PDA

View Full Version : Hi newbie here that will bugging you all with questions!

griff74
15-07-2015, 09:10
Hi all, just thought I would introduce myself.
I have recently (this weekend) acquired a free pair of 80's Kef C60's (serial number 2005 so I assume they are early ones, 86 maybe?), they were left in a house my brother has just bought and I caught my sister in law about to bin them on Sunday so I thought I would rescue them, even though they looked in a right state, they were completely white with dust, cobwebs and what looked like snail trails (the house is very old, 1700's cottage and has been empty for a while). I got them home, gave them a good going over with the handheld Dyson then used 3 buckets of slightly soapy warm water and they came up a treat, just a few chips, which as they are ash black I can fill in with a black marker and one of the grills has some of the mesh peeling (I might glue it but I intend to use them sans grills anyway!)
Thankfully I had got them cleaned up before my OH had come downstairs and saw the state of them!
I didn't know if they actually worked or not and didn't want to hook them up to my brand new Onkyo AV amp or my old Denon one so I dragged a very old Sony midi-system out of the cellar and hooked it up and to my surprise they work, all drivers ok but the sound was a bit muddy at first, so I thought I would leave them on at a moderate volume and see what happens.
After about 40 mins they sort of woke up, became very clear and musical so I swapped them onto my old Denon AV amp and cranked up the volume and all I can say is wow, I am very impressed, very detailed and clear highs, lovely controlled bass and mids, I'm hooked on old hifi now!
I recently paid an obscene (for me!) amount of money on a new Onkyo AV amp and the Dali Zensor 1 5.1 system for the living room, which btw are awesome, but these old Kef's have such a rich, controlled and detailed sound, I know they aren't from Kef's renowned Reference series but to me (and for free!) they sound great.
So, sorry for being very long winded, I have now sourced some period correct stands for them, 36cm high, Kef recommend between 30-40cm high stands and I am now searching Ebay for a period correct amp, NAD, Rotel, something like that so I will find the correct forum to ask which would go best with them.

walpurgis
15-07-2015, 09:38
Hello Andrew. Welcome to AOS.

You've come to the right place. Our members have experience of probably all of the older gear you might be interested in.

I'd suggest starting a thread in the 'Blank Canvas' area and asking your questions. You'll get plenty of replies.

Tell us what music you listen to and outline what sort of system you want to end up with.

When you have it all sorted out. Bung some photos in 'The Gallery'. We like pictures.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

griff74
15-07-2015, 10:04
Thanks for your reply Geoff, I shall get a thread started there as soon as the forum lets me!

struth
15-07-2015, 10:06
Welcome aboard Andrew. Sure youll find plenty of advice forthcoming. enjoy the Kefs and well done for saving them

griff74
15-07-2015, 10:28
Thanks Grant, I'm rather pleased with myself for saving them, I was kind of in shock when my sis in law said they were for the tip, was a struggle to get them in my little Abarth 500 to get them home but am so glad I did, they didn't deserve to die!!

struth
15-07-2015, 10:51
Decent speakers those. real wood too. think they were 1988 ish. you can fill the holes /chips with black wax. itll make a better job. as long as they are not on a corner or silly deep then soft wax will do fine. you can get it on the bay or amazon fairly cheap.

griff74
15-07-2015, 11:27
Decent speakers those. real wood too. think they were 1988 ish. you can fill the holes /chips with black wax. itll make a better job. as long as they are not on a corner or silly deep then soft wax will do fine. you can get it on the bay or amazon fairly cheap.

Oh black wax I shall try and get some, they are just light scratches\chips mostly, thanks for that.
I have noticed when looking into the speakers that some have a Kef badge under the grills and some don't(early ones didn't have them fitted maybe?), mine don't, wonder if I could get some as I will be using them without the grills!

walpurgis
15-07-2015, 11:33
You get KEF badges on eBay (usually at silly prices). Won't make the speakers sound any better though! :)

griff74
15-07-2015, 11:43
You get KEF badges on eBay (usually at silly prices). Won't make the speakers sound any better though! :)
Yeah but it will stop people asking "what make are those" all the time! lol

Barry
16-07-2015, 13:55
Welcome to AoS Andrew.

Enjoy the Forum

Regards
Barry

Eagle owl
16-07-2015, 21:28
Hello and welcome Andrew.

Geoff. :wave:

griff74