PDA

View Full Version : USB 'B' plug problem.

hornucopia
11-06-2015, 14:06
Having just got a nice new (to me) Onkyo Dock, I was trying the usb input.....but, once in, the plug was STUCK!!
(Annoyingly as it's a B-A wire and I needed a B to Mini!)
Anyone ever had this problem-and....solved it?
Certainly it's well stuck-pulling doesn't shift it and there's no way I'm taking pliers to it, for fear of damaging the dock!

I've found an adaptor on-line, for Female A to Mini, which solves my dilemma, but.....IS there a way to get the wire loose I haven't thought of (and.....what makes it stick there?)

mikmas
11-06-2015, 14:21
Are you talking about the big B plug or the newer micro B (for USB 3.0) ??

awkwardbydesign
11-06-2015, 15:12
WD40. It won't hurt anything.

mikmas
11-06-2015, 16:03
WD40. It won't hurt anything.

I never use the stuff - it's chemical crap that certainly can harm plastics (but does make great glue for dust)

hornucopia
11-06-2015, 16:29
Big B plug.

WD40, huh....
Looking at another 'B' plug, it does had little 'lugs' on the outer case, but they don't look big enough to resist pulling!

AlanS
11-06-2015, 16:31
Overcome your fear and take pliers to plug. Why should the dock be damaged by pulling the plug?

I am assuming you have used pliers before? So if you pull in the same direction as the plug went in and don't go waggling it up and down or left to right in frustration, just apply a slow steadily increasing pull I cannot think what on earth can go wrong. A calm, controlled pull.

You think too much

Andrei
11-06-2015, 16:32
I think WD40 or CRC etc ususally come with an attachment so you can direct spray accurately. I guess you could also apply it with a cotton bud.

awkwardbydesign
11-06-2015, 17:58
I never use the stuff - it's chemical crap that certainly can harm plastics (but does make great glue for dust)

Well, I use it for removing glue from all sorts of plastic items, CD cases for example, and never noticed any problems. And motorbike parts with rubber and plastic seals.
Oh, I just read this - "WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40."
But CD jewel cases seem to be OK.

spendorman
11-06-2015, 18:17
I seem to remember reading that WD-40 contains white spirit and oil.

I have used it since it was called Rocket WD-40, a long time, many decades. Only once did I have trouble, with a sort of nylon fitting. The WD-40 expanded it slightly.

The formulation could well have changed since all those years ago though.

hornucopia
11-06-2015, 18:48
AlanS wins today's 'Kudos!' prize for his suggestion.
Pliers rule!
Who'd have thought a little metal lug (which is what it was) could prove so resistant?

mikmas
11-06-2015, 19:02
Oh, I just read this - "WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40."

Yep - the manufacturer does make that claim, which makes it OK I guess...

I used to use it when I worked on cars ... great for freeing rusted bolts and degreasing (sometimes). Anything else than what it was made for is just hit and miss - sometimes it works, other times a complete disaster

AlanS
11-06-2015, 19:05
Pliers rule!
Who'd have thought a little metal lug (which is what it was) could prove so resistant?

Nice one.Took it steady and won eh. Hope the next cable is less hassle.

ATB

awkwardbydesign
11-06-2015, 19:47
Pliers rule!

Well, I guess brute force IS the other option. :D