PDA

View Full Version : WTD: Quad 4 Pin DIN to stereo RCA lead

Idlewithnodrive
16-06-2015, 18:45
As cheap as you like please chaps as it is just to scratch an itch I have with a 405 that has just arrived at idle towers.

Loved the 306, so can't wait to try this :)

Barry
16-06-2015, 22:27
As cheap as you like please chaps as it is just to scratch an itch I have with a 405 that has just arrived at idle towers.

I may have one kicking about somewhere. Will try to find it for you; if I do you can have it gratis. It looks 'cheap as chips' but it will get you started. However I can't do anything about it until Sunday.

Barry
17-06-2015, 08:04
Mike, I have found the lead. Nothing to look at but it will get you started.

Send me you name and address by PM, and I'll get the lead in the post to you on Monday.

Regards
Barry

spendorman
17-06-2015, 10:44

405 or 405-2?

Idlewithnodrive
17-06-2015, 10:49
Mike, I have found the lead. Nothing to look at but it will get you started.

Send me you name and address by PM, and I'll get the lead in the post to you on Monday.

Regards
Barry

Very generous indeed Barry.

At least let me pay for postage.

I'll PM.

Idlewithnodrive
17-06-2015, 10:49
405 or 405-2?

405 with 405-2 boards fitted.

spendorman
17-06-2015, 11:09
405 with 405-2 boards fitted.

Excellent, in my view the original 405 sounded not too good (that is being kind), I bought one new about 1977. Sat on the shelf not being used until the -2 came out. Looked at the circuit diagrams and decided the op amp of the -2 should be put into the the 405. Bought two TL071's, put them in, and surprise surprise, I had a pretty good sounding amp. Happy(ish) with the sound, but thinking an improvement still could be made, I purchased the complete -2 upgrade kit from Quad, result, not any real difference in sound quality.

I still have the 405(-2), probably could do with new power supply capacitors now, but they still look OK.

Light Dependant Resistor
17-06-2015, 11:21
You should also try the Net Audio mk 3 Quad 405 boards with opa 627 op amps.
IMO the best a 405 has, and probably will ever sound.

Idlewithnodrive
17-06-2015, 11:43
Excellent, in my view the original 405 sounded not too good (that is being kind), I bought one new about 1977. Sat on the shelf not being used until the -2 came out. Looked at the circuit diagrams and decided the op amp of the -2 should be put into the the 405. Bought two TL071's, put them in, and surprise surprise, I had a pretty good sounding amp. Happy(ish) with the sound, but thinking an improvement still could be made, I purchased the complete -2 upgrade kit from Quad, result, not any real difference in sound quality.

I still have the 405(-2), probably could do with new power supply capacitors now, but they still look OK.

This one was apparently re-capped when the boards were fitted in '97, I believe.

Idlewithnodrive
25-06-2015, 19:45
Arrived safe and sound thanks very much for your generosity Barry.

Works perfectly well and I must admit to being amazed at how good the old Quad sounds.

Mind you, it has cost me a lovely pair of Castle speaks :( , having blown a bass driver through being less than careful with volume levels of sources connected directly into it !

spendorman
25-06-2015, 20:26
Arrived safe and sound thanks very much for your generosity Barry.

Works perfectly well and I must admit to being amazed at how good the old Quad sounds.

Mind you, it has cost me a lovely pair of Castle speaks :( , having blown a bass driver through being less than careful with volume levels of sources connected directly into it !

Great to see that you are happy with the with the sound quality, and sorry to hear that you have damaged a speaker. I did similar, but to a KEF B200 when I bought my 405 in 1977. I then put the power limiter resistors in. Your 405-2 has a similar facility, but instead of a resistor being pushed in sockets on each board, the -2 has links that are pushed in similar sockets.