PDA

View Full Version : USB leads

Marktdac
12-09-2009, 21:14
Do the lengh and quality of usb leads going to a Dac effect the sound in any way ,if so what size makes do u recomend

Thanks Mark:cool:

Stratmangler
12-09-2009, 22:42
No !

Chris:)

Stratmangler
12-09-2009, 22:43
Actually no is too simple an answer.

They should be USB2 capable cables.

Clive
12-09-2009, 22:45
I do find that going via an active repeater gives a different sound, not necessarily worse but different.

Alex_UK
12-09-2009, 23:03
Just a "decent" usb 2.0 cable should suffice - I've been using a Belkin Signature one with no issues - well built, gold plated and led either end to indicate connectivity (blue, to match the Caiman ;) ) Belkin Signature Series USB (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=266664)

VERY cheap Here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Belkin-Signature-premium-Series-USB-2-0-Cable-1-8m-NEW_W0QQitemZ170375016005QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Com puting_USB_Cables?hash=item27ab246e45&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14) on ebay

Marktdac
12-09-2009, 23:13
Surley useing and active repeater should help on long runs ,after all its data going down the USB lead whether its being used for a printer /fax or a Dac

The better the signal the Dacs gets the better it sounds

I am currently useing one side of an interconnect to connect cd player to dac via coaxial out/in, never realised thats not right so have ordered the right 75ohm lead

So if it makes a differnce on coaxial connection surley a repeated/amplied signal on a long run USB lead should make the world of difference ?

Stratmangler
12-09-2009, 23:32
USB is not an audio specific connection. I would not recommend putting audio through USB cables of more than 5m.

Marktdac
12-09-2009, 23:39
Thats exactly what i mean theres data traveling through a usb cable ,the longer the cable the more the data starts to degrade.

So useing a booster should be benificial especially when ur gettin into a long enough runs for the data to become degraded?

NRG
12-09-2009, 23:51
I've posted this before, the USB spec has a 'stream pipe' mode that differes from everyday data traffic. Stream pipe is isochronous transmission of time dependant data for stream such as audio and video. Delivery is not guaranteed and there is no data retry in the event of lost packets but there is CRC protection of each packet. So it could be argued it's much more of an 'audio' interface than SPDIF, which I read, was initial intended for use in the Lab as a quick n dirty test interface....

Although there's no recovery of data in this mode the data packets are CRC protected as I said and given the differential signalling design of USB it should / may provide a much more reliable and accurate data stream than SPDIF. Compare the two and SPDIF looks much more like a single ended FM data stream with poor / minimal single bit parity protection and variable impedance issues due to the use of phono connectors...

The only thing I can think that would make a difference between USB cables is if there is an interference problem and the shielding is better in one cable than the other. USB 2 cables are better in this respect as USB 2 supports a high speed transmission mode and therefore requires the better shielding.

Marktdac
13-09-2009, 08:41
So is there a physical difference between usb 1 usb 2 cables?and is a booster or a usb hub benificial? clive can u explain further?

mark:cool:

DSJR
13-09-2009, 10:22
USB is not an audio specific connection. I would not recommend putting audio through USB cables of more than 5m.

No, it ISN'T an "audio" connection, it's a streaming DIGITAL one and this cable would be delivering a digital data stream, not an audio signal. Slightly different rukes apply and as long as there is proper sheilding and the cable meets the correct spec in the correct lengths I doubt anyone could reliably tell any difference at all.

Belkin seem to make good cables and I'd stick with them to be honest...

NRG
13-09-2009, 10:30
So is there a physical difference between usb 1 usb 2 cables?and is a booster or a usb hub benificial? clive can u explain further?

mark:cool:

Yes, USB 2 cables will be certified for Hi-speed use and be shielded. However, a well designed USB1.1 cable may also work in hi-speed mode but then again it may not... ;)

This is all probably irrelevant anyhow as I doubt you can still buy 'USB 1.1' cables as all will be USB2.0 now....the choice comes down to buying from a well known and reliable manufacturer who's cables will meet the spec or from the cheapest iffy Ebay source you can find who's cables may or may not meet the spec...

Marktdac
13-09-2009, 12:23
So what about lengh of USB from dac to laptop ,could get away with 4m across carpet ,but thats not very practical so 6m hidden way would be best

Mark

Clive
13-09-2009, 13:33
So what about lengh of USB from dac to laptop ,could get away with 4m across carpet ,but thats not very practical so 6m hidden way would be best

Mark
Over 5m you need an active repeater, indeed you probably can't buy a USB cable longer than 5m as that exceeds the spec.

Marktdac
13-09-2009, 21:04
Ok thanks will bare that in mind when buying a lead

Mark