PDA

View Full Version : Velvoir and The Black Atom Movement

RichB
25-05-2015, 09:18
What a great day of music I had yesterday. There was a showcase of local up and coming bands being held at our local cricket club and as there wasn't much doing I thought I'd pop by for a few pints and check out some of the bands on offer.

As you'd expect the quality of the acts varied throughout the day but I was lucky enough to see 2 great local acts who put on such shows with so much skill, originality and professionalism that I came away filled with hope for our local talent and music scene.

The first of them was a 2 piece called The Black Atom Movement, they played an intense set of heavy blues that reminded me a bit of the Black Keys and Motorhead but without cribbing from either of those acts. There was such an energy and connection between the two guys and they played like they owned the venue with all the confidence of seasoned bluesmen. I couldn't believe what I was hearing was coming from the 2 gangly youths on the stage. They're unsigned as yet but will have one of their tracks featured on the CD which comes with Classic Rock magazine next month. I hope they'll get the recognition they deserve and have a chance for some kind of career at this. They've got a new fan in me anyway and I'll look forward to buying their stuff if it properly sees the light of day...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CDoOpueW8AIxgP-.jpg:large

Check them out on band camp here http://blackatommovement.bandcamp.com/releases

The next turn up of the day for me was the awesome Velvoir. I knew these kids were going to be something off the wall when I saw their young cross dressing singer tending his hair and makeup earlier in the day... The rest of the band looked like they'd walked straight in from Carnaby St in the late 60s, resplendent in their capes and drainpipe pants they caught everybody's eye before they even hit the stage. Approaching the stage quietly and in the most unassuming way they started up on some psychedelic noodling and riffing then Boom!!! Launched into one of the most funky and original performances I've seen in a long time. The young transvestite controlling the action and writhing around like Jim Morrison in Marilyn Monroe's wardrobe... I recognised their points of reference and influences as The Doors, Janes Addiction, early Pink Floyd and psychedelic scene. It wasn't long before I was out of my seat grooving along with these guys, they had so much energy and really didn't give a f**k what anyone thought. The singer turned the air blue with the bare eroticism of their lyrics, the guitar player whirled around like in an acid fuelled trance, the rhythm section held it all together. I was completely blown away by what I was seeing and could easily imagine them totally owning a festival crowd on one of Glastonburys many stages and hope they go on to bigger and better things. After the gig it was my pleasure to buy these guys(and girl???) a drink and found out they'd been together only 9 months and have been gigging for only 3 months. I was genuinely gobsmacked at what they'd put together.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CBoQ4RjXIAAY2rG.jpg

They're recording an EP and it will be on my shopping list but live is where this band are going to make their name. Check them out on Soundcloud here https://m.soundcloud.com/velvoir/01-thrillin-live-warehouse

I've got some video on my phone and will upload it later.

So all in all a great day and as I woke up this morning I felt a renewed sense of confidence and pride that our local music scene is producing young acts of this calibre and I feel like shouting from the rooftops about how good these bands are...

Firebottle
25-05-2015, 10:06
Bravo, good to hear of new talent.

Or from a Black Country perspective, bostin :thumbsup:

RichB
15-08-2015, 10:28
Both bands playing tonight at the Cluny in Newcastle.

4 quid in. Exciting new music from the local yoofs. Love it.

RichB
01-09-2015, 09:45
bcaaaOkcVHc

Blood great noisy rock from the North East.