PDA

View Full Version : Korus server outputs

orbscure
02-06-2015, 15:09
Hi all.

I have a quick couple of Korus related questions and wondered if anybody here can help:

1. When I removed the PPA Studio USB card and replaced it with the Asus Xonar Essence STX II soundcard, I can't remember, but would the PPA Studio card have been powered by a molex female connector or does it get its power from the mini PCI slot?

2. Is there any reason why the Asus soundcard and PPA USB cannot both be fitted within the same server (using two of the mini PCI slots) thus providing the option for USB or coaxial outputs?

Cheers
Pete

Gazjam
02-06-2015, 17:09
Hi all.

I have a quick couple of Korus related questions and wondered if anybody here can help:

1. When I removed the PPA Studio USB card and replaced it with the Asus Xonar Essence STX II soundcard, I can't remember, but would the PPA Studio card have been powered by a molex female connector or does it get its power from the mini PCI slot?

2. Is there any reason why the Asus soundcard and PPA USB cannot both be fitted within the same server (using two of the mini PCI slots) thus providing the option for USB or coaxial outputs?

Cheers
Pete

Pete,
The PPA would be powered by a molex connector, no reason why you can't have both. :)
Just choose your output device in Jriver to suit.

orbscure
02-06-2015, 17:36
Thanks for the confirmation Gaz... I did refit the USB card at the weekend and bought a male & two female molex splitter to power both, but I couldn't get the server to recognise either. I'll have another dabble later this week and see if I can get it working :)

Gazjam
03-06-2015, 12:37
Might need a driver for the PPA card Pete?
With Windows 8.1 it should be fine, but try installing the driver anyway?
http://www.lycom.com.tw/Drivers%20Download.htm

As an upgrade to your usb output to the Young, and if your ok with a bit of DIY, consider powering the card with an external linear supply 5V,1A min feeding the +5V and Gnd pinds on the card.
Noticable improvement ;)

orbscure
03-06-2015, 14:17
Thanks again Gaz...

As the server came with the PPL card fitted and working, I'd have thought the drivers should already be loaded, available and ready to recognise it being refitted? I'll try and spend some decent quality time with it over the weekend and see if I can get it working.

With regards the DIY 5v external PSU, if I can get the server to recognise it and get it working, I'll have a look at what I have in the spares draw which can be modified. Just in case I haven't got anything spare, will one of the many bog standard 5v 1a supplies found on eBay and Amazon suffice?

Cheers
Pete

orbscure
06-06-2015, 09:54
All sorted now Gaz... so I now have 24bit/192khz capability via S/PDIF on the ASUS soundcard and up to 32bit/384khz via the USB PPA Audio card... irrespective of their limited availability and as to whether I can actually hear the difference, off to source some 32/384 material and have a play... :)

Gazjam
06-06-2015, 10:43
Good stuff Pete, glad its sorted.
Have fun. :)