View Full Version : Loudspeakers/Monitors

Box13
20-07-2015, 07:25
Would anyone be so kind as to recommend some loudspeakers to me.
Budget is flexible, but of course, I like value for my outlay.
I see there is a section for CD and another for Vinyl, but I cannot find the speaker section, so would a moderator please reposition this post in the correct place?
Many thanks in anticipation of your help everyone.

Zoidburg
20-07-2015, 08:51
Someone will probably be along soon to ask what your room is like / size / how its furnished, what sort of musical presentation you like and musical tastes etc all of which may play a part in what is recommended.

Maybe supply some more info first? definitely a ball park "spend" too.

Anyway good luck with your search, there's plenty of folk on here who can offer excellent advise.

hifi_dave
20-07-2015, 09:14
Impossible without a price range.

Audio Al
20-07-2015, 09:58
How long is a piece of string

Gordon Steadman
20-07-2015, 10:14
Quad electrostatics.

Oldpinkman
20-07-2015, 11:09
Quad electrostatics.

Ladbrokes have paid out - like taking candy from a baby. I had a monkey on you saying that within 24 hours :D

Virkon
20-07-2015, 11:20
Hi Box, may I ask, does it not confuse you the amount of others opinions you have sought regarding each bit of kit, not only here? I have always thought that what one person likes another will dislike due to us having different tastes and preferences. I learned long ago that it is not always beneficial to have dozens of opinions swimming around in my head and eventually stepped out with nobody holding my hand to try, and buy what I felt was right for me, my own decision. Be brave.

rdpx
20-07-2015, 12:01
I understand that B&W Nautilus are supposed to be very good indeed.
If the style of them is not too your taste, you could always have a look at a the MAJICO Q7.

Macca
20-07-2015, 12:31
JBL. Big ones, obviously :)

Barry
20-07-2015, 12:36
Someone will probably be along soon to ask what your room is like / size / how its furnished, what sort of musical presentation you like and musical tastes etc all of which may play a part in what is recommended.

Anyway good luck with your search, there's plenty of folk on here who can offer excellent advise.

Exactly - the question is too wide.

Gordon Steadman
20-07-2015, 13:02
Ladbrokes have paid out - like taking candy from a baby. I had a monkey on you saying that within 24 hours :D

What else could one say?

Desmo
20-07-2015, 13:34
You simply must get a pair of Tannoy Westminster's. I believe there are a pair for sale on this very site.

hermit
20-07-2015, 13:48
Anything with a wide baffle. >20" and you'll be fine :lol:

Ninanina
20-07-2015, 13:55
Hi Box, may I ask, does it not confuse you the amount of others opinions you have sought regarding each bit of kit, not only here? I have always thought that what one person likes another will dislike due to us having different tastes and preferences. I learned long ago that it is not always beneficial to have dozens of opinions swimming around in my head and eventually stepped out with nobody holding my hand to try, and buy what I felt was right for me, my own decision. Be brave.

+1

fatmarley
20-07-2015, 14:09
I was thinking either Royd Minstrel or Vox Olympian.

hifi_dave
20-07-2015, 16:12
That's narrowed it down nicely.

Box13
20-07-2015, 16:21

The room is seventeen feet by twelve feet and furnished with carpet and a three piece leather suite.
I want speakers that sound good with all types of music.
Price is flexible but I obviously would like good value for money.

Box13
20-07-2015, 16:22
Impossible without a price range.

Price is flexible, but I would like value at any given price.

Box13
20-07-2015, 16:22
How long is a piece of string

I am sorry to say I do not understand this question.

Box13
20-07-2015, 16:27

No sir not at all. I feel the list of possible purchases will be reduced with 'expert' advice.
I think that I may be so bold as to suggest this may be one of the key functions of the forum in fact.
My taste is quality versus price and I feel that many on here would agree with that philosophy.
If asking for advice was not the correct way to go, then why are there so many excellent publications that exist just for such a purpose?
Bravery is only one step away from recklessness in my humble opinion.

Box13
20-07-2015, 16:28
JBL. Big ones, obviously :)

Do you have a particular model in mind please?

Box13
20-07-2015, 16:29
Exactly - the question is too wide.

I'm not with you Barry?

Joe
20-07-2015, 16:30
I am sorry to say I do not understand this question.

Well you know what string is, it's like a very thin rope and is used for tying things together. Now, imagine a piece of it; how long is it in your imagination? Is it a little scraggy bit that's been used loads of time, or a pristine bundle, fresh from the hardware shop (or wherever you buy string from now Woolworths has closed down)? Answer that, and you'll know what sort of speaker you'll be wanting.

Box13
20-07-2015, 16:31
You simply must get a pair of Tannoy Westminster's. I believe there are a pair for sale on this very site.

Tannoy Westminsters are now on my list ( a list of one up to press ).
Thank you for taking the time to give me your opinion.
Could you tell me why you recommend them please?

Box13
20-07-2015, 16:32
Anything with a wide baffle. >20" and you'll be fine :lol:

What models have you in mind when making that recommendation please?

Box13
20-07-2015, 16:34
+1

Who makes the +1's please Ninanina?

Box13
20-07-2015, 16:35
I was thinking either Royd Minstrel or Vox Olympian.

Thank you for making my list three speakers long, sir.

Ninanina
20-07-2015, 16:36
Who makes the +1's please Ninanina?

It just means I agree with Virkon's statement.... in post No. 7

Box13
20-07-2015, 16:37
Thank you for making my list three speakers long, sir.

I am not going to act in haste and repent at leisure.
I think I will wait for a few recommendations and then indulge upon your collective kindness and ask you to justify which speakers you would choose from my list.
I am very grateful for the input of you all.

Haselsh1
20-07-2015, 16:40
Audio Note ANE's with suitable stands of course.

Box13
20-07-2015, 16:46
Firstly thank you everyone who has given me recommendations to consider.
If you have not been on the site for a few days, perhaps I should mention that the proposed speaker purchase is to compliment my rega RP6 fitted with Ortofon 2M Red and Blue powered by the Musical Fidelity A3 (the old model).
I will initially be using them on the end of four runs of Q.E.D. silver anniversary loudspeaker wire, but this last item may be replaced once I have the speakers.
I would like the tonal character of the speakers to be nothing! Just make the music louder. That has been my philosophy with the source and amplifier.
The room is seventeen feet by twelve feet fitted carpet and leather suite.
My budget is flexible, but I would like the price to represent value for money and also make sense with the other two components. I listen to rock, classical, and alternative rock, anything that is complex.
Many thanks to everyone.

Macca
20-07-2015, 17:04
Asking for advice on a forum is like a CEO getting his board together and saying 'this is what we want to do I want suggestions on how to do it.' he might not use any of the suggestions but at least he has heard the options and maybe ckarified a few things in his own mind as a result. So always a worthwhile exercise I think.

Cost no object I personally would narrow it to Tannoy dual concentrics, ielectrostatics or big JBL. What wasthe jbl at Cranage? They would do for me but I think they were ten grand. The tannoy westminster on sale here are around uthe same money.

No speaker is totally neutral though, not even electrostatics.

Audio Advent
20-07-2015, 17:04
If value for money is your thing, then definately the Tannoy Westminster's you have to try. Should be good on the end of QED cable too, although you might want to upgrade the cable at a later date of course. As you say, your budget is flexible so you should be able to afford them ok.

hermit
20-07-2015, 17:05
What models have you in mind when making that recommendation please?

Big Tannoys, big JBLs, big Klipsch, big Ureis, big IMFs. Preferably vintage examples from these marques as new ones would be ruinously expensive

Zoidburg
20-07-2015, 17:14
How about 2 pairs of westminsters stacked one on top of another? That by my reconning would increase the value for money by 200%.

You would need additional runs of speaker cable of course.

Toppsy
20-07-2015, 17:23
If you want performance at a price that gives you value for money what about a pair of Edingdale speakers. Quite a few AoS members have these and love them.
http://www.reiver-acoustic.com/edingdale.html

Audio Advent
20-07-2015, 17:26
How about 2 pairs of westminsters stacked one on top of another? That by my reconning would increase the value for money by 200%.

It would also be a unique set up and uniqueness increases perceived value. Wire with more of the Q.E.D cable - should be good.

fatmarley
20-07-2015, 17:26
Westlake SM-1 and Kef coda 7 are also very good.

Zoidburg
20-07-2015, 17:34
It would also be a unique set up and uniqueness increases perceived value. Wire with more of the Q.E.D cable - should be good.

I'm liking your thinking on this dude.

Audio Advent
20-07-2015, 17:36
Westlake SM-1 and Kef coda 7 are also very good.

Almost interchangable in fact.

Firebottle
20-07-2015, 17:37
I would like the tonal character of the speakers to be nothing! Just make the music louder.

Hi Box, to fit your need here are a couple of hybrid electrostatics that might just fit the bill:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/martin-logan-aeon-electrostatic-SPEAKERS/261970010762?_trksid=p2054897.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3Dd167a4b8c3284a49964 9028cbe14aabc%26pid%3D100204%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D30%2 6sd%3D281751128503

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/martin-logan-sl3-electrostatic-SPEAKERS-/281751128503?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

:cool: Alan

RichB
20-07-2015, 18:05

That sounds like a dream set up.

rdpx
20-07-2015, 18:30
It might help if you told us where you actually were, as there is little point recommending a used pair that you cannot get.

Spectral Morn
20-07-2015, 18:48
Musical Fidelity A 3 has a slightly forward, lean character so fast, forward speakers would not be my first choice.

In the day when I was active in the retail trade I would have paired an A3 with Ruark speakers, Prologue Two (which would suit the room size) or maybe floor-standing Spendors.

Ruark no longer make speakers so these would need to be S/H but they are common enough.

Regards Neil

User211
20-07-2015, 20:00
These JBLs look interesting, videos there too but the room is poorly furnished so it sounds a bit raw to say the least: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Active-Studio-Monitors-like-JBL-4344-with-Crown-Amplifiers-/181804503340?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item2a5464912c

The JBL 4344 craftsmanship looks superb - way better than the originals and better than many restorations I have seen done in this country by a country mile. I think they'll be lovely to own.

Get those and an amp to match them - do that by swapping various 2nd hand amps in and out over time and you'll find a peach. Watch out for the Martin Logans - I owned them for 17 years but the panels go and 2nd hand that is a big risk without checking the panels work OK. The obvious thing to do is sell them when the panels lose performance and the replacement cost went up massively a few years ago.

Box13
21-07-2015, 05:44
Asking for advice on a forum is like a CEO getting his board together and saying 'this is what we want to do I want suggestions on how to do it.' he might not use any of the suggestions but at least he has heard the options and maybe ckarified a few things in his own mind as a result. So always a worthwhile exercise I think.

Cost no object I personally would narrow it to Tannoy dual concentrics, ielectrostatics or big JBL. What wasthe jbl at Cranage? They would do for me but I think they were ten grand. The tannoy westminster on sale here are around uthe same money.

No speaker is totally neutral though, not even electrostatics.

Who or what is C.E.O. please Macca?

Box13
21-07-2015, 05:47
It just means I agree with Virkon's statement.... in post No. 7

Oh gosh, you must be thinking I am quite obtuse, my apologies, I am admittedly hopeless with acronyms.
So which pair is it that you agree with please?

Box13
21-07-2015, 05:48

The A3 only runs one pair, sir.
Thank you for your contribution however.

Box13
21-07-2015, 05:50
If you want performance at a price that gives you value for money what about a pair of Edingdale speakers. Quite a few AoS members have these and love them.
http://www.reiver-acoustic.com/edingdale.html

Added to my list sir, many thanks.

Box13
21-07-2015, 05:54
Musical Fidelity A 3 has a slightly forward, lean character so fast, forward speakers would not be my first choice.

In the day when I was active in the retail trade I would have paired an A3 with Ruark speakers, Prologue Two (which would suit the room size) or maybe floor-standing Spendors.

Ruark no longer make speakers so these would need to be S/H but they are common enough.

Regards Neil

I was told that the A3 was smooth sir, the trivista influence.
Particularly suited to classical music in point of fact.
I would be happy with well looked after second hand speakers and have therefore added them to my list.
I have also added Spenders, thanks you for the advice.

Box13
21-07-2015, 05:58
These JBLs look interesting, videos there too but the room is poorly furnished so it sounds a bit raw to say the least: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Active-Studio-Monitors-like-JBL-4344-with-Crown-Amplifiers-/181804503340?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item2a5464912c

The JBL 4344 craftsmanship looks superb - way better than the originals and better than many restorations I have seen done in this country by a country mile. I think they'll be lovely to own.

Get those and an amp to match them - do that by swapping various 2nd hand amps in and out over time and you'll find a peach. Watch out for the Martin Logans - I owned them for 17 years but the panels go and 2nd hand that is a big risk without checking the panels work OK. The obvious thing to do is sell them when the panels lose performance and the replacement cost went up massively a few years ago.

Thank you very much for your time and input sir.
Unfortunately the look of the speakers would not go with the decor of the room in which I tend to place them.

Box13
21-07-2015, 06:03
I now have a list of recommendations to get my teeth into and thank you all who have contributed.
Here it is;

Tannoy Westminsters
Royd Minstrel
Vow Olympian
Edingdale
Ruark Prologue Two
Spenders

Over the next few days I will see if I can hear any of the list and try to narrow it down to one choice.
I will keep the Sounders informed as to my experiences.

Box13
21-07-2015, 06:07
To the list, based on my own personal experience I have also decided to add the following

Sony Speakers [because I like the S3's]
Monitor Audio Speakers [as I enjoy the Vector 10's in the study]
Hitachi Speakers [because the 3's continue to amaze me]

So my list is nine speakers long.

Macca
21-07-2015, 07:59
Who or what is C.E.O. please Macca?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_executive_officer

Saber
21-07-2015, 08:05
Vox Olympian, I had no idea Jules verne had done some spreaker cabinet designs

CageyH
21-07-2015, 08:41
Value for money? Electric Beach FH3 :cool:

Spectral Morn
21-07-2015, 09:17
I was told that the A3 was smooth sir, the trivista influence.
Particularly suited to classical music in point of fact.
I would be happy with well looked after second hand speakers and have therefore added them to my list.
I have also added Spenders, thanks you for the advice.

Not in my opinion MF amps are not smooth or warm or rich. The A3 is a good amp, though its bigger brother at the time, the 308 was certainly tonally richer, with more weight and scale.

Its a solid state amp and while the Nu Vista was a tad warmer than the Trivista neither the A3 or 308 had any valves in them, if I recall right the Trivista products came to market after the A3 and 308 were already out for sale and coming to the end of their release run. The follow up A5 was more forward and lean than the A3.

MF gear often gets discribed as a metal fist in a velvet glove, but in my opionion that velvet is so thin as to be nearly not there. I liked the Trivista DAC and its predicesor and the X series DAC, but I have never been a fan of MF amplification.

I don't think any Monitor Audio speaker would be a good match for your A3 but of course if you like the sound, then fair enough.

Regards Neil

rdpx
21-07-2015, 10:57
To the list, based on my own personal experience I have also decided to add the following

A very well thought out and considered list.

I for one am looking forward to your thoughts on the difference between the Hitachis and the Tannoy Westminster. It's going to be a hard call between then.

I also am slightly upset that you have not taken my two recommendations on board and added then to your list. You also seem to have not seen the post where I pointed out that if we knew where you were we could make better recommendations.

R

Zoidburg
21-07-2015, 11:03
tis a bizarre thread this one for sure.

Virkon
21-07-2015, 11:47

A list 3 speakers long would certainly combaffle me so good luck with 9. I just know your going to innocently ask what does combaffle mean and I really don't know.

struth
21-07-2015, 12:11
A list 3 speakers long would certainly combaffle me so good luck with 9. I just know your going to innocently ask what does combaffle mean and I really don't know.

skids with sewn up legs:eyebrows:

Joe
21-07-2015, 12:12
You also seem to have not seen the post where I pointed out that if we knew where you were we could make better recommendations.

R

Box 13 seems for some reason exempt from the usual AoS requirement to provide a specific location, or a first name.

Macca
21-07-2015, 12:15
Box 13 seems for some reason exempt from the usual AoS requirement to provide a specific location, or a first name.

Possibly, but I can assure you that if he posts any links to Monty Python he will definately get a weeks ban....

Joe
21-07-2015, 12:16
Possibly, but I can assure you that if he posts any links to Monty Python he will definately get a weeks ban....

What is Monty Python? Is he a member here? What speakers does he use?

orbscure
21-07-2015, 12:24
Apparently his real name is Box and he is not related to Xquki who posts on TAS...

Zoidburg
21-07-2015, 12:24
It all seems a bit pointless this tbh.

Gordon Steadman
21-07-2015, 12:29
Apparently his real name is Box and he is not related to Xquki who posts on TAS...

Who has the same equipment bought at the same time...........

Spectral Morn
21-07-2015, 13:01

Box is his name, he has been asked and that is what he said it was, we have to take that one on good faith. Re location yes you are right England isn't enough. So a pm will be sent requiring the actual city be named.

Regards Neil

Box13
21-07-2015, 13:08

It means in association with perplexity

Spectral Morn
21-07-2015, 13:12
It means in association with perplexity

Box13 please reactivate your pm facility (we can't effectively moderate - which might require contacting you - if this is switched off) and can you change your location to actual city not England.

Did want to do this via pm but was unable.

Thank you in advance.

Regards Neil

Box13
21-07-2015, 13:19
Box13 please reactivate your pm facility (we can't effectively moderate - which might require contacting you - if this is switched off) and can you change your location to actual city not England.

Did want to do this via pm but was unable.

Thank you in advance.

Regards Neil

How do I activate it please?
If you wish to communicate with me privately my email address is:-

Box13
21-07-2015, 13:20

I will go and have a try but I have only been on the site a short while.

Spectral Morn
21-07-2015, 13:27

Box13 no I don't wish to email you. The PM facility is in your profile control/settings panel. Were you inputted your settings location etc. If you could switch the pm facility on please.

And can you change location to your actual city please not England. All AoS members must display city location.

Thank you

Regards Neil

mikmas
21-07-2015, 13:34
Would anyone be so kind as to recommend some loudspeakers to me.
Budget is flexible, but of course, I like value for my outlay.

I was in the same quandary about a year ago - so much choice, such a limited budget and a room about 4 metres by 5 to fill.
Having read oodles of reviews and pages and pages of hifi fora discussions I decided I wanted new ones and not the hassle of fettling something timeworn from eBay or such (I also lack the knowledge to do this). I also didn't want something the size of two coffins staring at me (been there before)
I narrowed it down to a few models and went to a large hi-fi retail outlet in the nearest city and asked to hear them.
I told the assistant that I may not buy them or if I did, it may not be from them but this didn't bother her at all and she was most helpful in demonstrating my selection and giving me time to listen (they weren't very busy)

In the end I bought a pair of Q Audio 2020i in the next upcoming sales for about £150 delivered (a real bargain) - they are utterly splendid with a beautifully rich render and I have not regretted that decision a jot.

Spectral Morn
21-07-2015, 13:43
I will go and have a try but I have only been on the site a short while.

Ok I have sorted the pm facility for you but you need to put in City location, as I don't know it.

Regards Neil

Box13
21-07-2015, 13:55
I was in the same quandary about a year ago - so much choice, such a limited budget and a room about 4 metres by 5 to fill.
Having read oodles of reviews and pages and pages of hifi fora discussions I decided I wanted new ones and not the hassle of fettling something timeworn from eBay or such (I also lack the knowledge to do this). I also didn't want something the size of two coffins staring at me (been there before)
I narrowed it down to a few models and went to a large hi-fi retail outlet in the nearest city and asked to hear them.
I told the assistant that I may not buy them or if I did, it may not be from them but this didn't bother her at all and she was most helpful in demonstrating my selection and giving me time to listen (they weren't very busy)

In the end I bought a pair of Q Audio 2020i in the next upcoming sales for about £150 delivered (a real bargain) - they are utterly splendid with a beautifully rich render and I have not regretted that decision a jot.

Thank you very much for your contribution to the thread sir.

rdpx
21-07-2015, 14:18
Getting back to the important matter of the thread in hand, I think you should probably have a look at the ORGANIC HARMONY speakers from Shape Audio. They are supposed to be very good. I have heard them described as "solid gold".

ORGANIC HARMONY SPEAKERS (http://www.whathifi.com/news/eu5000000-speakers-made-gold)

Zoidburg
21-07-2015, 14:22
Getting back to the important matter of the thread in hand, I think you should probably have a look at the ORGANIC HARMONY speakers from Shape Audio. They are supposed to be very good. I have heard them described as "solid gold".

ORGANIC HARMONY SPEAKERS (http://www.whathifi.com/news/eu5000000-speakers-made-gold)

But you'll have to move quick, for Shape Audio is only going to make one pair of its €5m Organic Harmony in Gold speakers...

BINGO, this thread can now be closed.

Gordon Steadman
21-07-2015, 14:24

I preferred my Aiwas.

rdpx
21-07-2015, 14:26
I preferred my Aiwas.

It is well known that you are deaf as a post, sir.

Gordon Steadman
21-07-2015, 15:25
It is well known that you are deaf as a post, sir.

No no really...well OK I am deaf but it is good because I don't have to hear all this burn in and stoning stuff. The Aiwas are terrific, so good in fact that the bass units are now used as full range fill in units on my big old bitsas. So it means that I am down to nine pairs of speakers to choose between rather than the previous ten. As I can't really hear any of them I just listen to the ones that look best but the eyes are fading fast so I'm not sure what I will do. Any advice?

rdpx
21-07-2015, 15:47
No no really...well OK I am deaf but it is good because I don't have to hear all this burn in and stoning stuff. The Aiwas are terrific, so good in fact that the bass units are now used as full range fill in units on my big old bitsas. So it means that I am down to nine pairs of speakers to choose between rather than the previous ten. As I can't really hear any of them I just listen to the ones that look best but the eyes are fading fast so I'm not sure what I will do. Any advice?

Your best option is probably to make a hat out of shakti stones, and change your main listening position to one of those Japanese wooden bathtubs.

Gordon Steadman
21-07-2015, 15:55
Your best option is probably to make a hat out of shakti stones, and change your main listening position to one of those Japanese wooden bathtubs.

That's great thanks. I'll look out for a few bathtub suppliers and then see which you would recommend.

Barry
21-07-2015, 16:07
That sounds like a dream set up.

Sounds like a nightmare with the phase issues involved.

Box13
21-07-2015, 16:28
Having now looked at the Tannoy Westminsters I have to be candid and say I have removed them from my list as they are to my eye a hideous monstrosity. Obviously this is a personal and subjective view point but I could not live with them and so the list is now down to nine.

Box13
21-07-2015, 16:30
"The treble can be slightly sibilant and a little untidy. They do not have what I would describe as the most refined sound".

I do not want a bright sound, so have also eliminated these.

walpurgis
21-07-2015, 16:33
Having now looked at the Tannoy Westminsters I have to be candid and say I have removed them from my list as they are to my eye a hideous monstrosity. Obviously this is a personal and subjective view point but I could not live with them and so the list is now down to nine.

Tannoys tend not to be bought for their looks.

Box13
21-07-2015, 16:35
Really ??!!!

http://www.extravaganzi.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Living-Voice-Vox-Olympian-speakers-5.jpg

walpurgis
21-07-2015, 16:35
"The treble can be slightly sibilant and a little untidy. They do not have what I would describe as the most refined sound".

You had Spendor on your list. You could add Harbeth too. Both makers produce very civilised speakers.

struth
21-07-2015, 16:36
Quite like the westies looks but not the price. probably weigh a ton too. you could always build a set of what takes your fancy. plenty kits out there that produce superb bespoke speakers

Box13
21-07-2015, 16:36
I cannot have the Edingdales as I have two dogs and three cats.

rdpx
21-07-2015, 16:38
Really ??!!!

http://www.extravaganzi.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Living-Voice-Vox-Olympian-speakers-5.jpg

That looks like K9 from doctor who. Personally I would be very disappointed if that bit on the top didn't move around and talk to me.

These will be briliant for £200:

NICE LOOKING TANNOYS (http://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/tannoy/revolution-dc6se/tann-dc6se-espr)

walpurgis
21-07-2015, 16:38
Really ??!!!

I love the way those look. But I doubt I'd like the way the price tag looks.

Box13
21-07-2015, 16:46
Ruark Prologue Two

http://i.imgur.com/08okEgC.jpg

Spender D7

http://i.imgur.com/zPa0QXHm.jpg

Sony SS-F6000

http://i.imgur.com/mL42hLjm.jpg

Hitachi Towers

http://i.imgur.com/Y97quFOm.jpg

Monitor Audio silver 10

http://i.imgur.com/eXGAbkdm.jpg

Box13
21-07-2015, 16:58
I love the way those look. But I doubt I'd like the way the price tag looks.

I humbly suggest that the price tag would be very very very much quieter than the speakers themselves!

Roy S
21-07-2015, 16:59
I've had Prologue 1s and they were civilised to the point of being yawn inducing

Box13
21-07-2015, 17:00
..........and the 'burn in' time is absolutely horrendous......

Box13
21-07-2015, 17:02
I've had Prologue 1s and they were civilised to the point of being yawn inducing

Dear Roy,
Can you be a tad more specific please?
I think they may be eliminated, if you convince me.

Roy S
21-07-2015, 17:10
Dear Roy,
Can you be a tad more specific please?
I think they may be eliminated, if you convince me.

Well I tend to go for quite a forward, some might say 'shouty' presentation (dynamic?) and these were very laid back with most types of music (at times it sounded like the tweeters weren't working)

hermit
21-07-2015, 18:28
Ruark Prologue Two

http://i.imgur.com/08okEgC.jpg

Spender D7

http://i.imgur.com/zPa0QXHm.jpg

Sony SS-F6000

http://i.imgur.com/mL42hLjm.jpg

Hitachi Towers

http://i.imgur.com/Y97quFOm.jpg

Monitor Audio silver 10

http://i.imgur.com/eXGAbkdm.jpg

You don't seem to be considering wide baffle speakers. These Tannoy (www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TANNOY-CHEVIOTS-/161760721222?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25a9b0b946) Cheviots have been fully fettled by RFC.

Spectral Morn
21-07-2015, 19:01

Not with an MF A3, hence why I suggested the Prologue 2's, they balance out.

Regards Neil

alphaGT
22-07-2015, 09:32
My advice is this, find your nearest salon, look on Google or whatever your favorite search engine, you may be surprised to find an audio salon in your area not far, and even if it is a ways to drive, make a day of it and go there. Take a favorite CD or LP or two with you, chat with the salesman, let him demo a few speakers in your price range, (you are aware that speakers can cost up to $500K?) and start from there.

There are as many opinions here as their are people, asking for an opinion with absolutely no limitations is like asking for your favorite song, just too many variables to take into account. And the results are nearly meaningless, but hearing is believing, get to where speakers are, and hear a few.

alan47
22-07-2015, 13:27

My Minstrels are crystal clear,with a very detailed and refined sound.They fill the room beautifully considering their small stature.I would not go back to anything larger now.

Roy S
22-07-2015, 13:56
Not with an MF A3, hence why I suggested the Prologue 2's, they balance out.

Used the Prologues with a variety of amps including a Yamaha AS500 & a Krell KAV250a (both of which have a detailed/dynamic presentation) and they were still very restrained, at least to my ears.

Box13
22-07-2015, 16:52
My advice is this, find your nearest salon, look on Google or whatever your favorite search engine, you may be surprised to find an audio salon in your area not far, and even if it is a ways to drive, make a day of it and go there. Take a favorite CD or LP or two with you, chat with the salesman, let him demo a few speakers in your price range, (you are aware that speakers can cost up to $500K?) and start from there.

There are as many opinions here as their are people, asking for an opinion with absolutely no limitations is like asking for your favorite song, just too many variables to take into account. And the results are nearly meaningless, but hearing is believing, get to where speakers are, and hear a few.

I would only choose something on sale or return basis.
A showroom would have different acoustics to my listening room.
I have been casting my net far and wide for advice and have now settled on a budget.
rega £800 - Amplifier £350 - new speakers £200 to £350.
I want a system that balances so I am not always wondering about the next upgrade.

I have therefore got a short list of three;

Sony SS-F6000
Monitor Audio (not got a specific model in mind)
Kent Engineering Foundary C5.

I like to know what others think and after all that is the forum in action is it not?

Gordon Steadman
22-07-2015, 16:58
http://www.whathifi.com/kef/c5/review

struth
22-07-2015, 23:29
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monitor-Audio-BX2-Main-Stereo-Speakers-/231630298722?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Zoidburg
23-07-2015, 05:33
I had a pair or monitor audio rs8 floorstanders for a couple of years. They were ok. But harsh up top and to me were bettered easily by the IPL's I now use. Not sure how the cheaper versions sound but I doubt they will be that refined.

Box13
23-07-2015, 06:26
I had a pair or monitor audio rs8 floorstanders for a couple of years. They were ok. But harsh up top and to me were bettered easily by the IPL's I now use. Not sure how the cheaper versions sound but I doubt they will be that refined.

RS8! Hhmm.
I doubt they would be harsh when fed by my amp and pre combination.
I will look into these thank you very much.

Box13
23-07-2015, 06:30
This 'is' interesting.
No one is selling any.
Maybe because they are keeping them, I am now even more interested.

aniki
23-07-2015, 07:44
This 'is' interesting.
No one is selling any.

Just for the record; like 'others'; I find your persistent use of large coloured text very irritating and wish you would stop.

Macca
23-07-2015, 07:47
It has already been agreed that Box can post in large blue font due to his eyesight condition, so please can we drop the subject now?

I'm more interested in the Hitachi Towers - they look like they could kick some ass. Can't find them for sale or even a mention of them anywhere - I'm amazed that Hitachi are still making speakers.

Zoidburg
23-07-2015, 07:48
This 'is' interesting.
No one is selling any.

So iv advised you that I found them quite harsh / easily bettered by other speakers and that plus the fact that you cant find any for sale makes you "even more interested" in them................:scratch::doh::scratch::doh:

Desmo
23-07-2015, 07:50
It has already been agreed that Box can post in large blue font due to his eyesight condition, so please can we drop the subject now?

Where was it agreed? I've honestly missed that thread.

Macca
23-07-2015, 07:56
I think it was on Box's welcome thread. I appreciate it can be a bit jarring but it is hardly the end of the world to put up with it.

Desmo
23-07-2015, 08:01
Thanks for the clarification.

He's certainly making an impact on these boards.

walpurgis
23-07-2015, 08:49
Thanks for the clarification.

He's certainly making an impact on these boards.

Better than saying nothing.

fatmarley
23-07-2015, 09:33
Worst speakers I ever owned were Dynaudio Audience 52SE - There's none on Ebay, so it may be worth looking out for a pair.

Box13
23-07-2015, 09:35
Worst speakers I ever owned were Dynaudio Audience 52SE - There's none on Ebay, so it may be worth looking out for a pair.

I am seeking floor standers fatmarley, but thank you for your time and trouble, appreciated.

rdpx
23-07-2015, 10:40
It has already been agreed that Box can post in large blue font due to his eyesight condition, so please can we drop the subject.

I don't really have a problem with the blue text, but I do wonder how it helps any eyesight condition as when actually composing a post it will not be seen in large blue font... ?

I for one am certainly looking forward to the photographs of the final system.

Is it just me who is puzzled by the seemingly happy purchase of a second hand amplifier yet an odd insistence on having to buy brand new speakers that can be returned? Can you explain your reasoning behind this, as I believe many people on here would advise that there are many enormous bargains to be had in the world of second hand loudspeakers?

Gordon Steadman
23-07-2015, 10:47
I don't really have a problem with the blue text, but I do wonder how it helps any eyesight condition as when actually composing a post it will not be seen in large blue font... ?

I for one am certainly looking forward to the photographs of the final system.

Is it just me who is puzzled by the seemingly happy purchase of a second hand amplifier yet an odd insistence on having to buy brand new speakers that can be returned? Can you explain your reasoning behind this, as I believe many people on here would advise that there are many enormous bargains to be had in the world of second hand loudspeakers?

Oh yes it is:eyebrows:

But it takes a lot of effort with small controls to achieve.

I would certainly never buy new speakers considering, as you say, the gems that you can get second hand for very modest outlay. Maybe all amps sound the same though so returns won't be necessary.

rdpx
23-07-2015, 10:52
Oh yes it is:eyebrows:

But it takes a lot of effort with small controls to achieve.
Are you referring to the text input system, Gordon, or have you finally succumbed to your inner voices?

[emoji83]

Virkon
23-07-2015, 11:13
Would Box not benefit more from our print in our posts being large blue text?

walpurgis
23-07-2015, 11:20
The speakers I tend to like are usually long out of production.

Or not even made. So I build them (must do another speaker project soon).

Barry
23-07-2015, 12:00
Would Box not benefit more from our print in our posts being large blue text?

I try to reply to Box using the same font size, colour and style as his posts.

Gordon Steadman
23-07-2015, 12:04
Are you referring to the text input system, Gordon, or have you finally succumbed to your inner voices?

[emoji83]

Both:)

hermit
23-07-2015, 12:12
Box is a 'toffee" which I believe is an indication that he supports Everton FC. Call me an old cynic but I think he just likes blue. He did go the trouble of refinishing his amp etc in Everton blue highlights. Also I'm wondering if his extended family glory in names like Trunk, Valise, Container etc? I'm such a grouch, just ignore me:)

mikmas
23-07-2015, 12:16
I try to reply to Box using the same font size, colour and style as his posts.

I considered that but most (if not all) domestic computers are provided with an adaptive text system for vision impaired users to avoid this. Having had training in web design for public systems the advice is NOT to adapt input text in this way but to allow the user to define universal text size and colour on their own work station. The logic behind this advice is sound for very good reasons that I won't bore you with but suffice that the default text size for this and other publicly accessible fora is set to allow universal adaptive measures.

YNWaN
23-07-2015, 12:49

Well quite, much as I was thinking - like so many aspects of this thread it just doesn't make sense. It's only after a post is made that it appears in larger or coloured font, not when someone is writing it - none of the rest of the threads posts will appear in large blue font either. I'm viewing this in Tapatalk which doesn't seem to support the blue font :).

Gordon Steadman
23-07-2015, 13:13
Well quite, much as I was thinking - like so many aspects of this thread it just doesn't make sense. It's only after a post is made that it appears in larger or coloured font, not when someone is writing it - none of the rest of the threads posts will appear in large blue font either. I'm viewing this in Tapatalk which doesn't seem to support the blue font :).

Sorry to disagree about this but on my Mac, if I set the font and colour, then it appears as large blue as I type. However, the buttons to set the type are small and a bit difficult to see.

However, it is hard to disagree with your comment about the strange nature of this thread and its fellows elsewhere.

Desmo
23-07-2015, 13:15
I considered that but most (if not all) domestic computers are provided with an adaptive text system for vision impaired users to avoid this. Having had training in web design for public systems the advice is NOT to adapt input text in this way but to allow the user to define universal text size and colour on their own work station. The logic behind this advice is sound for very good reasons that I won't bore you with but suffice that the default text size for this and other publicly accessible fora is set to allow universal adaptive measures.

+1 In a former job I was involved in software development and testing, and had to ensure compliance with various standards. The enhancement should be done locally at the users computer, not in the text for all users to see. However, I don't think that I want to go any more into this on this forum. We should be discussing hifi. :-)

rdpx
23-07-2015, 13:38
However, I don't think that I want to go any more into this on this forum. We should be discussing hifi. :-)

Good point and well made.

I shall attempt to get this thread back on track:

I wonder if the OP has considered wireless speakers for example the DYNAUDIO XEO (http://www.dynaudio.com/home-audio/xeo/) ?

This would avoid the need to choose what kind of speaker wire to use, and surely the answer to the question of speaker cable colouring the sound is to sidestep the need for speaker cable altogether?

Box13
23-07-2015, 17:26
So iv advised you that I found them quite harsh / easily bettered by other speakers and that plus the fact that you cant find any for sale makes you "even more interested" in them................:scratch::doh::scratch::doh:

Let me explain Zoidburg.
Having been a sponge of advice and information over the past four weeks I am now of the same opinion as several advisers: That the source is most important in a system, then the amplification and finally the speakers should do nothing more than make the information fed into them available to the listener.
I therefore suspect that the sound you described was actually the source and that you had a very transparent pair of speakers. I wonder, did you have a Japanese turntable by any chance?
As I have a really informative turntable and a rather smooth amplifier, really clear speakers would be just right for me. So your suggestion was very helpful and thank you very much sir.

Box13
23-07-2015, 17:45
"What Hi-Fi
Our Verdict *****

Best turntable £800+ Awards 2013. Relatively simple styling, but don't let his fool you – the Rega RP6 is one of the top performers at the money
Engaging and detailed sound
well-matched, own-brand cartridge
easy to use
fine build

Read more at http://www.whathifi.com/rega/rp6exact/review#MPeeAyEKuE0Av2LH.99"

"Musical Fidelity A3 Dual Mono Integrated Amplifier

The A3 is a dual mono design, meaning it is essentially
two individual pre/power amps built into one chassis. It could be
argued it's not really two mono amplifiers though, as at the minimum
the two channels still share the same volume pot and PCB (although it
does appear the left and right channels are on opposite sides of the
board). Nonetheless, the design philosophy is a good one. By preventing
each channel from sharing components, cross talk is minimized and the
sound stage should widen considerably. The dual mono design goes all
the way back to the power supplies, where you'll find two large
toroidal transformers in the front of the unit, one for each channel,
each with their own pair of filter capacitors.

The amp has a warm, full sound.

This is a superb amp, and if you get the accompanying A3 CD player, you've got a great sounding combination. They are both exquisite components, both in looks and performance".

Zoidburg
23-07-2015, 17:49
Let me explain Zoidburg.
Having been a sponge of advice and information over the past four weeks I am now of the same opinion as several advisers: That the source is most important in a system, then the amplification and finally the speakers should do nothing more than make the information fed into them available to the listener.
I therefore suspect that the sound you described was actually the source and that you had a very transparent pair of speakers. I wonder, did you have a Japanese turntable by any chance?
As I have a really informative turntable and a rather smooth amplifier, really clear speakers would be just right for me. So your suggestion was very helpful and thank you very much sir.

5hit, now you say it, its obviously where ive been going wrong all along. Right im off to ebay to try and hunt down my old pair of MA's. Looks like im gonna have to bin all my source components as well, apparently their neither jampanese or very refined.

I wish someone had told me this a few years ago it could have solved so many problems...............

Desmo
23-07-2015, 17:52
5hit, now you say it, its obviously where ive been going wrong all along. Right im off to ebay to try and hunt down my old pair of MA's. Looks like im gonna have to bin all my source components as well, apparently their neither jampanese or very refined.

I wish someone had told me this a few years ago it could have solved so many problems...............

Oh no! my turntable isn't Japanese either! Years of HiFi wasted....

hermit
23-07-2015, 18:17
Quite surreal this thread. There's logic involved but maybe not comprehension of the advice given. I had no idea that What Hifi was such a well respected source. Maybe I should check out their forum :eek:

fatmarley
23-07-2015, 18:20
Assuming What hi-fi? hasn't changed in the past 20 years - I wouldn't believe a word that's written.

struth
23-07-2015, 18:29
Assuming What hi-fi? hasn't changed in the past 20 years - I wouldn't believe a word that's written.
You'll believe what they tell you or else[emoji3]

walpurgis
23-07-2015, 18:33
I regard Hi-Fi reviews with deep suspicion and nearly as much skepticism as 'user reviews'.

For example. Remember the glowing reviews QED Silver Anniversary speaker cable used to get. It's dreadful.

RichB
23-07-2015, 18:39
What Hifi speaks only the truth and is free of any forum flavour of the month stuff hence their opinion is the only objective one out there.

Box13
23-07-2015, 19:12
My feeling chaps is, you either take heed of advice, or buy blind, that is the choice you are faced with.
To take the advice of some over others is also a pitfall waiting for you.
However, one cannot assume one piece of advice is superior to another simply because the other purports their's is best and anyone disagreeing with them is advising falsely!
I have taken as much advice as I was willing to seek and taken a mean of it all.
By personal purchase I have then found some to be more accurate than others.

Gordon Steadman
23-07-2015, 19:17
Quite surreal this thread. There's logic involved but maybe not comprehension of the advice given. I had no idea that What Hifi was such a well respected source. Maybe I should check out their forum :eek:

Same as all the rest.

My system must be wierd. The sources - nine TTs and six CD players are, for the sake of putting a figure on it, probably within 5% of each other for overall sound quality. Probably the same for the amps. I would suggest that the difference between the Quad ESLs and the Tannoy Mercurys I have in the kitchen is somewhat greater than that.

The suggestion that speakers merely pass on the information they are fed is laughable. ESLs, Horns, IB, OB, port loaded....all the same huh? There seems to be a return to the flat earth TT is king thinking here. Important of course but given that all the items are good quality then for me, the speakers have more effect on the sound than any other component. I'm not sure how the OP got his information from what has been posted.

walpurgis
23-07-2015, 19:19
you either take heed of advice, or buy blind

The best thing is to listen to equipment before buying. Not always possible I know. The next best thing is to listen to as much different gear as you can. Then maybe, you can develop an ear for what type of equipment you prefer.

The opinion of others is always coloured by their experience or lack of. There are one or two people who's opinion I'd trust in regard to the audible merits and suitablity of Hi-Fi. But usually I trust my own judgement.

struth
23-07-2015, 19:21
Inclined to agree Gordon. Gets good sensitive speakers and your half way there.

Box13
23-07-2015, 20:05
The opinion of others is always coloured by their experience or lack of.

To use a colloquialism once again you have hit the nail smack right on the head.

vegman1973
23-07-2015, 20:14
How about Audio Note ANE fantastic all round speaker. Put them in the right position ie in a corner and the bass is earth shattering. I want for nothing with these

Conan
23-07-2015, 22:49
My feeling chaps is, you either take heed of advice, or buy blind, that is the choice you are faced with.
To take the advice of some over others is also a pitfall waiting for you.
However, one cannot assume one piece of advice is superior to another simply because the other purports their's is best and anyone disagreeing with them is advising falsely!
I have taken as much advice as I was willing to seek and taken a mean of it all.
By personal purchase I have then found some to be more accurate than others.

Your quest for speakers is like asking people which is their favourite dish.
Go out, listen for yourself and choose.

rdpx
23-07-2015, 23:32
To use a colloquialism once again you have hit the nail smack right on the head.

As the saying goes, you must make hay while the stable door is bolted, or else the horse may leap into the water.

mikmas
23-07-2015, 23:44
As the saying goes, you must make hay while the stable door is bolted, or else the horse may leap into the water.

... and the sun always shines on he who grasps the nettle while the iron is hot

rdpx
23-07-2015, 23:56

Exactly.

A nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse, eh, if you know what I mean, nudge nudge.

:eyebrows:

mikmas
24-07-2015, 00:18
Exactly.

A nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse, eh, if you know what I mean, nudge nudge.

:eyebrows:

Aye - as long as you don't look at the mantlepiece when you're stoking the sleeping dog ....

:brickwall:

struth
24-07-2015, 04:08
Or poking

Box13
24-07-2015, 07:06

You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.