PDA

View Full Version : USB vs Network Cable: longer USB cable or longer Ethernet cable

guyb
27-05-2015, 20:09
Hey all,

Just after a few of your thoughts.

In my setup for digital audio I currently have...

- A Denon DA-300USB DAC with MCRU power supply which is located on my hi if rack
- I then have a 5m Supra USB cable plugged into the Denon and routed around the back to a small but open 'cupboard' under the stairs.
- In the 'cupboard' the USB cable is connected to an ifi iUSB Power which is then connected to a Raspberry Pi 2 running Volumio via a short USB cable. The Pi is then also connected to the power only port of the ifi to power the Pi.
- The Pi is connected to the network via Ethernet to a 5 port switch and is used as a DNLA renderer only
- Attached to the same 5 port switch is my Synology NAS. I use Synology's AudioStation, including the very good iOS app, to play music from the NAS to then Pi using the Denon as a DAC

Soooo, after all that...

Would I be better moving the Pi and the ifi iUSB to my hi fi rack and using a 5m Ethernet instead of a 5m USB?

I already have another 5 port switch located by my hi fi rack so I would be using a 1m Ethernet to the switch, then a 5m Ethernet to the other switch in the 'cupboard' and finally a 1m Ethernet to the NAS.

Would it make a difference?

What does everyone think?

Guy

struth
27-05-2015, 20:31
I would prefer to run a long ethernet than a usb tbh, but whether it will make an audible difference is only going to show by trying it.

NRG
27-05-2015, 20:39
IME messing with USB from a laptop to a USB DAC I found the shorter the lead the better...I have no idea why. So I'd try a longer Ethernet cable plus Ethernet is more robust over greater distances even if its only 10m.

Stratmangler
27-05-2015, 22:18
Ethernet is designed to run @ 100m (when running network cabling we stick to 90m max, which allows for a 5m patch lead at both ends).
USB2 is designed to run @ 5m

At 5m your ethernet isn't even noticing the cable length, whereas the USB is at its maximum length.
I know which way I'd go ;)

mikmas
27-05-2015, 22:21
Apart from what's already said (that I agree with completely) and hoping I grasped your present set-up, I would think an additional advantage would be the direct USB connection between Pi and DAC (i.e. not via the ifi box ...)

Sounds like win-win :)

guyb
28-05-2015, 10:01
Thanks for the replies.

I suspected that would be the answer and the main reason for me going the other way was due to not having space on my hi fi rack so I think I was trying to convince myself that there was no difference :)

Mikmas - I use the ifi as it is supposed to be very good a delivering a much cleaned USB signal to a DAC. And as a bonus I am using it to provide a clean source of power to the Pi