PDA

View Full Version : Which cart did you find the most fussy about set up but worth it ?

RobbieGong
02-07-2015, 21:37
I've almost give up with mine at times, weeks and weeks of trying and then - bingo !!!! :D Very curious to know other experiences.

walpurgis
02-07-2015, 21:42
The 'Classic' ADCs can be tricky. If you don't get them just so, you get mistracking, sibilance and accentuated surface noise. Get it right and they reward like a good MC.

Tried my ADC 26 again the other day. What a sound!!

Barry
02-07-2015, 23:53
Without a doubt it has to be any of the Decca Mk. V or Mk. VI cartridges. Owing to atrocious workmanship and huge sample-to-sample variability, these cartridges require the most enormous care in setting up: VTF, VTA, azimuth, choice of arm, damping, attention to earthing and even loading.

Get it right and it could be argued they are probably the best cartridge around, get it wrong and you will either have holes drilled in your ears, or you will suffer listener fatigue from being stretched between 'edge of your seat’ excitement and the worry that the whole system will 'fall over'.

walpurgis
03-07-2015, 09:09
Yeah. Agree with Barry there. Deccas are tricky too.

Clive197
03-07-2015, 09:23
I found a 2M Black tricky to set up. The complete opposite to my Cadenza Black, which was a doddle.

Bazil
03-07-2015, 10:23
I've almost give up with mine at times, weeks and weeks of trying and then - bingo !!!! :D Very curious to know other experiences.

What cart. is it Robert ?

RobbieGong
03-07-2015, 11:57
What cart. is it Robert ?

The 2M Black - Just fabulous when you've got everything spot on but I find it to be an absolute PITA to set up and get right

Wakefield Turntables
03-07-2015, 12:43
My Cadenza Black. BUT, i did spend an a hell 'ova time get the SME V alignmnet bang on.

aniki
03-07-2015, 15:18
My Cadenza Black. BUT, i did spend an a hell 'ova time get the SME V alignmnet bang on.
Did you use some kind of modified HTA key? Or just manual adjustment?
I've got mine bang on right now but I did think about getting the HTA key cut and welded to make future adjustments a bit simpler if I ever change carts...

RobbieGong
03-07-2015, 16:45
Has anyone found a way, an aid or something in the cart set up process that they find really helps ? If so please share. Another thing I think might be worth knowing is of carts that sound great and are also easy to set up :scratch: on that note I think that might be useful and an idea for another thread ;)

Tarzan
03-07-2015, 18:17
I found a 2M Black tricky to set up. The complete opposite to my Cadenza Black, which was a doddle.

The Cadenza Black l thought not so much a PITA to set up but running in and supporting equipment around it...... but worth it.:eek:

Wakefield Turntables
03-07-2015, 18:58
Did you use some kind of modified HTA key? Or just manual adjustment?
I've got mine bang on right now but I did think about getting the HTA key cut and welded to make future adjustments a bit simpler if I ever change carts...

Standard HTA key, altough I did think about leaving it in place at one point. I think I spent about two solid weeks and countless hours pissing around, sometime just moving the arm a mm listening to the differences, then another mm etc. Needless to say I have not touched the arm or cart in nearly 18 months. :)

Has anyone found a way, an aid or something in the cart set up process that they find really helps ? If so please share. Another thing I think might be worth knowing is of carts that sound great and are also easy to set up :scratch: on that note I think that might be useful and an idea for another thread ;)

Dr. Feckhearts works really well.

The Cadenza Black l thought not so much a PITA to set up but running in and supporting equipment around it...... but worth it.:eek:

Yep I remember the bloody thread, you really needed some convincing to keep the cart. :)

Idlewithnodrive
03-07-2015, 20:30
Definitely, without doubt, the 2M Black.

A total ball ache until 100% (99.9% won't cut it) set up and then and only then, utterly magical. Never again.

carruthersesq
09-07-2015, 16:46
Mine was an AT150mlx, took quite few attempts but once sorted it was superb.

Wakefield Turntables
09-07-2015, 18:30
I think this thread tells us that Ortofons are a PITA to setup.

Clive
09-07-2015, 19:37
I think this thread tells us that Ortofons are a PITA to setup.
It's more to do with stylus profile.

walpurgis
09-07-2015, 19:46
It more to do with stylus profile.

I agree. Styli with extended contact lines need careful setup.

Idlewithnodrive
09-07-2015, 20:51
It more to do with stylus profile.

This is true.

Idlewithnodrive
09-07-2015, 20:51
I agree. Styli with extended contact lines need careful setup.

As is this.