PDA

View Full Version : freefallrob's rough budget system pictures.

freefallrob
16-09-2009, 14:19
Hi here's some quick shots of my current 'just enough' system!

DSJR
16-09-2009, 16:28
OK, I don't know the Electra sound in your system, but may I please respectfully suggest you try isolating the deck better? If the feet are in the Rega positions (one foot centre back), see if you can use a Rega Wall Shelf, which didn't used to be that expensive. Once sited as such, the bass end should markedly improve (If the transformation of Rega's own decks is anything to go by) and with it, the "hear-through" quality. You may also do a good fix on the "inquisitive finger" problem as well, by lifting the deck up a bit further.....

Alex_UK
16-09-2009, 19:14
OK, I don't know the Electra sound in your system, but may I please respectfully suggest you try isolating the deck better?

As an alternative, cut the fireplace hearth into thirds, and stick a bit under each component - the Missus won't mind, I'm sure! Dave is probably right though (he told me as much, too, so don't take it personally) but I guess it is a case of adapting to your own situation - the fact that you have proper hi-fi instead of an ipod and speakers these days puts you in probably the top 1% of music listeners.

freefallrob
17-09-2009, 08:50
OK, I don't know the Electra sound in your system, but may I please respectfully suggest you try isolating the deck better? If the feet are in the Rega positions (one foot centre back), see if you can use a Rega Wall Shelf, which didn't used to be that expensive. Once sited as such, the bass end should markedly improve (If the transformation of Rega's own decks is anything to go by) and with it, the "hear-through" quality. You may also do a good fix on the "inquisitive finger" problem as well, by lifting the deck up a bit further.....

Hi, yep your right it could do with better isolation and the wall shelf is in the piggy bank at the moment. The current situation isn't at all ideal, but at the volumes I listen ( semi - detached behind the speakers ) it's not bad, we have a concrete floor and the five shelf 'rack' is quite rigid and heavily loaded with books near the base mainly, so not much gets through to the deck that I can 'feel'. The turntable is roughly at shoulder level at the moment.

Cheers for the input.

Rob.

freefallrob
17-09-2009, 08:55
As an alternative, cut the fireplace hearth into thirds, and stick a bit under each component - the Missus won't mind, I'm sure! Dave is probably right though (he told me as much, too, so don't take it personally) but I guess it is a case of adapting to your own situation - the fact that you have proper hi-fi instead of an ipod and speakers these days puts you in probably the top 1% of music listeners.

Hehehe, yes the fire place wouldn't be my first choice if I were buying, my wife bought it before I moved in, so yep, i'd cut it up (!), but the Rega type decks don't tend to like the mass type approach, preferring light/rigid in my experience, so for now the fireplace will have to stay glued to the wall:doh:.

:cool:

Alex_UK
17-09-2009, 17:41
Just to clarify, I wasn't being rude about the fireplace, just a joke looking at "diverting resources" - didn't know that about those decks though, so learned something in the process ;)

freefallrob
18-09-2009, 09:14
Just to clarify, I wasn't being rude about the fireplace, just a joke looking at "diverting resources" - didn't know that about those decks though, so learned something in the process ;)

No offence taken, don't worry:). It is very green though isn't it?!

Alex_UK
18-09-2009, 09:55
Well, now you mention it, I did think "Lord Percy has fashioned Rob a fireplace from finest green" Hopefully you will have a clue what I am talking about... if not...

bzG-AvlKBAA

freefallrob
18-09-2009, 10:19
Oh yes, clip not required;). Probably my favourite Blackadder series that one!

walriley
18-09-2009, 17:39
Where can you buy green from? Want four pieces to put under the feet of the CD player!

Alex_UK
18-09-2009, 18:46
ha! yes, maybe if Percy had been inventing "ye olde green isolation feet dollops" he would have been onto a winner! :DStranger things have been touted as tweaks!

DSJR
18-09-2009, 19:24
Why not try some sorbogel gloopy-boots under and round each of the Rega feet - the ones recommended for the Techie should do fine and be ready for the inevitable upgrade (:))

freefallrob
21-09-2009, 09:27
Where can you buy green from?

You can't buy Green, you have to make it your self with pipes and Bunsen burners and test tubes and stuff..... ;)

freefallrob
21-09-2009, 09:37
Update - Re fitted my Goldring 2200 cartridge.

freefallrob
22-09-2009, 16:00
Scrub that last post, Sam won't leave it alone for some reason....arrghh!

freefallrob
23-09-2009, 08:12
Just fitted my old trusty super glued AT110e, haven't had chance to listen yet apart form set up using headphones, sounds fine, but speakers are what I use....it seems young Son isn't attracted......

freefallrob
24-09-2009, 11:26
It seems the AT110e is at home in my system, young Sam isn't interested in it and it sounds good enough to stay in the system, very musical...

freefallrob
20-10-2009, 16:00
System update!

Just fitted an Ortofon OM30 I found (yes really, i'd forgotton about it!).

Sounds terrific! Very happy with the upgrade for no money!

Loads more detail, can't believe it really.....doh!

You can see Sam in the background.......he's had a look.....ok so far.......

Alex_UK
20-10-2009, 20:02
As the Daddy of my avatar, (who has now started walking properly), I can't tell you how nervous your posts make me Rob! Well done on the find, though!

freefallrob
21-10-2009, 08:29
And she looks like butter wouldn't melt, bless her!

We have another (girl) on the way due early Dec, so that should add to the fun:doh:.

DSJR
21-10-2009, 08:40
:)

The OM30 is really good.

What you could do, is buy one of the better elliptical "DJ" styli (Nightclub E?) and use that one for the time being. It won't ruin your records if set up right and when the kids are in bed and you want to play some records, you could fit the OM30 stylus, reset the tracking weight and enjoy the more subtle tones at lower volumes.....

freefallrob
21-10-2009, 11:34
Hmmm......excellent idea! Thanks.

DSJR
21-10-2009, 16:01
I read somewhere from a post by a BBC high-up engineer that they changed from Shure SC35C's to Ortofon OM Pro's for good reason, apparently to do with tip mass and record wear IIRC..... As I understand the bodies are all but identical and you have the OM30 already.......

Marco
21-10-2009, 17:56
Hi Dave,

Are you referring to the cartridges that the BBC used for broadcasting in radio stations?

If so, I didn't know that they used Ortofon OM Pros.

Marco.

DSJR
21-10-2009, 21:05
In the early 70's, they had Gates turntables in the Broadcasting House studios with the huge Gray fluid damped ball-n-cup (?) pivot arms with Goldring G800's to start with IIRC. There were also a zillion 301's, I think with SME's (but could be wrong) bugt canot remember the cartridges. I believe there were some EMT's for transcription as well.

Later, there were SP10's with the Beeb's own arms and SC35C's, which, I understand, gave way to OM Pro's. I *think* every music track is now downloaded from their central digital library and very few records are played I think.

All the above came from a now ex BBC design engineer (consoles etc. before the Beeb closed the department down), so I hope the info is fairly accurate..

Alex_UK
21-10-2009, 21:49
Have any of you been tempted by this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150380225560&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Sorry Rob for the hijack - but I doubt Sam would be able to reach it?!

freefallrob
05-01-2010, 12:55
DIY Earth wire added to RB250, glass platter, 2M Blue fitted, DIY modded counter weight, 'stiff' OPUS felt mat added.

Stands now hefty B & W type and speakers now Rogers LS1's.

freefallrob
25-01-2010, 12:56
Just added a motor spindle/bearing support thing to the turntable, cheap and easy, opened things up a little more, super.

freefallrob
20-04-2011, 21:54
http://theartofsound.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=84&pictureid=484

http://theartofsound.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=84&pictureid=485

http://theartofsound.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=84&pictureid=486

;)

Zoidburg
21-04-2011, 12:54
Whats brought about this change then Rob, I thought the NAD TT looked v nice myself.

freefallrob
21-04-2011, 15:02
Hi there, I liked the NAD alot, still do, it did some things really well, it's in the loft minus it's arm at present. Unfortunately it's not as speed stable as the Numark and just hasn't got the dynamics and life of the Direct Drive.

This system only cost me roughly £400 pounds and it really makes music, the DD's timing with the punch of the HOMC cart, control of the Rega arm, with the simple musical Creek driving simple infinite baffle JPW's draws you in.....:)

Reid Malenfant
21-04-2011, 15:08
Hi Rob, from what Alex_uk has mentioned on another thread around here i must have seen & heard your setup at Scalford :) Remind me what equipment you used there other than the Numark TT as i must have taken pictures ;) Everywhere i went the flash was a flashing :eyebrows:

freefallrob
21-04-2011, 15:22
Hi, we used B & W 705's speakers, NAD C326BEE amplifier, EAR834P phonostage, CA640P phonostage, SL1210MK2/RB300/Eroica.......

Reid Malenfant
21-04-2011, 15:26
Ah yes, i remember now you mention the speakers ;) Some pretty good sounds you were getting out of them as well i thought considering the size of them :)

freefallrob
21-04-2011, 15:30
Cheers, it was much better sometimes than others, it kind off 'developed' through out the day, the room was very live and echoy, mind you the sound was fairly recording dependent, rubbish stuff really did sound bad, but with the good to brilliant it sang it's heart out:).

If next year happens (fingers crossed) and if I/we do have a room, it'll be a simple little system on show.

Reid Malenfant
21-04-2011, 15:35
I think this must be it :scratch:

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/speakermark/Scalford%202011/Picture043.jpg

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/speakermark/Scalford%202011/Picture044.jpg

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/speakermark/Scalford%202011/Picture045.jpg

Definately looks that way to me at any rate :)

What surprised me was how deep those little speakers dug into the bass end & how clean they were doing it ;)

freefallrob
21-04-2011, 15:38
That's the baby! Nice shots by the way, cheers. I think the sound surprised a few people considering the cost and all that.

We were pleased by the end of the day, learnt some more:).

Reid Malenfant
21-04-2011, 15:42
That's the baby! Nice shots by the way, cheers. I think the sound surprised a few people considering the cost and all that.

We were pleased by the end of the day, learnt some more:).
I thing just about everyone including myself learnt a few things on the day ;)

Glad you like the pics, well it is a gallery thread after all :lolsign:

DSJR
21-04-2011, 17:42
When and if you have any dosh spare, PLEASE try a jelco arm with your deck. Either the cheaper straight one, or the classic 750 while it's still cheap enough to be an absolute "steal" for the money. I still have doubts of using Rega arms with this type of metal arm-plated turntable and so many of the mods to these arms actually make the sonics worse in an attempt to balance a flaw elsewhere....

synsei
01-05-2011, 11:01
I think this must be it :scratch:

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/speakermark/Scalford%202011/Picture043.jpg

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/speakermark/Scalford%202011/Picture044.jpg

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/speakermark/Scalford%202011/Picture045.jpg

Definately looks that way to me at any rate :)

What surprised me was how deep those little speakers dug into the bass end & how clean they were doing it ;)

:lolsign: Rob, we seem to have similar tastes in hifi furniture... :cool:

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/Hifi%20Stuff/160mkII-SMESeriesIII-Goldring900IGC2.jpg

Rare Bird
01-05-2011, 11:08
Is that White top on the TD one of those skins you could buy in different colours?

freefallrob
12-01-2012, 14:53
No picys but belated system update:

Modified Garrard DD75/SME series IIIs tone arm/Goldring 1012GX
Eclipse CD101 cd player.

Canare LV61S interconnects.

Rotel RA-04 amp with Supra Lorad mains.

Supra Rondo 2x2.5 speaker cable

Mission 731 loudspeakers (thank you bandit pilot).

Modded Atacama Nexus stands.

synsei
17-01-2012, 14:44
Is that White top on the TD one of those skins you could buy in different colours?

Sorry Andre I missed this post :eyebrows:

To belatedly answer your question yes, it is a Bob Bean top plate ;)

Modified Garrard DD75/SME series IIIs tone arm/Goldring 1012GX
Eclipse CD101 cd player.

Canare LV61S interconnects.

Rotel RA-04 amp with Supra Lorad mains.

Supra Rondo 2x2.5 speaker cable

Mission 731 loudspeakers (thank you bandit pilot).

Modded Atacama Nexus stands.

I'd love to see some piccies Rob :D

freefallrob
17-01-2012, 14:56
I'd love to see some piccies Rob :D

Will do!

Dingdong
17-01-2012, 15:54
Cheers, it was much better sometimes than others, it kind off 'developed' through out the day, the room was very live and echoy, mind you the sound was fairly recording dependent, rubbish stuff really did sound bad, but with the good to brilliant it sang it's heart out:).

If next year happens (fingers crossed) and if I/we do have a room, it'll be a simple little system on show.

Hello Rob,

Just to go off topic slightly. What was the floor like in that room you had at Scalford last year? Dave and I were planning to use our tt's and we've got a room up on the 2nd floor. Might just use digital if the floor is a bit bouncy.

freefallrob
17-01-2012, 16:01
Hello Rob,

Just to go off topic slightly. What was the floor like in that room you had at Scalford last year? Dave and I were planning to use our tt's and we've got a room up on the 2nd floor. Might just use digital if the floor is a bit bouncy.

Hi there,

We used two Ikea Lack side tables, my Dads modded SL1210mk2 on one and my modded Numark on the other, under my Numark I had an additional light weight platform with sorbothane things.

We didn't have a problem at all with either turntable and the room was full to heaving most of the time, however the suspended
variety (LP12, Heybrook, Ariston, Thorens etc) may fair differently....

I look forward to visiting your room as a punter this year!:)

Rob.

synsei
17-01-2012, 16:12
I was originally intending to bring my TD160 to Scalford but depending on how things go in the next couple of weeks I might be selling it on :eyebrows:

Dingdong
17-01-2012, 16:35
So our room might be a tale of two Teccies this year then Dave. I just happen to have to lack tables (£1.70 each) and my normal Stands Unique thingummy.

Thanks for the info Rob. See you up on the 2nd floor.

vinylspinner
17-01-2012, 18:57
Hi Mark,

I spent a bit of time in that room last year, sounded great plus they were playing a fair bit of jazz, ie: Coltrane etc.

I reckon the DM2s on stands will be perfect in that room.

Nigel

Dingdong
17-01-2012, 19:39
Hi Mark,

I spent a bit of time in that room last year, sounded great plus they were playing a fair bit of jazz, ie: Coltrane etc.

I reckon the DM2s on stands will be perfect in that room.

Nigel

I have Jazz. I also have a little bit of dub:gig:

freefallrob
09-04-2012, 21:31
Update!

I'm currently using this system, very similar to the Scalford Wigwam Show 2012 system but with a few subtle but inportant changes.....I think it's better:).

http://theartofsound.net/forum/album.php?albumid=129

http://theartofsound.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=129&pictureid=837
http://theartofsound.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=129&pictureid=838
http://theartofsound.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=129&pictureid=836
http://theartofsound.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=129&pictureid=842
http://theartofsound.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=129&pictureid=841
http://theartofsound.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=129&pictureid=840

Rob.

freefallrob
10-04-2012, 09:43
Hmmm, I think i'll take some pictures in day light(!), i've just realized how truly awful the above photos are:rolleyes:

Puffin
10-04-2012, 15:14
Looks lovely. The counterweight is going in the post this very afternoon!

freefallrob
10-04-2012, 16:02
Cheers matey, only the CD player, speaker stands, felt mat and cables are actually owned by me, the rest of it I have on long term loan....no way I could afford this anymore!

P.s The house is ours....

jason
12-04-2012, 07:31
Tidy set up Rob...

freefallrob
28-08-2012, 10:48
New speakers, actually paid with my own money for them!

Wharfedale 507.2, great! £25 quid, really pleased with them. Diamond II's shown on top for comparison.

They have a nice 8" mid/bass driver and about a 1" aluminium dome tweeter, they sound open, balanced and easy with good dynamics. Dims roughly 490 high, 255 wide, 295 deep.

Rest of system in signature below.

https://st19pw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pg335QlUTtRyRd0JLazw-zWnYdGCy9QLIpdAeOnXx6tCHB4HTFOZqc_nNwBMLvhksB7R5ba kR4HrmS6LQtLMznwNXE92B9J-O/littleandlarge%201.jpg?psid=1

Alex_UK
28-08-2012, 10:55
Not seeing the pic, Rob - just the "unable to display" image?

synsei
28-08-2012, 10:57
A really lovely little system Rob. I've always had huge respect for the TT2 and yours is an excellent example ;)

freefallrob
28-08-2012, 11:01
Cheers guys, I forgot to make the image 'public' :mental:, you should be able to see it now, hopefully....

Alex_UK
28-08-2012, 11:03
Cheers guys, I forgot to make the image 'public' :mental:, you should be able to see it now, hopefully....

:thumbsup:

Bargain! How do they sound compared to the Diamonds? More bass, I guess, but do they still have the same "magic"? :)

freefallrob
28-08-2012, 11:55
I really like the Diamonds (these are the mkII) and won't sell them, they will just go into storage again, they just sound enjoyable what ever you feed them with, they are flawed, a bit murky, limited treble, they have a bass hump....etc, but it doesn't really matter, they aren't terribly revealing however and you know you are missing stuff....

The 507.2's (rubbish name!) are as you would expect better in every department, in fact I've heard stuff on these I haven't heard on other more modern (more expensive?) well regarded speakers that have passed through here.

I think that bigger 8" mid bass and front baffle really helps connect the speaker to the room so they work really well even at very low volume.
They seem tuneful just like the Diamonds and 'time' well, even with the rear port. They sound clean and fresh and open, the aluminium dome treble catching the decays cleanly and not sounding harsh at all. Vocals are open and clean and spot lit center stage, male vocals avoid 'chestyness', vocal inflections are made clear. Imaging seem good to me, depth is there and width.
Bass is nice, they don't sound 'bassy' (which is good!) but depth is obviously there, picked up the kick drum nicely.

Also ZZ Top sounds great on them, so i'm happy;).

Rob.

Alex_UK
28-08-2012, 12:03
A veritable bargain then at £25! They look quite smart, too! :)

julesd68
28-08-2012, 14:45
I really like the Diamonds (these are the mkII) and won't sell them

OMG I used to have those Diamonds in my first system - how nostalgic!
I ended up using them with Albarry amps to great effect and mine had more than enough bass to annoy the neighbours ...

Reid Malenfant
28-08-2012, 19:06
I remember the Diamond MK1 with some fondness, incredible little boxes :) They look the same as the MK2 except for the vinyl wrap on the front baffle, I'm sure it was a pale cream colour, though I should imagine there were other differences to...

Nice to see a pair again so similar :D

DSJR
28-08-2012, 19:40
Alex, HiFi Dave and I have a tale or two to tell about Diamond IV's and I don't think any of us would say a bad word about them, size accepted...

The 507's had a great review in 'Choice at the time and offered a gentle tonal balance with very low distortion from memory.

freefallrob
29-08-2012, 10:33
The 507's had a great review in 'Choice at the time and offered a gentle tonal balance with very low distortion from memory.

Hi, that's interesting to know, I would love to see a copy of that review, the only one I can find is on Gramophones website.

freefallrob
30-08-2012, 08:48

'Gentle tonal balance' yes i'd agree, like most Wharfedales I've heard, they are pretty laid back by modern standards, certainly more so than say Monitor Audio/Epos/B &W, they appear to be an easy long term listen...

stupinder
02-09-2012, 11:50
I remember the Diamond MK1 with some fondness, incredible little boxes :) They look the same as the MK2 except for the vinyl wrap on the front baffle, I'm sure it was a pale cream colour, though I should imagine there were other differences to...

Nice to see a pair again so similar :D
Likewise! They were my first "proper" speakers on the end of a crimson electric amp, a Musical fidelity "the Preamp" and an LP12.

freefallrob
25-09-2012, 11:10
Current set up as signature below, the Thorens TD280mkiv + AT95e sounds silly good for what it is, and the little MS10i Pearls shouldn't be so much fun really!

The Wharfedale 507.2 are up and my Dads place at the moment being 'assessed', actually they had far to much stuffing in them, it was blocking the port, we were both sat thinking, a big box/driver like this should be making more bass than this. So i've removed half of it, and rearranged it, a previous owned MUST have modded them for corner placement or something?

freefallrob
06-12-2012, 12:55
Currently using a Arcam Alpha 5 plus amp, really like it, also been demoing some oldish JBL L1's, really like them, changed stands to 600mm Atacama, just need to stuff them with something now as they RING!

Looks like i'm moving back to a Technics SL1200mk2 shortly if the deal happens, looking forward to that after a flirtation with belt drives again....:-)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8340/8244238786_075c464930.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8070/8244239258_bca3759b5b.jpg

Firebottle
06-12-2012, 18:21
Love the look of those speaker stands,

Cheers, Alan

freefallrob
07-12-2012, 00:04
Cheers I like them :-).

Technics SL1200mk2 c/w At95e now in service :-)

Gromit
07-12-2012, 23:30
How are you doing with those JBL's Rob? Seen these come up for sale occasionally and as JBL cause some audiophools' noses to turn up, there are sure to be bargains out there.

freefallrob
10-12-2012, 11:13
How are you doing with those JBL's Rob? Seen these come up for sale occasionally and as JBL cause some audiophools' noses to turn up, there are sure to be bargains out there.

They are bloody brilliant to be concise!

My Dad used to have JBL's (big 3 way jobby's) when I was a teenager and first discovered the joys and pitfalls of vinyl, and I've hankered after some ever since...

Like the SL1200 they are not going anywhere!

:)

freefallrob
10-12-2012, 11:14
Ortofon 2M BLUE now in service.

freefallrob
11-12-2012, 09:29
Current Amplifer:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8081/8262864878_0e51f67f77.jpg

SL1200mk2....

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8058/8262766630_f26bb532d6.jpg

freefallrob
13-12-2012, 15:16
Just bought some new external tonearm wire and plugs.......upgraditus begins!

DiveDeepDog
13-12-2012, 22:54
I changed my friends to Van Damme mic cable, great upgrade for a tenner :)

freefallrob
13-12-2012, 23:02
Hi Mark, nice to hear from you:).

Yep that's the stuff, Van Damme, twin conductors with a shield and some Neutrik plugs.

Hopefully get chance at the weekend.

freefallrob
02-01-2013, 11:49
Still not gotten around to the external rewire of the Technics, but I have filled my speaker stands with cat litter (in bags), as they rang like a bell before!

Result, they don't ring anymore....

webby
02-01-2013, 13:55
I have those same stands beneath my dyn's. £11 from cash converters pre filled with bags of sand! :)

freefallrob
02-01-2013, 14:12
I have those same stands beneath my dyn's. £11 from cash converters pre filled with bags of sand! :)

Bargain, but I bet they weighed a bloody ton!

webby
02-01-2013, 15:24
Bargain, but I bet they weighed a bloody ton!

Not a problem at that price!

freefallrob
11-01-2013, 15:57
Change of head shell to an old magnesium Audio Technica MG-6, AT95e back in service, Litz headshell leads on the way....

Haven't done the RCA upgrade yet, chickened out last night!

freefallrob
15-01-2013, 10:21
Litz head shell leads fitted, VERY GOOD!

Ortofon Vigor HOMC fitted also, needed to add 2 fishing weights to the headshell to balance, but it sounds excellent with the standard rubber mat.