PDA

View Full Version : How do you make Katie Perry sound good?

lafty
31-05-2015, 20:49
Hi everyone

My name is Nick and I am re-venturing into the world of hi-fi having emerged relatively unscathed from having three children. I still have them by the way (they are 8, 5 and 3) but not only do I now trust them not to poke their fingers into the odd tweeter dome, but also the eldest has "discovered" dad's old CD collection in the loft and I think needs to hear what music really sounds like, i.e. not through the speakers of the iPad. On top of that, all three of them are building their own "taste" in music....which includes the dreaded Katie Perry! I can't fight it, I can only embrace it (as long as I can chuck in the odd bit of Tom Petty or Prince).

In my twenties I had some decent NAD kit and a pair of Tannoy 605s. Regretfully I got rid of the NAD stuff but the Tannoys are still around and will be the basis of a new system for now. So any suggestions for amp matching are welcome! Ideally my new system is a wireless set-up, with the option to also play the aforementioned CDs. I have an Apple Airport Express so would like to hook that up to an amp and the Tannoys and see how that fares. No doubt I will get re-bitten by the bug and soon none of the above will be good enough!

So anyone, how do you make Katie Perry sound good?

N

Oddball
31-05-2015, 20:58
Put the Katie Perry CD in a battery CD player and lob it in the bath???

The Black Adder
31-05-2015, 21:02
Play her stuff at high speed, backwards with the volume at zero. :lol:

...or use

http://blog.present.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/turd_polish.jpg

She is good looking but that's about it... no, sorry.... that IS it.

struth
31-05-2015, 21:05
Welcome Nick. I hope you enjoy the forum and it is of some help in aiding you. I cant, I am afraid I don't actually know who she is, possibly that is fortunate:eyebrows: ......anyways the tannoys is no bad place to start, and pick up a nice solid state amp to drive them well(maybe a denon or sony) and your nearly there. Remember to get some half decent cables as they do matter

lafty
31-05-2015, 21:06
Hmmm, so far none of this is going to wash with my 5 year old daughter. And I haven't even mentioned the need to play "Let it go" at least once a day (from Frozen in case you have been lucky enough to avoid this global phenomenon). I think the only solution is to construct a sound-proof booth at the bottom of the garden.

lafty
31-05-2015, 21:07
Thanks Struth. I've actually got the chance to get a Marantz PM66SE for £75. Good place to start?

struth
31-05-2015, 21:10
sure, a good brand Marantz. plenty nice Jap amps around under the ton that will last for a while yet. Some are sleeping giants...........

The Black Adder
Our twins (4 years) love the beatles, led zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix.

The conditioning is going well... for the moment. lol

crazycat41
anyway.............*****WELCOME******

hopefully you'll get a helpfull answer soon....:lol:

sorry i canna help on the 'wireless side' - I'm of a generation who doesn't even know what a '' Apple Airport Express'' is/does.:scratch:

john

lafty
31-05-2015, 21:23
BTW, trying to reply so someone selling something in Private Exhibitions and keep getting denied. Have I missed something?

N

struth
31-05-2015, 21:25
BTW, trying to reply so someone selling something in Private Exhibitions and keep getting denied. Have I missed something?

N

if by that you mean PM ing him you need 6 posts b4 you get that privilage

lafty
31-05-2015, 21:26
No, I was just trying to reply in the thread.....

lafty
31-05-2015, 21:28
Don't worry - working now!

crazycat41
31-05-2015, 21:30

N

low post count..?

mikmas
31-05-2015, 21:37
N

... nothing you can do but wait 10 years or so ... and get good ear plugs :lol:
Count yourself lucky - my daughter is now 18 and the theme is 'Death Metal' .....

StanleyB
31-05-2015, 21:49
Have you tried Listening to Russell Brand for a minute or two first, before trying to listen to Katie Perry?

walpurgis
31-05-2015, 21:50
Have you tried Listening to Russell Brand for a minute or two first, before trying to listen to Katie Perry?

What a horrible thought. The very sight of the git makes me want to reach for a shotgun!! :eek:

walpurgis
31-05-2015, 22:12
Oh and I should have said welcome to AOS Nick! :)

Hope you enjoy being here. The members are a decent and knowledgeable bunch.

Geoff.

Anthony K
01-06-2015, 07:46

Certain things in life , try as you will , cannot be done, and here you have come up against a brick wall ( with heavy insulation )

Eagle owl
01-06-2015, 15:17
Hello and welcome Nick.

Geoff. :wave:

shane
01-06-2015, 18:32

Cricket bat at speed applied to occiput?

FR Drew
21-06-2015, 12:28
I'm afraid the use of pitch shifting, dynamic compression, the flat production etc is going to make it hard to ever get Katie Perry to sound good. Some albums, the better your system, the more you realise is on the disc. Some, the better your system gets, the more you realise how much the distortion and limitations of the playback on a poor setup (or headphones) can mask the lack of depth and sophistication.

I saw "Teenage Dream" as a 180g vinyl pressing and I had to laugh. Really, what would the point be?

You have set yourself a tough challenge there...

The Black Adder
21-06-2015, 13:30
it's simply impossible... I've tried and failed. The sound has been f@ucked about with too much and the whole thing has no substance.
http://www.nme.com/news/katy-perry/58730