PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer DV 737

Macca
18-07-2015, 11:46
Got one of these off eBay for £20 delivered for no reason other than it was £20 delivered. I closed my eBay account to stop me doing this but since discovered you can still buy BIN stuff as a private sale so back at square one. Quite a pretty looking thing in champagne finish:

http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac233/Macca_photos_2009/pioneer%20dv737%20images.jpg (http://s903.photobucket.com/user/Macca_photos_2009/media/pioneer%20dv737%20images.jpg.html)

Until you get close up and realise its awesome plasticity. That's not a brushed aluminium facia, I'm afraid. Still, you can add a ton of brushed ally and it does sweet f.a for the sound so on to more important things - like the sound.

When I buy a DVD player off of eBay for twenty notes I usually expect two things. One, it will have a DVD inside it. Two, it won't work, at least not properly.
This time the DVD was 'Mama Mia - The Movie'. (Last time it was 'Transformers 3'). I removed it from the awesome plastic tray and, having sent it spinning frisby -like across the room, put some music in instead. So expectation one was met but two wasn't in that the player did work, once the drawer had rumbled back in. No smooth Sony type mech here, although not as noisy as my Blu ray player which sounds like an eighteenth century threshing machine in need of a service.

Interesting sound, a bit sparkly in the top in a sort of pseudo-high end Japanese sort of way. Warm bass with a bit of weight to it. Ultimately not very exciting or involving, but I did feel on occasion that there is actually a very good CD player in there somewhere, trying to get out. Not much on the net, indeed pretty much all I could finds was a few old posts on this very site advising that it made a good transport. So I advertised for a cheap DAC. Severalhours later, though, on firing up the player again it has now decided to stop reading discs. So that's that.

It does, however, take top spot from my B&O player in being my shortest-lived CD playing acquisition (if you discount those that were DOA) managing only about 10 hours on it from arrival to death.

Great hobby this, remind me again why we do it...?

struth
18-07-2015, 11:54
got 2 707,s or is it 717...a!yways they usually sojnd ok but are great transports. might just need a clean..they usually do Matrin. not sure if the mech is the same as mine but i have a spare one for mine..worth trying. if you want my spare mech its not too much probs to fit...might be a difference so youd best check with someone like istari knight.

Macca
18-07-2015, 11:59
Cheers Grant. Not sure I can be arsed to do anything with it except ad it to the massive pile of players awaiting repair (I have got a book on how to do it just need to get around to reading it; probably in retirement if I make it that far ;) )

brian2957
18-07-2015, 12:00
Jeez Martin , that's not good . Can nobody on here have a look at it for you . TBH it sounds like you're ' heart broken ' and it's something of a loss mate .
Another one for the loft buddy :lol:

Gordon Steadman
18-07-2015, 12:01
I'm glad you did it as it's put me right off:eyebrows:

There was one here for not much more and I was tempted. Think I'll stick to the six CD spinners I already have! One of those is an old Toshiba DVD player which still works OK but sounds rather like you describe the Pioneer.

eBay is so terribly tempting but rather than close the account, I'd rather give in to temptation:lol:

struth
18-07-2015, 12:02
know what you mean martin. i had one that we!t failty but it wasnt the mech so i actually took the whole kit n caboodle out .. a few screws and a few plugs then put it in a box and tossed the rest...its there for now anyways if you need it

Macca
18-07-2015, 12:06
Just had a count up, I now have ten dead or faulty players and 5 working ones. based on this admittedly small sample Sony is the brand to go for with regards to reliability.

mikmas
18-07-2015, 12:52
Always hard to resist - even though a little voice in me head tells me "they're cheap cos no one wants them - and no one wants them cos they're crap"

Still - if I hadn't bought a very old Technics tuner (£15 quid and free postage - but also crap...) I wouldn't have got back in to listening to radio :)

spm
18-07-2015, 12:59
I left a cd in a player I sold on ebay about 6 months ago. I also have a cd in a car player in the loft from a swap I did 4 years ago which I have been to lazy to put back just to retrieve the cd.

Macca
18-07-2015, 13:01
I have an old Technics tuner I got for free - and that was back in the day when tuners were not generally free, even old Technics ones. It works fine, I just never listen to radio. Can't stand the adverts.