PDA

View Full Version : What about a "Spares" section?

DarrenHW
11-07-2015, 11:01
I'm a habitual second hand hi-fi buyer, I hit the carboots just about every week, local auctions whenever I can and can't pass a skip without digging through it. I've had some amazing finds but the majority of them are broken or missing something and generally the cost or availability of replacement second hand parts prohibits repair. I can't bring myself to throw these items away, nor can I be bothered to strip them down, photograph and list all the individual components for sale so they go into (my now various) bone yards to collect dust.

I'm sure I'm not the only person here who does this.

My proposal is that we have a place where members can simply list the equipment they have available for spares with a brief description, e.g. in my hallway waiting to be moved into a relevant bone yard I have:
Nad 3120 - Doesn't power on,
Marantz CD63SE - Needs new pickup,
Thorens TD160 - Motor spindle knocking.

Ideally this would be easy to search so any members who've just had a part fail or picked something up that needs a replacement part can quickly check to see if there are any listings and get in touch with the relevant member(s). My thought with this is that it should be in the community spirit, members helping each other out and should not be another outlet for opportunistic over inflated prices.

I think this would be a great way to keep old, otherwise pretty much worthless equipment in service and help members such as myself who have a tendency to hoard to thin down their "collections" (or at least make some room for new arrivals :doh:), safe in the knowledge that they've saved another item from the tip.

What do you think?

Wakefield Turntables
11-07-2015, 11:21
This is a great idea. +1

walpurgis
11-07-2015, 11:38
Could be time consuming. You're talking about half my possessions here. :D

DarrenHW
11-07-2015, 11:57
Could be time consuming. You're talking about half my possessions here. :D

As for time consuming, this is why I suggest a simple list. You pick something up, it doesn't work, you identify the problem and attempt in vain to find a spare part, at that stage you post the model and problem before shelving it, listing it would constitute a very small percentage of the time you've spent working on it. Admittedly if you have an extensive collection to back catalog this could take sometime but in an ideal world you'll find the parts you need for some of these "projects" listed by someone else as well as thinning down by moving other parts on.

Spectral Morn
11-07-2015, 17:31
To my mind this doesn't require a new section as its in reality items for sale, so they deserve their own listings within Private Exhibitions come the time for sale.

Regards Neil

walpurgis
11-07-2015, 17:43
To my mind this doesn't require a new section as its in reality items for sale, so they deserve their own listings within Private Exhibitions come the time for sale.

Regards Neil

I agree. Non functional Hi-Fi items and spare parts are just as worthy of inclusion in Private Exhibitions as anything else. As long as condition is made clear.

Us-&-Them
17-08-2015, 22:33
I think this would be a great way to keep old, otherwise pretty much worthless equipment in service and help members such as myself who have a tendency to hoard to thin down their "collections" (or at least make some room for new arrivals :doh:), safe in the knowledge that they've saved another item from the tip.

What do you think?

I think that's bang on !! I get sick, tired and fed with the exploitation that goes on in places such as eBay - the prices on there have gone nuts!!!!! I much prefer what you have said and recycle bits and pieces to help members out etc :) Good suggestion. :D

Barry
17-08-2015, 22:58
Are these spares 'gratis' or would you charge for them? :scratch: If they are for sale, then the condition that they be accompanied by a photograph still applies.

walpurgis
17-08-2015, 23:12
Are these spares 'gratis' or would you charge for them? :scratch: If they are for sale, then the condition that they be accompanied by a photograph still applies.

Yes. I think that should be the case, as it is for other items offered for sale. There have been items needing attention and component parts offered before and the rules have applied.

Dunno about freebies, but it would be good to have photos.

Barry
17-08-2015, 23:16
Yes. I think that should be the case, as it is for other items offered for sale. There have been items needing attention and component parts offered before and the rules have applied.

Dunno about freebies, but it would be good to have photos.

So the "Spares Section" would be a sub-forum of Private Exhibitions?

walpurgis
17-08-2015, 23:33
Free stuff could perhaps be in a separate sub forum, but I don't see a real need. Spare parts and non functional or defective items offered for sale could just carry on being put on 'Private Exhibitions' as per normal as has been done previously. There were free cables in the last day or so and components parts are offered too.

I think the main question was whether free stuff and spares should be offered. Well they have been, without problems.

Barry
17-08-2015, 23:40
Free stuff could perhaps be in a separate sub forum, but I don't see a real need. Spare parts and non functional or defective items offered for sale could just carry on being put on 'Private Exhibitions' as per normal as has been done previously. There were free cables in the last day or so and components parts are offered too.

I think the main question was whether free stuff and spares should be offered. Well they have been, without problems.

So it wouldn't be a "Spares" only section. There would be no distinction between spare parts and non-functional and defective items, and fully working working items.

I thought the OP wanted a section where anyone who was just looking for spare parts could go.

Audio Al
18-08-2015, 05:56
Could you not just prefix the listing title in Private Exhibition as follows :-

SPARES , My old NADS

or

FREE , My old NADS

Then give details of whats on offer with a full description and some photos of said item also giving a postage cost

Sound like a good idea 2 me , saves wasting HiFi equipment :)

DarrenHW
18-08-2015, 06:10
...I thought the OP wanted a section where anyone who was just looking for spare parts could go.

Exactly, I couldn't be bothered to photograph and list everything I have available and post in the classifieds only for it to disappear into the abyss after a couple of days. There would also have to be a facility to edit the list to avoid it tuning into a fragmented thread.

For Example:

DarrenHW
18-08-2015, 06:10
Amplifiers:

Armstrong 621 – Powers on but blow’s fuse – DarrenHW.
Beomaster 3000 – Works but power switch broken – DarrenHW.
Nad 3130 – No power – DarrenHW.

DarrenHW
18-08-2015, 06:11
CD Players:

Marantz CD63SE – Needs new laser – DarrenHW.
Phillips CD450 – Works but sticky drawer – DarrenHW.
Technics SL-PG490 – Works but sticky drawer – DarrenHW.

DarrenHW
18-08-2015, 06:12
And so on...

Anyone then looking for a spare part can go to the spares thread, scroll to the relevant post (Amplifiers, CD Players, Speakers, etc...) and search alphabetically. If they find what they’re looking for they can PM the relevant member to see if they have the required part.

The next time I pick up another car boot treasure that’s beyond repair, I (or any other participating member) would need to be able to add this to the relevant post. I understand this would require some administration, but I (and I’m sure a number of other contributors) would be happy to undertake this.

Cost of parts would have to be at the seller’s discretion but my hope would be that this would be in the community spirit. Personally I would happily give the majority of what I have away and what I did charge for would be at a fair price and not based on eBay pricing. I think this would be pretty much self regulating as I imagine a lot of the buyers from the spares section would also be sellers.

Just to further complicate matter we could have an AoS charity of choice and a donation could be made instead of a direct payment to the seller.

I don’t know, I thought it was a good idea that would benefit the community but there doesn’t seem to be much support :confused:.

Desmo
18-08-2015, 09:35
I agree that it's a good idea, just needs the structure sorting out, but your latest few posts have helped clarify things. I can see it becoming a bit of a nightmare to maintain the list, but surely it's worth a try?

Barry
18-08-2015, 17:45
I agree it would be a useful facility, but anything posted for sale here on AoS has to be accompanied by a photograph of the actual item. If sellers are willing to do that, regardless of the humble nature of the spare part for sale (for example a capacitor, valve or transformer), then I can't see why it couldn't be implemented.

walpurgis
18-08-2015, 19:01
There's also the possiblilty with a spares section that does not require photos that people who can't be bothered to load photos will start using it for whole, functional Hi-Fi items. That would have to be monitored too in addition to the non compliance that happens on Private Exhibitions already.

Barry
18-08-2015, 19:05
There's also the possiblilty with a spares section that does not require photos that people who can't be bothered to load photos will start using it for whole, functional Hi-Fi items. That would have to be monitored too in addition to the non compliance that happens on Private Exhibitions already.

That thought had crossed my mind. (I've started something in the Mod Room.)

Us-&-Them
18-08-2015, 23:37
Come on guys lets get this spares idea up and going - it beats being ripped off on eBay all the while (eBay's prices (and a lot of the sellers prices) have gone totally nuts). I cant be bothered with it anymore, the prices are just toooo dear - I think people are trying to be able to retire off a single sale :lol:

StanleyB
21-08-2015, 07:57
I got loads of spares that could be of interest to hobbyists etc. I am all for a sub forum or whatever. In order to distinguish it from other similar forum sections we could maybe call it Spares R Us.

Audio Al
21-08-2015, 09:14
Don't forget Stan that Marco likes strange names , so maybe " Recycle Exhibitions " or " Mostly FUBAR'D " :)

Joe
21-08-2015, 09:17
Don't forget Stan that Marco likes strange names , so maybe " Recycle Exhibitions " or " Mostly FUBAR'D " :)

'Big bag of pishanto shite', surely?

Marco
21-08-2015, 09:25
Lol.....

We're looking into this at the moment, chaps, to see how best to implement a 'spares' section. Darren, would you like to take it on as a little project, if I gave you the necessary permissions to manage that section of the forum? :)

Marco.

DarrenHW
21-08-2015, 10:12
Yes, I'd be happy to take it on.

Marco
21-08-2015, 11:56
Okies, leave it with me :thumbsup:

Marco.

Macca
21-08-2015, 12:02
I got loads of spares that could be of interest to hobbyists etc. I am all for a sub forum or whatever. In order to distinguish it from other similar forum sections we could maybe call it Spares R Us.

Good name but already taken by some Australian company.

Marco
21-08-2015, 12:21
The name of the new section would need to have an arty theme, which also relates to either hi-fi or music, like everything else here. Remember the name of the forum, guys, and what it stands for! ;)

Marco.

struth
21-08-2015, 12:34
Any Old Ions

The Black Adder
21-08-2015, 13:42
'Art of Junk' :)

Marco
21-08-2015, 13:47
How about 'The Recycling Station'?

Marco.

Firebottle
21-08-2015, 16:19
' The Recycling Auditorium '

:)

Gordon Steadman
21-08-2015, 16:39
Consider Recycling A Pleasure

Audio Al
21-08-2015, 16:42

Best one yet :lol:

brian2957
21-08-2015, 16:43

:lol: You can always rely on you Gordon :)

Marco
21-08-2015, 20:28
' The Recycling Auditorium '

:)

Like it, but I think 'Station' or 'Studio' rolls off the tongue more than 'Auditorium' :)

Marco.

agk
24-08-2015, 08:36
'Remix Collection'.

Surely just an extra area of the forum under the classified banner is sufficient? Nice and simple.

Marco
24-08-2015, 09:04
I quite like that, Andrew! Perhaps just put 'The' at the beginning, to make it 'The Remix Collection'? :)

Yup, and that's exactly where it would be going: in a sub-forum next to the classifieds.

Marco.

agk
24-08-2015, 11:47
That works for me man. Could be a handy resource.

Marco
24-08-2015, 12:05
Cool. We'll be making it happen as soon as some folks involved in setting up the room and maintaining it come back from their hols :cool:

Marco.

RobbieGong
24-08-2015, 15:41
The Parts of Sound

struth
24-08-2015, 15:48
The Parts of Sound

Like that one Robert:)

Marco
24-08-2015, 17:20
Yup, keep the suggestions for names coming, folks, as nothing has been set in stone yet :)

Marco.

Puffin
24-08-2015, 19:08
The Left Handed Thread
Need a Screw?
Full to Capacitor
Bollox- I knew I would need that one day!

struth
24-08-2015, 23:05
Spare capacity

Audio Al
25-08-2015, 00:09
Alternative Offload Sales

Gordon Steadman
25-08-2015, 04:56
♫♫Any Old Spares, Any Old Spares, Any, Any Any Old Spares ♫♫

Joe
25-08-2015, 22:05
Keeping with the 'arty' theme for section titles, I suggest 'objets trouvés'.

struth
25-08-2015, 22:09
♫♫Any Old Spares, Any Old Spares, Any, Any Any Old Spares ♫♫

I tried any old ions but it got no love :(

spendorman
26-08-2015, 08:54
One careful owner and several that weren't

spendorman
26-08-2015, 08:56
Arthur Daley's Hi Fi Spares

Gordon Steadman
26-08-2015, 09:05
Keeping with the 'arty' theme for section titles, I suggest 'objets trouvés'.

That's a bit OT!

Gordon Steadman
26-08-2015, 09:09
The Parts of Sound

Or The Sound of Parts

struth
26-08-2015, 09:34
another 60s tune revamp... Bits n Pieces :eyebrows:

karma67
26-08-2015, 17:55
I tried any old ions but it got no love :(
you would if you lived down here!

struth
26-08-2015, 18:46
you would if you lived down here!

:lol::eyebrows:

StanleyB
27-08-2015, 19:19
What about The Audio Scrapyard?

Macca
28-08-2015, 08:04
'Artist's Materials'?

karma67
28-08-2015, 11:22
parts depot
spares and repairs
the scrap yard
rares and repairs
bits and pieces
bone yard
elephants grave yard

Puffin
28-08-2015, 17:55
Pick 'n Mix

Gordon Steadman
28-08-2015, 18:01
A bit of spare!

Audio Al
28-08-2015, 18:05
PLEASE Take it away :)

Firebottle
28-08-2015, 18:19
PLEASE Take it away :)

What you got Al? :eyebrows:

Audio Al
28-08-2015, 18:56
What you got Al? :eyebrows:

Lots :) I play with my gear , Q Marco with funny comment ;)

Marco
28-08-2015, 21:23
Yesh, you've played with it that much, you've worn it away! :eyebrows:

Marco.

karma67
12-09-2015, 09:05
has this died a death or is it still on the cards?

Audio Al
12-09-2015, 09:24

The people who have mystical powers work in the dungeon and only come out when things are sorted out :)

walpurgis
12-09-2015, 09:30

It's in the AOS 'still thinking about it' buffer zone. I believe it's still awaiting a good name for the sub forum before anything moves on.

Personally I'm not sure it's needed. There's nothing stopping people from listing spares, incomplete and non functional items in the regular Private Exhibitions thread as things stand.

karma67
12-09-2015, 15:28
yep thats a good point.

StanleyB
28-11-2015, 11:08
What is the latest implementation plan by the Admin with regards to the Spares section? i for one am looking forward to contributing to it.

RobbieGong
28-11-2015, 11:18
What is the latest implementation plan by the Admin with regards to the Spares section? i for one am looking forward to contributing to it.

Good question, the first post was back in July :eek: Might be an idea for the team to look at the number of posts for the idea. If posts for clearly out number any negatives then maybe use the voting button system in regards to suggested names

struth
28-11-2015, 11:20
Seems to have been put on back burner for now . Marco has been nusy elsewhere. I dare say it will get done when he has time

struth
28-11-2015, 11:20
....maybe;)

Macca
28-11-2015, 11:25
My recollection is that Jamie was supposed to be taking charge of it once he came back from holiday or moved house or something.

struth
28-11-2015, 11:51
Thought it was Darren lol... Ah well it was someone

Macca
28-11-2015, 12:01
Might have been Darren...

struth
28-11-2015, 12:12
There was the condition i got the full size version of his avatar:eyebrows:

StanleyB
28-11-2015, 12:33
The length of time that this is taking is restricting trade, and possibly the potential to attract new members. The DIY section is an obvious beneficiary of a Spares option, and the two could be linked.

Marco
28-11-2015, 18:43
It was Darren, and I admit we've both just been too busy with other things in our respective 'real lives'.

The reality now, with AoS the size that it is (and the time it takes to manage it and live out with of that), unless whoever comes up with these ideas is willing to run with it themselves, and we only require to provide them with the required permissions, it just becomes another job that never gets done...

Therefore, if Darren picks up on this, and still has the time to commit to the task, then I'll give him the required permissions to allow him to get on with it. If not, someone else from the membership would have to replace him.

So, remember folks, if you're going to come up with a good idea (which this one definitely is), then before posting it here, be prepared to have a major role in making it happen. That's just how it is these days. Admin, or even the mod team, simply can't do it all :)

Marco.

DarrenHW
29-11-2015, 08:58
Count me in, let me know how you want to proceed and I'll get started :).

There was the condition i got the full size version of his avatar:eyebrows:

Best I can do:

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u606/drtwas/Rigonda_zpsl34rpm7k.jpg (http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/drtwas/media/Rigonda_zpsl34rpm7k.jpg.html)

jandl100
29-11-2015, 09:27
too skinny, women should have womanly curves!

Barry
29-11-2015, 12:04
too skinny, women should have womanly curves!

And she should have the decency to put on some knickers before draping herself over that lovely radiogram. Wanton hussy! :lol:

struth
29-11-2015, 12:30
And she should have the decency to put on some knickers before draping herself over that lovely radiogram. Wanton hussy! :lol:

You mind your own business fount master :D. She'll do me fine thanks:ner:

Marco
29-11-2015, 12:44
Count me in, let me know how you want to proceed and I'll get started :).

Okies.....

Best I can do:

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u606/drtwas/Rigonda_zpsl34rpm7k.jpg (http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/drtwas/media/Rigonda_zpsl34rpm7k.jpg.html)

Is that a nice bit of 'lady fur' I can see there? :eyebrows:

Marco.