PDA

View Full Version : Record cleaning devices - cheap = case economy?

Phil Lawton
14-06-2015, 12:43
Just mulling over the purchase of a vinyl cleaning machine.

I've seen the range of machines and have to ask if buying one of the cheaper ones (typically £50-70) would prove to be a false economy. Should I simply bite the bullet and get a VPI machine?

Ali Tait
14-06-2015, 12:48
Go for one of these-

http://maquinaphk.xpg.uol.com.br/models.html

You need to use your own vacuum cleaner, but it does as good a job as any of the more pricey machines IMHO.

I've found this to be the best of the cleaning fluids I've tried-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Right-One-Vinyl-Record-Cleaning-Fluid-/271742119914?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4517afea

struth
14-06-2015, 12:51
Depends on how much vinyl you have and intend to have tbh but the vacuum ones are in a different league to the cheap ones that imo are worse than none unless you are careful. it is a big outlay so you need to feel youve got enough use for it or youd be better just sending a few away to be cleaned now and then

Gordon Steadman
14-06-2015, 12:51

I've seen the range of machines and have to ask if buying one of the cheaper ones (typically £50-70) would prove to be a false economy. Should I simply bite the bullet and get a VPI machine?
Yes!

If you mean the dip and rinse machines then they are a total waste of money.....in my opinion of course. I am having to reclean all the records I did previously with one of them. Washing them in the sink with washing up liquid is at least as good. A friend is about to lend me a proper one so I can get all mine done over the next month or so.

Good ones are expensive but so is the record collection.

Barry
14-06-2015, 13:03
Phil, if your record collection is 200 LPs or larger, the purchase of a decent RCM makes economic sense, for the simple reason that you can use it over and over again. To have your records cleaned by an audio dealer who may posses such a machine usually cost about £2 a go, so if you purchase one yourself for ~ £400, you will have paid for it and still have the machine to clean further LPs (yours, as well as those of your friends. :))

Audio Al
14-06-2015, 13:23
If you can stretch your budget I would advise a Moth RCM , You can buy a kit or a factory built unit
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTH-RCM-2-RECORD-CLEANING-MACHINE-DIY-KIT-/271899451503?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4e78606f

and
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTH-RCM-2-RECORD-CLEANING-MACHINE-BEST-BUY-AWARD-/331580753976?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d33c0c838

My Moth does the job better than the Okki Nokki I had previously :)

JohnMcC
14-06-2015, 15:24
I've been using a cheap Disco Antistat for the last year and I've cleaned over 200 LPs with it. I've had excellent results, but I worked out the following method after less successful results from the first dozen or two:
1) make your own cleaning fluid by the litre - it's cheaper and more effective. I use 90% - 92% distilled deionised water, 8% - 10% isopropyl alcohol, with a few drops of Sainsbury's basic dishwasher rinse aid - say half a teaspoon max in one litre;
2) throw the liquid away after cleaning 10 - 15 records;
3) if you only clean a few records and want to retain the liquid, filter it through a ground coffee filter paper in a small funnel - the filter supplied with the Antistat is useless;
4) keep the level of liquid just above the brushes;
5) let the record sit in the liquid for a minute or two, turning it through 120° every 30 seconds;
6) then turn record swiftly for 10 revolutions each way;
7) allow records to dry naturally on the supplied rack for an hour at least;
8) when completely dry, slip each disc into a brand new plastic-lined inner sleeve - not just a paper one.

For me the results are spectacular - almost silent surfaces (apart from scratches, of course) and a stylus which almost never needs cleaning (I use either an AT95E or AT120E).

gsq4848
14-06-2015, 15:42
I use the Spin Clean, no doubt not as good as a RCM - nor would I expect it to be for £80 or so. It improves playback, on some records more successfully than others. Generally pleased with the results though.

Oddball
14-06-2015, 16:30
I use a couple of Knostis .
One that has hottish tap water (not that hard our water) in it ,with some liquid soap (not Fairy) and the other with clean iso - prop and distilled water .
I change the cleaning liquid as many times as I feel it needs it before finally rinsing in the clean rinse solution, which hopefully means I don't get any streaking

I have a couple of cases of albums left in an unheated but dry room and they have small areas of mould or something on them.

So its painful , but I have had some excellent results ! You need to be in a good mood to do a load:)

But I would love to make my own machine , and might just have a go when I am feeling creative

Gazjam
14-06-2015, 17:38
This. :)

Go for one of these-

http://maquinaphk.xpg.uol.com.br/models.html

You need to use your own vacuum cleaner, but it does as good a job as any of the more pricey machines IMHO.

I've found this to be the best of the cleaning fluids I've tried-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Right-One-Vinyl-Record-Cleaning-Fluid-/271742119914?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4517afea

You can spend hundreds of pounds more on "proper" machines, but your records wont be night and day cleaner...or maybe even cleaner at all.
I've the same machine and fluid as Ali and even dusty charity shop specials come out dead silent and mirror black.
Even brand new LPs sound better after a clean as the mould release agent is washed and hoovered off.

cookstown
15-06-2015, 13:57
I've been using a cheap Disco Antistat for the last year and I've cleaned over 200 LPs with it. I've had excellent results, but I worked out the following method after less successful results from the first dozen or two:
1) make your own cleaning fluid by the litre - it's cheaper and more effective. I use 90% - 92% distilled deionised water, 8% - 10% isopropyl alcohol, with a few drops of Sainsbury's basic dishwasher rinse aid - say half a teaspoon max in one litre;
3) if you only clean a few records and want to retain the liquid, filter it through a ground coffee filter paper in a small funnel - the filter supplied with the Antistat is useless;
5) let the record sit in the liquid for a minute or two, turning it through 120° every 30 seconds;
8) when completely dry, slip each disc into a brand new plastic-lined inner sleeve - not just a paper one.

For me the results are spectacular - almost silent surfaces (apart from scratches, of course) and a stylus which almost never needs cleaning (I use either an AT95E or AT120E).

Totally agree John, I use the same system & results are excellent. Thanks for the coffee filter hint.

Phil Lawton
15-06-2015, 13:58
Thanks, all...still chewing it over.

I do see the odd RPI machine on eBay for fairly good prices, but I'm tempted to give one of the cheaper options a go first.

Phil Lawton
15-06-2015, 13:59

And thanks for this, John...I'll head in this direction first, I think.

Just one more question...isopropyl alcohol...where would I buy that from?

Haselsh1
15-06-2015, 15:03
You can get IPA from Amazon by a company that sells on there. I buy a litre at a time but I use a 20% solution in 80% high purity deionised water. This makes it dry much quicker but has no adverse effect on your vinyl.

Joe
15-06-2015, 16:25
Two things to bear in mind:

1) Cleaning records is one of the most boring activities known to mankind.

2) Record cleaning machines are VERY NOISY. So noisy that I'd suggest using some form of ear protection.

stevied
15-06-2015, 17:40
Two things to bear in mind:

1) Cleaning records is one of the most boring activities known to mankind.

2) Record cleaning machines are VERY NOISY. So noisy that I'd suggest using some form of ear protection.

Not all record cleaning machines are noisy,i can listen to a record while cleaning one no problem.

I have a Loricraft machine.

agree on point 1

JohnMcC
15-06-2015, 22:52
Maplin sell isopropyl alcohol in tin cans at £15 per litre. Don't bother with their 400ml size though. One litre gives you 10 of cleaning fluid when diluted.

carruthersesq
16-06-2015, 12:01
This. :)

You can spend hundreds of pounds more on "proper" machines, but your records wont be night and day cleaner...or maybe even cleaner at all.
I've the same machine and fluid as Ali and even dusty charity shop specials come out dead silent and mirror black.
Even brand new LPs sound better after a clean as the mould release agent is washed and hoovered off.

I too have the same machine after receiving advice from Ali. Does a great job. I just need to do more cleaning!!

struth
16-06-2015, 13:30
And thanks for this, John...I'll head in this direction first, I think.

Just one more question...isopropyl alcohol...where would I buy that from?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-X-5-LITRE-L-ISOPROPYL-ALCOHOL-99-9-IPA-Isopropanol-TAMPERPROOF-CAPS-/251257851755?hash=item3a80228f6b

good value and good seller

Ammonite Audio
16-06-2015, 14:02
There's an interesting looking article over at TNT, comparing a number of higher-end record cleaning machines. Part 1 is at http://www.tnt-audio.com/shows/highendshow2015_rcm1_e.html . The comparison appears to be limited to LPs cleaned at the Munich Show, but worth following nevertheless.

struth
16-06-2015, 14:27
Doesnt seem to have made all that much of a leap forward in time and in many cases noise just in price...Not so sure the ultra sonic approach is a safe one for vinyl over and above a single clean imo.
I think i will persevere with my moth. seems to work well still and takes less time and is way cheaper. be nice to see his results though when you get them Hugo

Phil Lawton
17-06-2015, 08:09
Thanks again, chaps.

Phil Lawton
20-07-2015, 07:48
I had an album I could afford to ruin with experimentation, so tried a suggestion from a contributor here, i.e. the (very) cheap and (very) cheerful option of warm water, washing up liquid, microfiber cloth and a rinse.

I'm staggered at the results from such a simple act...I turned something that would have play-graded as 'good' (at the absolute best) to just about 'near mint'...a real result, as the item I was sacrificing had been a hugely disappointing £15 purchase from a record fair.

Definitely buying a machine.

topoxforddoc
20-07-2015, 09:43
Anyone with a serious vinyl set up should invest in a proper vacuum RCM. Whilst the high end Loricraft, Keith Minks and Audiodesk might be better at cleaning than a Moth, Okki Nokki, VPI, the difference is pretty marginal. If you don't vacuum the dirty liquid off, it will dry and deposit some (but not all) of the gunk back into the grooves.

struth
20-07-2015, 09:56
Im always amazed at the improvement i! even a brand new vinyl when its been cleaned on my moth..imo it was one of my best ever buys.

daytona600
20-07-2015, 16:27
Anyone with a serious vinyl set up should invest in a proper vacuum RCM. Whilst the high end Loricraft, Keith Minks and Audiodesk might be better at cleaning than a Moth, Okki Nokki, VPI, the difference is pretty marginal. If you don't vacuum the dirty liquid off, it will dry and deposit some (but not all) of the gunk back into the grooves.

Agree RCM 100% essential component if you buy Vinyl use a both a Audiodesk & Loricraft
if you can,t afford £1000-£2000 to clean your records
how about one for £200

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?35662-Vacuum-RCM-for-under-%A3200&highlight=record+doctor

Box13
20-07-2015, 16:58

No.
Save your money.
A good cleaner for your computer screen will serve with a freshly laundered handkerchief.
This is of course my personal opinion and I am not decrying anyone who likes to spend on their chief interest.

nuff
20-07-2015, 19:15
I made my own for very little money. I bought the motor recommended on PFM for £12.95. I bought some 22mm overflow pipe and elbows from screw fix. I used these on the vacuum tube
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moth-Record-Cleaning-Machine-Replacement-Felt-Pads-pack-of-4-/231136159005?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35d0c9e51d

The results are brilliant! Much better than my knosti disco antistat, in fact I sold that after which paid for everything!

Take a look here.
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=161218

Box13
21-07-2015, 05:30
I made my own for very little money. I bought the motor recommended on PFM for £12.95. I bought some 22mm overflow pipe and elbows from screw fix. I used these on the vacuum tube
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moth-Record-Cleaning-Machine-Replacement-Felt-Pads-pack-of-4-/231136159005?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35d0c9e51d

The results are brilliant! Much better than my knosti disco antistat, in fact I sold that after which paid for everything!

Take a look here.

Very clever.

Box13
21-07-2015, 05:30

Take a look here.

Very clever.

oceanobsession
25-07-2015, 21:30
I use a miele to vacuum my records you can adjust the vacuum suction , if you like , sucking up liquid from a record its simple and can be cheap with a bit of diy phil.

Tarzan
26-07-2015, 06:43

ln my experience false economy all day long- get a VPI, Moth RCM.:)

JohnMcC
27-07-2015, 09:39
I simply don't understand this "false economy" argument and this is why. All my LPs went into cardboard boxes in my garage about 10 years ago, where they sat gathering dust, with some of the sleeves mouldering with damp, until last year when I bought a new turntable. My son had given me imported virgin copies of the "Flying Pickets Live At The Albany Empire" and Ian Dury's "4000 Weeks holiday" and I decided it was time to get back into vinyl. It was clear that most of my record collection was filthy, so I looked on the web and decided I'd try - yes, for cheapness - a Disco Antistat which Amazon were knocking out for about £40. Initially disappointed at the uselessness of the supplied cleaning fluid after about 5 discs and the totally useless filter supplied, I found a recipe on the net and started making my own - 90% distilled water, 10% iso alcohol, and a few drops of wetting agent - and used coffee filter papers in an ordinary funnel instead of the supplied rubbish.

I have now cleaned around 250 LPs with the Antistat. And they are clean - really! Any noise is surface damage - otherwise silence (apart from cutting lathe rumble on some recordings). The stylus on my AT120e almost never needs cleaning. I don't understand what better results I would have achieved by spending £400 instead of £40. Admittedly my TT/arm/cartridge isn't what you would call high-end, but it gives me huge satisfaction, and I've had a lot more money to spend on music. Which is what it's all about for me.:)

gsq4848
01-08-2015, 18:23
I've just taken the plunge, clicked the button and purchased an Okki Nokki. Redeeming some 39,000 Nectar points against the purchase price helped with the domestic negotiations :) Up until now, I've been by and large satisfied with my Spin Clean. But one record in particular has swayed me. Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World - despite numerous cleans and visually the record being in excellent condition it always played disappointingly with enough background noise to somewhat spoil the listening experience. After having the album cleaned on a vacuum cleaner at an Audio shop the difference on playback was impressive with the background noise all but gone. Hopefully the Okki Nokki will prove a worthwhile purchase - I'd been collecting those Nectar points for years!

Oddball
04-08-2015, 22:26
I simply don't understand this "false economy" argument and this is why. All my LPs went into cardboard boxes in my garage about 10 years ago, where they sat gathering dust, with some of the sleeves mouldering with damp, until last year when I bought a new turntable. My son had given me imported virgin copies of the "Flying Pickets Live At The Albany Empire" and Ian Dury's "4000 Weeks holiday" and I decided it was time to get back into vinyl. It was clear that most of my record collection was filthy, so I looked on the web and decided I'd try - yes, for cheapness - a Disco Antistat which Amazon were knocking out for about £40. Initially disappointed at the uselessness of the supplied cleaning fluid after about 5 discs and the totally useless filter supplied, I found a recipe on the net and started making my own - 90% distilled water, 10% iso alcohol, and a few drops of wetting agent - and used coffee filter papers in an ordinary funnel instead of the supplied rubbish.

I have now cleaned around 250 LPs with the Antistat. And they are clean - really! Any noise is surface damage - otherwise silence (apart from cutting lathe rumble on some recordings). The stylus on my AT120e almost never needs cleaning. I don't understand what better results I would have achieved by spending £400 instead of £40. Admittedly my TT/arm/cartridge isn't what you would call high-end, but it gives me huge satisfaction, and I've had a lot more money to spend on music. Which is what it's all about for me.:)
Very much my experience !! Horses for courses

struth
04-08-2015, 23:07
I've just taken the plunge, clicked the button and purchased an Okki Nokki. Redeeming some 39,000 Nectar points against the purchase price helped with the domestic negotiations :) Up until now, I've been by and large satisfied with my Spin Clean. But one record in particular has swayed me. Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World - despite numerous cleans and visually the record being in excellent condition it always played disappointingly with enough background noise to somewhat spoil the listening experience. After having the album cleaned on a vacuum cleaner at an Audio shop the difference on playback was impressive with the background noise all but gone. Hopefully the Okki Nokki will prove a worthwhile purchase - I'd been collecting those Nectar points for years!

Nice one Gary. Never collected them, but wishing I had now :) .... The vacuum cleaning with good fluid is essential in my opinion(others have legitimate differing experiences). I make my own fluids now and find that even new audiophile pressings are transformed by a clean before playing.

Stratmangler
04-08-2015, 23:12
... and find that even new audiophile pressings are transformed by a clean before playing.

How do you know? :ner:

I thought it prudent to remove the reference to you making your own fluids. Don't we all? :eek:

struth
04-08-2015, 23:18
How do you know? :ner:

I thought it prudent to remove the reference to you making your own fluids. Don't we all? :eek:

experience Chris.I used to play them and find noise. then clean and no noise, so now just clean them. as for my "own fluids"; its about the the only fluid I can make now alas:eek:

Audio Advent
08-08-2015, 01:19
God, this thread took a turn for the worse :spew:

RichB
08-08-2015, 01:31
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Karcher-WV2-Generation-Window-Cleaner/dp/B00Q8KPFJM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438997096&sr=8-2&keywords=karcher+window+vac

I've just bought one of these Karcher window vacuum things for cleaning our new walk in shower, with a bit of microfibre cloth over the silicone blade I reckon it will do a superb job for cleaning the records, its not a steam device so no heat. It cleans the glass up a treat and sucks all the moisture away.

And its probably the most wife approved hifi purchase I've ever made... she loves it I'm taking an interest in keeping our new home improvements clean. Of course I didn't mention the ulterior motive.:lol:

Audio Advent
08-08-2015, 01:34
There's an interesting looking article over at TNT, comparing a number of higher-end record cleaning machines. Part 1 is at http://www.tnt-audio.com/shows/highendshow2015_rcm1_e.html . The comparison appears to be limited to LPs cleaned at the Munich Show, but worth following nevertheless.

But I would love to make my own machine , and might just have a go when I am feeling creative

Look at the ultrasonic devices in that TNT article..... And then note Kuzma's version at 'only' $1000. It's like Kuzma's is secretly trying to show everyone what a rip-off the others are whilst still playing the same rip-off game so as not to be found out as a grass..

The Kuzma looks like this:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/jpg/munich15/highendshow2015_rcm_04.jpg

But really you pay $1000 for these bits which could be made of any old scrap wood and a slow geared motor if you wanted to go DIY (I wouldn't pay more than £70 for those parts.. start with a rotisserie grill motor http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Greek-Cypriot-Barbecue-Rotisserie-Spit-Battery-Motor-for-Foukou-BBQ-Grill/231642934954):

http://www.kuzma.si/modules/uploader/uploads/s_product/pictures/1.2.0.-rb-cleaning-kit.jpg

The other manufacturers mentioned appear to add an extra $1000+ on top of that for some fancy looking cladding and their own control panels.

So, DIY looks to be pretty easy with an ultrasonic cleaner, probably just as easy as constructing a Moth RCM kit and still come in cheaper!

Phil Lawton
12-08-2015, 15:04
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Karcher-WV2-Generation-Window-Cleaner/dp/B00Q8KPFJM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438997096&sr=8-2&keywords=karcher+window+vac

I've just bought one of these Karcher window vacuum things for cleaning our new walk in shower, with a bit of microfibre cloth over the silicone blade I reckon it will do a superb job for cleaning the records, its not a steam device so no heat. It cleans the glass up a treat and sucks all the moisture away.

And its probably the most wife approved hifi purchase I've ever made... she loves it I'm taking an interest in keeping our new home improvements clean. Of course I didn't mention the ulterior motive.:lol:

That's a clever idea...did it work?

Brilliant, in fact...they come with a narrow head attachment and microfiber pads.

Rechargeable, rather than mains-powered, so mountable on a home made rig...I can envisage it already.

Rothchild
14-08-2015, 13:38
I took delivery of my Nano Meco yesterday and spent some of the evening cleaning records.

It's definitely a case of function over form but I can confirm that vacuum record cleaning is everything it's been cracked up to be!

I was actually using it with my spin clean, so I get it wet with a few turns each way in the spin clean, then transfer it to the nano meco give it a further loop under the brush and apply the vacuum. So far I'm totally made up with the results.

Now given that the spin clean wasn't that cheap to start with it's still not a super budget solution but it is way better than the spin clean alone (it seems to have salvaged a Ronnie Jordon, charity shop, record that the spin clean alone seemed to manage to make worse!)

Phil Lawton
16-08-2015, 16:30
Yes, the Nano Meco is what I'm looking at, but if anyone has a spare Moth or Okki or similar, please give me a nudge.

Barry
18-08-2015, 09:19
But I would love to make my own machine, and might just have a go when I am feeling creative

Have a look here (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?29230-A-DIY-RCM). :)

gsq4848
20-08-2015, 16:22
Yes, the Nano Meco is what I'm looking at, but if anyone has a spare Moth or Okki or similar, please give me a nudge.

Is this of interest? I've also posted the link on the e-bay listings thread.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kit-Built-MOTH-Vinyl-Record-Cleaning-Machine-Working-with-Fluid-Pads-and-Manual-/221858130927?hash=item33a7c66bef

Phil Lawton
22-08-2015, 18:53
Bugger...missed it - that'll teach me to log in every day.

Is this of interest? I've also posted the link on the e-bay listings thread.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kit-Built-MOTH-Vinyl-Record-Cleaning-Machine-Working-with-Fluid-Pads-and-Manual-/221858130927?hash=item33a7c66bef

bbbiker800
26-08-2015, 16:17
Thats an interesting idea RichB - can't see why no ones thought or progressed it before. Have you tried it yet ?

Oddball
03-09-2015, 10:20
Yes , come on Rich , you must have given it a go by now???

That would be ideal with my Knosti . I prefer my records to be soaked several times in ordinary warm to quite hot , tap water and plenty of Dreft liquid as a surfactant .
I feel it is essential to give any solids , like dried beer :eyebrows: , or mould ,a chance to get lifted first , and the Knosti brushes work both ways if you reverse direction a few times !

The hand vac mounted on an arm over an old TT ,would be a great thing if it works as well on vinyl as the window licker reviews give it :cool:

Oddball
03-09-2015, 10:21
Yes , come on Rich , you must have given it a go by now??? :)

That would be ideal with my Knosti . I prefer my records to be soaked several times in ordinary warm to quite hot , tap water and plenty of Dreft liquid as a surfactant .
Then into the other bath with proper mixed fluid
I feel it is essential to give any solids , like dried beer :eyebrows: , or mould ,a chance to get lifted first , and the Knosti brushes work both ways if you reverse direction a few times !

The hand vac mounted on an arm over an old TT ,would be a great thing if it works as well on vinyl as the window licker reviews give it :cool:

gsq4848
10-09-2015, 16:22
Nice one Gary. Never collected them, but wishing I had now :) .... The vacuum cleaning with good fluid is essential in my opinion(others have legitimate differing experiences). I make my own fluids now and find that even new audiophile pressings are transformed by a clean before playing.

I started off with the supplied cleaner Grant and have just moved across to Paul's The Right One - which has done a smashing job on Madonna's debut album (a recent £1 car boot acquisition - some might say I overpaid!).