Ballet - True
Dire Straits - Your Latest Trick
Madness - It Must Be Love
Sade - Smooth Operator
Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street
Roxy Music - Avalon

Or shall I just shuffle off into the corner and play with my tenor on my own? :o

Culture Club "Black Money"
Pink Floyd "Shine On You Crazy Diamond"
Curiosity Killed The Cat "Down To Earth"

Alex_UK
29-03-2011, 21:20
Good stuff, chaps - added the ones that are on Spotify. :)

http://open.spotify.com/user/alex_steel1969/playlist/19yjJFFnSJFV2EQrYhPUr1