PDA

View Full Version : Honestly, the names people give their kids...

walpurgis
14-06-2015, 23:05
On the box this week. Two names that really stuck out as very daft choices by parents. Justin Case, a day or two ago and tonight Robin Graves. These are real people, not movie or TV characters. I ask you! Do folk just not foresee the ramifications?

Marco
14-06-2015, 23:07
The problem is the brainless halfwits these days, who are freely allowed to procreate, spawning yet more (marginally more) brainless halfwits! ;)

I know what I'd do if I were in charge....

Marco.

walpurgis
14-06-2015, 23:09
I know what I'd do if I were in charge....

Marco.

Same here. :yesbruv:

Andrei
14-06-2015, 23:15
Two beauties that I have come across were Benson and Hedges for twins, and Rebate for a child born on the day a tax refund was issued. I also read in a Canadian Law Journal of someone called Born with a Tooth.

struth
14-06-2015, 23:15
Yup, the modern desire to give their kids a celebrity first name irrelevant of their surname of the fact the the kid will have live with it, growing up in places like castlemilk is incredible... would never have happened in my day :wheniwasaboy:

worst we had was Bamber McEwan :eyebrows:

Marco
14-06-2015, 23:21
Yup, the modern desire to give their kids a celebrity first name irrelevant of their surname...

It's pretty much restricted to the halfwit chavs though, isn't it? Those are the ones most obsessed with this celebrity nonsense. Does my head in though, both the baby-naming pish and the obsession in today's society with 'celebrity culture'.

It's all vacuous idiocy.

Marco.

struth
14-06-2015, 23:31
Muhammad was the top boys name in UK last year, and is perhaps a sign of our immigration policies coming home to roost. I wont even go to the top girls names..:doh:

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a25011627/top-baby-girl-names-2014

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a25011625/top-baby-boy-names-2014

Marco
14-06-2015, 23:37
Like I said, in certain places, the 'surgical snips' need to start coming out.... ;)

Marco.

Audio Al
15-06-2015, 04:44
:eek: I'm not in the top 100 :eek:

Firebottle
15-06-2015, 05:33
That's 'cause we've got an old-fashioned name Al.

Best name I can remember was work colleague from years ago was Warwick Bromwich.

:)

Marco
15-06-2015, 06:55
Look at the type of society we're breeding today, and the type of knuckleheads walking our streets - and the fact that they're free to breed more generations of knuckleheads, and you can perhaps understand that applying a little, shall we say, 'population control', these days wouldn't go amiss!

Marco.

Marco
15-06-2015, 07:07

You expected 'Daftee' to be listed? :D

Marco.

awkwardbydesign
15-06-2015, 07:44
but look at the type of society we're breeding today, and the type of knuckleheads walking our streets - and the fact that they're free to breed more generations of knuckleheads, and you can perhaps understand that applying a little, shall we say, 'population control', these days wouldn't go amiss!

Marco.

Yup, bigots.

Marco
15-06-2015, 08:19
So you don't think that anything should be done to reverse the trend (even slightly) of, every year, more and more generations of 'knuckleheads' being bred: folk that, quite simply, aren't in a fit state to look after themselves, or add anything positive to society, let alone bringing another one of their ilk into the world, to further dilute the integrity of the gene pool?

Marco.

Gordon Steadman
15-06-2015, 08:33
It's the March of the Proles:(

anthonyTD
15-06-2015, 08:47
Maybe the "the Knuckleheads" you refer to are just young souls who havent gained enough experience in previous lives yet to be anything else,[spiritualy speaking] thats the way i would rather look at things these days, otherwise i'd go mad! :)
Just my ramblings, with no intention of forcing my views on anyone else!

struth
15-06-2015, 08:59
I think the projection of self to family to community is lacki!g in modern living and has caused much of the ills. how many people regularly speak to all their neighbors . how many kids live with their parents for the first few years of marriage etc. these thingscwere important in development and grounding of society. learning how and why from your elders a!d not your peers was a staple and now a rarity alas

Canetoad
15-06-2015, 09:06

I'm, probably in the bottom 100. :lol:

Marco
15-06-2015, 09:24
Maybe the "the Knuckleheads" you refer to are just young souls who havent gained enough experience in previous lives yet to be anything else,[spiritualy speaking]...

Lol... So that's how you'd describe some of the halfwits [zombies] you see walking about the streets today? I guess that your description of them is rather more polite than mine! :eek: ;)

Marco.

walpurgis
15-06-2015, 09:44
The "knuckleheads" are the kind I see all to many of around this way. Standing about in places they don't belong most of the day, spitting everywhere, pissing up the wall in front of passers by and smoking joints openly, in between slurping from the cans of cheap cider in their jacket pockets, enjoying the odd bit of vandalism and theft here and there and abusing, threatening or even assaulting anybody who tells them to move on. It's not lack of opportunity or lack of work, there's plenty of each. It's wilful refusal to get educated or do anything worthwhile! They need eradicating!! :steam:

Joe
15-06-2015, 10:06
I will avoid being drawn into arguments about eugenics, apart from saying it has a long and inglorious history.

However, quite the most knuckle-headed christening decision must surely go to anyone with the surname 'Hunt' who names their son 'Michael'. I know of at least two unfortunates saddled with that name. I went to see one of them on a work-related visit, and his PA asked me, with a straight face, 'Are you here to see Mike Hunt?'

Joe
15-06-2015, 10:13
I wont even go to the top girls names..:doh:

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a25011627/top-baby-girl-names-2014

What's wrong with them? They seem perfectly fine, middle-class names to me.

Marco
15-06-2015, 10:25
The "knuckleheads" are the kind I see all to many of around this way. Standing about in places they don't belong most of the day, spitting everywhere, pissing up the wall in front of passers by and smoking joints openly, in between slurping from the cans of cheap cider in their jacket pockets, enjoying the odd bit of vandalism and theft here and there and abusing, threatening or even assaulting anybody who tells them to move on. It's not lack of opportunity or lack of work, there's plenty of each. It's wilful refusal to get educated or do anything worthwhile! They need eradicating!! :steam:

Hear, hear!! :clap:

I have a plan that would work, too.

Marco.

Marco
15-06-2015, 10:26
However, quite the most knuckle-headed christening decision must surely go to anyone with the surname 'Hunt' who names their son 'Michael'. I know of at least two unfortunates saddled with that name. I went to see one of them on a work-related visit, and his PA asked me, with a straight face, 'Are you here to see Mike Hunt?'

:lolsign:

Marco.

Joe
15-06-2015, 10:34
Hear, hear!! :clap:

I have a plan that would work, too.

Marco.

A 'Final Solution'?

Marco
15-06-2015, 10:54
Lol... No, just something eminently sensible and practical. I won't reveal my thoughts publicly, however, as it would doubtless upset the 'delicate sensibility' brigade! ;)

The problem is, everyone these days thinks that they've got an intrinsic right to have whatever they want in life, whether or not they're actually properly equipped (in every sense of the word) to deal with it, or can even realistically afford it and support it, without transferring that burden onto others.

Essentially, there has to be some form of control imposed on what folk these days think that they 'automatically deserve'.

Marco.

Gordon Steadman
15-06-2015, 11:37
Lol... No, just something eminently sensible and practical. I won't reveal my thoughts publicly, however, as it would doubtless upset the 'delicate sensibility' brigade! ;)

The problem is, everyone these days thinks that they've got an intrinsic right to have whatever they want in life, whether or not they're actually properly equipped (in every sense of the word) to deal with it, or can even realistically afford it and support it, without putting that burden on others.

Essentially, there has to be some form of control imposed on what folk these days think that they 'automatically deserve'.

Marco.

You mean 'because I'm worth it'?

Well, I am of course but I can't speak for anyone else - especially not the proles and dickheads of this world:ner:

Joe
15-06-2015, 11:44
I don't see how a 'population control' policy could work without a draconian police state along the lines of Communist-era China, where the state had absolute control over people's lives. This 'there's too many people of whom I don't approve' thing seems to be a feature of middle age.

Marco
15-06-2015, 11:44
You mean 'because I'm worth it'?

Yes, darling, just like it says on the advert :eyebrows:

I take it, though, you can see what I'm getting at?

Marco.

Beobloke
15-06-2015, 11:52
What's wrong with them? They seem perfectly fine, middle-class names to me.

I would tend to agree. It's not until you reach number 29 that things seem to go downhill.

Marco
15-06-2015, 11:55
I don't see how a 'population control' policy could work without a draconian police state along the lines of Communist-era China, where the state had absolute control over people's lives.

Undoubtedly getting it to work would be extremely difficult, but as they say: no pain, no gain. With these types of things, I'm very much the 'long game' strategist, based on what I'd consider to be for the greater good of mankind.

Also when in a position of huge responsibility, such as one would be as a Prime Minister, implementing 'population control', you *cannot* shirk from making the most difficult decisions. You have to have the balls to do what needs done - and if that means riding a storm for a while, from those who think they're being 'hard done to', then so be it!

This 'there's too many people of whom I don't approve' thing seems to be a feature of middle age.

Perhaps the true halfwits in our society just become more obvious to us then? ;)

Marco.

Firebottle
15-06-2015, 11:58
Totally see what you're getting at Marco.

The day the 'bleeding liberals' with a small L started spouting about how to help those that didn't / wouldn't put anything back into society was the beginning of the end to a civilised world.

:cool:

anthonyTD
15-06-2015, 11:58
Trouble with people thinking they have the right, and the superiority to decide on who deserves to live or not is well documented through history, Hitler is the perfect example, he may have started off as a peoples champion, however' what he became was nothing short of a merciless' mass murdering monster!
The key IMHO to the situation we find our system in today is Education, Education,Education!
No human has the right to impose they're own personal ideals on another.
A...

Joe
15-06-2015, 12:02
Perhaps the true halfwits in our society just become more obvious to us then? ;)

Marco.

Nah, we just have too much time on our hands. Do you not think that, back when you were a lad, middle-aged people weren't looking at you and your mates and making the same sort of complaints about 'kids today'?

With regard to the wider point, I find it hilarious that someone who bangs on about government interference is advocating a policy that would require far greater state interference in people's private lives, and which would require politicians to have 'the greater good of mankind' as their motivation. With a few rare exceptions, they've not shown much sign of it so far, have they?

Macca
15-06-2015, 12:04
I dont understand who you are all talking about? Teenagers on the street smoking weed and drinking beer? People who are a bit dim? (Hardly their fault).

It's not exactly the end of civilisation, is it?

If history has taught us anything it is that trying to make the world more perfect is a really good way to f**k it up some more.

Marco
15-06-2015, 12:05
Trouble with people thinking they have the right, and the superiority to decide on who deserves to live or not is well documented through history...

Not live or die, that would be absurd, but rather who is *fit* to procreate - and that's what would need to be assessed...

The key IMHO to the situation we find our system in today is Education, Education,Education!

I do agree, and that would always be the ideal course of action. Trouble is, the benefits of that solution take too long to take effect, and we're at the situation now where the 'zombies' are starting to take over, so rather more radical action is needed!

Also, how do you seek to educate those who refuse to be educated?

Marco.

Joe
15-06-2015, 12:05
Trouble with people thinking they have the right, and the superiority to decide on who deserves to live or not is well documented through history, Hitler is the perfect example, he may have started off as a peoples champion, however' what he became was nothing short of a merciless' mass murdering monster!
No human has the right to impose they're own personal ideals on another.
A...

Well, quite. I was avoiding the 'H' word myself, but it's very relevant, because he started by claiming to save Germany from 'parasites' who were living off the backs of 'ordinary, hard-working people'.

Joe
15-06-2015, 12:09
Not live or die, that would be absurd, but rather who is *fit* to procreate - and that's what would need to be assessed...

By whom? You? Me? David Cameron? What criteria would be used? Trying to decide who's 'fit to procreate' is every bit as absurd as deciding who's fit to live or die.

shane
15-06-2015, 12:10
This thread is treading on very dangerous ground indeed, and I have no intention of getting embroiled in the abhorrent politics that will soon start to appear. However, I can admit to a little sympathy with the OP after a call I received the other day. The caller, a young lady whose address confirmed her as a true Janner (look it up) was using the password Keajor. Fearing the worst, I asked if her children were called Keanu and Jordan, by any chance? " 'Ere, 'ow d'yew know that? Yew bin spyin on me?"

I despair.

Marco
15-06-2015, 12:11
Totally see what you're getting at Marco.

The day the 'bleeding liberals' with a small L started spouting about how to help those that didn't / wouldn't put anything back into society was the beginning of the end to a civilised world.

:cool:

Hear, hear! :exactly:

To answer Macca's, question: essentially those who are simply intent (through generations of having that mentality imposed on them by like-minded cretins in their family) on being nothing else but a DRAIN/burden on society: the take, take takers, who never put anything in, but take plenty out: society's parasites.

They're of no use to man nor beast.

Marco.

Marco
15-06-2015, 12:31
By whom? You? Me? David Cameron? What criteria would be used? Trying to decide who's 'fit to procreate' is every bit as absurd as deciding who's fit to live or die.

Well, there you are. I never said it would be easy, but IMO, we've reached a stage now where if something radical isn't done, the future doesn't bear thinking about...

As an aside, although in many ways it's related to the point I'm making, do you know that in my wife's job as a college lecturer, a significant percentage of the kids (15-18 year olds) she teaches every day can't even speak properly? Honestly, they grunt rather than talk. I kid you not! And this is 2015.

Why's that? Because they (and their parents before them) are so used to not actually communicating at home as humans (using mobile phones instead for the purpose), from a very early age, that their brains haven't managed to properly develop that basic human skill. It's both utterly shocking and frightening.

And education isn't having the desired effect, because when the kids need it most, in their younger years, before they get to school, their 'parents' aren't in any fit state to do it, as they themselves were never educated properly by their 'parents', so you have 'mongrels', breading more 'mongrels' - and so it goes on....

Anyway, in reality, there is no real solution to this, so we could debate all day, but it is most certainly a very serious problem that's not going away any time soon, and indeed only destined to get worse.

Marco.

Barry
15-06-2015, 12:36
I will avoid being drawn into arguments about eugenics, apart from saying it has a long and inglorious history.

Could be worse he could have been called Issac Hunt. :doh:

Macca
15-06-2015, 12:43
WAs an aside, although in many ways it's related to the point I'm making, do you know that in my wife's job as a college lecturer, a significant percentage of the kids (15-18 year olds) she teaches every day can't even speak properly? Honestly, they grunt rather than talk. I kid you not! And this is 2015.

They are just teenagers and that is what teenagers are like, especially with teachers or parents. If you gave them an incentive (money, or maybe a smack in the mouth ;)) you would soon realise they can be articulate if they want to.

Marco
15-06-2015, 12:58
Sorry, Martin, I totally disagree. This is a different thing entirely, and Del will tell you that based on what she has to deal with every day at her college. She has an excellent relationship with most of the kids she teaches too, so much so that they feel comfortable opening up to her about personal stuff, the likes of which you wouldn't believe!

This is about the erosion of the very fabric of humanity/society, and the complete inability of many kids today to be articulate.

At that age, for example, I was an eloquent speaker (and writer), full of opinions and not afraid to express them, and confident in the company of adults, as indeed was Del. I had no problem at all articulating myself - and there's a reason for that, other than simply being fortunate to have had a good education.

Marco.

Joe
15-06-2015, 13:06
They are just teenagers and that is what teenagers are like, especially with teachers or parents. If you gave them an incentive (money, or maybe a smack in the mouth ;)) you would soon realise they can be articulate if they want to.

Indeed. Teenage boys go into the grunting stage at around 15 or so and, usually, emerge as articulate adults. We recently met a friend's son for the first time in several years. Last time we saw him, when he was 19, he scuttled into the kitchen, mumbled something that might have been 'hello', grabbed some food and scuttled out again. Five or so years later, he was charming, chatty and polite.

Teenage girls don't have that so much; they just get mouthy and answer their parents back, then spend (literally) hours on the phone to their mates telling them how oppressed they are.

Marco
15-06-2015, 13:11
Indeed. Teenage boys go into the grunting stage at around 15 or so...

I must've missed that stage, then! ;)

Anyway, what do we do about the spongers and parasites?

Marco.

Joe
15-06-2015, 13:12
At that age, for example, I was an eloquent speaker (and writer), full of opinions and not afraid to express them, and confident in the company of adults, as indeed was Del. I had no problem at all articulating myself - and there's a reason for that, other than simply being fortunate to have had a good education.

Marco.

Being a mouthy Italian? Seriously, certainly with parents and teachers, I and most of my peers were sullen and monosyllabic, even though we were bright lads. It's what most teenage boys were and are like. Maybe not in my parents' day, when you left school at 14 and went straight into work, but certainly in my time. Parents and teachers were 'the enemy' who 'just didn't understand', so you didn't certainly confide in them.

Joe
15-06-2015, 13:22
I must've missed that stage, then! ;)

Anyway, what do we do about the spongers and parasites?

Marco.

Send them back to Scotland!

Marco
15-06-2015, 13:37
Being a mouthy Italian? Seriously, certainly with parents and teachers, I and most of my peers were sullen and monosyllabic, even though we were bright lads. It's what most teenage boys were and are like. Maybe not in my parents' day, when you left school at 14 and went straight into work, but certainly in my time. Parents and teachers were 'the enemy' who 'just didn't understand', so you didn't certainly confide in them.

Nothing to do with being 'mouthy' at all, simply confident and well adjusted - all as a result of my upbringing. I certainly never went through any 'grunting' stage, that's for sure, as if I'd communicated in that manner, my dad would've wanted a refund on the money he'd spent on my private education, some of which was elocution lessons at prep school! :D

I can't comment on the confiding in teachers thing, as I never felt the need to, simply because I had loving and devoted parents at home I could do that with if necessary. We were always a very close family, which is precisely what's lacking so much these days in homes, and at the very root of the problem we're discussing.

Marco.

Marco
15-06-2015, 13:39
Send them back to Scotland!

:lolsign:

Marco.

Gordon Steadman
15-06-2015, 13:58

:lol: My Italian girlfriend was either attracted to my devastating good looks, intelligence and the fact that I drove a flash sports car or...... it was what she said it was. She found my British reserve hugely attractive after the mouthy youths she had to put up with at home. Full of themselves, look at me etc. Now I'm not suggesting for a moment that Marco would come under that heading but some of my family do strangely enough. My sister and her offspring seem to suffer from verbal diarrhoea. Whilst it certainly fills in all the gaps, I rather like companionable silence myself.

When I were a lad, I never spoke to anyone other than to shout at them to put the bloody car back in the slot, I have a race to win:rolleyes:

I think one of the problems is that some people expect schools to provide ALL the education. At least 50% should come at home, both in facts and social education. There is of course, no time for that now as the TV, computer and hi-fi come first.

Macca
15-06-2015, 14:28
Now then - there's nowt wrong with TV. It raised me and my brothers perfectly well... ;)

The solution is simple of course, send all these kids to private school where the standard is much higher and they get dragged up to it. recall a pal of mine his sisters went to a state primary school until they were 11 then on to Cheltenham Ladies College. It took just one term to turn them from foul-mouthed scouse 'judys' into posh 'young ladies'. Never under-estimate the effect of environment, especially on the young and impressionable.

And don't forget the ancient Greeks were complaining about their surly and uncommunicative teenagers 3000 years ago.

Joe
15-06-2015, 14:34
Now then - there's nowt wrong with TV. It raised me and my brothers perfectly well... ;)

The solution is simple of course, send all these kids to private school where the standard is much higher and they get dragged up to it. recall a pal of mine his sisters went to a state primary school until they were 11 then on to Cheltenham Ladies College. It took just one term to turn them from foul-mouthed scouse 'judys' into posh 'young ladies'. Never under-estimate the effect of environment, especially on the young and impressionable.

I still smile sometimes remembering how our Headmaster told us new boys that the school's aim was to turn us (surly Scousers) into 'Young Christian gentlemen'. We spent the lunch hour calling each other 'Justin' and 'Tarquin' in what we thought were 'posh' voices.

Marco
15-06-2015, 14:39
I think one of the problems is that some people expect schools to provide ALL the education. At least 50% should come at home, both in facts and social education. There is of course, no time for that now as the TV, computer and hi-fi come first.

Spot on, Gordon, especially the bit in bold!

Sadly, not only is the last part so very true in the majority of households today, but many parents now simply don't have the skills required for the job - or worse care not two hoots about anything else but themselves, and then proceed to instil those 'values' in their offspring, for them to transfer to yet another generation of selfish, sponging mongrels.... :rolleyes:

I know exactly what you mean by 'mouthy Italian youths', but I wasn't really like that. I was quiet, when quiet was the correct thing to be, and always listened to those whom I knew that I could learn from (elders with more life experience), but when prompted, I was certainly capable of being vociferous.

Furthermore, I was taught proper discipline by my parents, from a very early age (and how to behave appropriately in different situations), and went to school being taught mainly by nuns in a very strict Catholic education environment. Yes, I still remember my Latin!

However, none of that turned me into a grunting and introverted nerd - quite the opposite in fact, which is probably why I tend to clash with those types, many of whom seem to populate Internet forums! ;)

Marco.

struth
15-06-2015, 14:45
Could be worse he could have been called Issac Hunt. :doh:

always liked Ivor Hardy :eyebrows:

Marco
15-06-2015, 14:48
Never under-estimate the effect of environment, especially on the young and impressionable.

Precisely, which is exactly what good parents (worthy of the name) should be providing in the homes of their kids: an environment in which they can develop properly. Sadly, the environment many parents seem to be most familiar with now is that of the local pub, which they inhabit more than the one they have at home.

Here's another dose of today's reality for you:

Do you know that well over 50% of the students Del teaches are sent into college by their parents without even enough money to buy themselves a bag of chips? The parents have spent all of their benefit money on booze or drugs. Indeed, that's precisely why they send their kids to college in the first place, so that they get paid £30 EMA per week [not for the kids to 'further their education', that's for sure] - and you can guess where that goes...

Del gives them some money to get something to eat, of course, because she wouldn't want to see them starve. You only have to look at some of them to see that they're not eating or being looked after remotely properly.

I could tell you stuff that goes on that would make your toes curl. That's why 'parents' like that simply don't deserve to be parents. Bring out those snips...

Marco.

Joe
15-06-2015, 14:51
It's funny how the people doling out advice on how to bring up children tend to be the ones without children. I suppose they've got the spare time to think about it, while the rest of us are busy raising the brats.

Marco
15-06-2015, 15:03
That's an old one, Joe. We were all kids once, whether we have kids of our own now or not, and so there's nothing stopping us judging the behaviour of parents today on what we experienced when we were growing up ourselves as kids.

Besides, through Del's work as a teacher, I'm exposed to the brutal reality of what goes on today in the life of many kids, to be entitled to make informed comment on it.

Marco.

Macca
15-06-2015, 15:09
I still smile sometimes remembering how our Headmaster told us new boys that the school's aim was to turn us (surly Scousers) into 'Young Christian gentlemen'. We spent the lunch hour calling each other 'Justin' and 'Tarquin' in what we thought were 'posh' voices.

That's what would have hapened at my school except the headmaster was not so naieve. Even so kids who arrived 'talking posh' soon had it knocked out of them. Wheras a rough kid sent to a posh school soon ends up taking like Justin and Tarquin otherwise he gets beaten up by them.

Then he goes home for the holidays and gets beaten up by his former mates for talking posh.

Crap being a kid really, I have no idea why anyone would regard schooldays as 'the best years of your life'.

julesd68
15-06-2015, 15:15
When I arrived 'up North' from 'down Sarf' and was talking 'posh' some kids thought it was hilarious ... Soon after starting in my new school I flipped one day with the most persistent offender and layed into him. Nobody bothered me after that, not about the way I spoke at least ...

Marco
15-06-2015, 15:18
Crap being a kid really, I have no idea why anyone would regard schooldays as 'the best years of your life'.

Well, there we differ yet again! I loved my schooldays - almost every aspect of them, apart from, for a while, being forced to do 'home economics', which I detested with a passion. In our house, the only person who went near the cooker was mum! ;)

Marco.

Joe
15-06-2015, 15:25
That's what would have hapened at my school except the headmaster was not so naieve. Even so kids who arrived 'talking posh' soon had it knocked out of them. Wheras a rough kid sent to a posh school soon ends up taking like Justin and Tarquin otherwise he gets beaten up by them.

Then he goes home for the holidays and gets beaten up by his former mates for talking posh.

Not the 'best years', really, which is just as well given there's another 60+ years to get through once you leave.

I only lost my Scouse accent when I went to university, when it was a case of needs must as no-one could understand a word I said. I like listening to Paul O'Grady on the radio sometimes, as he talks just how I used to.

Macca
15-06-2015, 15:59
Never had much of an accent myself as my father was from abroad and my mum was aspiring working-class and so tried to talk posh all the time. (Interestingly, when in a stres situation she reverts to an Irish rather than a Scouse accent).

Joe
15-06-2015, 16:06
Never had much of an accent myself as my father was from abroad and my mum was aspiring working-class and so tried to talk posh all the time. (Interestingly, when in a stres situation she reverts to an Irish rather than a Scouse accent).

My mother had a posh phone voice, which she always denied. When she and her siblings got together it was like Paddy's Market. My cousin and I taped one of their boozy reminiscences, but sadly the tape's long gone missing. One key point in their conversation was about 'going down the bagwash with a twopenny-ha'penny box of Oxydol'.

My father was from abroad too - he was Scottish. He never said much though, and he worked shifts so wasn't around a lot of the time.

The Black Adder
15-06-2015, 16:10
I used to love home economics... lol - we cooked and did pish all else... we adareyt-laff.

Joe
15-06-2015, 16:15
I used to love home economics... lol - we cooked and did pish all else... we adareyt-laff.

We had nothing poncey like home economics. It was proper manly stuff like woodwork, until someone burnt the workshop down, but by then we'd moved on to the O level syllabus, and we had no time for non-academic fripperies.

walpurgis
15-06-2015, 16:28
We had nothing poncey like home economics. It was proper manly stuff like woodwork, until someone burnt the workshop down, but by then we'd moved on to the O level syllabus, and we had no time for non-academic fripperies.

Ha. We had a boathouse that was the pride and joy of the woodwork teacher (he and some of his 'favourites' made the boats). That burned down one night. The culprits turned out to be a brother and sister who were the least likely 'goodie goodie' sorts (we never sussed that one out). Dunno why we had a boathouse, being ten miles from any navigable water.

Marco
15-06-2015, 20:23
One key point in their conversation was about 'going down the bagwash with a twopenny-ha'penny box of Oxydol'.

Lol - what the fook is that?

Marco.

struth
15-06-2015, 20:28
The laundry. and soap powder

Marco
15-06-2015, 21:15

I hated it and used to come home with some right 'creations', especially when baking cakes, which I'd bring home, my mum would take one look at and say, in Italian, words to the effect of: 'what else should I do with that but chuck it in the bin?' :D

Marco.

Marco
15-06-2015, 21:16
The laundry. and soap powder

Ah I see, sounds like a foreign language, alang the lines o' the pish we chunter oan aboot! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Joe
15-06-2015, 22:19
Ah I see, sounds like a foreign language, alang the lines o' the pish we chunter oan aboot! :eyebrows:

Marco.

I had Scouse dialect from my mother's family, and Scottish dialect from my father. Usually I managed to work out what they both meant. My father had a beautiful singing voice (which I have definitely not inherited) and used to sing us to sleep with songs like 'Ye Banks and Braes' and 'Roaming in the Gloaming".

Marco
15-06-2015, 22:59
Lol - most interesting. Was he a fan of Jimmy Shand?

Marco.

Joe
16-06-2015, 08:05
Lol - most interesting. Was he a fan of Jimmy Shand?

Marco.

Indeed he was. In fact a Jimmy Shand record was the only LP he ever bought.

Marco
16-06-2015, 10:25
Thought he might have been :)

Marco.

Anthony K
20-06-2015, 18:52
A piano teacher friend of mine has a pupil named Midnight Sparkle, some parents need a good clout

Tarzan
21-06-2015, 23:01

What Audio?:drinking:

Marco
23-06-2015, 08:27
Hi Andy,

Could you please reply to the PM I've sent you at your earliest convenience? Many thanks. However, you may wish to have a chat first with Al before you do :)

Marco.