PDA

View Full Version : "The Frozen Truth"

Audiocom AV
04-04-2008, 14:33
Audiocom International in conjunction with Frozen Solid Audio is providing a Deep Cryogenic Treatment (DCT) service for audio & visual products.

We have had DCT applied to various audio products, cables, entire CD players, CD’s & SACD’s, with consistent results, and there have been marked improvements; notably a lower noise floor, improved low frequency control, greater openness & clarity of sound.

What Does DCT Do?

Deep Cryogenic Treatment or DCT for short is a process that involves the cooling of metals and other materials to very low temperatures, typically around -190°C. When metals such as Copper or Silver are drawn they develop a distorted ‘grain’ structure which leads to tiny voids, disruptions and discontinuities in the conductor as the metal is compressed and contorted by the drawing process.

The DCT processing leads to the development of a more refined crystal structure of the metals, drastically reducing voids disruptions and discontinuities in the conductor. The result is a metal with reduced skin effect, lower resistance; improved electron flow. For further information please visit; http://www.frozensolidaudio.com/

An interesting article on cryogenically treating audio cables appeared in the July 2001 issue of Hi-Fi News & RR, the information can be found here;

http://www.frozensolidaudio.com/Freezing%20Issue.htm

To date several companies have used DCT on their cables, these include Townshend Audio, Ecosse, Black Rhodium, and more recently Russ Andrews with the Kimber Select series.

Sound Quality Improvements

The resulting sound when DCT has been applied is remarkable. When applied to a CD or DVD player what is immediately apparent are quieter backgrounds to music, you are aware of a marked reduction in system noise. Lower frequencies have greater definition, control and solidity; music is more open, detailed and natural sounding. You also perceive a greater sense of the recorded venue and acoustic space, bringing the music more to life.

DCT can also be applied to Compact Discs, we have conducted A/B comparisons with cryo & non cryo CD & SACD’s and the cryo treated discs sound notably better. The CD’s & SACD’s used where both on the same label, and pressed in the same factory. The cryo treated CD’s have superior low frequency definition, solidity. By comparison, bass notes on the non treated disc sound looser, softer and less defined. The cryo’d discs also sound less compressed, more open, vivid and natural. Detailing that sounds ‘flattened’ on the non cryo disc is more three-dimensional, allowing you to hear the acoustic space.

FAQ’s

There are some misconceptions about cryogenic treatment, so below are several FAQ’s and related answers;

Q: Does the DCT process degrade over time?
A: No, the DCT process is permanent and can be appreciated continually.
Q: Can I achieve DCT by placing my audio gear in the freezer?
A: The DCT process is a function of time and temperature, you might manage a change in your freezer but it would take years.
Q: Will my components become brittle?
A: Common misconception, though will certainly happen with shock treatment such as dipping of articles into Liquid Nitrogen, the process at Frozen Solid Audio regularly treats large batches of glass thermionic valves without any such effect indicating the gentle and repeatable effects brought about.
Q: What else in my system benefits from DCT?
A: Just about all materials involved in the musical chain show improvement through DCT, from players to amps to cables and CD or DVD material, just ask if you have any unusual requirements. Any item can be sent to Audiocom for treatment with your main component if required.
Q: Does the component become wet or immersed?
A: No, the LN2 process is a dry one involving gentle and regulated exposure to the gas as it boils off around -196C.

The DCT process typically requires 1-2 weeks turn around; prices can be quoted on request.
If you have any enquiries relating to cryogenically treating audio gear or discs please contact me.

Regards
Mark

Marco
05-04-2008, 09:40
Hi Mark,

Interesting stuff!

Rest assured that I will be having the DAS-R1 cryo'd when I send it to get the lastest mods done.

The more experience I get with cryogenic treatment, particularly with the valves I've been playing around with recently, the more I realise that it has enormous potential for improving the performance of audio equipment and cables. It's most certainly not 'snake oil' like some people think!

The CD thing is interesting but I doubt I'll go there, particularly as in the near future I'll be getting into high-end computer audio and transferring all my discs on to some sort of hard-drive device.

The X-777ES/DAS-R1 will be staying put, though, as it's a classic and I'll always have the need for a top-notch CDP :)

Marco.

Audiocom AV
05-04-2008, 11:09
Hi Marco

The high-end computer audio is an interesting area and one we will be looking in to. Cryogenics can also be applied here, components like DVD-ROM, sound card, IDE & power cables will benefit from DCT.

Do you have any ideas of your planned computer audio set-up?

All the best
Mark

Marco
08-04-2008, 18:08
I really don't know yet, Mark.

When the time comes I'll research it in great detail (as I always do when buying equipment or buying into new formats) and obtain the best sounding solution I can afford. Chances are the available technology will have changed by the time I get around to it.

Right now I'm on 'amplifier mode' and I'm maxing-out my valve pre and power amp. I like to devote all my attention to the one area, and fully optimise it, before moving on to something else :)

You might like to read my detailed future plans in Gromit's thread in the Blank Canvas ;)

One thing though, I'm 100% convinced that streaming lossless files via a PC/laptop and high quality media player, connected to a top-notch DAC (such as my DAS-R1), or a similar quality computer audio set-up, produces results that *NO* CD player can replicate, regardless of cost - purely because of the lack of mechanical interfaces in the chain and the sonic signature they impose on the sound.

Just think how good it will be when my DAS-R1 has had its latest set of mods done... :eyebrows:

That's why I'm going down this route, and also because I love the idea of being able to download unlimited free music from the Internet and create my own playlists. However, like I said, I will be using the X-777ES/DAS-R1 in conjunction with this as I will always have a large physical CD collection to play, and the Sonys are classics!

Marco.