PDA

View Full Version : Audio System Rack

StanleyB
10-09-2009, 22:38
Anyone ever made their own, or thought about doing it?

I started thinking about drawing my own more than a decade ago, and let one or more professional companies make the various bits for me. Then it is just a bolt together job on my part. About three years ago I started drawing the various bits in Microsoft Visio. I then searched the web for all the bits to see if anyone had something similar or close enough on sale. That way I could cut some of the cost by eliminating customized machined parts.

Just a few weeks to go now:). I am waiting for the last bits to be delivered at the end of the month. I am sooo excited. I hope it looks even better than it is imprinted in my mind, and that I got my dimensions right... Otherwise it will be like a botched MFI style job.

That's brings me to the idea of a topic to discuss some possible designs with good technical merits as well as aesthetics. Anyone think it's a good topic idea, or are you guys quite satified with those converted milk crates?

Stan

leo
10-09-2009, 22:59
I'll be watching this with interest, hope your going to give the camera a good work out when it starts to go together :eyebrows:

StanleyB
10-09-2009, 23:15
Oh yes, pictures:). I haven't been so excited for a long time about a mechanical structure that I have worked on. I am also proud of the fact that I managed to find British engineering companies who could make and supply 95% of the parts. Some of those parts might not have been designed for use in a audio rack mind you;).

The Grand Wazoo
10-09-2009, 23:15
Good stuff Stan, I'm interested.
Regarding racks, there's lots of pseudo scientific theory propounded, but no story I've heard yet has come near to convincing me that someone has produced 'the way' to do it. And some of the prices bounced around are (shall we say).............. interesting.

Cheers

The Grand Wazoo
10-09-2009, 23:19
Some of those parts might not have been designed for use in a audio rack mind you

That's usually a good thing! But the savings are usually never passed on to the consumer - the pseudo science kicks in to justify the 'exotic' pricing.
Did you know most Christmas tree stands are made from steel tube stock destined to become lorry exhausts?

StanleyB
10-09-2009, 23:30
Years ago I saw a couple of designs like the ones from our own JohnRT, and TNT Audio. They come very close to the basic implementation of mine. but I have taken it further and used some of my own scientific thinking to go from audio rack to audio platform. I did it in three parts: rack/top/sides. The sides will be added later:eyebrows:.

Stan

The Grand Wazoo
10-09-2009, 23:35
but I have taken it further and used some of my own scientific thinking to go from audio rack to audio platform. I did it in three parts: rack/top/sides. The sides will be added later

So the top sits independantly of the sides then? - Rhetorical question I suppose.

StanleyB
11-09-2009, 00:31
They all bolt together, but I want to be able to test out the main rack and the top part properly, before adding the sides.

Ali Tait
11-09-2009, 17:32
Sounds interesting.I will be looking for a rack sometime in the near future.I was going to mention the TNT Flexy,but I see you're already familiar.I thought about one of those,as you could build it in any shape needed.I also thought about having a spiked slate shelf on each wood shelf of the flexy.Would have worked quite well I think.I take it this is something you will be offering for sale in the future Stan?

StanleyB
12-09-2009, 08:12
I take it this is something you will be offering for sale in the future Stan?
It would cost a fortune if I decided to make and sell it. What I am considering is that if there is enough interest, I could make the plans for the main rack available for download. That would include the bill of materials, plus my recommendation on where to get the shelves machined if you do it in the same material as me.
The thickness of the shelves can be adjusted to cost. If you make just the main part (i.e. exclude the turntable part and the side shelves), and do it in wood you can manage to keep it below £250.

Stan

Ali Tait
12-09-2009, 10:13
Well I'd be interested Stan.There are a lot of nice racks about but all at nice prices too.Something good at a sane price would be good.