PDA

View Full Version : Battery Powered Caimanised 7520.

DaveK
12-09-2009, 16:50
Hi Guys,
I'll start this post by saying that I asked Stan's opinion on this a few days ago and he advised me not to proceed as he had received reports that there was no benefit to be had (or something like that :) , - I forget the exact words).
Nontheless, me being me, and armed with my new found soldering skills :lolsign: , I went ahead anyway.:smoking: and Stan provide the information on the plug/jack that I needed.
A few months ago I had my burglar alarm serviced and the technician doing it suggested I fit a new battery as the present one had been there since installation, 15 years ago. It is a small sealed lead acid one and my Maplin's multimeter indicated an output of 13.5v across the terminals.
So this morning I constructed a short lead with small crocodile clips on one end and the necessary jack plug on the other, plugged it in and switched on - I got two blue LEDs so, result;) .
I then briefly listened to a few moments of music from the PC (yes, it worked - another result :smoking: ) and based only on these few seconds, it sounded great - certainly no worse. I will give it a longer listen tonight and report back tomorrow.
Meanwhile, has anyone else done anything similar and, if so, what results did you get?
Cheers,

DSJR
12-09-2009, 17:09
Am I right in saying that some battery supplies give HF noise on the line?

There's nothing wrong with a wall-wart as long as it gives the correct voltage and current requirements and has a "clean" DC output. I understand that someone once "hid" a cheapish Maplin power supply in a Naim box and people listening didn't hear a significant difference between this and a HiCap.......

Covenant
12-09-2009, 18:34
I tried this with a 7510 and didn't find any improvement Dave. At least you havent wasted any money.

DaveK
12-09-2009, 19:32
I tried this with a 7510 and didn't find any improvement Dave. At least you havent wasted any money.

Hi Jerry,
Having listened for an hour or so tonight to the battery powered output, I have to agree with you. On the other hand, I don't think it was any worse either - I couldn't discern any difference.
Cheers,

DSJR
12-09-2009, 20:26
Then that means that these DAC's are properly designed - IMO of course... :gig: