PDA

View Full Version : Turntable to compliment my system

Box13
08-07-2015, 14:33
I am now in a position to finalise my system with a turntable.
Would anyone like to advise me what they like and why please?

Haselsh1
08-07-2015, 15:03
I am now in a position to finalise my system with a turntable.
Would anyone like to advise me what they like and why please?

Without knowing your budget I would have to recommend a Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck with their own Space Arm. I owned one back in 1997 and it thrashed a Linn LP12 on many an occasion. It is a superbly engineered deck and arm.

walpurgis
08-07-2015, 15:03
That's a hell of a big question Box, there are so many variables. Price and preferences for a start. What had you in mind?

aniki
08-07-2015, 17:26
If you just want something for occasional use, you could probably find a few likely candidates in the AoS classifieds right now. If you play a lot of vinyl or it is going to be your primary source of playback then it's really a far too personal decision for people to make useful recommendations....

Box13
08-07-2015, 18:55
Budget £1,000

Audio Al
08-07-2015, 19:04
I have a Pro-Ject 10.1 upgraded that I could be persuaded to sell for £1K

PM me if interested

Barry
09-07-2015, 10:07
Budget £1,000

Does that include the arm and cartridge?

Gazjam
09-07-2015, 10:14
THIS:
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?39308-Gryodec-TT-for-sale-with-arm-and-a-cartridge

Complete with arm, cartridge and power supply designed by one of the best in the business.
seriously... a no brainier.

AND...Lots of money left over to buy vinyl. :)

Audio Al
09-07-2015, 10:24

Yes it includes the arm but no cart ( they are personal ) :)

Barry
09-07-2015, 10:27
Yes it includes the arm but no cart ( they are personal ) :)

I meant does Box's budget of £1,000 include the arm and cartridge?

Anthony K
09-07-2015, 20:05
There's a Gent on this forum selling a Townshend Rock , one of the best looking and sounding decks built

walpurgis
09-07-2015, 20:12
Dunno about "best looking". Good TT though.

Gazjam
09-07-2015, 21:11
Mark 7 is a bit special looking...
http://www.mackenziehifi.com/ekmps/shops/mackenziehifi/images/townshend-audios-rock-7-mkii-turntable-merlin-psu-iv-and-excalibur-iv-tonearm-2579-p.jpg

Back to original "what turntable" post though:
THIS!
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?39308-Gryodec-TT-for-sale-with-arm-and-a-cartridge

Anthony K
09-07-2015, 21:27
My own personal opinion , always drooled at the sight of it

Spectral Morn
09-07-2015, 22:25
Mark 7 is a bit special looking...
http://www.mackenziehifi.com/ekmps/shops/mackenziehifi/images/townshend-audios-rock-7-mkii-turntable-merlin-psu-iv-and-excalibur-iv-tonearm-2579-p.jpg

Back to original "what turntable" post though:
THIS!

The Gryodec is certainly at that price a bargain, especially with a custom C W psu

Regards Neil

Box13
10-07-2015, 07:38

The arm sir.

Box13
10-07-2015, 07:42
Thank you for the recommendations gentlemen, I will let you know what I go for once I have spent the money.

rdpx
10-07-2015, 12:01
You could get a brand new Clearaudio Concept, which always look rather nice I think.

Box13
11-07-2015, 09:24
I've gone for the delivery of quieter lows and crashing highs with real vigour. Factor-in the RP6’s excellent build quality and easy set-up and it’s hard to avoid the conclusion that it’s a superb proposition. Just as one reviewer said. The RP6 is one of the most expressive and enthusiastic you can buy at the money. The Ortofon is a great pairing for it, but when the Blue gets a little strident I switch to the Red which ironically I think I prefer. Another selling point for me was the piano red finish, it really makes a statement.
To my ears it drew more detail from the record than the Concept and project turntables and it really rocks. Although trying classical on it I was pleasantly surprised that it does a brilliant job of that too.
Next purchase will be the Little Bear headphone valve amp.

Gordon Steadman
11-07-2015, 09:45
This Box13 bloke is a bit of a Ladd!!

Would 1947 when the radio series came out have anything to do with your birth year? If so...snap.

walpurgis
11-07-2015, 11:31
Blimey. Two old codgers! :)

Gordon Steadman
11-07-2015, 13:55

Ok kid, a bit of respect for your elders (even if it is only a year or so)

Marco
11-07-2015, 14:39
I wonder how many official OAPs we have on AoS...?

If there were enough I was thinking of setting up a wee club, where you could reminisce about the 1950s, discuss various ailments (including incontinence and erectile disfunction), swap cloth caps, listen to Max Bygraves records, and whatever else old people do, and where you'd have to show your free bus pass to get in! :wheniwasaboy:

Any takers? :D

Marco.

struth
11-07-2015, 14:44
Saucy young bark

Gordon Steadman
11-07-2015, 15:28

If there were enough I was thinking of setting up a wee club, where you could reminisce about the 1950s, discuss various ailments (including incontinence and erectile disfunction), swap cloth caps, listen to Max Bygraves records, and whatever else old people do, and where you'd have to show your free bus pass to get in! :wheniwasaboy:

Marco.

Hmmm...I could have added 'betters' as well. That's the problem these days, there is just no ....:respect:

The problem with this forum is that so many of you are hardly out of nappies....:dummy:

Box13
11-07-2015, 15:46

Actually the rega is quite a new design and the cartridge while thoroughly tested elsewhere could not exactly be called an old codger!

Box13
11-07-2015, 15:48

Marco.

I'm afraid you've totally lost me here, what exactly is old about the rega?

Box13
11-07-2015, 15:49
Has anyone anything to offer regarding this unit?
Had one, loved it?
Had one, hated it?

Gordon Steadman
11-07-2015, 15:52
Either someone isn't reading all the posts or I'm on an ignore list already:eyebrows:

walpurgis
11-07-2015, 16:09
Actually the rega is quite a new design and the cartridge while thoroughly tested elsewhere could not exactly be called an old codger!

:scratch:

Marco
11-07-2015, 18:54
I'm afraid you've totally lost me here, what exactly is old about the rega?

Lol... it's the members, not the turntable, who are the old codgers! ;)

Marco.

Box13
11-07-2015, 19:54
Lol... it's the members, not the turntable, who are old codgers! ;)

Marco.

Who is Lol?

walpurgis
11-07-2015, 20:02
Who is Lol?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LOL

Box13
11-07-2015, 20:10
http://i.imgur.com/JNH5CL6.jpg

I would seriously put this beauty up against any turntable at any price.
I'm in love!!

walpurgis
11-07-2015, 20:15
I have a suspicion others may differ Box. :)

Box13
11-07-2015, 20:22
I have a suspicion others may differ Box. :)

As is their right in the spirit of the forum.
I am now happy that I have the best source for my style of music.
My next step must be a better amplifier, good as the Teac might be, I suspect the RP6 could easily feed a £1000 amplifier.
So, a new amplifier and then I can take the Teac setup into the study.
Any recommendations?

rdpx
12-07-2015, 00:02
I've gone for the delivery of quieter lows and crashing highs with real vigour. Factor-in the RP6’s excellent build quality and easy set-up and it’s hard to avoid the conclusion that it’s a superb proposition. Just as one reviewer said. The RP6 is one of the most expressive and enthusiastic you can buy at the money. The Ortofon is a great pairing for it, but when the Blue gets a little strident I switch to the Red which ironically I think I prefer. Another selling point for me was the piano red finish, it really makes a statement.
To my ears it drew more detail from the record than the Concept and project turntables and it really rocks. Although trying classical on it I was pleasantly surprised that it does a brilliant job of that too.
Next purchase will be the Little Bear headphone valve amp.

As is their right in the spirit of the forum.
I am now happy that I have the best source for my style of music.
My next step must be a better amplifier, good as the Teac might be, I suspect the RP6 could easily feed a £1000 amplifier.
So, a new amplifier and then I can take the Teac setup into the study.
Any recommendations?

BOX 13, I think you are having a laugh.

Three days ago you were asking for £1000 TT advice, and after completely ignoring everyone's suggestions you have supposedly just gone for this Rega, and back this up with reasoning straight out of the hi-fi PR dictionary...

You are a REGA dealer and I claim my free anti-static brush.

I could be wrong of course, but you seem to be remarkably familiar with this TT considering you apparently only bought it about 45 minutes ago. I'm betting you "end up" with an Elicit-R.

"Who's Lol?" - nice.

:lol:

Gordon Steadman
12-07-2015, 04:16
BOX 13, I think you are having a laugh.

Three days ago you were asking for £1000 TT advice, and after completely ignoring everyone's suggestions you have supposedly just gone for this Rega, and back this up with reasoning straight out of the hi-fi PR dictionary...

You are a REGA dealer and I claim my free anti-static brush.

I could be wrong of course, but you seem to be remarkably familiar with this TT considering you apparently only bought it about 45 minutes ago. I'm betting you "end up" with an Elicit-R.

"Who's Lol?" - nice.

:lol:

:popcorn:

Oldpinkman
12-07-2015, 06:25
Pity - I hadn't realised that you were considering new. Colins gyrodek was the stand-out obvious choice used.

I would have suggested you audition the funk flamenca - I think Doug Brady is close to you. Arthur K is a good friend of mine, and got me to blind compare the flamenca and rp6. I didn't share your conclusion. The thread bearing arm on the flamenca comfortably outperformed the rp6 particularly in the bass.

Here's another review for your collection

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/article/the-funk-firm-flamenca--pound;850/20611