PDA

View Full Version : I LOVE my job!

The Vinyl Adventure
13-09-2009, 13:04
im sure none of these photos mean anything to you as you dont know the people but im so chuffed with images i wanted to show more people!

The couple are Erin and Paul, and the location is "the nash"

taken with nikon d3 with lenses as stated

nikon 85mm 1.4
http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/_DSC8633-2.jpg

nikon 70-200mm 2.8
http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/_DSC8746-2.jpg

nikon 24-70 2.8
http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/_DSC8756-2.jpg

nikon 24-70 2.8
http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/_DSC8780-2.jpg

you gotta love a tobacco grad ... even if it is a digital one!:

nikon 85mm 1.4 (with a large home fashioned cardboard lens hood to alow shooting into daytime sunlight)
http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/_DSC8555-3.jpg

DaveK
13-09-2009, 13:25
im sure none of these photos mean anything to you as you dont know the people but im so chuffed with images i wanted to show more people!

The couple are Erin and Paul, and the location is "the nash"

Hi Hamish,
Nice pics, particularly the one of the couple under the trees, looking into each other's eyes - beautiful, as I expect it will give them both much pleasure and many happy memories when they look back on it in future years.
I'd love your job also, if I could produce images like that. A few weeks ago an old friend, in every sense of the word, 'volunteered' me to do the wedding pics of a family friend (of his, not mine). I managed to wriggle out of it 'cos it's too much responsibility - no other photographer and if I made a b......s (mess) of it .........
If I get married again, will you do my wedding pics? - ;) but don't hold your breath waiting for the call :lolsign: .
Cheers,

The Vinyl Adventure
13-09-2009, 13:40
cheers dave

its mates rate to forum members (the ones i know at least) ... its almost worth getting married again just for that dave!!! ;)

cheers for the comments .. they were a realy nice couple to photograph... they actually look like they love each other.. they were good at forgeting i was there! its not always easy to capture how the couple feel about each other, sometimes you just capture how they feel about the camera!

The Vinyl Adventure
13-09-2009, 14:26
i have just recived permision of this little ladys mother to put this pic up too.. this is my fave from the day i think... i think i heard her mother saying she wants to be a modle when she grows up... this is my fave picture from the day!

85mm 1.4 shot at f4 1/250th at 200iso

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/_DSC8549-4.jpg

The Vinyl Adventure
13-09-2009, 14:35
the blown out high lights are because it was intended to be a high key black and white like this:

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/_DSC8549-5.jpg

i just dont think it works quite as well as i though it might...

and in case anyone is questioning the dynamic range of my camera compared to film... i know how you film people like to do that...

here is version that wasnt shot for high key:

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/_DSC8548.jpg

i just prefer her expression in the first one

DaveK
13-09-2009, 14:52
Great pics again Hamish - how I envy your ability to 'play tunes' on a basic photo to get the effect you envisage - I'm handicapped on two fronts:
envisaging what I want to/can achieve and then how to achieve it :lolsign:
Just a side comment: Isn't it a sad reflection on our society that you now need to ask a parent's permission to publish a photo of their child. When my wife was about the same age as your young model, and on holiday at Great Yarmouth around 1950, unbeknown to anyone a photographer took her picture whilst playing on the beach. Next year the photo appeared on the front cover of Great Yarmouths holiday brochure - no permissions were sought, no royalties were paid, and nobody really cared, least of all Sue and her parents - everyone in the neighbourhood got shown the picture ad nauseum. A different world now and not always a better one.
Cheers,

The Vinyl Adventure
13-09-2009, 15:27
there is def 2 sides to that story!
on one side its a shame i cant walk around inocently taking pictures of whatever i like without the fear of arrest or a beating of some chav, sun/daily express/daily mail reading mother
on the other side there might be some protection for young childeren gained from being a bit more stringent?

the sad thing is bad stuff happens, and always is going to happen - incriminating the inocent isnt going to help! in reality it creates more work for the police dealing with people who have been "caught" taking pictures of childeren, or whatever. as well as that they waste even more time dealing with the people that have given the beatings - because they have read out so many bad people in news papers!

unfortunatly bad breads bad, and when all we ever read about is bad, no wonder the world is going to shite!

it certainly is a different world

i personally find yougsters a pleasure to take photos of, but in this day and age the only oportunity i have is at a wedding!

DSJR
13-09-2009, 17:04
My photo's have two chances - slim or none :D

There was a scene i wanted us to be photo'd in at our wedding. The video chap got it perfect, but the official photographer didn't. I have the S-VHS master and some day will have to have the frame sampled, cleaned up and printed. Hopefully, an 8" by 6" print shouldn't look too bad.....

The Vinyl Adventure
13-09-2009, 17:07
im gonna be a right knob at my wedding ... i dont think there is much point in me having a wedding photographer ... i think id end up getting to stressed at him/her

DaveK
13-09-2009, 17:25
i personally find yougsters a pleasure to take photos of, but in this day and age the only oportunity i have is at a wedding!

Hi again Hamish,
It seems as if virtually every shopping centre I go to these days there's a guy or gal with a camera, a computer, a couple of light bulbs and a couple of overturned white umbrellas specifically for photoing children, out shopping with proud grand parents etc. One generally makes a good job of anything one enjoys doing (doesn't one? :lol: ), and most parents, grand parents and god parents will happily pay a premium for a nice picture of their little dears - you might make yourself a nice contribution to your hi-fi upgrade fund (enough to buy a 'proper' record cleaner perhaps ;) ).
Cheers,

REM
14-09-2009, 09:00
Hello guys.

Just a thought, would you need a CRB check to do wedding photos given that kiddies will be present and likely photograghed? In a world where parents are prevented from snapping their own kids at a school play (just in case! just in case of what?? FFS) and a DJ aquaintance of mine has felt the need to get his own CRB check and produce business cards saying so, just to carry on doing weddings and other family functions, you can bet it's not far off.
Sad thing is there is no evidence that children are any more at risk these days than they ever have been and equally no evidence that despite the current checks, or the proposed wider rules, that they are any safer either. The world gets sadder by the day.

Regards

DaveK
14-09-2009, 09:25
Hello guys.

Just a thought, would you need a CRB check to do wedding photos given that kiddies will be present and likely photograghed?
Hope not or Hamish may be in trouble, the ready way he hands out bits of his private anatomy to others to hold whilst he is otherwise occupied :lolsign: Hamish, I would delete the relevant post from this forum just in case some politically correct 'jobsworth' finds it whilst they are reviewing your application for a CRB check. Seriously though, what is the world coming to??
Sad thing is there is no evidence that children are any more at risk these days than they ever have been and equally no evidence that despite the current checks, or the proposed wider rules, that they are any safer either. The world gets sadder by the day.
Sad but true, but it keeps lawyers, politicians (often the same people - coincidence?) and the growing rabble of PC 'do-gooders' busy!
Regards

My two penn'orth, anyway!
Cheers,
Grumpy of Sheffield.

Steve Toy
14-09-2009, 10:34
You will probably have to pay £64 and be on the Independent Safeguarding Authority register which will exclude anyone who has ever simply been accused of anything. This is a charter for allowing malicious accusations to very easily damage careers of the completely innocent.

Oh, if you work around kids and are not on the register you will face being fined up to 5 grand.

Our glorious Labour government!

The Vinyl Adventure
14-09-2009, 11:01
Currently ,and i stress the word 'crurrently', as a photographer who shoots a range of subjects, i dont need to be registerd. if i was specifically a school photo or child photographer i would need to be registered! because i dont do either of those things i am fine. i can take photos of childeren at weddings because, childeren go to weddings. i could even take a job doing a residential childerens party, as it is at the discresion of the parents! of course the parents would prob want me to be checked, as the government would have you belive anyone with a camera is likely a terorist! did you know, i can be held in custody for 28days (is it 28 now i cant remember) under the terorism act for taking a photo of a police station, as they could 'justifyably' asume i was a terrorist planning to bomb it!... who needs the magna carta eh? i just feel sorry for any asian photographers - can you imagine the greif they must get?! "ruck sack, turban, pointing a camera at a government building.... wheres my rifle"

as for the labour government... well they are driven by hype, the media, and what gets votes! NOT, unfortunatly, there suposed left wing views... although i cant think of anyone in the labour government who apears to be left wing ... hilary ben.. maybe? probably not.....

Steve Toy
14-09-2009, 11:29
They are no longer driven by the desire to win votes but to strip away checks and balances and basic freedoms. Security is always placed above liberty for this serves to justify mission creep towards authoritarianism and exerting limitless control over a fearful populace.

They have also learnt how to manipulate the mainstream press who were traditionally always against them, certainly under previous Labour governments.

This government is about gaining, keeping, maintaining and consolidating power above all else.

The ISA is not independent and it is not about protecting children. It is about creating a climate of paranoia and fear. It is also about raising revenue for another self-justifying parasitic goverment body.

The Vinyl Adventure
14-09-2009, 11:39
i think you are probably right on the money there!
arnt we a (justifyably) cinical bunch

DaveK
14-09-2009, 12:19
They are no longer driven by the desire to win votes .

Nor should they be IMHO. They are elected to do what's in the best interests of the electorate, irrespective of whether they voted for them or not, in other words for the country as a whole and not in the interests of those with power, influence and largely undeserved wealth, which appears to be the case now and has been for many years.
On a slightly different note, the Three Line Whip is the enemy of real democracy in that it facilitates dictatorship within a so called democracy. MPs are elected to reflect the views of their electorate and not those of a meglomaniac party leader - where's the democracy in that?
Cheers,
Grumpy of Sheffield :steam::steam::steam:

Steve Toy
14-09-2009, 14:00
They are elected to do what's in the best interests of the electorate, irrespective of whether they voted for them or not,

They certainly don't act in the interests of the electorate. They used to act in the interests of working class people. Now they don't even do that. The pecking order is as follows:

1) The Party
2) The Party
3) The Party
4) Importing future Labour Voters, i.e, the Party
5) Basket cases who are dependent on the state for their very existance who will show loyalty to the Party.

Marco
14-09-2009, 16:08
Boo... Politics - what a boring load of old pee-paw :offtopic: :wanker: :baa:

It's about as interesting as examining the skidmarks on Steve's underpants after 'passing' a particularly sloppy jobby!

Get a life, people, and let's get back to photography :ner:

Marco.

Steve Toy
14-09-2009, 16:38
Marco, there are plenty of other threads for you to participate in. If the topic does not interest you, just say nothing.

It's that simple.

The rant is relevant to photography in highlighting the full extent of government meddling in our lives, including photography.

Spectral Morn
14-09-2009, 16:49
They are no longer driven by the desire to win votes but to strip away checks and balances and basic freedoms. Security is always placed above liberty for this serves to justify mission creep towards authoritarianism and exerting limitless control over a fearful populace.

They have also learnt how to manipulate the mainstream press who were traditionally always against them, certainly under previous Labour governments.

This government is about gaining, keeping, maintaining and consolidating power above all else.

The ISA is not independent and it is not about protecting children. It is about creating a climate of paranoia and fear. It is also about raising revenue for another self-justifying parasitic goverment body.

100% Correct we are doomed.................................:(:steam: Unless you all get off your big fat lazy asses and vote these B..........s out next election.

Regards D S D L

Marco
14-09-2009, 16:58
Marco, there are plenty of other threads for you to participate in. If the topic does not interest you, just say nothing.

It's that simple.

The rant is relevant to photography in highlighting the full extent of government meddling in our lives, including photography.

Wrong - this area is for pictures, as denoted by the room description "Off-topic photographs" ;)

So let's see some...................

If you post a picture of a bloody politician, though, I'll strangle you with your pishcatchers!! :lol: :ner:

Marco.

Steve Toy
14-09-2009, 17:18
All part of AOS thread drift my dear just like the chat about frocks. Photography is meant to stimulate discussion anyway.

Marco
14-09-2009, 17:22
Yesh, but frocks are funny!! :eyebrows:

Pictures of politicians in frocks - now that would be *really* funny!! :lol: :lol:

Marco.

P.S You have an important PM on its way from Beechy. Call me when you get it :)

The Vinyl Adventure
14-09-2009, 18:00
you want another piccy?
this is the fruits of todays labour.. a stop for a corporate broshure for a company called one creative...
stuff the weddings this shit is what i wanna do with my life.. this sort of photography really makes me tick!

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/_DSC8860.jpg

REM
15-09-2009, 09:01
Fantastic composition and lighting, was it all done 'in-camera' or is it PP in Photoshop or whatever, brilliant either way.
One small point, would it not have been better if the moody geeza had worn a new pair of shoes or were you maybe making some sort of statement like maybe '...look at this guy, been round the block a time or two, not afraid to get his shoes scuffed..'?
Anyway, very well done indeed.

Cheers

The Vinyl Adventure
15-09-2009, 10:22
Yeah I too find the shoe distracting! I tried lowering the exposure just on the sole .. But It looked odd somehow!?
Anyway it's shot with mostly natural night to capture the ambiance of the garage (7.1 60th 800iso) with a little bit of very difused flash. I did take my lights but we were a bit rushed and i recon it's prob turned out better for not useing proper lighting!
I used lightroom for the editing - it was croped and rotated slightly (I couldn't get the low angle and the camera completely straight) contrast slightly enhansed, sharpened, de saturated, slight sepia tint added to the highlights, very feathered post crop vignette applied, more yellow gradient tint on the ceiling, and a grey grad from the bottom left to focus the eye into the frame a bit. Quite a bit of fiddleing but I'm pretty chuffed with the end product! Thank you for the positive feedback, it's always nice to here!

Varun
16-09-2009, 19:15
Hamish,

The garage shot is quite smart-and what an expertise in dry darkroom technicking- Eh!

I appreciate that it is not easy to convert images into B&W-although there are a couple of softwares available which do a good fast job. Shooting digital by choosing B&W I have realized is a total waste. It has to be standard colour and then converted to B&W.

Do you use RAW only?

The Vinyl Adventure
16-09-2009, 21:11
raw is the only real way to shoot with digital, it allows a level of adjustment using softwear like adobe bridge or lightroom that is really not available to those shooting with jpeg
i dont find b&w convertersion an issue, but a high quality photo based monitor is a must!!