PDA

View Full Version : Mark Knopfler - Get Lucky.

DaveK
15-09-2009, 08:39
Good Morning Guys,
Anybody else hear on Breakfast Time this morning an extract from the title track of Mark Knopfler's above refererenced new CD? It was not the normal sort of music/performer that I would choose to listen to but I thought the bit that I heard was brilliant and beautiful. I'm determined to hear more and, if the rest is anything like as good, I shall be investing :) .
Anybody else formed any opinion?
Cheers,

Alex_UK
15-09-2009, 14:54
Dave - the album is available on Spotify if you want to check it out there for free first - I'll have a listen too, I've never really heard his solo stuff but loved Dire Straits back in the day...

DaveK
15-09-2009, 17:41
Thanks Alex, I'll take a listen tonight - hope you like it too.
Cheers,

DanJennings
16-09-2009, 08:55
I really like the album 'Sailing To Philadelphia',I recommend that, but I've not heard the new one, will have to check it out

Alex_UK
16-09-2009, 09:18
Enjoying it now, as I type - definitely one I will come back to again, nice mix of styles and lyrics, the "highlight" for me is Remembrance Day - a very beautiful tune, and sobering lyrically (it is about what you would expect from the title) - I read on Amazon that this track will be a single with all the profits going to the British Legion - would be great if it is, though I can't substantiate it on either his or the British Legion website.

The opening track has some great flute - I was thinking the other day about how lovely the flute sounds (can't remember what album it was, probably Camel or something similar.) Maybe we need a thread "best track with flute in it!"?

Anyway thanks for posting Dave, I will now check out some of his earlier solo albums.

Marco
16-09-2009, 09:37
I've not heard it yet, but it's getting good reviews in the music mags. I might buy it myself, as you can also get it on heavyweight vinyl. I suspect that Diverse will have it in their stall at the forthcoming hi-fi show :)

Dave, if you like his latest album, you should also check out the last one 'Kill to Get Crimson", which I suspect is quite similar to his latest release.

The good thing about his stuff too is that it's always immaculately recorded :smoking:

Marco.

anthonyTD
16-09-2009, 10:05
hi all,
another unusual album from mr knopfler is the "RAG PICKERS DREAM" it too has some real thought provoking songs and lyrics, check it out!:)
regards,anthony,TD...

DaveK
16-09-2009, 10:35
Hi Guys,
I suspect that I'm going to confuse one or two of you now, 'cos I'm a bit confused on more than one front. Thanks to Alex I listened to the whole CD last night on Spotify and wasn't nearly as impressed as I had been earlier by the exert played on morning TV and I don't know why - strange innit? Maybe it was the relative sameness of it all but that has never worried me before with something I liked, for instance Leonard Cohen's Live in London.
Further confusion, I loved the sound that came out of the speakers, the lovely guitar chords(?), the way they decayed etc., absolutely beautiful, but no desire to listen again, that's what confuses me :confused: :confused: :scratch: .
Maybe it's as Marco says:
The good thing about his stuff too is that it's always immaculately recorded.
Maybe that's it, maybe it was just beautiful sounds but not exactly what I expected - I'm still bloody confused!!
I share the sentiments of Alex - 'Remeberance Day' has great evocative lyrics and it would be great if the profits were donated to the British Legion. I'd actually buy the CD, despite my reservations, if some of the profits went that way also.
If the are any psychologists out there that can explain my confusion I'd love to hear from you :) .
Cheers,

Jason P
16-09-2009, 10:57
Hmm, I kinda know where you're coming from Dave - I've got some MK stuff (Sailing to Philadelphia, Ragpicker's Dream and All The Road Running) and some of it is a bit vanilla!

'Sailing' is one of my faves, and I think it's the first he did in that style, with some of his subsequent material being not as strong, but in the same vein. I listened to 'Get Lucky' last night and whilst it was pleasant, and one or two tracks were very good, there was nothing particularly outstanding for me. But I'd happily listen again...

Try 'Sailing' and see if it's any different for you. I'd be interested to see.

For me, MK is on the borderline of those artistes who fall into the 'one is enough' camp. I may like them, enjoy listening to them, but one album is enough and I feel on listening to their subsequent (or prior) releases I have no desire to explore further, as their output is too similar. Coldplay are a bit like that for me, as are people like Jack Johnston and others of his ilk. But artistes like Mike Scott (Waterboys) and Jackie Leven I'll buy almost everything because to my ears it's constantly changing and challenging. Others, I guess, will have the opposite view. It's an interesting topic, though, IMHO.

Jason

freefallrob
16-09-2009, 11:58
Hi, I own most of Direstraits back catalogue on LP and like most of it alot (Dad Rock !), but I also own 'Kill To Get Crimson' and Shangri-La' solo albums on LP and they are both GREAT. I haven't heard his new one yet, must check it out but if his previous output is anything to go by then i'm sure it'll be decent.

REM
16-09-2009, 12:40
I tend to echo Jason P's thoughts on Mr Knofler but would add that the Local Hero soundtrack should be in everyones collection. A stunning piece of work on every level, essential listening IMO,:)

Cheers

Covenant
16-09-2009, 14:26
I tend to echo Jason P's thoughts on Mr Knofler but would add that the Local Hero soundtrack should be in everyones collection. A stunning piece of work on every level, essential listening IMO,:)

Cheers

And a brilliant film!
I enjoyed the album Dave-it was a good recommendation. Keep 'em coming.

NickB
16-09-2009, 15:40
Hi

Just my tuppence worth I think this is his best solo work but cannot for the life of me understand why it is the only one of his solo or DS albums not available on vinyl.

Go figure. :confused:

Nick

Soundhaspriority
11-10-2009, 23:59
Good Morning Guys,
Anybody else hear on Breakfast Time this morning an extract from the title track of Mark Knopfler's above refererenced new CD? It was not the normal sort of music/performer that I would choose to listen to but I thought the bit that I heard was brilliant and beautiful. I'm determined to hear more and, if the rest is anything like as good, I shall be investing :) .
Anybody else formed any opinion?
Cheers,

I think I have all of Straits and Knopfler's albums, except Get Lucky, which must have just come out, as I never heard of it. But if its anything like Kill Crimson, and I expect as much, it'll probably be boring to me. Sailing to Philadelphia also did nothing for me; don't think I even heard it all through it was so dull and uninspiring. Knopfler's best album, for those who don't know his solo work, has to be his first: Golden Heart. HDCD recording too. But of his more recent work, the better ones are Shangri-La (or One Take Radio Sessions, a kind of reversion of that), and Ragpicker's Dream has a lot of good tunes on it. Not a fan of Emmylou Harris either, so I keep going back to those last two, for my Knopfler fix. You can check 'em out on Amazon.

Haselsh1
12-10-2009, 08:27
I bought 'Kill to get Crimson' on vinyl and have 'Shang-ri-la' on SACD and have to say, I think this is some of his best ever work. I was always a fan of the first two Dire Straits albums back in the seventies as they did not use keyboards and overproduction. Nice music...!

Marco
12-10-2009, 08:38
I bought 'Get Lucky' a couple of weeks ago and like it for what it is.

However, I could quite understand people finding it "boring", as it is rather simple acoustic-type material, but the tunes are good and as usual with Knopfler's work, it's immaculately recorded... One to let wash over you when sitting back and relaxing reading a book, or whatever :cool:

Marco.

electric beach
12-10-2009, 08:57
Just saw the card payment come through for my purchase of Get Lucky and felt an involuntary regret, so my advice would be to try another - I didn't want to play it again either! I'm always prepared for songs to be 'a grower' and I actually prefer the least commercial tracks on any work. Favourite to date is also Philadelphia, which is strong on sound quality, performance and song writing and I've been trying to find another solo album to get more of the same but have been a little disappointed with the weaker songs on Ragpickers, although Kill to get Crimson was better and as Marco suggests is a better take on the same idea (will definately try Shangri-La, thanx).

Dave, if you're going to put Leonard Cohen's Live in London up for comparison then you won't like any MK albums. That's one piece of work in a class of it's own - absolutely awesome!