PDA

View Full Version : Anthem MCA 20

Haselsh1
22-06-2015, 18:12
Has anyone got any feedback on this power amp...? I've looked on the web and there is very little. Any information would be very welcome.

Frazeur1
22-06-2015, 22:16
Shaun, I owned one for several years in a system that did double duty, my video setup and also 2-channel music. My preamp at the time was an Anthem TLP-1 and later an AVM-30 prepro, and speakers were modified Magnepan MMG's with a pair of REL T-3 subs.

The MCA drove the Maggie's very well, and I think it is a very good, basic amplifier. While it may not have the ultimate current driving capability of other amps, I felt it was a good sounding unit, well made and simple. Never an issue with it I. The 4-5 years I had it. One of my friends still owns it and has been going strong in his heavily used music system for another few years.

I have to say I liked most of the Anthem gear that I have owned, which also included a PVA-2 amp as well. Most was constructed in Canada, which I am not sure if that is the case now, but good build quality and sound to boot. For what it is worth...Tim

Haselsh1
23-06-2015, 16:41
Serious thanks for taking the time to comment. I think I shall stick with my original plan and stick with British monoblocks as they appear to be ultimately more enthralling. I just thought a Canadian muscle amp just might be better for dance/techno music.

Frazeur1
23-06-2015, 21:38
While I do not specifically know your Rotel amps, I certainly would think long and hard just to go with the Canadian amp. While the Anthem is quite good and robust for the most part, I think overall the drive capability of your Rotel would be a bit better possibly. Most Rotels are noted for fairly high current capability, and this is where the Anthem is just good/average. Of course how much this matters depends a lot on the rest of your setup and room size, how loud you play etc. I always say if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it! Tim