PDA

View Full Version : Your football team and how you fancy your chances this coming season

HackneyRF
13-07-2015, 14:31
For those of you who are interested in football, for a bit of fun tell us who are your team, how long you have supported them and how do you fancy your chances this coming season. Friendly banter only of course please folks.

I'll start.

I'm a Coventry City supporter since 1973. As always I'm pretty optimistic. But it's not been easy these last few years. We now have Tony Mowbray as manager so I'm pretty hopeful of some exciting, attacking football and a play-off place at least. A cup win over The Villa or Leicester City would do nicely too.

Cheers

Loz

struth
13-07-2015, 14:45
Used to be daft on footie but dont really watch any now. am an honoury WBA fan and once upon a time in the west a Rangers fan for my sins. now I make do with Soccer Manager where i have been relatively successful. my fav teams are Boca, Dortmund*2 and Barca*2 thereplus a Man u that has won league 1 every year lol.

ps I have 2 Citee sides too and just won another trophey tonight with one winning 5-1 v Everton ;) Ronaldo opened the route

gsq4848
13-07-2015, 15:22
Tottenham Hotspur fan since I was nipper in the late sixties. Bit of a family thing, supporting Spurs (family was London / Surrey based back in the day). First watched them play at White Hart Lane in 1978 (when they spent a season in the old division two). Attended plenty of games at WHL and across London in the eighties, was at the UEFA cup final in '84 when Spurs won on penalties; also went to a couple of Wembley finals. Apart from a visit to WHL in 2012 my support is now channeled via live TV. Pessimism is the required state of mind when supporting Spurs; no use wasting energy believing they might win something!

Box13
13-07-2015, 15:59
I have been a fan since childhood and now support them each year with the first second and third team shirt.

awkwardbydesign
13-07-2015, 18:57
Man City and quite hopeful, thanks.

Tarzan
13-07-2015, 19:02
The Arsenal:youtheman: will win the Prem by 14 points at least.

She Wore! She Wore!

Stratmangler
14-07-2015, 17:59
Man City and quite hopeful, thanks.

Displaced Manc?

Stratmangler
14-07-2015, 18:21
Another Manchester City supporter here.
My Grandad was a Blue, and pretty well all of my family on both sides are Blues.
The only ones with an affiliation for the other lot a) don't really follow footie, and b) only claim to do it for effect.

I remember my first game at Maine Road was between City and Liverpool - Shankly led his team off the bus.
Happy days, with Lee, Bell, Summerbee, Doyle, Book, Corrigan, Donachie, Booth, and Marsh.

It was this game :)
iC8KKrZ0FrE

Things have changed a lot since then.
With regard to our chance this coming season - I think it will be better for us than last season.

RobbieGong
14-07-2015, 20:02
Leeds United - born in Leeds hence. We've been stuck in the Championship for ages and I dont see the point in going up 'til there 'ready'

oldson
14-07-2015, 20:16
Liverpool and worried!!!!
we need a proven striker to fill in for sicknote Sturridge.
oh, and a defensive coach would be nice.

Audio Al
15-07-2015, 05:09
He who spends the most wins as in most sports

:)

Stratmangler
15-07-2015, 06:09

And what's that got to do with the thread?
Your comment could be construed as trolling.

Box13
15-07-2015, 07:37
Liverpool and worried!!!!
we need a proven striker to fill in for sicknote Sturridge.
oh, and a defensive coach would be nice.

Sterling needs some get up and go as well.

Box13
15-07-2015, 07:39
I think Martinez will really put his stamp on the team this season and my prediction is 8th place.

Stratmangler
15-07-2015, 08:24
Sterling needs some get up and go as well.

Tell me about it :doh:
£44,000,000 for a player that has done nothing.
He's not even a prodigious goalscorer - that would be some justification for his being brought in. If he had a decent assist tally then than would be in his favour.
He was too "big" to play for the England U21s - there's summat not right there.

I'm wondering why City have bought him to be honest.
We have more than a few talented young players coming through the ranks.

Marco
15-07-2015, 10:02
Hi 'Box',

Are you 'Xquki' on TAS: http://theaudiostandard.net/thread/1280/hello-audio-standard ?

It's not a problem, in case you think it is, but I was just curious. Seems a bit of a coincidence, with you being a Toffees fan and having virtually the same system as 'Xquki'! ;)

Anyway, if so, it's good to have another female member here :)

Marco.

P.S Being a Glasgow Celtic fan, I shall contribute properly to this thread later.

Box13
15-07-2015, 10:12
Hi 'Box',

Are you 'Xquki' on TAS: http://theaudiostandard.net/thread/1280/hello-audio-standard ?

It's not a problem, in case you think it is, but I was just curious. Seems a bit of a coincidence, with you being a Toffees fan and having virtually the same system as 'Xquki'! ;)

Anyway, if so, it's good to have another female member here :)

Marco.

P.S Being a Glasgow Celtic fan, I shall contribute properly to this thread later.

Xquki is my girlfriend.
If she touches my downstairs rig when I get it, she will not be from that moment onward ha ha haha

Box13
15-07-2015, 10:15
He's not even a prodigious goalscorer - that would be some justification for his being brought in. If he had a decent assist tally then than would be in his favour.

You got £44m for him ha ha ha ha.
Brilliant.
He gets very tired very easily you know.

Marco
15-07-2015, 10:16
Xquki is my girlfriend.
If she touches my downstairs rig when I get it, she will not be from that moment onward ha ha haha

Ah, I see. It was obvious there was a connection! So, does she also call you 'Box'? Be honest now....... ;)

Marco.

StanleyB
15-07-2015, 10:25

It's an old standing ploy that Alex Ferguson was good at. Buy up the potential good players from rival teams and put them on the bench. This will weaken the rivals, thus giving you more chances of beating them.
Sterling has been mixing with some bad company, and the increase in his salary is likely going to make it even more of a case. But my suspicion is that he'll end up like Shane Wright-Philips. Big expectations when he moved to Chelsea, but a total waste of valuable space on the pitch.

struth
15-07-2015, 10:46
It's an old standing ploy that Alex Ferguson was good at. Buy up the potential good players from rival teams and put them on the bench. This will weaken the rivals, thus giving you more chances of beating them.
Sterling has been mixing with some bad company, and the increase in his salary is likely going to make it even more of a case. But my suspicion is that he'll end up like Shane Wright-Philips. Big expectations when he moved to Chelsea, but a total waste of valuable space on the pitch.

yes he learned it from Jock Stein actually:eyebrows:

Audio Al
15-07-2015, 11:03
And what's that got to do with the thread?
Your comment could be construed as trolling.

I have since the age of 8 years old supported Arsenal , and I know that unless we have unlimited funds ( Roman Chelsea ) ( City Shake your money ) we won't win any big titles
like the PL or CL , simples

Whats a troll ? :)

Just looked it up , Trolling , A moving boat way of fishing :D

agk
15-07-2015, 16:47
Chelsea are my team and I think our season could be rather marvelous.

Stratmangler
15-07-2015, 16:54
Chelsea are my team and I think our season could be rather marvelous.

If you can stay awake watching games ;)

Stratmangler
15-07-2015, 16:57
I have since the age of 8 years old supported Arsenal , and I know that unless we have unlimited funds ( Roman Chelsea ) ( City Shake your money ) we won't win any big titles

You've got more money in the pot for players thanks to paying off the loans for building your stadium.
Arsene has a good eye for talent - I think you'll be challenging this season.

Stratmangler
15-07-2015, 17:05
But my suspicion is that he'll end up like Shane Wright-Philips. Big expectations when he moved to Chelsea, but a total waste of valuable space on the pitch.

Is that Shaun Wright Phillip's brother?
Never seen Shane playing.
The Chelsea deal with Shaun was an interesting one - we got £21,000,000 off Chelsea for him, he didn't do anything while he was there, then we buy him back for £12,000,000 and find that he's a far better player than he was when he left. Chelsea trained him really well.
On top of all that he was one of our own coming back home, and when a prodigal son returns the reception is going to be a good one.

struth
15-07-2015, 17:05
So far the only team up top who have really improved the squad is Utd, so I wouldnt be shocked to see them a lot closer. obviously there will be plenty more signings to come as well, across the board but I like W Hams buys and southamptons.

oldson
15-07-2015, 17:38

not entirely true.
he who spends most competes for trophies, nothing guaranteed though.

oldson
15-07-2015, 18:02

he may turn out to be a world beater in a few years mate!
i wish he had wanted to stay with us , but i think his agent drew his attention to the money you guys pay.
i agree you over paid based on potential and the fact he is english, but you could look back in 5-10 years and say it was not a bad deal afterall.
i only wish the whole thing had been handled better, by him and his agent.

as for us, we need to spend wisely this time not like last year.
BR seems to get the blame for our signing flops, but he is only part of a committee .
will we ever get out of this so called "transition" phase??

Tarzan
15-07-2015, 20:09

Whats a troll ? :)

Just looked it up , Trolling , A moving boat way of fishing :D

Good posting Mr Allen my Arsenal/carbooting brother.:)

Audio Al
15-07-2015, 20:24
Good posting Mr Allen my Arsenal/carbooting brother.:)

Thank you M rAndy

Remember one visit does not make you a regular :ner:

Tarzan
15-07-2015, 20:28
Thank you M rAndy

Remember one visit does not make you a regular :ner:

Believe you me l am regular.:cool:

Audio Al
15-07-2015, 20:30

:booty::thumbsup:

Marco
15-07-2015, 20:57

Only when the laxatives work, eh? Aye, I've seen the skidders on yer pantz! :D

Marco.

HackneyRF
15-07-2015, 22:56
Jeez......it's just like reading The Guardian football pages on this thread. Premier league blah blah blah. Just one Leeds Utd fan and me! Come on, no Bury or Wycombe Wanderers fans out there? ;-)

Stratmangler
16-07-2015, 05:52
I had a fleeting interest in Oldham Athletic during their FA Cup run in the 2012/2013 season :)
Been to Turf Moor to see Burnley on a couple of occasions too.

Box13
16-07-2015, 07:04
Ah, I see. It was obvious there was a connection! So, does she also call you 'Box'? Be honest now....... ;)

Marco.

No, she does not.

Marco
16-07-2015, 07:08
What does she call you then? :)

Marco.

Oddball
16-07-2015, 10:47
Well ,as I have alluded to here earlier , I am a Wrexham fan , although I am as English as the pub landlord!!

So , rather like Marco ,I laugh about all the Woolieback ,or hurdlebunter jokes with my Welsh fiends , and look forward to a good season , although judging by pre season , is not guaranteed!!:)

rdpx
17-07-2015, 15:59
What does she call you then? :)

Marco.

I bet she calls him 南瓜小猫吉

:cool:

DanJennings
20-07-2015, 17:07
As mentioned elsewhere, I am an Aston Villa fan and have been since I was about 5 or 6.

I am now a season ticket holder too, but I am slightly worried that we might not have enough players by the start of the season as they are all bloody leaving.

Audio Al
20-07-2015, 17:47
As mentioned elsewhere, I am an Aston Villa fan and have been since I was about 5 or 6.

I am now a season ticket holder too, but I am slightly worried that we might not have enough players by the start of the season as they are all bloody leaving.

Time for you 2 step up 2 the plate Dan :)

struth
31-07-2015, 22:13
I see the Baggies have signed Rickie lambert....thats a good acquisition for us....he will score goals along with Saido;) Top 10 finish and a cup run is now predicted with Pullis still at the helm.

DanJennings
01-08-2015, 19:37
I see the Baggies have signed Rickie lambert....thats a good acquisition for us....he will score goals along with Saido;) Top 10 finish and a cup run is now predicted with Pullis still at the helm.

Yep. a bargain for 3m, I think he'll be great for you.

I am very pleased with all the Villa signings too, we have wisely spent the Delph and Benteke money in my opinion...
So far we have: Sinclair, Bunn, Gueye, Ayew, Veritout, Amavi, Crespo, Richards and Gestede.

Alex_UK
01-08-2015, 21:22
The mighty Canaries for me... Back in the Premier League this season, but we're up and down like a bride's nightie so I look forward to a tense season ahead! :lol:

Marco
01-08-2015, 21:26
'Come on, let's be 'avin ya!!' Do you think she'll make an appearance again this season? :D

Btw, fancy selling us back Gary Hooper? We still haven't replaced him!

Marco.

struth
01-08-2015, 21:27
Yep. a bargain for 3m, I think he'll be great for you.

I am very pleased with all the Villa signings too, we have wisely spent the Delph and Benteke money in my opinion...
So far we have: Sinclair, Bunn, Gueye, Ayew, Veritout, Amavi, Crespo, Richards and Gestede.

Yes, I saw you had brought in a lot. its sometimes very difficult to integrate that many at once, but Villa may get lucky. My mate LarryAV is a big fan

struth
01-08-2015, 21:28
'Come on, let's be 'avin ya!!' Do you think she'll make an appearance again this season? :D

Btw, fancy selling us back Gary Hooper? We still haven't replaced him!

Marco.

better with Gary Cooper;)

Alex_UK
01-08-2015, 21:35
I think all Norwich fas have a bit of a Delia crush, and she was so sexy in that "episode"... ok, just me then! :eyebrows:

I hope Hooper gets more starts this season - he became a it of a "super-sub" at the end of last season, and I think there is more to come... But for £10m you can have him back! :D

Marco
01-08-2015, 21:45
Lol... I think if we reach the Champions League group stages he would be an excellent signing at that price! I suspect a few fans would like Delia to giving them a good 'tonguing'... :eyebrows:

Reasonably happy with Celtic's start to the season, winning today against Ross County, although we have a very difficult game to negotiate on Wednesday night against Quarabag...

Our chances this season? Realistically, we should win the league again, perhaps this time going one better than the double we got last year, and of course qualification into the CL proper.

Marco.

struth
01-08-2015, 21:50
Lol... I think if we reach the Champions League group stages he would be a very good signing at that price! I suspect a few fans would like Delia to giving them a good 'tonguing'... :eyebrows:

Reasonably happy with Celtic's start to the season, winning today against Ross County, although we have a very difficult game to negotiate on Wednesday night against Quarabag...

Our chances this season? Realistically, we should win the league again, perhaps this time going one better than the double we got last year, and of course qualification into the CL proper.

Marco.

Youve got a good draw I think so would expect them to get there. Doubt they will do anything after mind, but getting there is what counts, considering the Scottish budget, its a feat to do it. League is already won...1/50 at bookies; they aint taking any bets tbh. Cups, well it'll depend maybe a bit on your workload....sure the fans would give up the 2 cups for 6 games at the big table

Marco
01-08-2015, 22:05
Indeed, although FC Qarabag are no mugs, so it'll take a good performance for us to get through (even at 1-0 up from the home leg) - and then of course we have two more rounds to successfully negotiate before getting to the CL proper...

Bloody ridiculous for a team of Celtic's size/calibre/European pedigree, when you consider that the FOURTH team in the Premiership gets automatic entry into the CL! Fooking UEFA bias towards the Premiership, as usual!! :rolleyes:

The sooner that Celtic get to play there, instead of the SPL, the better.... Footballing wise, it's where a club of their size and stature belongs. We can leave Sevco to hump the diddy teams in Scotland, if or when they cease being a diddy team themselves... :D

Marco.

struth
01-08-2015, 22:14
If Gers had gone bust(ie out of existence) it would probably have happened but they wont take both.. you never know though and if the prem is struggling in future it might just happen. Trouble is Celtic may not have much chance of Euro football playing there. Its pretty competitive league....would be fun finding out though... Good luck anyways

Marco
01-08-2015, 22:25
Cheers, and I do agree.

However, how long do you think it would take a team with the size of support Celtic have to benefit from the tens of millions they would get every year just from BEING in the Premiership? What kind of players would they be able to sign, both with that kind of money and the lure of Premiership football?

My view is that within no more than three seasons of such accrued income and prestige status, they'd be up there challenging for the title and automatic entry into the CL. Celtic's recent record against English clubs in Europe certainly suggests that.

The fact is that whichever way you look at it, Celtic would be an asset to the English Premiership, especially with the HUGE (well behaved) support they'd take with them to every ground. And teams would love coming to Celtic Park and playing in front of crowds of 65,000 every other week!

Celtic could play their second team in the SPL, which would then allow the likes of Aberdeen and Dundee Utd a better shot at the title. A win-win, all round :)

Marco.

struth
01-08-2015, 22:39
Yup, if it worked that way and they survived the first season or 2 then its a possibility but even Arsenal with their financial muscle struggle to make the top 4. Chances are that if it were to happen it would mean starting at the bottom. Currently having 2 teams playing in differing leagues is difficult, and with the sfa/spfa or whatever they are called being dinosaurs of the first order, that wont happen... all the clubs are unable to agree anything; one of the reasons Scottish footy is in the state its in.

Stratmangler
01-08-2015, 22:39
I'd like to set the record straight with regard to the EPL and CL qualification.
Only three teams get automatic passage through to the group stages.
The fourth placed team have to play a qualification round, so this season you'll find Manyoo have the pleasure of a couple of extra games just to qualify to play in the group stages.

Marco
01-08-2015, 22:44
Ah, thanks for the clarification, Chris. Still, it's rather unfair that the third-placed team in the Premiership (in some cases having won fuck all) get automatic entry into the CL, whilst Celtic, having won their league, have to play numerous (potentially difficult) qualifying rounds to get there, when they haven't even started their season properly yet...

It stinks!

Marco.

Stratmangler
01-08-2015, 22:49
Take it up with UEFA!
It's got sod all to do with the EPL, the FA or England.

struth
01-08-2015, 22:50
Young Boys, Sparta Prague, Fenerbahce, Panathinaikos, Rapid Vienna, Sporting Lisbon, Lazio are all possibles I think for Utd, as they are seeded(top seed)

Celtic are in the Champions route which, although having to play more games have easier sides on paper anyways

A couple of these may well be seeded too so if they win wont face utd

Marco
01-08-2015, 23:03
Yup, if it worked that way and they survived the first season or 2 then its a possibility but even Arsenal with their financial muscle struggle to make the top 4.

Money aside, I consider Celtic as a bigger (and potentially better) team than Arsenal. I think that, even as they are just now, there's little doubt that Celtic would survive in the Premiership. My guess is that even in their first season they'd finish no lower than seventh.

Chances are that if it were to happen it would mean starting at the bottom.

Bottom where? League Two? I know what you mean, but I don't think that would be feasible for a number of reasons.

A better idea would be for the winners of the SPL (Celtic) to have a play off against the teams potentially being relegated from the Premiership and the teams potentially being promoted from the Championship [maybe a little mini tournament], with say, the winning two teams gaining entry into the Premiership, and the losers going back into the Championship and/or SPL - or something along those lines! :)

Currently having 2 teams playing in differing leagues is difficult, and with the sfa/spfa or whatever they are called being dinosaurs of the first order, that wont happen... all the clubs are unable to agree anything; one of the reasons Scottish footy is in the state its in.

Indeed. Part of the problem too is that, for the size of the country and support, Scotland has way too may professional football teams! In that respect, I'd like to see both the Edinburgh and Dundee clubs join forces to challenge Celtic. Now *that* would make it interesting...!!

Marco.

Marco
01-08-2015, 23:04
Take it up with UEFA!
It's got sod all to do with the EPL, the FA or England.

I know, and if I could, I would. You do agree with my point, though? :)

Marco.

struth
01-08-2015, 23:16
My no 1 Barca side Marco

NEUER

DE GEA

GODÍN

BONUCCI

MASCHERANO

VARANE

MARQUINHOS

CLYNE

ALBA

BERNAT

BUSQUETS

CARVAJAL

KOKE

POGBA

STROOTMAN

HAZARD

REUS

RODRÍGUEZ

BALE

NEYMAR

SUÁREZ

CAVANI

MÜLLER

ALCÁCER

KANE

I have another 41 players out on loan :eyebrows:

think they might do ok in europe ;)

Stratmangler
01-08-2015, 23:24
I know, and if I could, I would. You do agree with my point, though? :)

Marco.

I can see where you're coming from.
I used to kid myself that I lived in the UK, and I had one strange wake up call on that.

Marco
01-08-2015, 23:29
Lol. Indeed... Btw, what do you think of this idea (or something similar that could work):

A better idea would be for the winners of the SPL (Celtic) to have a play off against the teams potentially being relegated from the Premiership and the teams potentially being promoted from the Championship [maybe a little mini tournament], with say, the winning two teams gaining entry into the Premiership, and the losers going back into the Championship and/or SPL - or something along those lines! :)

I think that would make for something rather exciting....

Marco.

Stratmangler
01-08-2015, 23:32
Lol. Indeed... Btw, what do you think of this idea (or something similar that could work):

I think that would make for something rather exciting....

Marco.

Nah!
You'd be bitching about results not going your way if they didn't turn out the way you wanted.....

Marco
01-08-2015, 23:40
Not at all. The winners would be the winners, end of - all fair and square!

Call me cynical, but I can't help but feel that the 'powers that be' (and I'm not just talking here about UEFA) want to keep Celtic 'in their place'... Given the influx of Premiership millions, they know just how big Celtic could become - and that scares them.

Let's face it, there is HUGE amounts of money at stake, and if Celtic were at the top end of the Premiership, raking it in and benefiting accordingly in a football sense, then some other ENGLISH team, perhaps one of the currently established 'big four', wouldn't be... ;)

And that simply won't be allowed to happen. Unfortunately, just like in politics, corruption in sport is rife!!

Marco.

Stratmangler
01-08-2015, 23:47
Why don't Celtic resign from the SFA then?
Make an independent application to the FA to join the English leagues and see how they get on.
They won't!

struth
01-08-2015, 23:51
Current rules would deny them so that would be a pointless endevour but it would be fun from my perspective :lol:

Marco
02-08-2015, 00:19
Indeed. I'm just saying what would be fair, in a football sense, given Celtic's pedigree and stature. The fact is, they've outgrown the SPL and need a bigger challenge.

Marco.

Marco
02-08-2015, 00:21
Why don't Celtic resign from the SFA then?
Make an independent application to the FA to join the English leagues and see how they get on.
They won't!

Yet Welsh teams (Cardiff and Swansea) get to play in the English Premiership? How does that work, then? Perhaps they're not considered as a threat to 'the big four'? ;)

Marco.

rdpx
02-08-2015, 01:39
I was having dinner with Arsene Wenger last night and he was telling me how terrified he was of Celtic. All the English teams think the same, he told me. They are just too good, even if they do look like Pacers.

Marco
02-08-2015, 06:08
Pacers? Lol... What Wenger wants to do is retire and get jiggy with his pipe and slippers! ;)

Marco.

Stratmangler
02-08-2015, 06:33
Yet Welsh teams (Cardiff and Swansea) get to play in the English Premiership? How does that work, then? Perhaps they're not considered as a threat to 'the big four'? ;)

Marco.

That's one problem with having been schooled in Scotland - you didn't get taught any English or Welsh history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wales - 2nd paragraph

Marco
02-08-2015, 06:45
Lol... It's all rather 'convenient', isn't it?

None of that devalues the points I've made or changes the fact that Celtic are too big a fish in too small a pond, and so need to 'swim' somewhere else... Or the fact that bias and corruption in football is rife, with the 'powers that be' seeking to protect their best interests at the expense of others! ;)

Marco.

Stratmangler
02-08-2015, 08:01
Lol... It's all rather 'convenient', isn't it?

None of that devalues the points I've made or changes the fact that Celtic are too big a fish in too small a pond, and so need to 'swim' somewhere else... Or the fact that bias and corruption in football is rife, with the 'powers that be' seeking to protect their best interests at the expense of others! ;)

Marco.

Your corruption issue lies solely with the SFA.

Joe
02-08-2015, 08:50
Of course, if the independence referendum had been won by the Yes side, Celtic would be playing in an entirely separate country, with even less chance of getting into the Premiership.

Stratmangler
02-08-2015, 08:54
Of course, if the independence referendum had been won by the Yes side, Celtic would be playing in an entirely separate country, with even less chance of getting into the Premiership.

:D

leg7
02-08-2015, 08:55
For those of you who are interested in football, for a bit of fun tell us who are your team, how long you have supported them and how do you fancy your chances this coming season. Friendly banter only of course please folks.

I'll start.

I'm a Coventry City supporter since 1973. As always I'm pretty optimistic. But it's not been easy these last few years. We now have Tony Mowbray as manager so I'm pretty hopeful of some exciting, attacking football and a play-off place at least. A cup win over The Villa or Leicester City would do nicely too.

Cheers

Loz

I fancy my chances with a couple of them, but I won't do it :lol:

leg7
02-08-2015, 08:59
Celtic play at about the same level of football as Coventry City. :ner:

Marco
02-08-2015, 10:14
Your corruption issue lies solely with the SFA.

Nah. It extends to UEFA (otherwise, why do they allow the third placed team in the Premiership automatic entry into the CL? Answer: pure bias, because those teams, and the Premiership itself, currently raise vastly more money in TV revenue, through satellite sports TV channels, so the powers that be get more 'slurp'), and also to the FA, because they'd rather keep Celtic where they are, so that they wouldn't [eventually] replace someone such as Man City! :eyebrows: ;)

Marco.

Marco
02-08-2015, 10:17
Celtic play at about the same level of football as Coventry City. :ner:

Have you watched them recently, 'Clare', or when they've beaten teams such as Barcelona and Man Utd in the Champions League? Who's your team - Everton?

Marco.

P.S You need to put 'Clare' somewhere on your profile, as those are the rules - that is, if it is actually your real first name.

rdpx
02-08-2015, 11:25
Nah. It extends to UEFA (otherwise, why do they allow the third placed team in the Premiership automatic entry into the CL? Answer: pure bias, because those teams, and the Premiership itself, currently raise vastly more money in TV revenue, through satellite sports TV channels, so the powers that be get more 'slurp'), and also to the FA, because they'd rather keep Celtic where they are, so that they wouldn't [eventually] replace someone such as Man City! :eyebrows: ;)

Marco.
I was having lunch with the entire Manchester City team the other week, and the only topic of conversation was how Celtic must at all costs be kept out of the Premier League and the Champions League, otherwise the natural dominance of the great European clubs would be shown up to be the sham that it is, and that the global football watching audience would no longer desire to watch these teams play anymore, unless they were being battered by Celtic.

When I suggested that Celtic could merge with that other chained behemoth, RANGERS FC, to present a new challenge to the corrupt hegemony, there was a stunned silence, nay, some players even fainted at the terror they felt.

[emoji12]

Stratmangler
02-08-2015, 11:27
Nah. It extends to UEFA (otherwise, why do they allow the third placed team in the Premiership automatic entry into the CL? Answer: pure bias, because those teams, and the Premiership itself, currently raise more money in TV revenue, through satellite sports TV channels, so the powers that be get more 'slurp'), and also to the FA, because they'd rather keep Celtic where they are, so that they wouldn't [eventually] take the place of someone such as Man City! ;)

Marco.

UEFA give the SPL such special treatment because the SPL consists mainly of teams that would find it difficult to swim in the Championship in England.
To be top of that particular pile became a damned sight easier following the demise of Rangers.

You're paying for the fact that the only viable opposition you had are no longer up there with you.
You'd likely as not still have a direct qualification place to the CL if Rangers were still up there with you.
You'd also have the current situation of a qualification spot too.
They're not, and you haven't got a direct qualification place.

Now onto The FA.
In 2012 they wanted to put forward a Team GB to play in the Olympics, and they approached all of the relevant Football Associations in the UK with the proposal.
All three came back with a negative response, because of some colloquial "potential issues" they thought they might face with UEFA and FIFA.
The FA has made the same requests with respect to the Olympics in Rio next year to the same Football Associations, and the same colloquial outlook has come to the fore again.
That problem with the SFA sticking their heels in keeps on coming around again.
The SFA would be loathe to let you be free to join the English Leagues.
I'm pretty damned sure the FA would welcome Celtic into the English Leagues if it ever became possible.

Would I worry about Celtic taking City's qualification spot for the Champions League should Celtic ever play in the Premier League?
Nope!
You'd have to win the spot first.
Win it and you deserve it.
Reputation and past glories stand for absolutely nothing in the current season, and it's perpetually the case.

struth
02-08-2015, 11:28
I was having lunch with the entire Manchester City team the other week, and the only topic of conversation was how Celtic must at all costs be kept out of the Premier League and the Champions League, otherwise the natural dominance of the great European clubs would be shown up to be the sham that it is, and that the global football watching audience would no longer desire to watch these teams play anymore, unless they were being battered by Celtic.

When I suggested that Celtic could merge with that other chained behemoth, RANGERS FC, to present a new challenge to the corrupt hegemony, there was a stunned silence, nay, some players even fainted at the terror they felt.

[emoji12]

That would scare the devil himself mate.....:eyebrows: i nearly wet myself:lol:

Stratmangler
02-08-2015, 11:29

[emoji12]

:rfl:

RMutt
02-08-2015, 11:29
You're not taking this seriously are you Robert?

RMutt
02-08-2015, 11:32
Iceland are doing well at the moment, I bet they'd have them. Failing that, the Faroe Islands.

Marco
02-08-2015, 11:52

[emoji12]

:lolsign:

It would be interesting to see what their genuine reaction would be, should Celtic joining the Premiership ever become a reality... I suspect the sniggering would stop once the team settled in and started stealing some of the prized silverware/Champions League places from grubby English mits! :ner: ;)

Right, muchachos, luncheon beckons - I'll deal with the rest of this later.... :cheers:

Marco.

Tarzan
02-08-2015, 17:47
:lolsign:

It would be interesting to see what their genuine reaction would be, should Celtic joining the Premiership ever become a reality... I suspect the sniggering would stop once the team settled in and started stealing some of the prized silverware/Champions League places from grubby English mits! :ner: ;)

Right, muchachos, luncheon beckons - I'll deal with the rest of this later.... :cheers:

Marco.

Racist and trolling in one post.:doh:

Marco
02-08-2015, 18:33
What are you on about? The post was almost entirely tongue-in-cheek! :doh:

Marco.

Tarzan
02-08-2015, 18:42
What are you on about? The post was almost entirely tongue-in-cheek! :doh:

Marco.

:lol:

Marco
02-08-2015, 18:55
Are you in one of those moods again? Because we can soon put a stop to that... ;)

Marco.

Oddball
08-08-2015, 17:10
Its going to be a long long season :whippin:

Gordon Steadman
08-08-2015, 17:30
How do you get a football team? I've never had one!

Audio Al
08-08-2015, 17:48

Here you go
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/want-to-own-a-football-club-buy-reading-for-just-1-after-owner-anton-zingarevich-puts-royals-up-for-sale-9435428.html

Gordon Steadman
08-08-2015, 17:57
Here you go
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/want-to-own-a-football-club-buy-reading-for-just-1-after-owner-anton-zingarevich-puts-royals-up-for-sale-9435428.html
I'm having trouble reading all the books I already have.

Stratmangler
08-08-2015, 18:28

Having an interest in football might be a good place to start :)

Gordon Steadman
08-08-2015, 18:44
Having an interest in football might be a good place to start :)

Ah....that would explain it:rolleyes:

Back to tiddly winks.

struth
09-08-2015, 15:24
Leicester
Crystal Palace
West Ham
Aston Villa

interesti!g and highly unlikely top 4 but there it is for now

Tarzan
09-08-2015, 18:25
Are you in one of those moods again? Because we can soon put a stop to that... ;)

Marco.

Do what- would you please elaborate?:scratch:

Marco
09-08-2015, 19:33
Let's just leave it now and move on :)

Marco.

HackneyRF
10-08-2015, 19:39
First game in. Coventry City 2 Wigan Athletic 0
I'm happy.
Heading to Millwall next weekend. Got my ticket. Should I be nervous?

struth
10-08-2015, 21:12
The Baggies at their traditional bottom of the league; we will be looking for a new manager soon:doh: Humped 3-0 at home to some team called Citee;).. ah well, the only way is up:eek:

Marco
10-08-2015, 22:29
Lol - you'd be better off going back to supporting Rangers! :D

;)

Marco.

struth
10-08-2015, 22:32

;)

Marco.

;) I guess you never really stop mate. Just the order of importance that changes. Baggies are a family club and I admire them for that, and their principles.Hopefully a new owner wont change this but it could happen.

Stratmangler
11-08-2015, 08:07
I enjoyed last night's game, and not just because City won.
City played with hunger and intensity from the off, and applied forward pressure for most of the match.

One down, thirty seven to go, and this weekend's game brings Chelsea to the Etihad - it's gonna be a tough one ....

Oddball
15-08-2015, 21:40
2 home wins in a row for Wrexham A F C :gig:

Stratmangler
16-08-2015, 22:51
I enjoyed our first home game of the season, even though it was a "fake" victory (José Mourinho, what planet are you living on?).
Asmir Begovic played a blinder - we would have been 3 or 4 up by half time had Begovic not been on top of his game.

struth
16-08-2015, 23:01

;)

Marco.

Baggies up from bottom after a 0-0 draw away to an impressive Watford. Pullis' usual technique of playing for the draw away and going for a win at home looks to continue.

as for Jose's outburst; a big lol to it. Chelski were out played from the start, and he cannot handle the thought of him not being the numera uno.. similar with his Wenger remarks. He is turning into an asshole and may end up a liability. They certainly look to be in need of some decent young fresh faces....

Stratmangler
16-08-2015, 23:15
Baggies up from bottom after a 0-0 draw away to an impressive Watford. Pullis' usual technique of playing for the draw away and going for a win at home looks to continue.

as for Jose's outburst; a big lol to it. Chelski were out played from the start, and he cannot handle the thought of him not being the numera uno.. similar with his Wenger remarks. He is turning into an asshole and may end up a liability. They certainly look to be in need of some decent young fresh faces....

Tony Pulis is a wily old fox - he'll steer West Brom to survival, and might even get the team to a final at Wembley.

José? He's looking a mite distracted.
The teams came out today to the "Dr. Who" theme, and the Chelsea medics were serenaded with "You're getting sacked in the morning!" by the home support ;)
José appears to have experienced a difficult start to his third season (this time around) - long may it go on :D

Two down, thirty six to go .....
Everton at Goodison for us next week .....

Audio Advent
16-08-2015, 23:15
I might ask if Jim wants to play in goal and also see if Roger can do Tuesday nights.

Oh... you mean other people's corporate businesses, marketed as "teams" ! Sorry, wrong thread. :)

HackneyRF
17-08-2015, 09:40
Two league wins, 6 goals scored, non conceded. Looking impressive so far. PUSB

Cheers

Loz

Stratmangler
18-08-2015, 11:15
Can West Brom do one over Chelsea again this weekend? ..........

StanleyB
18-08-2015, 11:22
Mourinho is currently having a problem with other managers whose name begin with a P. So it is looking like Chelsea hitting the goal post again.

struth
18-08-2015, 11:25
Although we beat em 3 to 0 last year im not expecting too much....its been a hard startcwith our 2 home games against last years top 2 and away to newly promoted side out to prove something. will take anything

StanleyB
18-08-2015, 11:33
Funnily enough I ran into John Terry at the petrol station yesterday. He did look a bit down when I wished him a full 90 minutes for the next game. I think that there is more to his short spell against MC.

take5
18-08-2015, 18:00
My team..................... That would be St Johnstone

By common consent, the greatest , most talented lot ever to play the game. We play a different kind of footie to those around us. We like to call it "Total Football "

Coaches and managers often come from around the world to watch our matches. Pep, Jose, Sir Alex, etc etc. They have all been ( often multiple times ) They all watch with jaws dropped and leave wondering "how do they do that? "

Winners of the Scottish Cup in 2014, we had a season of consolidation last year, but are looking favourites for everything this season.

So much so that rumours are going around already that other teams are resigned to simply fighting to finish 2nd.

Come on The Saints.

Oddball
18-08-2015, 22:48
Wrexham , 10 goals in 4 games , and 3 wins from 4 . Crowds of nearly 5000 in the conference / vanarama league . :sheep:

HackneyRF
19-08-2015, 08:15
Super Sky Blues. 3 wins in 3. Top of the table!

HackneyRF
19-08-2015, 08:20
Wrexham , 10 goals in 4 games , and 3 wins from 4 . Crowds of nearly 5000 in the conference / vanarama league . :sheep:

What is the attendance potential for Wrexham Anto? I Kind of like The Racecourse Ground.

Oddball
19-08-2015, 09:01
What is the attendance potential for Wrexham Anto? I Kind of like The Racecourse Ground.

If they keep playing like they are then I can see 6000 plus in the next week or so and there is a large catchment area around and abouts .
Lots of people who used to go and may start going again ,even if the capacity of the ground is down , only being 3 sided at present
Its most probably because the team is playing football unlike anything I have seen for 40 yrs there , and I don't honestly think you can compare it.
Coupled with the fact we have had to endure some real slaps in the face over the 7 or 8 yrs we have been down in the Conference .
I love The Racecourse;)

Stratmangler
19-08-2015, 09:03
I had the Manyoo game on in the background last night (I rarely pay proper attention to their games, derby matches excepted)
They have someone who looks to be a very special player in Memphis - two excellent self made goals and an assist at the death is no mean feat, that plus a number of decent shots at goal.

We'll have to neutralise him come the 25th October :eyebrows:

struth
19-08-2015, 23:51
I see Marco's side, celtic conceded a late goal making the away second leg in Sweden a bit of a nerve tingler. It ended 3-2 to Celtic. " goals apparently from a loanee from last season as well :doh: Not going to do Scotland's coefficient any good at all if they dont make it.

Marco
20-08-2015, 07:18
Yup, it's going to be a tough one on Tuesday night. The problem is playing these (very difficult) CL games so early in the season, with new players, when they haven't gelled properly, and the team (as whole) hasn't really got 'up to speed' yet. Like I've said before, it's ridiculous for a team of Celtic's calibre to have to play three qualifying games to get into the group stages...

We're clearly a superior team to Malmo, which was shown in the first half, but there's still rustiness there, which you get at the beginning of the season, making us lose concentration later in games, with the inevitable results. That wouldn't happen if this was October, instead of August.

Anyway, I'm confident we can score over in Sweden, and take advantage of the away goals rule this time. One thing we can't do is sit and defend the one goal lead, as that would be suicide. For me, we have to go there, and play at a high tempo, with the target of simply scoring more goals than they do (as I think they will also score against us). Do that, and we'll be through. The first goal, and whoever scores it, however, will be crucial.

Marco.

Stratmangler
20-08-2015, 07:33
I was out watching this game last night https://www.mcfc.co.uk/fixtures/eds/2015-2016/august/city-eds-v-borussia-monchengladbach-international-premier-league-cup-19-august , and last I saw Celtic were 2-0 up, so I was rather surprised (shocked might be a more appropriate word) to find out the final score in Glasgow.
Fingers crossed for you for Tuesday night.

Marco
20-08-2015, 07:43
Cheers, matey. At the moment, we're only really playing 'first halves' of the standard of football that Celtic are capable of, and walking over teams in the process, during that period [and it's delightful to watch]... Trouble is, someone invented what's called a 'second half', too! :doh:

Marco.

Marco
20-08-2015, 07:50
If they keep playing like they are then I can see 6000 plus in the next week or so and there is a large catchment area around and abouts .
Lots of people who used to go and may start going again ,even if the capacity of the ground is down , only being 3 sided at present
Its most probably because the team is playing football unlike anything I have seen for 40 yrs there , and I don't honestly think you can compare it.
Coupled with the fact we have had to endure some real slaps in the face over the 7 or 8 yrs we have been down in the Conference .
I love The Racecourse;)

Yo Anto,

Didn't know you were a Wrexham fan! Why not Shrewsbury, given your location? Totally agree with your comments. Wrexham are a bit of a 'sleeping giant', with a large potential support and a superb stadium that deserves to see at least Championship standard football.

I follow their results, and go to the odd game. We should meet up sometime for a pint (or three), and then go along to the game afterwards :cool:

Marco.

Oddball
20-08-2015, 10:48
Yo Anto,

Didn't know you were a Wrexham fan! Why not Shrewsbury, given your location? Totally agree with your comments. Wrexham are a bit of a 'sleeping giant', with a large potential support and a superb stadium that deserves to see at least Championship standard football.

I follow their results, and go to the odd game. We should meet up sometime for a pint (or three), and then go along to the game afterwards :cool:

Marco.

Slops fan????? :wetkipper:
Hated Shrewsbury from a boy ,as my best mates Dad used to drag me and my dad , off to The Gay Meadow and a fair few school mates were Slops fans.
We live about the same distance from each ground , although it was always easier to bomb up Wrexham Road , even if we had to wait to cross the bridge at Bangor .
It was the old man , that took me when I was 6 , 1964.
Season ticket holder I am :eyebrows: but trust me , you need to go at the present ,its sublime stuff!!
We shall have to meet up , as you say;)

Stratmangler
27-08-2015, 17:06
Well that's a first for City - we're not in a Group Of Death in The Champions League :)
There are some tough opponents, but it isn't a Group Of Death.

(PS not intended to rub it in Marco; I was as surprised and disappointed with the result from Malmo the other night - I'm genuinely relieved/pleased that we have a normal group stage for once).

Looking forward to the home game against Watford on Saturday :cool:

struth
29-08-2015, 19:31
W Brom secured their first win of the season away to Stoke; 1-0 . nice win and a goal from Salomon Rondon, from Rickie Lambert's cross. Nice to see both new signings working well together. Rondon was a club record £12 mil. Its been a tough start for Baggies so nice to have 4 points on the board. I see Chelsea lost again. Just what Mourinho needs.;)

Stratmangler
31-08-2015, 10:26
It was an interesting weekend for the footie.

I expected Watford to give us a hard time with some very well organised defending, and they were resolute throughout the first half. Goalscoring chances were thin on the ground.

The half time substitution of Navas for Nasri had us all wondering if Navas had taken a knock or pulled something, but whatever the reason it shifted the formation around and within 90 seconds of play recommencing Silva slid the ball out to Sagna, and Sagna dropped an inch perfect cross in front of Sterling to give Sterling his first league goal in a City shirt, and the deadlock was broken.

In the 55th minute we had a free kick on the edge of the Watford area - Touré took the kick, and it rebounded back off the Watford wall. Fernandinho nodded the rebound ball to Silva and continued in a run behind Silva, Silva passed the ball to where Fernadinho was moving and Fernandinho wrapped his foot around the ball and sent it screaming on the diagonal into the back of the net.

Watford at no point looked like they would get back into the game.

It was nice to see West Brom get a win against Stoke.
Crystal Palace beating Chelsea at Stamford Bridge was the cause of many smiles at The Etihad (and the Mourinho curse of the "managers with surnames starting with the letter P" continues. I know Chelsea won at West Brom, but it was a tight game and could have gone the other way, and Chelsea did concede 2 goals in the process).
There were a few eyebrows raised at West Ham's 3-0 over Liverpool at Anfield - I was 18 months old the last time that West Ham won there, and the 3-0 provided much embarassment for Liverpool.

I was delighted with Swansea's result yesterday too :cool:

struth
11-09-2015, 22:45
Good news for Man U; De Gea has signed a 4 year contract with the possibility of another year. a probable release clause will be there but is not likely to be mentioned. Glad he has done the decent thing as Utd made him and suffered his bad days too. Its not an insubstantial one either at a likely £200k a week which tbh it disgusting, but such is the wages of sin in the higher echelons of the Premier league

Stratmangler
12-09-2015, 18:23
I'm not too happy with Scott Dann at the moment.
Because of a wild kick out vaguely in the direction of the ball he managed to come into direct contact with Sergio Aguero's knee.
It could cost us big time on Tuesday night when Juventus come to play at ours.

The referee could have red carded Dann, but brandished a yellow instead,
He also denied us a penalty in the second half when Samir Nasri was brought down in the area.
Jesus Navas missed a sitter after going round round the keeper and missed an open net :doh:

On the positive side of things, welcome Kevin de Bruyne.
He had an impact from coming on, and created more goalscoring opportunities than anyone else on the field.

And a big welcome to the first team and the premier league to Kelechi Iheanacho, who scored his first premier league goal today :cool:

StanleyB
12-09-2015, 19:27
Mourinho has not yet figured it out that without a proper medical team on the bench his players are not willing to risk life and limbs in chasing after the ball. The team has had a terrible time since the removal of their team doctor from the bench and it looks to continue for some time yet.

orbscure
12-09-2015, 19:40
I'm not too happy with Scott Dann at the moment. Because of a wild kick out vaguely in the direction of the ball he managed to come into direct contact with Sergio Aguero's knee. It could cost us big time on Tuesday night when Juventus come to play at ours.

Agreed it was a poor tackle and was late, but it was never a straight red. It doesn't help when the player Dann tackles is made of glass... 99% of opposition players on the end of a tackle of that nature would have a few dabs of the magic sponge and get on with it :)

The referee could have red carded Dann, but brandished a yellow instead,
He also denied us a penalty in the second half when Samir Nasri was brought down in the area.

The referee could have red carded Yaya Toure, but brandished a yellow instead
He also denied us a blatant penalty seconds before the Dann tackle, when Fernandinho clearly tripped Cabaye in the area...

There are normally two sides to any post match discussion and the truth normally lies somewhere between the two... even when blue tinted spectacles are removed ;)

Stratmangler
12-09-2015, 23:38
Agreed it was a poor tackle and was late, but it was never a straight red. It doesn't help when the player Dann tackles is made of glass... 99% of opposition players on the end of a tackle of that nature would have a few dabs of the magic sponge and get on with it :)

It wasn't a tackle.
Dann was beaten and he lashed out at Aguero. He didn't come within 2 feet of the ball. It was nasty, it was cynical, and the card should have been red.
He kicked him on the knee FFS!
That Aguero got up and tried to play on somewhat turns your made of glass comment on its head, and Aguero's signalling to the bench to be taken off gives a good idea of how nasty Dann's challenge was.
Aguero tried to play on, but was unable to.

The referee could have red carded Yaya Toure, but brandished a yellow instead

The ref should have done, but perhaps he felt a bit guilty after getting it wrong over Dann's challenge on Aguero.

He also denied us a blatant penalty seconds before the Dann tackle, when Fernandinho clearly tripped Cabaye in the area...

It was a damned sight less obvious challenge than the one where Nasri was taken out in the Palace box.

There are normally two sides to any post match discussion and the truth normally lies somewhere between the two... even when blue tinted spectacles are removed ;)

There are 2 sides, and mine was seen over an internet connection, so the image quality was not the best.
Seeing the points you raised on MoTD in HD just makes me even more annoyed than I was when I first posted, and I note that the Nasri penalty shout didn't get picked up on at all.

Still, we managed to grind out a result, so it's 5 down, 33 to go.
See you at ours on the return fixture :cool:

Juventus at ours on Tuesday, and I'm taking the boy to see both games on that day (our U21s are playing Juventus U21s at the Academy Stadium at 17:00, parallel competition, and the main event is over the road at The Etihad at 19:45).
And then it's West Ham at ours on Saturday 17:30.

Stratmangler
12-09-2015, 23:50
Mourinho has not yet figured it out that without a proper medical team on the bench his players are not willing to risk life and limbs in chasing after the ball. The team has had a terrible time since the removal of their team doctor from the bench and it looks to continue for some time yet.

Mourinho creates the situation he finds himself in, yet it's always the fault of someone else.
A recurring theme seems to be that Chelsea dominated play and it's a false result according to José.

I was going to ask if you thought he'd make it to Christmas, but the way things have been going he'll be lucky to see October in.

struth
12-09-2015, 23:51
It was a great result for Citee, considering, and puts them in a super position re regaining the title. Utd had a great win as well confirming them as challengers, and poor old Chelski got humped again which considering Morunio's comments re him being the only guy who can do it for Chelsea is a bit apt. City have a superb chance now to win the title if they continue their form and I feel Utd will do well too.

West Brom got a credible draw v Southampton; not ideal but they are decent opposition. considering who they have played they are ok.
It Scotland The Dons defeated the mighty Celts and go top of league plus have a game in hand. If they are to win the league this HAS to be their year. I have noted that the Gers have started the season in the championship superbly winning 6 from 6 and scoring for fun under rhe impressive Mark Warburton, and playing very attractive soccer too... not a sight thats been common at Ibrox for some time;)

Stratmangler
13-09-2015, 00:17
City have a superb chance now to win the title if they continue their form

With 33 league games to go it's far too early to even begin to contemplate City regaining the title. For me it's one game at a time, just as it was last season. Mention it again in April, but no sooner.

West Brom got a credible draw v Southampton; not ideal but they are decent opposition. considering who they have played they are ok.

It's a point, and a point is better than none.
Callum McManaman's dive being pulled up in public (MoTD) by Tony Pulis is interesting. I wouldn't like to to be in McManaman's shoes at training on Monday morning.

It Scotland The Dons defeated the mighty Celts and go top of league plus have a game in hand. If they are to win the league this HAS to be their year. I have noted that the Gers have started the season in the championship superbly winning 6 from 6 and scoring for fun under rhe impressive Mark Warburton, and playing very attractive soccer too... not a sight thats been common at Ibrox for some time;)

Maybe it's the season for Aberdeen and Rangers?
It's too soon to even contemplate - review in six month's time at the earliest :cool:

orbscure
13-09-2015, 08:52
It wasn't a tackle. Dann was beaten and he lashed out at Aguero. He didn't come within 2 feet of the ball. It was nasty, it was cynical, and the card should have been red. He kicked him on the knee FFS! That Aguero got up and tried to play on somewhat turns your made of glass comment on its head, and Aguero's signalling to the bench to be taken off gives a good idea of how nasty Dann's challenge was. Aguero tried to play on, but was unable to.

We'll just have to agree to disagree Chris. It was a poor challenge, I agree with you there, but more is being made of it because of who the injured player is and his undoubted importance to City, especially with this seasons European adventure just around the corner. However, if tackles like that were a red card offence, many games would end up 8 a side. I was at the game and in real time, it looked nothing more than late. Slow any tackle like that down and showing it from every conceivable angle will always make it look worse...

See you at ours on the return fixture :cool:

Not sure if I'm going this season... we usually have a decent pre-match beer with a fantastic group of City fans in the Boars Head Hotel in Middlewich... :cool:

StanleyB
13-09-2015, 18:33
I was going to ask if you thought he'd make it to Christmas, but the way things have been going he'll be lucky to see October in.
The knives are out for this golden goose turned turkey. He'll be dinner come Christmas if his reign of failure continues.

struth
26-09-2015, 21:04
As Chelsea continue to struggle and the wheels come off the city bandwagon, a fairly timid UTD top the Prem. must be a wee while since thats been the case. Depay and Martial seem to be bedding in nicely.

Stratmangler
28-09-2015, 22:44
I don't know about the wheels coming off the wagon.
It was inevitable that City would get beaten at some point, and sooner rather than later.
I was at the Juventus game. Juventus had 3 opportunities to score, and managed to score twice.
At the West Ham game I lost count of the number of wasted chances, and also the number of times the West Ham keeper/defence stopped us from scoring.
Credit where it's due - Winston Read played a blinder.
West Ham had 4 chances and scored twice.

The Tottenham game was similar.
Where it differed was the number of poor offside decisions the referee's assistants made.

De Bruyne's goal was offside, but it was a close very call - a matter of an few inches, if that, and easy to miss. The linesmen don't have instant replays to help their decision making.
The Tottenham equaliser had a player 2 yards offside when the ball was passed to him. That the ball was crossed, saved, kicked out and belted back in and into the net shouldn't have made a difference. It was very clearly offside, and didn't need a replay to determine that.
The offside was missed by the linesman, and the referee continued with his quiet game.

When Martin Demichaelis got booked for remonstrating with the referee at the end of the first half it got carried into the dressing room and got brought back out into the second half.
Where I expected City to come out and fight back I saw a side still chewing over what occurred in the first half.
The net result was we did not play anywhere near as well in the 2nd half, and Tottenham got the ball in the net another 3 times.
Harry Kane was offside when his strike hit the back of the net.

The referee and his assistants were shockingly bad, but the truth is you have to try to rise above such adversity, and City failed on that front.

City have problems, but we had problems last season too.
We'll have to see if there's sufficient fight and character to overcome the problems.
Losing 2 out of 7 games is not of great significance.
There are 31 games left to play in the league, and league standings at this stage in the season mean very little.

StanleyB
04-10-2015, 09:52
I don't know about the wheels coming off the wagon.
How much more evidence do you need? The game yesterday was an absolute shambles for Chelsea. I don't even believe that the wagon has any wheels left. Red Rom is probably still choking on his Beluga Caviaar after watching Mourinho challenging him to put the boot in the manager.

Stratmangler
04-10-2015, 10:40
How much more evidence do you need? The game yesterday was an absolute shambles for Chelsea. I don't even believe that the wagon has any wheels left. Red Rom is probably still choking on his Beluga Caviaar after watching Mourinho challenging him to put the boot in the manager.

I didn't mention Chelsea once in my post.
Grant mentioned the wheels coming off the City bandwagon. They hadn't (we'd had a slow puncture on one and a blowout on another), but that's another story.

The Chelsea situation is rather interesting :eyebrows:

struth
04-10-2015, 10:53
Crissed and crossed wires i think. Yes i was saying the city bandwagon had come off the rails a bit after their great start in losing 2 iar.. Never had any doubts it would right itself though.. Cheksea is another matter. Theyve never been on the rails this season and mourinio has pretty much lost what marbles he had... He bought bad and has screwed up re the doctors fiasco. All this has meant he has lost the dressing room and probably tge backroom too. The red oligarch will be livid as i think he just gave him a huge contract...its gonna cost to move him but its looking like it will have to happen.

W Brim got beat 2 to 0 by Palace away so nothing new there...Newcastle really need to get shot of their man too.. He is hopeless but typical of the chairman to hire him...probably on a 20year contract:eek:

Stratmangler
04-10-2015, 11:19
Watching the MoTD coverage on yesterday's game at The Etihad you'd think Newcastle ran the show in the first half.
They didn't.
Newcastle defended well, had a few breaks and capitalised on some pretty woeful City defending, but overall the half was pretty even.
City should have been a goal up after eight minutes, but somehow the ball (which was pinging around as though it was on a pinball machine) was kept out, not that you'd know anything about it from watching MoTD.

There was much relief from the City faithful when Aguero scored with a close quarters header just before half time, and his first goal from open play since the Chelsea match.

We were all surprised at what happened in the second half.
The City attack sharpened up considerably, Newcastle lost their shape, and Aguero ran riot. That Aguero scored four of the five goals in the second half overshadowed the contribution the City team made - there was a lot of high intensity passing and attacking play that provided Sergio with the ball. Sergio did what he'd been lacking so far this season, and put everything away that came his way.
Kevin de Bruyne's goal was a bit special too.

Aguero was sustituted around about the hour mark, and the goal fest stopped.
Newcastle were shell shocked, and never really looked like clawing back a goal or two.

struth
04-10-2015, 15:25
Arsenal off to a flier..3 up after 20mins v utd

Marco
04-10-2015, 17:07
A good day for Celtic too, with us beating Hamilton 1-2 away from home, while Aberdeen got pumped yesterday 1-5 by St Johnstone! Only one point from where we belong now... :yay:

If we can get all our best players fit, and start playing consistently, I think we'll do well this season at home and in Europe :)

Marco.

Tarzan
04-10-2015, 17:32
Arsenal off to a flier..3 up after 20mins v utd

:eek::cool::smoking:

take5
06-10-2015, 12:01
while Aberdeen got pumped yesterday 1-5 by St Johnstone!

Marco.

Was there ever any doubt. Skill always shines through.............................. eventually.

struth
07-10-2015, 22:36
Five in a row on soccer manager for my Reds.... everyone has left now(cowards) and they are closing this game. Who says success is rewarded :(

Overview
Rules
Winners

Season Winning Team Winning Manager
Season 5 Manchester United Bill Struth
Season 4 Manchester United Bill Struth
Season 3 Manchester United Bill Struth
Season 2 Manchester United Bill Struth
Season 1 Manchester United Bill Struth

My total is now 164 trophies;)

take5
08-10-2015, 06:52
Grant......

Bil struth. Now there is a name from the past. you must be older than you look in your pic.:)

struth
08-10-2015, 11:59
Bill is my middle name. Struth is my site name and bill struth was one of the greatest managers of his time so i thought it apt.

Stratmangler
09-10-2015, 20:06
I think Liverpool's season turned around this week.
I think Jurgen Klopp is the best thing to happen to them in a long time.

I'm a little bit jealous to be honest ....

struth
09-10-2015, 20:27

Will be interesting to see how much he can add to a pretty defunct of success club. Liked is style at Dortmund and I have watched them a lot.(even got 2 in my SM teams)

Stratmangler
09-10-2015, 20:52
I was at the home game when they played City in the Champions League - we were extremely lucky to get a point from that one.
Mario was still with us, and when Sergio was taken down in the Dortmund area we had the clearest chance to score - Mario did not disappoint.

I wonder if Jurgen is going to offer Mario an olive branch and a second bite of the cherry at Liverpool?

struth
09-10-2015, 20:57
Who's that? Baloteli? Personally think he is a motorway accident just waiting to happen.

Stratmangler
09-10-2015, 21:13
Yup!
I'm thinking of Balotelli.
He's not as bad a boy as he's made out to be. His temperament is a bit fragile, but handle him properly and he can do some amazing things.

oldson
10-10-2015, 16:55

heres hoping you are right. wont happen overnight though.

Stratmangler
23-10-2015, 08:59
I was amused to see this http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34603517

I was there, and yes it happened. It happens at every Champions League game.
We don't like UEFA and we don't like their frequently piss poor officials. If it's supposed to be the premier competition in Europe then you'd expect the referee and assistants to be among the very best, and it's all so often not the case.

Then there's the case of CSKA Moscow being told that they were to have no supporters at the either leg of our tie. City supporters that turned up were turned away in Moscow, and that's despite having valid tickets, and to add insult to injury there were 50 or so CSKA supporters made it into The Etihad at our home leg.
UEFA are not very good at backing up their own sanctions.

What was more disturbing on Wednesday was the disgusting and violent behaviour of the Sevilla supporters.
I notice that nothing of it was picked or reported by the UEFA official who took offence at UEFA being booed.
UEFA is as bent an organisation as FIFA has been shown to be.

As a footnote, I'd like to add that I thought the referee and his assistants performed well at this game - if it had been so in many other CL games City supporters might not be quite so hostile towards UEFA.

struth
23-10-2015, 09:07
The day booing becomes illegal in the uk then thats the day to demand action from our govt...

Stratmangler
23-10-2015, 09:53
I read this on a City supporters forum.
It speaks volumes.

An organisation that is undeniably corrupt, blatant by the way its seedings work, the investigations it chooses to conduct, the way it hands out fines and to anyone who's ever watched the matches.

A corrupt organisation that places making money as its highest priority.

A corrupt organisation that places higher fines on a club who turns up 2 minutes late for the second half than a club who's fans are monkey chanting and gesturing at black players.

A corrupt organisation that imposes a blanket ban on away fans then allows external organisations to sell package deals to away fans. Even its own sponsors sold tickets on the black market.

A corrupt organisation that imposes a behind closed doors ban for a match and then allows its sponsors to sell tickets to home fans.

A corrupt organisation that is now attacking the most basic of human rights, free speech because its making them look bad.

Fuck em. If you're going against MGB get there early, if you haven't got a ticket and you can make it happen get there. Make sure when that anthem hits your back is turned and you boo like its a Gillingham penalty.

They know nothing of fair play, they don't care about any sort of anti 'ism, they only care about lining their own pockets and the pockets of their equally corrupt mates. Laughing at the club they just fined £50 mill as they sit there eating food and drinking wine that's a monthly wage, all complimentary of course because they fucking said so. They are the epitome (thanks Damo for the online spell check, I thought it was a Y, and congrats to you and yours, and thanks Blues for teaching me that even in the angriest moments you always need to inject a bit of humour) of everything that's wrong in this world, greedy greedy cunts twisting what should be the pinnacle of European club football, a gathering of the most talented people in a game played at a level that should make people proud of their team and they've turned it a fucking cash machine for an old boys club.

This is our competition, these cunts just stole it so they could rape money left, right and centre from daft bastards like us who spend stupid amounts of money that we haven't really got because we love and support our team. Not just Blues, fans of all team, even rags. They are an infestation that needs a light shining on them and fucking off so the game can get back to what its meant to be, a game of football played for bragging rights to see who was the best over 90 minutes.

Its not life or death, its not 'important' but because of the feelings and spirit it creates, the togetherness it brings even at times between opposing fans, it generates money. Lots and lots of money and these twats are exploiting those feelings and that togetherness to add another few 000's into a bank balance that's already fucking obscene.

Right now that shining light is us booing the shit out of their anthem, their fragile ego's cant handle the fact we know what they are and we'll fucking say it. They think threatening us with sanctions will dull our spirit or quiet our voice, they misunderstand. We fight to the end isn't the bullshit cheese the club has tried to spin, its an ethos handed down from every fan to every player. Its every shit result we managed to turn around, Gillingham, Blackburn, Tottenham, both Titles, when shits going wrong you fight to turn it around. You cant always do it and if the better team on the day isn't you then so be it, as long as you try that's what important.

Its not all about winning its about holding your head high because you did your best. This competition should be about the best players in the world doing just that, the same ethos that every fan of every team has, do your best, do us proud. But its not is it, its become about getting a free lunch and fiddling your expenses.

Enough's enough, fuck em up Blues.

This post is brought to you by the only red allowed in my life, a £5.99 bottle of Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon. A bottle Platini and UEFA wouldn't even know existed. If you made it this far, sorry for the long read!

oldson
23-10-2015, 16:57
to ban booing is like banning freedom of speech, imo.

struth
27-10-2015, 23:42
Chelsea seem to be going from bad to worse. Jose is a fool to himself and set himself up for much of the bad press tbh but he is being victimised by the disgraceful press. But if you do stand up and behave the way he has of late then it is inevitable I suppose. The players seem to have decided amongst themselves, but no doubt they will all feign a "poor ol' Jose " act.

Andrei
28-10-2015, 00:04
I just can't understand what it is with Chelsea at the moment. However I am taking consolation in the rugby!

Stratmangler
28-10-2015, 02:07
I just can't understand what it is with Chelsea at the moment

You and me both!
It's looking like an extreme version of "following title winning season blues" - there's no logical reason for it.

Ah well!
That's my moment of sympathetic bemusement for the season used up :eyebrows:
Crystal Palace at ours tonight - it should be a good game.