PDA

View Full Version : Fabulous Mummy speakers

Firebottle
11-07-2015, 08:45
I've now heard these hORNS Mummy speakers and they are incredible.

I have no connection with GPoint Audio other than having met Greg at the last Cranage show. The speakers in question were in Lee's system in an average sized lounge.

Lee positions his speakers in the corners and it was thought that the Mummy's just wouldn't work in the corners. They are bass reflex with rear facing ports.
How wrong that thought was...........

Lee played a good mix of music, jazz, rock and heavy rock and the sound was essentially perfect. Absolutely stunning dynamics, scale, a tangibility to whoever the artist was playing.
You know when you sit down in front of a new piece of kit and try to find a weak link to the presentation/sound (Macca's favoured approach), well with the Mummy's there was nothing to fault, absolutely nothing.

The expectation that the bass would boom being in the room corners was just totally unproven, the bottom end was the tautest and cleanest I have heard in a domestic environment, and low, the 12 inch bass driver really plumbing the depths.

Here is how they look, image from the web:

http://www.inner-magazines.com/uploads/images/BLOG/Puola%20horn3.jpg

Lee told me that they sound wonderful at low volume levels as well as really cranked up, showing the synergy with the room was truly amazing.

An unusual look but performance to die for. The are also very efficient so a quality flea power amp is all you need. Lee was using an AN 8W class A.

RRP is around £4000 but it can only be said they are worth it. Definitely on my wish list.

:eek: Alan

Jimbo
11-07-2015, 10:36
I've now heard these hORNS Mummy speakers and they are incredible.

I have no connection with GPoint Audio other than having met Greg at the last Cranage show. The speakers in question were in Lee's system in an average sized lounge.

Lee positions his speakers in the corners and it was thought that the Mummy's just wouldn't work in the corners. They are bass reflex with rear facing ports.
How wrong that thought was...........

Lee played a good mix of music, jazz, rock and heavy rock and the sound was essentially perfect. Absolutely stunning dynamics, scale, a tangibility to whoever the artist was playing.
You know when you sit down in front of a new piece of kit and try to find a weak link to the presentation/sound (Macca's favoured approach), well with the Mummy's there was nothing to fault, absolutely nothing.

The expectation that the bass would boom being in the room corners was just totally unproven, the bottom end was the tautest and cleanest I have heard in a domestic environment, and low, the 12 inch bass driver really plumbing the depths.

Here is how they look, image from the web:

http://www.inner-magazines.com/uploads/images/BLOG/Puola%20horn3.jpg

Lee told me that they sound wonderful at low volume levels as well as really cranked up, showing the synergy with the room was truly amazing.

An unusual look but performance to die for. The are also very efficient so a quality flea power amp is all you need. Lee was using an AN 8W class A.

RRP is around £4000 but it can only be said they are worth it. Definitely on my wish list.

:eek: Alan

Those Dynaudio C4,s would be much more to my liking. They sound superb. The mummy speakers would go straight in the skip!

struth
11-07-2015, 10:54
dunno which is which but love those white ones...probably the mummies lol.. 2001 aso if ever there was

rubber duck
11-07-2015, 14:05

Thanks for this, Alan. I had looked at Greg's website and even the Hifi Pig review but had no idea of even a ballpark figure. £4k is certainly reasonable, especially for something other than a wooden box.

Firebottle
11-07-2015, 16:54
Yes certainly not peanuts money but for something that you just cannot fault sound wise, where do you go instead?
There are some mega money speaker systems on the market but usually they are rather large or don't work properly in a typical domestic environment.

@Jimbo. You might hate the look but you cannot fault the sound, it's not just my opinion, everyone that has heard them at Lee's place agrees :)

AlanB
13-07-2015, 00:42
I also have no connection with GPoint Audio and I too am an 'Alan'. After over 40 years buying hifi I have heard some very good and uber expensive systems.
I have heard quite a few of Lee's systems with various amps, Dacs and speakers not to mention different valves and cables. He's a valve tart like I used to be and maybe I led him astray. :)
I can't say I am a fan of horns but in fairness have only heard them at shows or in a shop.

I certainly wasn't ready for the surprise that the Mummy's gave me. I was at Lee's when the speakers arrived. They were practically new so will obviously ripen after some hours on them. I didn't think they would work in Lee's room that is about the same as my 13' x 10'6" room. I am not enamoured with the futuristic look but the sound that came out was stunning. Clarity, silky treble, wonderful expressive midrange, taut bass, delicacy that was totally unexpected and a soundstage (my pet thing) with superb width and depth. We moved the speakers a little as there really isn't much leeway (no pun intended) in his room. The slight change in toe in reaped rewards.
Lee tells me they sound even better after a week and can't wait to hear how they have improved.
Yep, Mummy is a game changer.

Andrei
13-07-2015, 04:16
An extraordinarily interesting design. I wonder what our Paul (Reffc) would say?

Lee Henley
13-07-2015, 07:46
As I have said in another thread on here the Mummys are fantastic speakers, I had Deggie round off the Wam yesterday for over 3 hours, he was in awe of them, its very difficult to fault them it really is. Ive played music ranging from Black Sabbath / Led Zeppelin to Jazz to Blues to Classical and they seem to be able to play anything. If anyone wants to come and have a listen to them then your more than welcome, just drop me a PM

jandl100
13-07-2015, 09:52
Coo - full praise from a wide range of musical tastes!

I'd love to hear them -- maybe a visit to Chez LeeH would be possible sometime? :)

I've had a very limited listen at a Show to their more expensive siblings in the hORNS line, the Universum, and was very impressed by what I heard in terms of clarity and transparency. Must admit they made me give a sidelong look or two to my beloved MBLs. :eek: -- the only speaker ever to have done that!

http://www.the-ear.net/sites/default/files/styles/sub-index-thumbs/public/show-reports/Horns%20Universum.jpg

mikmas
13-07-2015, 10:21
Not so keen on the coloured version but in white they are ...... far out!!!!

http://gpoint-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/u4.jpg

Lee Henley
13-07-2015, 12:17
Hi Jerry

Your more than welcome at anytime mate

Lee

Coo - full praise from a wide range of musical tastes!

I'd love to hear them -- maybe a visit to Chez LeeH would be possible sometime? :)

I've had a very limited listen at a Show to their more expensive siblings in the hORNS line, the Universum, and was very impressed by what I heard in terms of clarity and transparency. Must admit they made me give a sidelong look or two to my beloved MBLs. :eek: -- the only speaker ever to have done that!

http://www.the-ear.net/sites/default/files/styles/sub-index-thumbs/public/show-reports/Horns%20Universum.jpg

YNWaN
13-07-2015, 13:45
Not so keen on the coloured version but in white they are ...... far out!!!!

http://gpoint-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/u4.jpg

I've also seen and listened to them in all black and was very taken with them.
------
Is this Mummy speaker actually horn loaded though? The mid/bass looks like it's just a direct radiating design and the horn for the tweeter looks* too shallow to really be a horn and is likely more of a dispersion wave guide.

* on second viewing perhaps not.

AlanB
13-07-2015, 22:21
Went back for another dose this evening.
Yes they have loosened up a bit and the bass seems less overblown.....but I am not a bass freak by any stretch of the imagination.
We threw everything at them including huge classical orchestral forces, chamber, leider, operatic, big band jazz, jazz vocal, modern vocal and guitar......well EVERYTHING. They never missed a beat and they are so fatigue free. I sense the top end is slightly rolled off but personally like that. Tried low volume as Lee does tend to pin my ears to the wall and they still sounded wonderful.
Even allowing for the ultra modern look if I could get them past 'Die Frau' I'd give them a try.
How can I when I have just bought a lovely pair of Harbeth P3esr's. Oh this hobby is s-o-o-o frustrating innit. :rolleyes: