PDA

View Full Version : New Caiman mk2 chip on way!

icehockeyboy
20-06-2015, 10:37
As it says in the title, I have a new StanDac chip on the way and I can't wait!

If it brings the kind of improvement that everything else I've had from Stan previously, it will be astounding!

Did I mention I can't wait??? 😄😄😄😄😄😄

Lee
20-06-2015, 18:07
Stan kindly sent the chip with updated firmware to me a few days ago. So clear, musical, pure, emotional and present in the room! Very addictive sound. I don't know how Stan does it. Just when you think it can't get any better, he makes it so! Anyone with the Caiman mk2 should be thirsting for the new firmware. Anyone without the Caiman mk2 should buy one without hesitation, ASAP. I have two!

sq225917
20-06-2015, 20:45
What's the new bit, usb chip?

NRG
20-06-2015, 21:02
The new Holly Grail by the sound of it....

StanleyB
21-06-2015, 08:19
As I mentioned in the Bushmaster II firmware thread, the latest upgrade for the Caiman II was done in tandem with that of the Bushmaster II. The Bushmaster II only has one option unfortunately due to the lack of an extra button to give me more selection options.
The Caiman II doesn't have that limitation however, so I have managed to develop a method to switch between various data processing methods, which also works "on the fly". So you can get a near instant result by comparing the old and new firmware code. So no need to swap chips over to check for differences. I shall do a different thread on the actual workings of the new code.

sq225917
21-06-2015, 08:31
Do you mean different digital filters?

StanleyB
21-06-2015, 09:24
Do you mean different digital filters?
There is only one digital filter in my design, and that is built into the DAC chip with no selection option.

wee tee cee
21-06-2015, 10:15
I had a listen to the new firmware last night. Im sporting a head cold that defies any attempt to clear my ears consistently. I had a couple of hours on the cans to start with which proved interesting.

The most noticeable difference on red book flac was the level of separation of both instruments and vocals. I picked up on vocal effects on tracks I know really well that I hadn't been aware of before. Again some elements were stripped bare and revealed poor recordings for what they are.

Spotify premium also highlighted new levels of resolution and subtlety to recording that were not noticeable before. I found myself tweaking the settings on the Capella to dig out even more info.

On cans the level of detail in instrument placement /ability to follow individual instruments/vocals and backing vocals was quite overwhelming. I was restarting tracks over and over again just annoyed at how much I hadn't picked up on before.

Initial impressions are that the new firmware is enabling a wealth of detail and subtlety to be exposed which is very noticeable.Hopefully my cold will clear up and let me get my head round what Im hearing and post my impressions more accurately.

sq225917
21-06-2015, 17:46
I see from the other thread it offers the chance to select from two different clock recovery schemes. Under what circumstances is the XO driven clock that is synced to the DAC chip not the most accurate?

StanleyB
21-06-2015, 19:39
I have absolutely no idea Simon. The results appear to be different when applied to the Caiman and the Bushmaster. On the Caiman the results are audible even on mp3, whilst the Bushmaster is more comfortable with higher quality material. I am not fully clued up technically why I am getting these improvement on clock recovery, when compared to the XTAL. But I suspect that the input receiver is taking fixed data chunks that are not so dependent on the bit or sample rate of the audio data, whilst the clock recovery method is taking data based on the frequency rate of the audio data. It has also crossed my mind that in case of the XTAL the data sampling frequency is fixed by a division of the XTAL frequency, whilst in clock recovery mode the clock can follow the incoming data even if it drifts away from the sample rates standard. But the fact that the clock recovery method is highlighting musical details that I had never previously heard is a head scratcher for me. For that information to be missed or ignored when using an XTAL doesn't quite compute in my mind right now.

Darren
21-06-2015, 20:56
As it says in the title, I have a new StanDac chip on the way and I can't wait!

If it brings the kind of improvement that everything else I've had from Stan previously, it will be astounding!

Did I mention I can't wait??? 😄😄😄😄😄😄
That is exciting. Let us know how you go. Found a nice streamer I would quite like, may get one of these dacs too. Who knows? It's all adventure.

sq225917
22-06-2015, 06:46
Could it be second order effects that are making the difference?

StanleyB
22-06-2015, 08:26
You know what they say: the more you practice the luckier you get.

I have a reasonable level of competence in code writing going back to the 80s when I did development work for Commodore, and tend to have a clear idea of what I am trying to achieve when I start with a piece of code. The idea was to develop a clock circuit to rival or surpass many of those aftermarket clocks that are designed to replace a crystal in a DAC etc. The end result was better than expected, but the project was not a freak of nature. It did involve months of hard work.

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/aos/fw.jpg

mkrzych
22-06-2015, 10:54
I have absolutely no idea Simon. The results appear to be different when applied to the Caiman and the Bushmaster. On the Caiman the results are audible even on mp3, whilst the Bushmaster is more comfortable with higher quality material. I am not fully clued up technically why I am getting these improvement on clock recovery, when compared to the XTAL. But I suspect that the input receiver is taking fixed data chunks that are not so dependent on the bit or sample rate of the audio data, whilst the clock recovery method is taking data based on the frequency rate of the audio data. It has also crossed my mind that in case of the XTAL the data sampling frequency is fixed by a division of the XTAL frequency, whilst in clock recovery mode the clock can follow the incoming data even if it drifts away from the sample rates standard. But the fact that the clock recovery method is highlighting musical details that I had never previously heard is a head scratcher for me. For that information to be missed or ignored when using an XTAL doesn't quite compute in my mind right now.

Yes, this is kind of phenomenon to me as well. How to explain it in more technical ways I don't know either as well, but intrigued me as much as I can read tons of papers ;-)

icehockeyboy
23-06-2015, 17:35
I have no idea what all the technical banter means, all I know is that the chip arrived whilst I was out. So before even sticking the wine in the fridge to chill, I did the quick and oh so simple swap over and plumbed the Caiman 2 back into the system.

My God! How do you do it Stan?

For the price of a few pints it has raised the bar once again!

I can only echo what the others that have already got one of these chips have said...there's just more there!

One thing I have never noticed before is (I assume) the sound of a brush on a cymbal at the end of Duffy's iTunes live version of Warwick Svenue, as well as her vocals being in the room!

I responded as soon as I had played the track, so it's now back to going through songs that I'm familiar with to hear what else there is that I didn't hear before.

Laters!

PS, if you have a Caiman 2, you owe it to yourself to buy one of these 'price of a take away' upgrades.

Did I see Stan mention that they are available for the BM2 as well? If so, you need one as well! :)

mkrzych
24-06-2015, 05:33
I have no idea what all the technical banter means, all I know is that the chip arrived whilst I was out. So before even sticking the wine in the fridge to chill, I did the quick and oh so simple swap over and plumbed the Caiman 2 back into the system.

My God! How do you do it Stan?

For the price of a few pints it has raised the bar once again!

I can only echo what the others that have already got one of these chips have said...there's just more there!

One thing I have never noticed before is (I assume) the sound of a brush on a cymbal at the end of Duffy's iTunes live version of Warwick Svenue, as well as her vocals being in the room!

I responded as soon as I had played the track, so it's now back to going through songs that I'm familiar with to hear what else there is that I didn't hear before.

Laters!

PS, if you have a Caiman 2, you owe it to yourself to buy one of these 'price of a take away' upgrades.

Did I see Stan mention that they are available for the BM2 as well? If so, you need one as well! :)

Hey, have you played with the Mode Options for the different processing schemes? If so, which one do you prefer?

icehockeyboy
24-06-2015, 06:44
Hey, have you played with the Mode Options for the different processing schemes? If so, which one do you prefer?

No I haven't, I just installed it and started listening to music!

Tell me how to go about that if you would please.

mkrzych
24-06-2015, 07:52
No I haven't, I just installed it and started listening to music!

Tell me how to go about that if you would please.

Did you get super firmware v3 from Stan for CMII? If so, you should have the instructions already provided I guess.

icehockeyboy
24-06-2015, 08:07
Did you get super firmware v3 from Stan for CMII? If so, you should have the instructions already provided I guess.

Instructions?

Instructions are for wimps! ��

Erm.......yes......I guess I'd better read them.......��

Wakefield Turntables
24-06-2015, 08:40
Super Firmware is now upto v6.

mkrzych
24-06-2015, 09:06

Ok, I meant the latest one for CMII, just recently distributed by Stan.

StanleyB
24-06-2015, 09:51
It has passed that now with the SFW3. The V6/100 is option-2 in the new SFW3 firmware. I added it for backwards compatibility sake and for A/B reference testing.

mkrzych
24-06-2015, 10:26
It has passed that now with the SFW3. The V6/100 is option-2 in the new SFW3 firmware. I added it for backwards compatibility sake and for A/B reference testing.

So, does this mean that already having V6/100 which is optimized XTAL processing, I should rather check Mode-3 & 4, am I right Stan?

StanleyB
24-06-2015, 10:42
I am not telling anyone how to suck an egg. I can only offer you the chip and the instructions, and you do as you please afterwards with the options available. I already told you so via email, so why do you keep repeating the same question over and over again on different platforms and method of communication?

mkrzych
24-06-2015, 10:50
I am not telling anyone how to suck an egg. I can only offer you the chip and the instructions, and you do as you please afterwards with the options available. I already told you so via email, so why do you keep repeating the same question over and over again on different platforms and method of communication?

Because this is relevant question, but fine, I'm quite again.

Marco
24-06-2015, 11:01
Krzysztof, please give your continual 'poking' at Stan a rest. Stan has been more than accommodating and helpful to you, so enough is enough - ta!

Marco.

mkrzych
24-06-2015, 11:06
Krzysztof, please give your continual 'poking' at Stan a rest. Stan has been more than accommodating and helpful to you, so enough is enough - ta!

Marco.

Sure, didn't want to bother anyone.

Marco
24-06-2015, 11:09
Excellent, and so please bear that in mind in future :)

Marco.

wee tee cee
24-06-2015, 14:35
Ive managed to get a few hours on the cans with the new Caiman 2 chip firmware.

My initial impressions have been borne out. The most noticeable differences for me surround the areas of, detail retrieval/texture /channel separation/sound stage and instrument placement.

The amount of information that is being drawn out was initially quite confusing-one of the most complex tracks I use to seperate the men from the boys is Stevie Wonders -have a talk with god. There is just so much going on that its easy for a lot of the different elements to mush into a sonic fug-a very pleasant one I might add IMHO. The new firmware has unravelled more than I have ever heard in the past.

Rich commented on cymbal noise and texture- this is a very noticeable difference. The subtle granular quality to voices or the lovely soft organic sound of real instruments has taken me aback....Duke Ellington-Blues in blueprint WOW!!!

Channel separation is for me more apparent on cans, there seems to be little or no bleeding across channels it was quite disconcerting initially. I don't have a lot of noise floor on my set up but if anything it has lowered even further-I suspect this is a factor in hearing more detail.

Sound stage and instrument placement-George Duke-the black messiah (part 2) a great live recording...for placing different elements in your soundstage its as good as I have heard.
A special mention has to go to John Martyn-he just sounds majik ( or more majik than usual)

None of my observations have came at a price, the sound is natural and unforced with a marvellous toe tapping quality that just immerses me in the music. A fine upgrade.

Stan kindly sent me a Bushmaster chip, Im off from tommorow for a few days and will hopefully marry it up with the 650s( a great partnership). When I get some mileage on it I will post my impressions.

Usual caveat-my ears/kit/music.

icehockeyboy
24-06-2015, 17:22
Po
Ive managed to get a few hours on the cans with the new Caiman 2 chip firmware.

My initial impressions have been borne out. The most noticeable differences for me surround the areas of, detail retrieval/texture /channel separation/sound stage and instrument placement.

The amount of information that is being drawn out was initially quite confusing-one of the most complex tracks I use to seperate the men from the boys is Stevie Wonders -have a talk with god. There is just so much going on that its easy for a lot of the different elements to mush into a sonic fug-a very pleasant one I might add IMHO. The new firmware has unravelled more than I have ever heard in the past.

Rich commented on cymbal noise and texture- this is a very noticeable difference. The subtle granular quality to voices or the lovely soft organic sound of real instruments has taken me aback....Duke Ellington-Blues in blueprint WOW!!!

Channel separation is for me more apparent on cans, there seems to be little or no bleeding across channels it was quite disconcerting initially. I don't have a lot of noise floor on my set up but if anything it has lowered even further-I suspect this is a factor in hearing more detail.

Sound stage and instrument placement-George Duke-the black messiah (part 2) a great live recording...for placing different elements in your soundstage its as good as I have heard.
A special mention has to go to John Martyn-he just sounds majik ( or more majik than usual)

None of my observations have came at a price, the sound is natural and unforced with a marvellous toe tapping quality that just immerses me in the music. A fine upgrade.

Stan kindly sent me a Bushmaster chip, Im off from tommorow for a few days and will hopefully marry it up with the 650s( a great partnership). When I get some mileage on it I will post my impressions.

Usual caveat-my ears/kit/music.

Yeh...wot 'e said!

I've been having a play with the 4 settings too, I have yet to actually get to position 4 as number 3 is sounding sooooo good! :)

Wakefield Turntables
24-06-2015, 17:48
I've just ordered one too.

jon1
24-06-2015, 17:52
Got the chip today .....what can say..i am to busy going through my cd collection:D

report later if i have time;)

jon

icehockeyboy
24-06-2015, 18:09
:)
Might seem a poncy track to comment on, but for the first time ever on Cliff's "It's All In The Game" I can hear a piano follows him note for note when he sings " Many A Tear Has To Fall"

Please note I do not make a habit of playing his stuff.

Honest.

No, really.

I don't .

jon1
24-06-2015, 18:21
You aswell craig:D....I blame stan for all the good work he dose keeping us busy..we have no time to post:eyebrows:

jon

jon1
24-06-2015, 18:23
:)
Might seem a poncy track to comment on, but for the first time ever on Cliff's "It's All In The Game" I can hear a piano follows him note for note when he sings " Many A Tear Has To Fall"

Please note I do not make a habit of playing his stuff.

Honest.

No, really.

I don't .

Ok i believe you..enjoy:D

jon

Wakefield Turntables
27-06-2015, 12:01
Mine arrived today. Will have a good listen today.

StanleyB
27-06-2015, 12:13
Mine arrived today. Will have a good listen today.
Lidl does a good selection of wines in case you expect to be gone for a while during the listening session.

Wakefield Turntables
27-06-2015, 14:44
Lidl does a good selection of wines in case you expect to be gone for a while during the listening session.

Stan, thats fucking spooky. My other 1/2 has just walked in with three large bottles of Estrella. :D

jon1
27-06-2015, 14:55
Stan, thats fucking spooky. My other 1/2 has just walked in with three large bottles of Estrella. :D

So we will hear form you in a couple of days time then?:D

jon

StanleyB
27-06-2015, 15:04
They call that female intuition:lol:.

Audio Advent
27-06-2015, 17:06

But you, I and the other members of the AA know that's a daily occurance...

wee tee cee
27-06-2015, 17:25
Cant go too wrong with lidl multipuciano/bardalino/chaianti-fine hi fi assessment lubricant.

Got the 3 chip plugged in today....it just seems to smooth out all the observations of 1. Really enjoying listening to music and not my hi fi if that makes any sense!!!

Wakefield Turntables
27-06-2015, 17:33
Chip in. Judas Priest on full blast. Seem to have more micro detail. I'll need more time to assess. Seems to have added a positive effect. Too early to decide. And no it's not the Estrella.

jon1
27-06-2015, 17:39
Just taking a break:D...Had the chip two days now ..I have settled for number three.The imagine is excellent the sound stage is big very big.... the stereo imagine is superb very clear ...i have triad a lot of cds from william orbit to trance.... dance cds it excels on all of them picking every last bit of detail out..well stan have you got anything left in the armoury?This is a worth every penny...got to get on;)

jon

jon1
27-06-2015, 17:41
Cant go too wrong with lidl multipuciano/bardalino/chaianti-fine hi fi assessment lubricant.

Got the 3 chip plugged in today....it just seems to smooth out all the observations of 1. Really enjoying listening to music and not my hi fi if that makes any sense!!!

born again;)

jon

StanleyB
27-06-2015, 20:16
I have been following Glastonbury with the new firmware fitted. The BBC did a good job with their audio capture setup.

aBe
28-06-2015, 03:51
Stan,

Is this new Firmware = the Super Firmware that was released last March/April for CaimanII ? (Which I've just got it from you)
Lord..I hope it's the same one :D

StanleyB
28-06-2015, 08:02
It is not the same firmware. the SFW3 has 4 user selectable data processing options. It is a unique feature that is only available on the ground breaking Caiman II. It is still good value for money if you consider that you are basically getting a firmware that can turn the Caiman II into four different sounding DACs with the press of a button.
You can of course wait instead and see if I ever manage to come up with another upgrade next year. In any case, I do try to offer a substantial amount of grin factor with these dirt cheap firmware upgrades, and a money back guarantee if it is not considered to be worth the amount that I charge for it.

icehockeyboy
28-06-2015, 09:42
It seems the number 3 setting is a favourite here, that explains the reason why when going through them I haven't managed to get past it yet!

This upgrade for peanuts is a no brainer if you are running a Caiman 2!

wee tee cee
28-06-2015, 16:00
I probably spend more time on cans than my main rig -but have always endeavoured to chase what I hear on headphones in my main set up. Room signature not withstanding the changes/improvements this firmware has brought gets pretty close.

I have found that adjustments to the Capella for cans use and speaker placement in the main rig have been necessitated by the new level of resolution.

A lot of disappointing recordings that I had written off in the past are getting a second wind-the fug and over processed nature is somehow smoothed out and reassembled into what the original engineer had heard in the booth-Im still surprised at the amount of effects on voices and double/triple tracking I hadn't picked up on before.

Quite simply Im only hearing it properly now!!!

aBe
30-06-2015, 22:49
It is not the same firmware. the SFW3 has 4 user selectable data processing options. It is a unique feature that is only available on the ground breaking Caiman II. It is still good value for money if you consider that you are basically getting a firmware that can turn the Caiman II into four different sounding DACs with the press of a button.
You can of course wait instead and see if I ever manage to come up with another upgrade next year. In any case, I do try to offer a substantial amount of grin factor with these dirt cheap firmware upgrades, and a money back guarantee if it is not considered to be worth the amount that I charge for it.

I see.
I'll try to hang on tight here as long as I could.
Be strong meself...

Wakefield Turntables
01-07-2015, 07:56
Ok, listened a little more now. Setting three seems to be the best. The DAC does indeed sound better in that micro detail has improved. I think I've noticed a little more space around the instruments. Soundstage sounds about the same width as ever but with maybe a tad more solidity and cohesion. For the money it's definitely worth upgrade.

Theadmans
01-07-2015, 17:10
I have a Bushmaster II with the chip upgrade but may decide to upgrade to the Caiman II in the future.

Just interested - on the Caiman II is there any visual identification (eg LEDS) of which Firmware setting you are choosing (or do you have to press the button the relevant number of time and remember where you are up to). Does the Caiman II remember your last selected Firmware setting or do you have to reset from scratch on switch off /on ?

Also one for Stan - Stan does the Bushmaster II single choice Chip Upgrade equate to one of the 4 selectable Firmware Chip upgrades on the Caiman II ? Or are they completely different ?

Desmo
01-07-2015, 17:16
I have a Bushmaster II with the chip upgrade but may decide to upgrade to the Caiman II in the future.

Just interested - on the Caiman II is there any visual identification (eg LEDS) of which Firmware setting you are choosing (or do you have to press the button the relevant number of time and remember where you are up to). Does the Caiman II remember your last selected Firmware setting or do you have to reset from scratch on switch off /on ?

Also one for Stan - Stan does the Bushmaster II single choice Chip Upgrade equate to one of the 4 selectable Firmware Chip upgrades on the Caiman II ? Or are they completely different ?

Quick answers: on the Caiman II is there any visual identification (eg LEDS) of which Firmware setting you are choosing (or do you have to press the button the relevant number of time and remember where you are up to)?

Yes, you do have to press a button n times, but on doing so the red LED flashes the number of the option briefly - so you can see where you are. However you do need to cycle through all of the options to go back to an earlier option. i.e. to get to option 1 from option three you have to go through option four. Not a problem really though.

Does the Caiman II remember your last selected Firmware setting or do you have to reset from scratch on switch off /on ?

Yes, it remembers the last setting on switch off, and stays there on switch on.

Stan is definitely best suited to answer the final question.

maxrob200
02-07-2015, 03:19
It would seem that a number of Hi-End DAC' are now using Data recovery re-clocking as their preferred option. So it's great to see that the SFW3 firmware is embracing this implementation plus we have the option of different settings to suit our system voicing and personal preferences

mkrzych
02-07-2015, 05:56
It would seem that a number of Hi-End DAC' are now using Data recovery re-clocking as their preferred option. So it's great to see that the SFW3 firmware is embracing this implementation plus we have the option of different settings to suit our system voicing and personal preferences

Indeed, do you have any example?

SPDIF receiver used in CMII is kind of state of the art as well, so with good firmware and circuit implementation could almost eliminate the jitter and unless the PLL looses lock, the output jitter will be indistinguishable from the intrinsic jitter of the PLL itself I guess.

maxrob200
02-07-2015, 08:44
From memory, Hegel and PS Audio.

mkrzych
02-07-2015, 09:04
From memory, Hegel and PS Audio.

Thanks. Did they mentioned or better describe it exactly somewhere? CDR is quite extensive methodology and lots of papers have been produced to elaborate on the subject what is the best method to recover and reconstruct the clock from incoming signal to eliminate jitter. Hegel and PS Audio are pretty well known high end gear, PS Audio using FPGA's AFAIR. What is interesting to me as well is why people tend to prefer the 3rd option vs. the 4th where 20MHz clock has been used instead of 12MHz which theoretically could speed up the control PLL programming process? Interesting stuff!

maxrob200
02-07-2015, 10:28
Thanks. Did they mentioned or better describe it exactly somewhere? CDR is quite extensive methodology and lots of papers have been produced to elaborate on the subject what is the best method to recover and reconstruct the clock from incoming signal to eliminate jitter. Hegel and PS Audio are pretty well known high end gear, PS Audio using FPGA's AFAIR. What is interesting to me as well is why people tend to prefer the 3rd option vs. the 4th where 20MHz clock has been used instead of 12MHz which theoretically could speed up the control PLL programming process? Interesting stuff!

I think you've covered it about the CDR reducing or eliminating jitter, although some comments have been made in different forums about whethet the small amount of jitter is sufficient to affect audio performance. It was also discussed that for CDR to be effective, there should be some form of buffer in place to avoid bottlenecks (sic). Dunno, I am not a digital engineer.
I am of the firm belief that measurements and technology for technology's sake does not necessarily make for better sound. for example, I like the euphonics of valves. Similarly, in my system I prefer the original firmware (setting 1) over sfwv6 (setting 2) but really liked the Date reclock (setting 3). It's really all about personal preferences at the end of the day.

mkrzych
02-07-2015, 10:35
I think you've covered it about the CDR reducing or eliminating jitter, although some comments have been made in different forums about whethet the small amount of jitter is sufficient to affect audio performance. It was also discussed that for CDR to be effective, there should be some form of buffer in place to avoid bottlenecks (sic). Dunno, I am not a digital engineer.
I am of the firm belief that measurements and technology for technology's sake does not necessarily make for better sound. for example, I like the euphonics of valves. Similarly, in my system I prefer the original firmware (setting 1) over sfwv6 (setting 2) but really liked the Date reclock (setting 3). It's really all about personal preferences at the end of the day.

Agree that's all about personal preference of course. Buffer is already presented in CMII AFAIR. Have you tried Option 4? I did, but initially it has less pace and slightly edgy high tones, but it could be just a mental bias (again, thinking why). So far left Option 3 and need more time to listen, especially over my cans.

PeteC
02-07-2015, 15:29
Went straight to option 3 having read comments on here. Initial stand out thing I noticed was better stereo imaging, things now placed more accurately accross the sound stage. Next thing was perhaps a touch more mid range warmth, with a bit more bounce to it; foot tapping stuff! That was on cans (hd650s). Going to speakers the initial observations were confirmed, the stereo imaging confirmed, even though my room accoustics are less than perfect. Quite often different recordings seemed to pull slightly to one side, with a slight hole on the other, now instruments are spread more accurately across the sound stage, as they should be, on all I have listened to so far. This listening to CDs.

So to to compare with the other settings:

Option 4 - quickly decided there was nothing to be gained here. Image pulled to right on what I was listening to at the time.

Option 1 - Original Caiman II firmware and my favourite before this latest upgrade. Superb sound quality all round.

Option 2 - V6 firmware which for a short while impressed with the incredible detail, clarity and tighter bass. On the best recordings very good, but on many it reveals some nasties too. Less relaxing on extended listening.

So for my particular taste the winner has to be setting number 3

mkrzych
02-07-2015, 16:16
Quite often different recordings seemed to pull slightly to one side, with a slight hole on the other, now instruments are spread more accurately across the sound stage, as they should be, on all I have listened to so far. This listening to CDs.

So to to compare with the other settings:

Option 4 - quickly decided there was nothing to be gained here. Image pulled to right on what I was listening to at the time.

So for my particular taste the winner has to be setting number 3

Interesting. Regarding off centre on recent recording I have noticed the same! Don't really know what is the reason, ok, listening via speakers could be room acoustics, but over the cans? Well, something wrong with my ears?

Have you tried any 24/96 recordings against option 3 and 4? For me also for CD, seems to option 3 the winner, better pace and stereo imaging with nice smoothness. I need more time on high res with 3 and 4 to compare on my side. Theoretically, option 4 if inherit the same optimizations from 3 plus faster clock could be potentially better - but on theory, not by listening ;-)

Theadmans
02-07-2015, 17:26
Quick answers: on the Caiman II is there any visual identification (eg LEDS) of which Firmware setting you are choosing (or do you have to press the button the relevant number of time and remember where you are up to)?

Yes, you do have to press a button n times, but on doing so the red LED flashes the number of the option briefly - so you can see where you are. However you do need to cycle through all of the options to go back to an earlier option. i.e. to get to option 1 from option three you have to go through option four. Not a problem really though.

Does the Caiman II remember your last selected Firmware setting or do you have to reset from scratch on switch off /on ?

Yes, it remembers the last setting on switch off, and stays there on switch on.

Stan is definitely best suited to answer the final question.

Thanks very much Graeme - most impressive work Stan did on this if the number of the FW is displayed on the LED - jobs a goodun !

...and Stan any thoughts on my last query - does the BM II FW chip equate to one of the 4 settings on the CM II ? (I am hoping option 3 from what others have said on here !).

PeteC
03-07-2015, 12:38
With the cans the separation between instruments was the most noticeable feature on setting 3. The space, focus and lack of gaps accross the sound stage are more apparent on speakers. Of course the recording technique used makes a big difference. It is early days and I have been listening to mostly multi mic recording, probably there is some EQ there too. I will listen to some classical recordings made using coincident pairs or soundfield mics and see how they shape up. It will also be interesting to listen to some film sound tracks off bluray. The film industry often do a better job with sound mixes than the music industry, recording speech at a lower level allowing huge amounts of headroom for when the bombs go off, but then these guys with big budgets spend ages creating their mix. Beats 'loudness wars' stuff with loads of compession!

Will report back when I have had a chance do listen more!

wee tee cee
04-07-2015, 01:03
Peter,
Good write up....I settled on 3 on the cans. I was concious of the mid range softening but was not certain due to a stubborn head cold that has been playing havoc with my synasis.

luvpies
04-07-2015, 10:11
Mines on the way!!! exciting...

So let me get this right

Option 1 is the old Caiman II with no upgrade
Option 2 is the Caiman II with the last SFW upgrade
Option 3 and 4 are new upgrades but everyone prefers option 3

If this correct all I can say is... GENIUS!!!

I joined the Stan club 2 months ago when I took the plunge and got a Caiman II with the last SWF already installed, I had been using a mates Caiman II with no upgrade which made my mind up that one of Stans would be the way to go after trying much more expensive dacs, every time I listened to my mates Caiman, I just started listening to the music and stopped listening to my hifi, when my new upgraded Caiman II came I was over joyed with the improvement over the non-upgraded Caiman, WOW does it get any better than this I thought. I would put my current Caiman V6 up against anything on the market regardless of price. In fact I have listened to dacs over 3k which have not bettered the Caiman.

Most manufactures producing this level of upgrade would repackage the design call it MKIII or SE and charge shit loads more for it, not Stan, he gives us a major upgrade for the price of a large take out pizza... what a Dude, Stan is most definitely the man!!!

Stan's Dacs have to be the billy hifi bargain of the century. I'm always surprised at the reaction on other forums when the I recommend the Caiman, which is usually met by silence, it's like people that haven't tried one of Stan's can't believe that something so cheap could possible sound so good, it like the emperors new clothes syndrome, perceived value is based on cost and hype of the so called high end, not sound quality.

But then there is the smug satisfaction of sitting back and enjoying my music through a Stan dac, having paid so little for so much.

Thanks Stan!!! must be cool bringing auditory pleasure to lots of music lovers.

magical_mouse
04-07-2015, 13:00
Hi, i bought an upgraded chip from Mr Bereford in March and this is fine, however i am very confused with the discussion of the new(er?) chip - is this another even better upgraded chip - i cannot find any information on it other than this thread?

i am using the Caiman mk2 which i bought last year.

thanks

david

jon1
04-07-2015, 13:45
Hi, i bought an upgraded chip from Mr Bereford in March and this is fine, however i am very confused with the discussion of the new(er?) chip - is this another even better upgraded chip - i cannot find any information on it other than this thread?

i am using the Caiman mk2 which i bought last year.

thanks

david

Yes it is david... a new chip with 4 options to chose from..take your pick;)

jon

brainz2000
04-07-2015, 13:55
David

It is a new chip with more options

Mail Stan - send money - receive chip - open DAC - swap chip - close DAC - be amazed

All for the price of a large pizza

You owe it to your ears

Tin

luvpies
07-07-2015, 16:55
Not long home from work and found my SFW3 chip waiting for me, so easy to fit couldn't believe it, I went straight to option 3 to see what all the fuss is about... bloody hell... you've done it again Stan!!! Initial impressions, a lot more detail but in a smooth atmospheric way with the sound stage disappearing into infinity, I think it's going to be a long night.

mkrzych
07-07-2015, 17:53
So it seems that nobody like Option 4?

luvpies
08-07-2015, 10:27
So it seems that nobody like Option 4?

I played a few tracks with option 4 last night and sounded very good, my plan is to listen to option 3 for a week, not to listen to the details of the sound but to see how much I enjoy the music and then switch to option 4 for a week, again not to listen to the differences in sound, but which I feel I enjoy the most, and then just stick to the option which most captivated me.

mkrzych
08-07-2015, 10:28
I played a few tracks with option 4 last night and sounded very good, my plan is to listen to option 3 for a week, not to listen to the details of the sound but to see how I enjoy the music and then switch to option 4 for a week, again not to listen to the differences in sound, but which I feel I enjoy the most, and then just stick to the option which most captivated me.

Good idea, I will try to do the same. Let us know how it went in the future. Happy listening.

WAD62
16-07-2015, 16:32
Good news...my firmware upgrade chip has arrived, not so good...no instructions :eyebrows:

Can anyone help this numpty open up the Caiman II safely, I've removed the 4 Philips screws from the side panels, nothing, then the 2 Philips screws from the back, nothing...

I'm obviously missing something, any advice :scratch:

Pieoftheday
16-07-2015, 16:38
Good news...my firmware upgrade chip has arrived, not so good...no instructions :eyebrows:

Can anyone help this numpty open up the Caiman II safely, I've removed the 4 Philips screws from the side panels, nothing, then the 2 Philips screws from the back, nothing...

I'm obviously missing something, any advice :scratch:

Email Stan, he'll email instructions to you:)

luvpies
16-07-2015, 16:40
Just Pm'd you the instructions Stan emailed me James

Pieoftheday
16-07-2015, 16:44

Ta john but I've already done mine a couple of week since it was wad62 that wanted them, I'll forward them :)

WAD62
16-07-2015, 16:44

Hi John, could you PM the instructions to me please?

Will

WAD62
16-07-2015, 16:45
Ta john but I've already done mine a couple of week since it was wad62 that wanted them, I'll forward them :)

Cheers James...

Pieoftheday
16-07-2015, 16:47
Hi John, could you PM the instructions to me please?

Will Will,

You have PM,JIM

WAD62
16-07-2015, 16:52
Will,

You have PM,JIM

Cheers James, I'll try the 4 side screws again, perhaps mine's a tight fit...

Pieoftheday
16-07-2015, 16:54
Cheers James, I'll try the 4 side screws again, perhaps mine's a tight fit...

Mine was very snug, I used a flat head screw driver with a hanky over the tip so I didn't scratch it:cool: gently does it

WAD62
16-07-2015, 16:55
Sorted, just needed a bit more leverage...:cool:

Let the fun commence...

Pieoftheday
16-07-2015, 16:58
Sorted, just needed a bit more leverage...:cool:

Let the fun commence...

Nice one:)

WAD62
16-07-2015, 17:17
Nice one:)

OK DAC up and running, how does one switch between the 4 firmware options?

PS Cheers for the assistance James

Wakefield Turntables
16-07-2015, 18:50
The user manual is on Stans Website. All your questions will be answered if you download it. :D

StanleyB
16-07-2015, 18:59
OK DAC up and running, how does one switch between the 4 firmware options?

PS Cheers for the assistance James

The instructions are at
http://www.beresford.me/downloads/SFW3.pdf
The extra info is in the section under the heading DATA PROCESSING MODE.

CageyH
16-07-2015, 19:14
Have a look at the post from Stan. ;)

WAD62
16-07-2015, 19:16
Cheers Stan, I'd already received your email...option 3 selected :)

P.S. I couldn't see a link to that .pdf on your download page...perhaps Mr Rexton might enlighten me ;)

http://www.beresford.me/S/support.htm

Old George
27-11-2015, 02:17
I've not been on here for quite some time, but i feel i need to endorse the positive comments posted so far, this new chip is just excellent!
Listening to Kate Bush's 'Army Dreamers' at the moment, it sound like a fresh recording, details are being revealed that i've never noticed before. I'm running a pair of fully modified Hifiman HE-400's (rev 2 drivers, grills modded,Toxic Cable Silver Poison cable)

Sound is more 'focused'. Bass deeper and firmer, cymbals are detailed but not harsh, basically every area has been improved............All that for a tad over twenty quid!

Next upgrade (hopefully) will be the Capella to get the best out of the planar magnets.:idea: