PDA

View Full Version : Orbital - In Side

Haselsh1
05-06-2015, 14:20
A couple of days ago I had a bit of a music session involving Orbital on vinyl. The one album that impressed me the most was ‘In Side’ which is on three discs. Of the tracks on this album ‘Dwr Budr’ was quite clearly my favourite. After a gorgeous multi synth intro this track breaks up into a really fabulous Roland TB303 bassline which breaks and growls and snarls its way along. Towards the end of the piece there are some really nice Celtic, almost Enya-esque vocalisations which add to a really nice piece of techno/ambient music.
All in all it was a really satisfactory music session. I now have to give a serious listen to my TD160 with its brand new maple plinth courtesy of ‘Layers of Beauty’. From what I have heard so far, it sounds very promising.

Anthony K
05-06-2015, 17:38
Loved that album when it came out , was listening on cd recently
Snivilization was also a superb album by them

Jimbo
05-06-2015, 19:19
Superb album!:thumbsup:

Pete The Cat
05-06-2015, 21:39
Being an Orbital novice I only get as far as "Doctor ?" on the "Halcyon" compilation, in which I think they take the already excellent theme to another level.

More importantly on this occasion, may I compliment you on your photography having accidentally clicked on your website link.

Pete

Haselsh1
06-06-2015, 08:36
Being an Orbital novice I only get as far as "Doctor ?" on the "Halcyon" compilation, in which I think they take the already excellent theme to another level.

More importantly on this occasion, may I compliment you on your photography having accidentally clicked on your website link.

Pete

Pete, many thanks for the comment on the photography. I have been into photography since I was ten years old but only took to it seriously in 1988 when I moved to medium format film. I still use medium format film even now in the guise of a Mamiya RB67 and I still shoot almost exclusively mainly in black and white. As of today, I am moving away from photography and concentrating on music and hi-fi. I think that 45 years on one subject is way too long.

walpurgis
06-06-2015, 09:03
Pete, many thanks for the comment on the photography. I have been into photography since I was ten years old but only took to it seriously in 1988 when I moved to medium format film. I still use medium format film even now in the guise of a Mamiya RB67 and I still shoot almost exclusively mainly in black and white. As of today, I am moving away from photography and concentrating on music and hi-fi. I think that 45 years on one subject is way too long.

Bet you won't manage that! :)

I know. I said more or less the same, but the urge to use a camera is still there.

struth
06-06-2015, 09:09
Yeah I gave up sex after 45 years but still get the urge to handle a chick[emoji12]

Haselsh1
06-06-2015, 11:02
LOFL...

OK, to clarify then; I do still carry around a Pentax 645 loaded with my favourite film but these days I do not feel as though I am forced into constantly shooting photographs. I do not feel as though a limb is missing just because I haven't shot around three rolls of film. I do however feel as though a limb is missing if I go out without carrying a camera.

Truth is that I never want to work in a darkroom ever again. These days I love to scan my negatives using an Epson V700 and print them onto Permajet Delta paper. I have to admit, I have a weird passion for paper so choose to print onto very high quality papers and then get the results framed by a bespoke framer we have here in the town. The days of enthusing over exhibition grade chlorobromide photographic papers are long gone. I have now replaced that passion with cotton fibre, rough textured papers. I guess like all of us, I have moved on to a new way of expressing myself photographically.

I still say that 45 years with one main hobby is way too long. It's like being in one job for 45 years; it shows a distinct lack of ambition.

Thank you for your comments, they mean a lot to me.

walpurgis
06-06-2015, 11:57
I do however feel as though a limb is missing if I go out without carrying a camera.

Ha Ha. I know exactly what you mean :). I do rely on my old LG KC550 mobile as a camera mostly though. It takes surprisingly good pictures with its Schneider Kreuznache lens.

Haselsh1
06-06-2015, 14:48
Ha Ha. I know exactly what you mean :). I do rely on my old LG KC550 mobile as a camera mostly though. It takes surprisingly good pictures with its Schneider Kreuznache lens.

Yes Geoff, years ago I even went down the route of a Wista cherrywood field camera which used a Schneider 150mm lens and 5X4 inch Ilford FP4 film.The results were better than anything I have ever seen and better than anything I have ever done since but I simply cannot do with sticking my head under a black blanket in public. I love photography and I adore using film but there comes a time...

User211
07-06-2015, 09:01
Work 1989 - 2002 tracks 5 - 7. Loud. Good. Very.