PDA

View Full Version : Amplifier

Box13
12-07-2015, 10:38
I have just spent the last couple of hours sticking my second hand set up upstairs in the study.
This leaves me with the rega, a Little Bear is ordered so I can listen to it on headphones [Intempo]
I am now looking for an amplifier in the region of £800 - £1000.

What is your favourite?
What would you recommend?
Do I go for valve, trivista, nuvista or transistor?
If I got a power amp, could I use my Little Bear pre-amp with it?
All opinions gratefully accepted in the spirit of the club.

Firebottle
12-07-2015, 11:47
The nuvistor is a miniature valve, as also is the made up name Trivistor being a 5703WB in fact.

So in reality you only have the choice between valve (tube or thermionic) or solid state amplification.

The choice is huge but expect to pay more for quality valve amplification, one of the critical components is the output transformer and good ones aren't cheap.

:)

Joe
12-07-2015, 12:16
The nuvistor is a miniature valve, as also is the made up name Trivistor being a 5703WB in fact.

So in reality you only have the choice between valve (tube or thermionic) or solid state amplification.

Or hybrids. But the choice is huge, especially if secondhand is OK, and mostly comes down to what speakers you have, and how they like/need to be driven. I've had both valve and solid state, and have settled on the latter because it's lower maintenance to someone like me whose DIY skills are non-existent, and sounds just as good to my ears.

Haselsh1
12-07-2015, 14:56
Or hybrids. But the choice is huge, especially if secondhand is OK, and mostly comes down to what speakers you have, and how they like/need to be driven. I've had both valve and solid state, and have settled on the latter because it's lower maintenance to someone like me whose DIY skills are non-existent, and sounds just as good to my ears.

Fully agree with that comment which is why I shall soon be kitting myself out with Glen Croft's Series 7 monoblocks. I already have a Micro 25 Basic so I am almost fully hybrid.

Firebottle
12-07-2015, 15:41
Croft's hybrid approach is in my opinion the way to go, by using modern power FETs you get the best of everything.

FETs are the closest to the way a valve works that any solid state device can offer, but without the draw back of requiring a large heater power and the high 'internal resistance' Ra of a valve.

Long live FET's :D

Box13
12-07-2015, 18:07
Croft's hybrid approach is in my opinion the way to go, by using modern power FETs you get the best of everything.

FETs are the closest to the way a valve works that any solid state device can offer, but without the draw back of requiring a large heater power and the high 'internal resistance' Ra of a valve.

Long live FET's :D

I'll have a look, thank you.

Box13
12-07-2015, 18:21
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291513076881?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Just bought one of these for £5:50.
Could it run a power amp?

Box13
12-07-2015, 18:22
http://i.imgur.com/56uBew5.jpg

Box13
12-07-2015, 18:29
These beauties represent marvelous value for money

http://i.imgur.com/KRukNaI.jpg

MarginWalker
12-07-2015, 18:37
What are they?

Firebottle
12-07-2015, 19:00
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291513076881?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Just bought one of these for £5:50.
Could it run a power amp?

Yes this will act as a preamp to drive a power amp. Good price :)

Wakefield Turntables
12-07-2015, 19:55
well you can buy the RCA's cheapish from Maplins.

Box13
13-07-2015, 10:13
Yes this will act as a preamp to drive a power amp. Good price :)

Thank you for both the congratulations and the advice, I can't wait for it to arrive now, as I've been bowled over by the P5

Box13
13-07-2015, 10:14
well you can buy the RCA's cheapish from Maplins.

Food for thought, thank you.

LouisB
13-07-2015, 19:10
Hi,

Sorry to hijack. I noticed the little bear valve pre-amps.

I was thinking to make a passive pre for when I get a new main power amp, to bypass pre in my Arcam A85 when using turntable (via Project phonobox RS)

Now I think about these. Do they sound good any good?

A little, simple valve pre-amp could be ideal if they sound good?

rdpx
13-07-2015, 22:18
A REGA OSIRIS would be a great match for your turntable.

walpurgis
13-07-2015, 22:46
If I was looking for a single amplifier solution at (comparatively) sensible money, I'd be looking here: http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/article/creek-destiny-2--pound;1749/9718

Box13
14-07-2015, 06:29
Hi,

Sorry to hijack. I noticed the little bear valve pre-amps.

I was thinking to make a passive pre for when I get a new main power amp, to bypass pre in my Arcam A85 when using turntable (via Project phonobox RS)

Now I think about these. Do they sound good any good?

A little, simple valve pre-amp could be ideal if they sound good?

The answer to that is it depends upon your other equipment and the use to which you put it.
I am using mine between my Denon CD510 and the Teac A5000.
It makes the CD player sound like a good turntable, so as you can imagine, I am delighted with it.

Box13
14-07-2015, 06:32
If I was looking for a single amplifier solution at (comparatively) sensible money, I'd be looking here: http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/article/creek-destiny-2--pound;1749/9718

I have heard Creek equipment in the past Wally and I'm sure it will be very nice.
However; the Little Bear costs a tad less than £1800!!!

Dauntless
14-07-2015, 11:29
The answer to that is it depends upon your other equipment and the use to which you put it.
I am using mine between my Denon CD510 and the Teac A5000.
It makes the CD player sound like a good turntable, so as you can imagine, I am delighted with it.

Hi Box13 - Glad you like your Little Bear Pre. I noticed there are some other Little Bear Pre's in that shop, some of them that cost North of 25 quid. Did your P5 include a power supply and if so did you use it? Might save up for one myself!

Box13
14-07-2015, 19:21
Hi Box13 - Glad you like your Little Bear Pre. I noticed there are some other Little Bear Pre's in that shop, some of them that cost North of 25 quid. Did your P5 include a power supply and if so did you use it? Might save up for one myself!

It came with a transformer, which seems to supply it with the appropriate power.

Box13
14-07-2015, 19:31

It came with a transformer, which seems to supply it with the appropriate power. Here you go:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Little-bear-BLUE-P5-1-stereo-tube-valve-buffer-Preamp-Preamplifier-amp-ver1-3-AC-/301688068749?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item463e029a8d

Anthony K
14-07-2015, 22:08
eBay have some great Creek amps , I recently purchased an ex dem A50 for a friend. My brother uses a Destiny 2 amp and it is truly superb. The A50 is no slouch for the cash.

walpurgis
14-07-2015, 22:14
The Destiny 2 seems scarce. I think people hang onto them.

rdpx
14-07-2015, 22:36
The Destiny 2 seems scarce. I think people hang onto them.
They go for around £800 second hand, in case anyone else is interested.

rdpx
15-07-2015, 02:23
I am now looking for an amplifier in the region of £800 - £1000

Bingo.

Dauntless
16-07-2015, 10:20
Visited Doukstore and decided to take a punt at this : - 6N3+6Z4 tube valve Pre-AMP Class A audio stereo preamplifier include transformer. A little dearer than the P5 but they say it's class A and is mains direct. I have a class D power amp and according to it's maker it needs an active pre rather than a passive so let us see. If it's not so good at £50 it's not a disaster! It's coming from China so I will have to wait a few days for delivery.

LouisB
16-07-2015, 19:10
(Creek destiny also added to my shortlist of things to watch for)

walpurgis
16-07-2015, 19:52
(Creek destiny also added to my shortlist of things to watch for)

Is that Destiny or Destiny 2?

The original Destiny was very good, but the Destiny 2 is the one I'd be looking at.

rdpx
17-07-2015, 00:50
Hey BOX13 I was going to send you a private message but you don't seem to have that option available which is very odd.

Did you block me by mistake perhaps? I know it is very hard to get to grips with this new-fangled computer stuff sometimes.

Robert

Box13
17-07-2015, 05:41
Hey BOX13 I was going to send you a private message but you don't seem to have that option available which is very odd.

Did you block me by mistake perhaps? I know it is very hard to get to grips with this new-fangled computer stuff sometimes.

Robert

Dear Robert, you are not on ignore. Which is the only thing I have turned on.
What can I do for you sir?

YNWaN
17-07-2015, 08:47
I can't remember, but you may have to actually turn on (in settings) the option of receiving PM messages.

Box13
17-07-2015, 09:14
I can't remember, but you may have to actually turn on (in settings) the option of receiving PM messages.

The very last thing I want is a post mortem message!!

anthonyTD
17-07-2015, 10:48
I am not sure why i am getting this feeling Box,
But i am becoming very suspicious about your intentions here on AOS, lets hope my feelings turn out to be totally unfounded!
Anthony,TD...

Reffc
17-07-2015, 11:11
But i am becoming very suspicious about your intentions here on AOS, lets hope my feelings turn out to be totally unfounded!
Anthony,TD...

Hmmmm...let me get this straight Box13, you ordered a Little Bear pre from China and it arrived within two days (ref your post #7 where you "just" ordered a Little Bear from Hong Kong) and was plugged into the system long enough for you to get an informed opinion on how it sounded? :scratch:

I know that "only the best will do" but an order placed with a Chinese company (not UK stock) and you have it within 2 days? Also, why would you (or anybody) go to the trouble of wanting to invest up to £1000 on a decent power amp and partner it with a cheap chinese £5 preamp of unknown design and quality? :scratch:

That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Box13
17-07-2015, 11:38
Hmmmm...let me get this straight Box13, you ordered a Little Bear pre from China and it arrived within two days (ref your post #7 where you "just" ordered a Little Bear from Hong Kong) and was plugged into the system long enough for you to get an informed opinion on how it sounded? :scratch:

I know that "only the best will do" but an order placed with a Chinese company (not UK stock) and you have it within 2 days? Also, why would you (or anybody) go to the trouble of wanting to invest up to £1000 on a decent power amp and partner it with a cheap chinese £5 preamp of unknown design and quality? :scratch:

That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

I haven't received it yet. You are mixing up the blue unit with the P5, which I had ordered a few days before.
It only took a few days to come though.

Box13
17-07-2015, 11:41
Anthony,TD...

I'm here to talk Hi-Fi.
I have no idea of the motives behind your suspicion.
If my contributions upset you, you can always put me on ignore.

walpurgis
17-07-2015, 14:37
I've bought from far east sellers and received the item in a couple of days. Some of the sellers seem to keep stocks in the UK. Presumably with friends or relatives over here. It makes sense. Ship over in bulk and mail sold items at local UK rates.

Box13
17-07-2015, 14:45
I've bought from far east sellers and received the item in a couple of days. Some of the sellers seem to keep stocks in the UK. Presumably with friends or relatives over here. It makes sense. Ship over in bulk and mail sold items at local UK rates.

If I remember rightly Wally it was little more than a week before my P5 arrived, so now I'm hoping the Blue Little Bear will come as quickly. I am also waiting the Gold Little Bear headphone amp. I think the performance is great no matter how cheap they are. It's just personal taste I guess. Even if I'd paid the full £35 for each unit I think I'd be satisfied and it will give me a chance to listen to stuff before splashing out more

p.s. I'm a pagan too I celebrate Walpurgis Night on April the 1st rather than October the 31st.

rdpx
17-07-2015, 15:12
What happened to my post?

:scratch:

Desmo
17-07-2015, 16:27
Before this thread I did not even know there was an 'ignore' setting. I've now found a use for it!

rdpx
17-07-2015, 16:41
I'm here to talk Hi-Fi.
I have no idea of the motives behind your suspicion.
If my contributions upset you, you can always put me on ignore.

Hey there BOX13

I have tried a couple of times to try to help explain why Anthony might be suspicious of your contributions on here, but my posts keep getting deleted, so I am afraid you are going to have to remain in the dark!!

Have you now concluded your search for an amplifier with this £5 chinese thing, or are you still looking for advice about a £1000 one?

rdpx
17-07-2015, 16:47
Dear Robert, you are not on ignore. Which is the only thing I have turned on.
What can I do for you sir?

Here is some help for you with this confusing site, follow this to turn your private messages back on.....:

Go to SETTINGS at top right, then click the wee buttons that you can see here:

http://i.imgur.com/Ad3KjN2.png

:doh:

Gordon Steadman
17-07-2015, 19:12
I haven't received it yet. You are mixing up the blue unit with the P5, which I had ordered a few days before.

Strange, on The Audio Standard, your alter ego says it has been installed since the 9th July!!:scratch:

PS. Calling someone blabbermouth is not very nice!!

karma67
17-07-2015, 19:50
busted!

Reffc
17-07-2015, 20:22
busted!

Reffc
17-07-2015, 20:30

Am I missing something here?

You specifically mentioned a "Little Bear" bought for a fiver off ebay and this specifically showed a blue Little Bear P5

If it isn't the little Bear P5 you ordered, then why post a link showing exactly that?

Also, just in case there has been a misunderstanding, if it wasn't Little Bear's P5...whose was it? :lol:

I invite you to re-read your post #7

This is getting very confusing..

(Must be doing your SEO a world of good though...unless of course it's all made up)

Barry
17-07-2015, 21:15
You're not the only one who's confused! :scratch:

Dauntless
18-07-2015, 11:26

Seems to be some controversy here. I was curious so I've ordered this from the Doukstore shop : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281531049641

This is coming from China and the projected delivery is early August. Some of the product seems to be located in Germany though. If there is any interest I will post on this product!

struth
18-07-2015, 11:29
Seems to be some controversy here. I was curious so I've ordered this from the Doukstore shop : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281531049641

This is coming from China and the projected delivery is early August. Some of the product seems to be located in Germany though. If there is any interest I will post on this product!

looks ok Michael...at least it has blue caps;)

Reffc
18-07-2015, 16:19

Except it appears to be 110/220V not 240V as claimed in the ad. Be careful. I know they're relatively cheap but watching them catch fire within a year or two you may as well burn the cash. Still, always possible to uprate the power supply.

Dauntless
18-07-2015, 22:33
Except it appears to be 110/220V not 240V as claimed in the ad. Be careful. I know they're relatively cheap but watching them catch fire within a year or two you may as well burn the cash. Still, always possible to uprate the power supply.

Hi Paul, Thanks for your comments. Would it not be possible to use a variac transformer to step down to 220v? I've had a look and there seem to be a big range available. I wonder what amperage output to go for. This maybe a useful bit of kit to have and I've considered this option before but lack of knowledge is holding me back!

struth
18-07-2015, 22:41
Shouldnt be a problem. I have one that does up to 160 watts that I built into a box. can run a small power amp ok.

Reffc
19-07-2015, 10:18
Hi Paul, Thanks for your comments. Would it not be possible to use a variac transformer to step down to 220v? I've had a look and there seem to be a big range available. I wonder what amperage output to go for. This maybe a useful bit of kit to have and I've considered this option before but lack of knowledge is holding me back!

If you could find an alternative inexpensive 240V ransformer, that might be the more elegant solution. I'm betting that RS components would have something off the shelf for less than the cost of a variac.

Firebottle
19-07-2015, 11:51
Use a smaller transformer in a bucking arrangement. With a 50VA transformer you can use it to reduce to 220V for equipment up to 600VA (W).

Box13
19-07-2015, 16:59
I am just back to the range, having spent a delightful day listening to three second hand amplifiers that the owners are selling.
The trend seems to be going to 5.1!
I packed my Yamaha KX480se to act as constant source, as I did not want to keep setting up the rega.
So I took a TDK chrome super audio tape with the new Huis album recorded onto it and set off for a lengthy drive.
What I wanted from the amplifier I was going to choose was simply volume.
No sort of sound, just a wire with gain and I know I was asking a lot.
I had decided to go second hand to have some cash left over for either speakers or a step up transformer or what ever.
So the speakers were something of a problem, so I took my trusty Hitachi 3's but let each owner demonstrate their amplifier with their own system first. Then with my tape deck, then with my speakers (they got some funny looks, but I did not care I have lived with them for some time and know their strengths and weaknesses.
So the amplifiers I auditioned were those below.

http://i.imgur.com/xqGV58Lm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/b0PHs5zm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qDxvzmBm.jpg

I heard the transistor first, then the trivistor, then the valve.
I am just going to call the lucky winner, I was wondering which you think I went for?
The asking price for two was almost roughly the same at £350 for the NAD and Musical Fidelity and £500 for the Unison Research.

Macca
19-07-2015, 17:37
I'm going to guess you got the Musical Fidelity.

Barry
19-07-2015, 18:07
Me too. :D

Box13
19-07-2015, 20:04
You both got it in one, well done.
I complained that the price was a bit steep so the seller agreed to throw in 40 metres of Q.E.D. silver anniversary speaker cable for me.
Once I've collected the amplifier, I'm going to be burning to get some speakers, but will initially use the partnership with my trusty Hitachi 3's.

Box13
21-07-2015, 13:04
Hoorah my Little Bear P51 has arrived already!

http://i.imgur.com/5zLyfCb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/egc85cu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zJpr5yM.jpg

Standing next to my P5

http://i.imgur.com/VA1nmxm.jpg

DSJR
21-07-2015, 13:28
The QED SA should go in the tidy tip immediately, as it's so unmusical and easily beaten by a heavy duty mains cable!!!!!

walpurgis
21-07-2015, 13:58
I agree with Dave. Last time I tried some QED Silver Anniversary it sounded dire on my system. A crude, coarse and gritty sound. Nasty.

Spectral Morn
21-07-2015, 14:15
I agree with Dave. Last time I tried some QED Silver Anniversary it sounded dire on my system. A crude, coarse and gritty sound. Nasty.

Agreed not a good choice with an MF A3 amp either.

Regards Neil

Box13
21-07-2015, 17:12
The QED SA should go in the tidy tip immediately, as it's so unmusical and easily beaten by a heavy duty mains cable!!!!!

Well it will not hurt to try it once I get some speakers.
I have some links to alternatives, thanks to a kind chap on these very pages.
I have also yet to be convinced that wires 'have' sound!

Box13
21-07-2015, 17:13
Agreed not a good choice with an MF A3 amp either.

Regards Neil

Do you mean it might damage the amplifier?

Box13
21-07-2015, 17:15
I have one on order now, so as to hear my rega before I need spend on speakers.
I have no association with the company and am not giving them a free plug, I just like them.

YNWaN
21-07-2015, 17:24
If all you were interested in was 'simply volume' they I struggle to see why you bothered auditioning any of them as you criteria for choice can easily be verified simply from the specifications of each unit. You could have bought significantly more 'volume' for less money too.

Desmo
21-07-2015, 17:46
I have one on order now, so as to hear my rega before I need spend on speakers.
I have no association with the company and am not giving them a free plug, I just like them.
you certainly do seem to like Little Bear that's your third unit from them!

walpurgis
21-07-2015, 17:54
I have also yet to be convinced that wires 'have' sound!

Cables ("wires") do not have a sound. But they have varying effects on the sound produced by the equipment they are used with. There can be great differences in the influence cables have.

Box13
21-07-2015, 17:57
Cables ("wires") do not have a sound. But they have varying effects on the sound produced by the equipment they are used with. There can be great differences in the influence cables have.

How dare you tread on the hallowed belief system of the Art of Sound!!!! (sardonicism for those who do not recognise it).
You are a breath of fresh air Walpurgis, the voice of reason.

Box13
21-07-2015, 18:00
you certainly do seem to like Little Bear that's your third unit from them!

They are cheap and do a good job for modest outlay.
I do like them, but I am not yet an audiophile!
If I am lucky perhaps I will remain just a music lover. A fan of reasonable audio equipment.

I am not chinese as has been suggested, nor do I have any financial connection to the company.

Spectral Morn
21-07-2015, 18:24
Do you mean it might damage the amplifier?

No just make it more forward and bright sounding.

Regards Neil

Box13
22-07-2015, 12:49

Dear Walpurgis,
Was it you who described the QED speaker cable as harsh and gritty?
Could it be that your assessment was on a system that was like that?
The reason I ask is because it seems at odds with the following:-

Reviewed on 11th June 2008
This excellent product has been our budget cable benchmark. Indeed, in 2007 it bagged a What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision gong for the third year running.

Some may say it sounds a tad lean, but as long as you partner it with suitable electronics, you'll be privy to a fantastic sound.

Read more at http://www.whathifi.com/qed/silver-anniversary-xt/review#qgwsShZfAS3DBK6o.99

Virkon
22-07-2015, 15:06
Dear Walpurgis,
Was it you who described the QED speaker cable as harsh and gritty?
Could it be that your assessment was on a system that was like that?
The reason I ask is because it seems at odds with the following:-

Reviewed on 11th June 2008
This excellent product has been our budget cable benchmark. Indeed, in 2007 it bagged a What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision gong for the third year running.

Some may say it sounds a tad lean, but as long as you partner it with suitable electronics, you'll be privy to a fantastic sound.

Read more at http://www.whathifi.com/qed/silver-anniversary-xt/review#qgwsShZfAS3DBK6o.99

As i said on your loudspeaker thread what one person hears another will hear it differently so opinions of others won't necessarily lead to your satisfaction. Even magazine reviews glowing or daming are the opinion of just one person in their system etc.

Box13
22-07-2015, 16:43
As i said on your loudspeaker thread what one person hears another will hear it differently so opinions of others won't necessarily lead to your satisfaction. Even magazine reviews glowing or daming are the opinion of just one person in their system etc.

Fair point.
I think the sensible thing to do is try them and see.
I've been surfing for the maximum amount of advice possible whilst listening to my new (to me) CD player and the advice of others has now got my speaker list down to three.
I will put them in the appropriate column.

Box13
23-07-2015, 09:17

As you are far and above the most down to earth and sensible contributor on these pages Walpurgis I have decided to experiment with speaker cable.
At the moment I am enjoying the Sony SS3 speakers on the lounge system, borrowed from the study system. I think they are good enough to show any alterations cables might make.
http://i.imgur.com/RPH55Dft.jpg To this end I have ordered some Van Damme cable from ebay, for an inexpensive experiment. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391129685291?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=660482770449&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I will be sure to let you know my findings.

walpurgis
23-07-2015, 09:29
The Van Damme may not be expensive, but it will be superior to the QED.

Van Damme cables give good results. You will find the sound smoother and cleaner.

(I'm not used to being called "sensible". Some might say otherwise! :lol:)

Roy S
23-07-2015, 09:30
As you are far and above the most down to earth and sensible contributor on these pages

Way to offend the rest of us :lol:

Box13
23-07-2015, 09:31
The Van Damme may not be expensive, but it will be superior to the QED.

Van Damme cables give good results. You will find the sound smoother and cleaner.

I look forward to it's arrival my friend.
I have also sent you a personal message to you and the moderators which may help many.

Box13
23-07-2015, 09:33

I do not see congratulating a member as insulting to others unless they are insufferably precious.
I am certain you are not Roy [quietly smiling].

Gordon Steadman
23-07-2015, 09:33

One man's sensible is another man's what I want to hear:)

Roy S
23-07-2015, 09:34
I do not see congratulating a member as insulting to others unless they are insufferably precious.
I am certain you are not Roy [quietly smiling].

I've picked my dummy up now ;)

Firebottle
23-07-2015, 15:59
Well that's another definition of IP..........insufferably precious :eyebrows:

Good one Box,

Box13
23-07-2015, 17:18
Well that's another definition of IP..........insufferably precious :eyebrows:

Good one Box,

I try.