PDA

View Full Version : Flying in from the 1980s and a trip to Billy Vee Sound Systems

PhilHamill
11-07-2015, 10:17
Hi - I'm Phil and finally (!), after loving/listening to my sound-system since May 3rd 1986, want to take baby steps toward upgrading: hoping to pick up some tips here. Back on that hot summer day on Lee High Road in Lewisham I splashed out for: Rega Planar 3 + Rega RB100 m/m cartridge with an Inca Tech Claymore Amp and a pair of Paragon Acoustics PA2 Speakers + Heybrook HBS1 speaker stands and 10 metres of QED 79 Strand Cable-black. Wheww, everything still works - good job Ian at Billy Vee!

struth
11-07-2015, 10:22
welcome aboard Phil. Just looking and you are member 10999 so congrats on being the last of the 10k's. nice amps the claymores and the designer,Colin W, is a member here ... any help needed just ask in the appropriate section

Macca
11-07-2015, 12:25
Hi Phil

Welcome to the forum. It may be 29 years old but all your kit is still highly rated.

Spectral Morn
11-07-2015, 13:14
Welcome to AoS Phil

Regards Neil

Box13
11-07-2015, 16:08
Hi - I'm Phil and finally (!), after loving/listening to my sound-system since May 3rd 1986, want to take baby steps toward upgrading: hoping to pick up some tips here. Back on that hot summer day on Lee High Road in Lewisham I splashed out for: Rega Planar 3 + Rega RB100 m/m cartridge with an Inca Tech Claymore Amp and a pair of Paragon Acoustics PA2 Speakers + Heybrook HBS1 speaker stands and 10 metres of QED 79 Strand Cable-black. Wheww, everything still works - good job Ian at Billy Vee!

Greetings and Welcome.
If you decide to part with anything you will have to be very careful or you could end up with a side grade.
If everything works, why not simply treat yourself to some 180gram pressings from Poland?

walpurgis
11-07-2015, 16:25
Hello Phil. Welcome to AOS.

I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you here. Tell us what music you listen to and what if anything you may have in mind for your Hi-Fi system.

Some classic gear you have there, so don't be in too much of a rush to change anything.

There's a Gallery section if you'd like to post photos. They're always appreciated.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Box13
11-07-2015, 16:28
Hello Phil. Welcome to AOS.

I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you here. Tell us what music you listen to and what if anything you may have in mind for your Hi-Fi system.

Some classic gear you have there, so don't be in too much of a rush to change anything.

There's a Gallery section if you'd like to post photos. They're always appreciated.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

I find myself in agreement with you once again Wal.
Could easily spoil a good system there and it would take many pounds to then get the balance right.

dougmon
11-07-2015, 18:16
I'm not familiar with the RB100 cartridge you have (I had assumed that the RB100 was the arm, only because I've never heard of an RB100 cartridge). If your cartridge is getting old you might think about trying the Rega Elys2 cartridge, assuming it fits the arm you have. I've been using one of the Elys2 cartridges since they came out, and I've never really wanted a "better" (more expensive) cartridge. If you do change your cartridge, though, I wouldn't change anything else for a year or so. Or maybe ever. As Box13 wrote, you might just need more records. :eyebrows:

PhilHamill
12-07-2015, 17:50
I'm not familiar with the RB100 cartridge you have (I had assumed that the RB100 was the arm, only because I've never heard of an RB100 cartridge). If your cartridge is getting old you might think about trying the Rega Elys2 cartridge, assuming it fits the arm you have. I've been using one of the Elys2 cartridges since they came out, and I've never really wanted a "better" (more expensive) cartridge. If you do change your cartridge, though, I wouldn't change anything else for a year or so. Or maybe ever. As Box13 wrote, you might just need more records. :eyebrows:

Thanks to everyone who has welcomed me and some very encouraging comments about not rushing to side/upgrade! Will certainly take my time (but not another 29 years ha ha).

Desmo
12-07-2015, 18:04
I think I'd consider a low cost cable upgrade first. Try the Klotz 5000 based interconnect and the Van Damme HiFi speaker cables. I think you will find a considerable change. Details of both these cables are to be found elsewhere on this forum.

dougmon
12-07-2015, 18:56
Thanks to everyone who has welcomed me and some very encouraging comments about not rushing to side/upgrade! Will certainly take my time (but not another 29 years ha ha).

Well, everyone here made me feel welcome, so I'm just passing it on. :)

As far as upgrades, I believe it's possible that too many of us speak from experience. Personally, I have rushed into multiple upgrades, only to have my stereo lose the qualities I liked -- and also to lose the opportunity to get those qualities back. So my advice -- if you change something, live with the change for a while, and KEEP the thing you upgraded from for that time, just in case you want to go back to it.

Who knows, maybe you have the perfect system already :)

walpurgis
12-07-2015, 19:13
As far as upgrades, I believe it's possible that too many of us speak from experience. Personally, I have rushed into multiple upgrades, only to have my stereo lose the qualities I liked

A lot of truth there I think. If you know what type of sound you like, stick with it and work on that.

In my case I like MC cartridges and good CD, along with Class A amplification (valve and solid state) and prefer point source speakers. That's the formula I've used for years.

Eagle owl
16-07-2015, 21:30
Hello and welcome Phil.

Geoff. :wave:

skimminstones
17-07-2015, 19:41
i grew up on the road billy vees shop is on. About half way up that little hill. Used to stare at the window every time i walked past as a kid at the new amps in the windows.

Gordon Steadman
17-07-2015, 19:51
i grew up on the road billy vees shop is on. About half way up that little hill. Used to stare at the window every time i walked past as a kid at the new amps in the windows.

I used to live in Sydenham but Billy Vee was not that far away. I think he must have started quite a few of us on the path.... damn him!!