PDA

View Full Version : Proper anti skate reading

clarkey555
02-06-2015, 15:35
Hi everybody just wondering if anybody can explain which reading I should use for anti skate a bit confusing 14881 cheers.

Marco
02-06-2015, 15:51
What does your cartridge track at, Peter? :)

Marco.

clarkey555
02-06-2015, 15:53
Hi Marco 1.8 gramme (2m red).

Barry
02-06-2015, 15:55
Hi everybody just wondering if anybody can explain which reading I should use for anti skate a bit confusing 14881 cheers.

The numbers on the anti-skating (bias) control correspond to the numbers on the the VTF (vertical tracking force), or playing weight control (where the numbers are the playing weight in grams).

So, for example, if you have set the playing weight to, say 2 gram, the bias control should also be set to '2'. In practice I find that for most arms the bias set in this way tends to be too high. Something like 50 - 80% of the playing weight is better; however to set the bias properly you will need to use an appropriate test record.

Marco
02-06-2015, 16:00
Hi Marco 1.8 gramme (2m red).

I'd go with 1.5 on the anti-skate then, mate. It's a 'suck it and see' thing, though. Like Barry says, the most accurate way is to use a test record.

However, 1.5 shouldn't be far off! :)

Marco.

clarkey555
02-06-2015, 16:08
Hi lads I know roughly what to set the anti skate to its the dial I cannot understand there is an inner reading and an outer reading on the jvc re the photo. :scratch:

walpurgis
02-06-2015, 16:12
Depends how old the TT is, but it may be that one set of markings is for elliptical styli and the other for conical.

Marco
02-06-2015, 16:15
Yeah, that is slightly confusing... One for Paul Stewart to answer. If it were me, I'd be setting the dial midway between the '1' and '2' position, shown in your picture, right in the gap between the two bold black horizontal lines.

Marco.

karma67
02-06-2015, 16:17
have a look over at vinylengine you may be able to download the original owners manual.
start here http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable-database.php?make=JVC&mdl=&sort=2&drive=any&ascdesc=ASC&motor=any&search=search&control=any&auto=any&changer=any

clarkey555
02-06-2015, 16:34
Cheers for advice guys going to go with Marcos suggestion and use the bold black reading. Ps Geoff yep that sounds about right thing is I don't know conical/epilectal reading and vinyl engine doesn't recognise my password so no joy there. Having used Marcos suggestion I am pretty happy for now sweet as just a bloody perfectionist that's all. Appreciated

karma67
02-06-2015, 16:38
what deck is it and i'll have a look for you. :)

clarkey555
02-06-2015, 16:50
Hi Jamie it's a jvc ql-y3f. Thanks bud.

karma67
02-06-2015, 18:50
i cant add the owners manual here as its too large,pm me your email address and i'll send it to you.
geoff was right as it states use the circle marked dial when using a spherical stylus and the other one for when using a shibata stylus.

PaulStewart
02-06-2015, 19:58
Cheers for advice guys going to go with Marcos suggestion and use the bold black reading. Ps Geoff yep that sounds about right thing is I don't know conical/epilectal reading and vinyl engine doesn't recognise my password so no joy there. Having used Marcos suggestion I am pretty happy for now sweet as just a bloody perfectionist that's all. Appreciated

Hi Peter,

IIRC the deck came from the factory, in those territories were it came with a cartridge, with a Z2s which had a spherical stylus. the inner, or solid black scale is for those and the outer or outline scale is for elliptical or line contact types, such as JVC's own Shibata profile. If you look at the end of the scale on the knob in question, there will be a dot for spherical and and an ellipse for line contact etc. this will tell you which to use. My excuse for not remembering is that it was a bloody long time ago :(

BTW what cartrige are you intending to use with it?

clarkey555
03-06-2015, 07:38
Hi Peter,

IIRC the deck came from the factory, in those territories were it came with a cartridge, with a Z2s which had a spherical stylus. the inner, or solid black scale is for those and the outer or outline scale is for elliptical or line contact types, such as JVC's own Shibata profile. If you look at the end of the scale on the knob in question, there will be a dot for spherical and and an ellipse for line contact etc. this will tell you which to use. My excuse for not remembering is that it was a bloody long time ago :(

BTW what cartrige are you intending to use with it?
Hi Paul thanks for that much needed information I am currently using an ortofon 2m red imo an excellent budget cartridge

clarkey555
03-06-2015, 07:58
Now sorted chaps thanks for all your help much appreciated:dance::dance::dance:

Barry
03-06-2015, 16:27
That's what AoS is all about. Glad you have it all sorted now Peter and are enjoying your system. :)

karma67
03-06-2015, 16:29
Now sorted chaps thanks for all your help much appreciated:dance::dance::dance:

happy to have helped. :)