PDA

View Full Version : Favorite album / Favorite track - lets expand our music tastes (mine at least)

The Vinyl Adventure
18-09-2009, 18:31
I think to an extent this might duplicate other threads, but there is a greater point to this for me at least.
my tastes are very varied but i think for the most part i probably only know the more main stream stuff and would be interested how i can expand out of that.
to do that, i hope by listing albums/tracks i love, it might help people, help me?

(this is also bred out of the very happy experience i have had of recently becomeing alot more interested in the music agian (for a while, the hifi interest had taken over a little bit) good old vinyl/1210 is been putting a smile on my face for a good few weeks now!)

anyway...

...i shall start with a good example

a favorite album of mine is 'madman across the water' by elton john
i like the whole album - every track! but my favorite track is 'holiday inn' i love the really intricate twiddly guitar, the strings, the whole sound... i have no idea what the song is about but it just sounds so happy and is so completly satisfying to listen too!! it sets hairs on end every listen!

so heres the question - knowing what i have just said can anyone else make suggestions on what else i might like?

this is the first of many examples, there is loads of music that i would like more of.
(dan i know you will be very helpful with this but i cant just ring you everytime i think of something and expect you to remember for next time we see each other)

hopefully this isnt too much of a duplicate to go unnoticed as for me (and hopfully others too) it could become a usefull resource!

cheers for any help

The Vinyl Adventure
18-09-2009, 22:44
ah well somuch for that idea then... dan looks like your still my music guru :)

Alex_UK
18-09-2009, 23:04
Hi Hamish - I was going to look into a few things - "scrobbling" which I think is some sort of "recommendation engine" - and the itunes "Genius" feature, neither of which I know much about, but I *think* they take tunes you like, and come up with similar or associated suggestions - but, I think they rely on more than one track. Personally, I don't know the album/track from Elton John, so I can't help - I was hoping for a technological cheat! ;)

The Grand Wazoo
18-09-2009, 23:12
Oh, go on then!

I never much went for Elton John, but had an interesting evening listening to some of his older albums a few weeks back.

He used to be in the same bag as Rod Stewart a while back, but somehow, they got separated.
Lots of folk don't realise what a great rock & blues singer Rod was, way back. One of my favourite albums is The Faces - 'A Nod's as Good as a Wink to a Blind Horse'. It's got some great Rod Stewart stuff on it, but there are also some fantastic songs by Ronnie Lane. My best track from 'A Nod...' is 'Debris' a really touching song about his father.

ar3uIUv-874

This isn't the Faces - a shame because the original features some fantastically subtle guitar playing by Ron Wood.

Rod also sang in The Jeff Beck Group
Led Zeppelin: Year Zero minus one

c8c0uzSbcrg

Alex_UK
18-09-2009, 23:12
Just listened to that track - don't know why, but it made me think "Billy Joel" - not sure if you're a fan of his or not? "The Stranger" might be a good album to try if you don't know it (Spotify have it. "Innocent Man" has a bit of cheese, but still aweome too, IMO)

The Grand Wazoo
18-09-2009, 23:23
Back to early Elton John though, I think he was very influenced by Tim Hardin back then. I've never heard it said, but I just get the idea from the 'feel' of some of his songs.

My best Tim Hardin track -
'How Can You Hang on to a Dream?'

MVnADo9OXGk

The Vinyl Adventure
18-09-2009, 23:27
Alex: have mooched through napsters recommend stuff based on my choices, but I have found the whole experience very tedious and uninspirering! There's nothing like a human recomendation in my books!

Chris: I have Rod Stuarts first 2 albums, much to the dismay of my missis, she doesn't like him at all? That a nod.. Is on m list of albums to buy!

The Grand Wazoo
18-09-2009, 23:29
Holiday Inn reminds me of some of the softer things Lowell George did with Little Feat & on his solo album 'Thanks I'll Eat it Here'

............especially '"20 Million Things To Do'

Can't find a link to it though

The Vinyl Adventure
18-09-2009, 23:35
Good stuff chris, exactly the sort o comments I was after, I shall investigte!

The Grand Wazoo
18-09-2009, 23:42
y'welcome!

.........I'm jest sitting 'ere waitin' fer the next album/track!!!

(...but give it a while for some other Elton suggestions - I bet Beechy can help you out!)

DSJR
19-09-2009, 09:13
I like too many albums across the genres to make a definitive choice, but "Tales of Mystery and Imagination - Edgar Allen Poe" by The Alan Parsons Project has to be in there somewhere as it was quite unlike anything I'd previously heard - same as TD's "Phaedra" which sadly isn't well recorded in the final analysis...

snapper
19-09-2009, 10:56
...i shall start with a good example

a favorite album of mine is 'madman across the water' by elton john

Good choice Hamish.

I have an older brother,4 years,who force fed me Elton John music in the early '70's,and even dragged me along to the Christmas concert at The Glasgow Apollo,in 1973.

My favourite track from 'Madman' was and still is,'Tiny Dancer'.

I'm trying to remember what other music he listened to,apart from the usual suspects and all I can remember so far,was Blue Mink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2hZM6IYYEk&feature=related

snapper
19-09-2009, 10:58
Well that link didn't work.

Try here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2hZM6IYYEk&feature=related

Joe
22-09-2009, 16:56
The best song ever recorded by anyone ever is of course 'Waterloo Sunset' by The Kinks, but as far as singer-songwriter recommendations go, I'm a fan of Jackson Browne's early stuff, specifically 'For Everyman' and on that album, 'Redneck Friend' featuring one Elton John on piano.

Jason P
22-09-2009, 17:54
One of my fave albums of the moment is Beirut's 'The Flying Club Cup', and from that I'd choose "A Sunday Smile' as fave track.

sjRpHckCBKg

Jason

TheGreenManalishi
24-11-2009, 11:36
For me, The Who - "Who's Next" - Song is Over.

St3v3
24-11-2009, 14:05
One of my fave albums of the moment is Beirut's 'The Flying Club Cup', and from that I'd choose "A Sunday Smile' as fave track.

Jason

I love that album. I saw them in Norway recently and they were fantastic. :)

How about that last Bon Iver album? Excellent stuff.

Alex_UK
24-11-2009, 14:30
I love that album.

I have Beirut's debut - The Gulag Orkestar - didn't realise they had released a second - thanks for that, There's also an interesting looking "EP" March of the Zapotec and Realpeople Holland on Spotify - "EP" being a strange title for an 11 track work? :scratch:

http://open.spotify.com/album/1PqdQxyyZ7rJ6ZZayXazph

Jason P
24-11-2009, 16:28
There's also an interesting looking "EP" March of the Zapotec and Realpeople Holland on Spotify - "EP" being a strange title for an 11 track work? :scratch:

Yes, March of the Zapotec is Zac Condon's (for he is Beirut really) foray into South American music. Not as accessible as 'The Flying Club Cup' IMHO but good nonetheless. Realpeople Holland is his experimental electronica EP, again completely different but with a typical Beirut sound, some really great tunes on it. It is (to quote a footballing term) an album of two halves (or 2 EPs)!

Alex, you may have this with Gulag Orkestrar as it was bundled with some copies but it's also worth checking out the 'Lon Gisland' ep. I've got two copies as I didn't realise my copy of Gulag had another disc in the back:doh:

Jason

Alex_UK
24-11-2009, 17:28
Ah, I see - thanks for the explanation Jason!

Stratmangler
24-11-2009, 17:45
Three favourite albums for me in no particular order.........

Supertramp - Crime of the Century
Deep Purple - Who Do We Think We Are
John Martyn - Solid Air

Not a poor or weak song on any album.

Chris:)

John
24-11-2009, 18:42
Jeff Buckley Grace What a album I never tire of it Jeff voice has that incredable mixture of being haunting sensual and deeply moving all at the same time and Lover you should've come over is for me close to perfection that mixture of hope within the pain of love difficulties

Pain of Salvation Remedy Lane Its always hard for me to choose between the first 4 albums but perhaps Remedy Lane just holds it for me

Jonas Helborg Shawn Lane Jeff Sipe: Temporal analogues of paradise my fav fusion album of all time Each time I listen to it hear something new Here is a quote from Jonas about the album that sums up it all up well "Temporal Analogues of Paradise is about truth in music. When Shawn and I started playing with Jeff, we were for the first time able to step out of the confinement of set compositions for entire concerts, and improvise in the true sense of the word. When you are immediately heard and responded to by 2 other people, like in a verbal conversation, you have to make a decision if you are going to speak your mind and heart or if you are going to do a preconceived routine. We had many moments of musically being true, honest and present.

The joy of being in the rare moment of time that is now and expressing that without references to other moments, just now, is what happened to us on quite a few occasions during tours in '96.

Paradise must be of no time, we are imprisoned in time. The closest we can get to the real thing would be the temporal analogues of paradise. When we played it we were there, listening to it I hope you can get close"