PDA

View Full Version : Improving / fettling the FiiO D3 DAC

Barry
01-07-2015, 12:39
At only £30, it might seem that there is little one can do to improve the mediocre performance of the FiiO D3 DAC. The following link shows there are some improvements to be made for very little outlay.

Not surprisingly, upgrading the input capacitor and replacing the SMPS with a regulated linear power supply works wonders!

https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2011/06/23/inside-fiio-d3/

DSJR
01-07-2015, 13:17
Is the performance inferior at all? I had one of the little Fiio's (not this one) and it did the basics really well. I know we like to 'suspend disbelief' as much as possible as domestic listeners, but if we're not careful, we can stand a chance of over-egging the pudding, as happened with some of the now awful 1980's CD players that were doctored to sound more 'analogue' - bloated soggy bass, squidgy mids and soft treble in the worst examples (step forward Meridian 600 series and those top loading Micromega thingies ;))

Barry
01-07-2015, 13:29
I used the term 'mediocre' deliberately. In comparison with the built-in DAC of my Sony CD players (CDP 930XB and an CDP 720XB) and in comparison with either the Beresford or Arcam external DACs (sorry - I don't remember their model numbers), the FiiO D3 was definitely lacking: giving a flat, 'grey' and uninvolving sound. :(

BUT the FiiO D3 only costs ~£30, so one should not expect too much. Anyway, it seems that for a few bob one can easily improve the performance; which makes for a nice little project and something which I will have a go at myself. :)

DSJR
01-07-2015, 13:39
:) Good luck with it and sincere thanks for clarifying your statements.

I shouldn't say anything really, as I have 'tuned up' my QED Digit Opto and Positron. As supplied, the sound was warm and 'bitsream' soft, but adding the second supply for the audio output chip (many thanks to Stan for his generosity) made a heck of a difference in a positive way. A couple of cap changes inside (as per DIY Audio threads I think) didn't do anything like as much, although replacing the audio output caps with some Nichicon FG's did seem to open things up a little further (I like FG's). Half way through the mods, I took it to hifi dave's place and a Rega DAC trounced it I remember, but sorting out a mistake I made on the output caps have appeared to sort it.

Beware - QED Digits with Positrons are now asking stupid money on fleabay - £120 my a*se :( The Positron will need re-capping if left on (mine had a physically leaking supply cap and bulging others) and the twin-supply mod is definitely needed for the thing to sound competitive at all IMO.

mikmas
01-07-2015, 20:23
As a Fiio 3 owner I find the term 'mediocre' a poor choice and certainly not applicable - but hey, anything that cheap can't be much cop right?

I bought one after my disappointment with a (much lauded) Beresford model which now serves as a headphone amp for when I'm watching the TV news.

Someday I may decide to waste a few hundred quid on a box with a name to impress ... but quite honestly I'm in no rush.

Barry
01-07-2015, 23:15
As a Fiio 3 owner I find the term 'mediocre' a poor choice and certainly not applicable - but hey, anything that cheap can't be much cop right?

I bought one after my disappointment with a (much lauded) Beresford model which now serves as a headphone amp for when I'm watching the TV news.

Someday I may decide to waste a few hundred quid on a box with a name to impress ... but quite honestly I'm in no rush.

Hi Mike,

I can only speak as I find. The performance of the FiiO D3 was mediocre in comparison with the internal DAC of my player, and with a couple of external DACs (the Beresford being one of them). As it stood the sound was 'grey', flat and uninvolving.

I have heard a D5 and it is considerably better than the D3. However as I have said above, and the reason for my starting this thread, it would seem that the D3 can be improved quite easily and very cheaply. This then would make the D3 extraordinarily good value for money.

Regards
Barry

mikmas
02-07-2015, 09:19
I think there may be a distinction needed here Barry - there are (at least) two versions of the Fiio D3. The original, which had a Wolfson chip and garnered much praise, and a later iteration that has a Cirrus chip and has attracted much criticism.

I have a 'first generation' but the tweaking article refers to the operation of the latter (with the Cirrus chip)

Barry
02-07-2015, 10:20
I think there may be a distinction needed here Barry - there are (at least) two versions of the Fiio D3. The original, which had a Wolfson chip and garnered much praise, and a later iteration that has a Cirrus chip and has attracted much criticism.

I have a 'first generation' but the tweaking article refers to the operation of the latter (with the Cirrus chip)

Thanks for the clarification Mike.

I don't know which version of the D3 I have - will check and report back. Suspect it is the later one with the Cirrus chip, as the Wolfson chip set is usually well regarded.

Regards
Barry