PDA

View Full Version : NVA LS 3 speaker cable.

Floyddroid
02-06-2015, 10:18
I took delivery of this cable last week and i have to say i'm pretty bowled over with it. I bought it because i couldn't afford the more expensive LS5 so i went for what i could afford. Having heard how good the cable is from fellow AOS member Rich Britton i decided i would have a punt as i needed a seven metre pair hence not going for the LS5. I have to say that despite it being ordered just before the bank holiday weekend delivery was pretty damned good and Richard Dunne shipped my cable smartish.

Having read some threads about the NVA cables i was pretty much ahead of the game so i set the cables pretty much as he advised. From the off the cables were a revelation. I'm not really into cables as such and my Van Damme Hi-Fi 6mm has done me proud but having heard Rich Britton raving and drooling (sorry Rich, could help a Pink Floyd pun) i thought what the hell. I'm glad i did too. The detail i am getting is staggering. Leading edges are better and they really have pepped up my aging D900's. In addition they work really well with my Avondale amps. Construction is pretty good too. They are not unlike those to be had from Witchhat Audio albeit the NVA cables are a bit more substantial. Bass is wonderfully controlled with a vice like grip. The thing i noticed was that bass guitar whether fretless or not seemed quick of the mark yet deep atmospheric drones and sound staging were awesome.

If you are looking for decent speaker cables that don't add instability to amplifiers, sound musical and don't cost stupid money i would sound out a pair of these babies. Cracking bash for the cash.:)

walpurgis
02-06-2015, 10:23
I've never used NVA cables, but many people report good results from them. I'd be curious to hear how they deliver the sound.

CageyH
02-06-2015, 10:25
I have heard the same. There don't seem to be many complaints about it. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience of it though. I always wanted to try some LS5 (or better as I only need 1m lengths) with my current speakers, but there is little point as they are being changed next month.

Yomanze
02-06-2015, 10:30
Great cable, extremely low capacitance.

orbscure
02-06-2015, 11:32
Another +1 for NVA cable... I'm fortunate enough to be using LS6 cable between my JBL4311's and a pair of NVA A40 MK2 monoblocks and after a week or so running them in, they really are opening up with their clarity, detail and immense bass reproduction :cool:

alan47
02-06-2015, 15:56
+1 for me as well.I have used LS5 for several years now,fit and forget..Great stuff,for the money.

RichB
02-06-2015, 16:02
Having realised I wasn't getting the best from my A40 Mk2 monoblocks with the ls2 cable I was using I consulted with NVA about the best cable choices for my system. I was advised to try some LS5 made up for biwire with my RS5.

The NVA advice was as follows - to bi-wire with normal cable you have to use two sets of that cable. So you double the capacitance, halve the inductance and halve the resistance of the cable load to the amplifier - so it will sound different anyway, which makes the whole process pot luck and unpredictable. NVA cables are built of separately insulated cores that can be split into different legs. In the case of LS5 9 thicker cores and two thinner cores are taken to the treble leg and 19 thicker cores and 2 thinner cores taken to the bass / mid leg, so the cable load on the amplifier is identical whether normal wired or bi-wired. More cable goes to the bass leg as that is where most of the current in the signal goes

This seemed like good sense to me so I took a punt on them. Having received these cables and a run them in for a few weeks I've been impressed at the overall balance they brought to my system. There was more of everything, in particular the bass grip Steve describes but it also seemed as if feeding the HF more evenly and removing the nasty jump cables from my speakers was a fab move managing some of the tweeters more spitty tendencies better. In my system I have found them to be goldilocks cables, not too hot, not too cold, but just right.
I've also been listening to a lot of dub and reggae recently as the bass sound I've got is so moreish.

Steve, go put on some Bob Marley and tell me that bass doesn't sound fab!

southall-1998
02-06-2015, 16:45
I use LS3 with my Nait 5i.

The LS3 can really dig shed loads of detail and throw them out!!!

Bass can be a little dry at times, but yet very controlled.

S.

guy
02-06-2015, 22:14
I was using ls2 with my NVA a40's, bought to get me going (and considered myself a bit of a cable skeptic).
Now consider myself very lucky to have a set of LS5 - completely different ball game: greater impact/control, more believable impression of instruments being played.

VesaLato
03-06-2015, 05:25
I have pair of ls1 at the moment and find the presentation very clear but not bright at all. Maybe it could have more weight on bass but like gents proved earlier going up on range solve's that. Very good VFM!

Nihil Sleighride
03-06-2015, 18:52
I'm another LS3 user. It really is cracking stuff.

Pete The Cat
05-06-2015, 21:17
Sufficiently content with LS1 here.

Pete