PDA

View Full Version : Enjoyment !!!!

talisman2
18-07-2015, 19:39
hi pop-pickers , i'm afraid i don't do 'bake-offs' or NEBO's , but what i do enjoy is to go up to my 'den' on the top floor , crack open a few 'tinnies ' and enjoy tha company of Dire Straits , Kate Bush etc..... i have been to a couple of hi-fi shows lately , but i'm afraid that after a couple of visits to the various rooms , i am bored !! i love to play my own system and my own choice of music , and the thought of spending a night with a dozen or so semi-strangers swapping & changing gear just does not appeal to me at all .
at the moment i am listening to the Roksan pre with the Quad 520 f power amp through a pair of 'cobbled up Castle Harlech's and my little 'cheapie' Trio turntable and enjoying the music as much as i do with the much more expensive stuff that i own .
i guess i am just an anti-social , miserable git (another Victor Meldrew!!)

RichB
18-07-2015, 19:53
hi pop-pickers , i'm afraid i don't do 'bake-offs' or NEBO's , but what i do enjoy is to go up to my 'den' on the top floor , crack open a few 'tinnies ' and enjoy tha company of Dire Straits , Kate Bush etc..... i have been to a couple of hi-fi shows lately , but i'm afraid that after a couple of visits to the various rooms , i am bored !! i love to play my own system and my own choice of music , and the thought of spending a night with a dozen or so semi-strangers swapping & changing gear just does not appeal to me at all .
at the moment i am listening to the Roksan pre with the Quad 520 f power amp through a pair of 'cobbled up Castle Harlech's and my little 'cheapie' Trio turntable and enjoying the music as much as i do with the much more expensive stuff that i own .
i guess i am just an anti-social , miserable git (another Victor Meldrew!!)

Each to their own.

Most of spend our time with our music and systems alone, every so often its good to see and hear what others have got and find things we like in them. I think you've missed the point a bit.

talisman2
18-07-2015, 20:05
what point ??

Audio Al
18-07-2015, 20:25
If you haven't been 2 a bake off , do it just once its 75% social , eating drinking and being merry and lots of chatting with other forum members , also lots of talking bollocks :D
And listening 2 some tunes on varied equipment

I was at a bake off today , QUALITY :D

Marco
18-07-2015, 21:11
I was at a bake off today , QUALITY :D

Did you report it in the Community Network section? ;)

Marco.

Barry
18-07-2015, 21:47
Hi pop-pickers , I'm afraid I don't do 'bake-offs' or NEBO's , but what I do enjoy is to go up to my 'den' on the top floor, crack open a few 'tinnies ' and enjoy tha company of Dire Straits , Kate Bush etc..... I have been to a couple of hi-fi shows lately , but I'm afraid that after a couple of visits to the various rooms, I am bored !! I love to play my own system and my own choice of music, and the thought of spending a night with a dozen or so semi-strangers swapping & changing gear just does not appeal to me at all .
at the moment I am listening to the Roksan pre with the Quad 520 f power amp through a pair of 'cobbled up Castle Harlech's and my little 'cheapie' Trio turntable and enjoying the music as much as I do with the much more expensive stuff that I own .

I guess I am just an anti-social, miserable git (another Victor Meldrew!!)

I'm inclined to agree. I long ago lost interest in audio shows: badly set up gear playing obvious and 'impressive' music (usually far too loudly), with in some cases a coterie of 'groupies' (you know who I mean) fawning over everything. :( Very occasionaly, there might be a room which had been set up well, playing a sensible, balanced programme of music at the correct volume, but these were few and far between. In fact the last two shows at Whittlbury Hall I attended, were done with the intention and expectation of meeting up with some fellow AoS members.

Bake-offs can be interesting, educational and enjoyable - but not if the intention of any participant is to 'willy wave'. They can be thought provoking and may cause you to re-think, but if they cause you to come away disappointed with your own system that you were previously quite happy with, then they have performed a disservice. Just look at them as a potentially enjoyable social get-together to enjoy a few tunes, drink a few beers and, as Al has said, to 'talk audio bollocks'! :lol:

PS The Quad 520f is an excellent amplifier; I use one in my second system. :)

Marco
18-07-2015, 22:08
Hi Barry,

Bake-offs can be interesting, educational and enjoyable - but not if the intention of any participant is to 'willy wave'. They can be thought provoking and may cause you to re-think, but if they cause you to come away disappointed with your own system that you were previously quite happy with, then they have performed a disservice.

Interesting... If the system you heard was better, wouldn't you use the experience as a valuable learning curve from which to apply what you'd heard to your own system, with a view to improving it? That's what I do whenever I find myself in such a position.

Otherwise, for me, you just stagnate and your system never evolves or improves :)

Marco.

Barry
18-07-2015, 22:22
Hi Barry,

Interesting... If the system you heard was better, wouldn't you use the experience as a valuable learning curve from which to apply what you'd heard to your own system, with a view to improving it? That's what I do whenever I find myself in such a position.

Otherwise, for me, you just stagnate and your system never evolves or improves :)

Marco.

If the bake-off was carried out in your own listening room and/or used the same equipment as you, then yes I would agree. But to hear a totally different system in a different listening environment is unrealistic. I have heard such, thought that they sounded better than my system and hence have come away disappointed. However upon returning to my own set up, I realise that mine is no less better (different maybe but not inferior) and I continue to remain satisfied with it.

The only realistic way to do bake-offs is to replace one component at a time in your own system, preferably on your own. I say on your own, as independent listeners can sometimes distract you from your own judgement by their comments, body language etc. It is through such individual 'bake-offs' at home that my system has evolved.

awkwardbydesign
18-07-2015, 22:50
Here in Plymouth we mostly know each other fairly well. There's a new arrival hosting a bake-off tomorrow, but the rest of us are old friends. So mainly it will be chatting, rather like here. Just face to face with scones. And clotted cream (it's Devon!).
http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?121739-Sunday-19th-Plymouth

Audio Al
19-07-2015, 02:16
Did you report it in the Community Network section? ;)

Marco.

It was a WW bake off

petrat
19-07-2015, 08:58
It was a WW bake off

Has it turned you vegetarian? Or are you still in a meat-induced coma? :D

Joe
19-07-2015, 09:59
It was a WW bake off

Willy Waver?

struth
19-07-2015, 10:04
world War?

Marco
19-07-2015, 10:09
FFS, don't you daftees know anything? It's the world famous Wassock-Worrying competition, of course! :doh:

:D :eyebrows:

Marco.

Puffin
19-07-2015, 10:28
Alf, I tend to agree with you. I went to loads of the hifi news shows at Heathrow in the 80's and 90's and there are only 3 systems that ever stuck in my mind as being for me. Isn't this the point that if the system you are listening to does not conform to your tastes, then it is dismissed as poor. If I don't like what I hear then I rubbish it. It could of course just be down to a poor choice of demo music. I always came back home after a show, put my system on and said "oooh that's better". Is it because your expectations are raised when listening to kit that is sooo much more expensive than your own crap? When you get home, drink in hand feet up and relaxed there is not really any expectation of hearing anything that you haven't heard before....perhaps.

This is an insular hobby, but it is good to meet with other nutters occasionally.

Audio Al
19-07-2015, 13:48
OK you asked for it

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?119823-BBQ-with-Jim-and-Dom-Saturday-18th-July

post 125 on shows the feast :D

struth
19-07-2015, 13:55
so a bbq then:lol: dont see much musicating

Marco
19-07-2015, 15:08
OK you asked for it

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?119823-BBQ-with-Jim-and-Dom-Saturday-18th-July

post 125 on shows the feast :D

Can't see you in any of the pics, daftee - unless you were hiding! ;)

Marco.

Marco
19-07-2015, 15:09

Indeed... Too many pics of pot-bellied old duffers, and not enough hi-fi kit! :D

Marco.

Audio Al
19-07-2015, 15:11
Turn Table Kronos 004/250
T/Arm & Cart Phantom 12" Io Gold
SUT/Phono SilverSlagle/CocoLCR
Digital Source 1 Nagra CDP
Speakers Acapella High Violon
Pre Amp Aurorasound Preda
Power Amp Nelson Pass Aleph 2 monos

The tunes were played on this system :eyebrows:

and I provided a Revox A77 that made it sound even better :)

Idlewithnodrive
19-07-2015, 15:12
Looking at the pics, WW = wonderfully welcoming or weight watchers ? :)

Idlewithnodrive
19-07-2015, 15:15

Equally as valid an approach to a bake off IMO :)

The Black Adder
19-07-2015, 16:22
Indeed... Too many pics of pot-bellied old duffers, and not enough hi-fi kit! :D

Marco.

+1 there... lol - Me thinks the primary objective was the BBQ... which looks good btw :)

Idlewithnodrive
19-07-2015, 16:32
+1 there... lol - Me thinks the primary objective was the BBQ... which looks good btw :)

Lol.

AoS / Wigwam - ne'er the twain shall meet; good on you Al :cheers:

Barry
19-07-2015, 16:34

Not so much “musicating”, more like masticating?

Box13
20-07-2015, 07:16

Marco.

What is the average age of those on Art of Sound please Marco?

Marco
20-07-2015, 07:18
Dunno... Probably mid to late 40s :)

Marco.

Box13
20-07-2015, 07:28
Dunno... Probably mid to late 40s :)

Marco.

I thought you would have everyone's date of birth.
Sorry to have troubled you, I thought I had a good reason for asking.

Marco
20-07-2015, 08:09
I thought you would have everyone's date of birth.

It'll all be in the system, but with over 11,000 members I'm hardly likely to go through all their profiles to provide you with a definitive answer! ;)

However, experience suggests that it would be mid to late 40s... We've got members here in their early 20s, and ones in their late 60s, but most fall somewhere in between.

Marco.