PDA

View Full Version : Industrial Strength Rock from Riverside; an album review.

Box13
18-07-2015, 08:46
Industrial Strength Rock from Riverside

http://i.imgur.com/8IOi0p3m.jpg

Second Life Syndrome - 2005

1. After 03:31.
The album starts with this whispered vocal and accompanied by eerie keyboards.Then the band pound out. The singing is top notch. [B]

2. Volte Face 08:40.
Following a keyboard seg from track one this track transforms into a very upbeat second track. Excellent chunky riffage from the guitar. There is also some excellent and seemingly effortless bass work on here, which adds to the excitement. [A-]

3. Conceiving You 03:40.
After Volte Face we get a lovely piano introduction to a decidedly more low key number.Once again perfect vocals even though the piece is more melodic. The theme is the consideration of others. [B-]

4. Second Life Syndrome 15:40.
A tour de force of a track. intelligent drumming and some sublime lead guitar. The approach is super ship yard. I love my rock with gut sand this track threatens to be an all time favourite.The central seg eases the pace with some fruity keyboard chords before:- the climactic, explosive finale'. If you don't listen to any other track, try this one. It is what Riverside are all about. [A-]

5. Artificial Smile 05:27.
Any track following Second Life Syndrome was always going to be something of a come down, but Artificial Smile is a winner in it's own right. it chugs with great pace augmented by heavy riffing. A psyche sensation. The 'Honey Monster' vocals are avoided in preference for baritone roaring. A belter. [B+]

6. I Turned You Down 04:34.
With track six the band are really hitting their stride. Superb performances from all four members, though one can be forgiven at times for assuming there are more than a quartet blasting the speakers. This is an alter-love song. Impressive wailing guitar underpinned by some excellent bass and drum work. Marius is really superb considering English is not his first language. [A-]

7. Reality Dream III 05:01.
Just incredibly awesome.
Begins with great harmonics and then they really go for it!
I mean really go for it!
Mighty fine rock. Music on a diet of raw red meat. If you want to give your system some weight training, play this at eleven o'clock on the potentiometre. [A]

8. Dance with the Shadow 11:38
Fabulous bass lines and breathy vocals. How can any band continue such breath taking quality throughout an entire album? I think I'm beginning to tire, but Riverside are not! A rock drone par-excellence. Both the dogs laid on their back to this one, with their feet in the air surrendering to the onslaught. [B+]

9. Before 05:23
Not exactly a ballad, but certainly a more sedate pace. Great bass and drum work underpinning this slower tempo-ed observation.Very suitable as a final track and it even ups the ante for a dramatic conclusion. [A-]

http://i.imgur.com/pCLON4vm.jpg

If you like your rock with raw meat, steel and fabulous adeptitude, this is a must listen.

I have no financial connection to Riverside, nor any other association other than just listening to the music.