PDA

View Full Version : For those with a Pi / IQAudio DAC+ Your thoughts

The Black Adder
22-05-2015, 12:47
So... for people who have the Pi/IQ combo up and running, what do we think?

I thought it would be nice to hear your thoughts and words together for others not wanting to look through over 1200 posts in the main thread.

So, here are some standard questions.

How easy was the setup out of the box? Marks our of 10 (10 being hardest)
What DAC/CDP were you listening to before?
Are you using it as your main source? (if not, where are you using it?)
What has been your biggest revelation in it's sonic abilities/advantages?
Are you using it with an external pre-amp or directly linked to your amplifier?
Do you have your music linked via NAS or direct USB link?
How happy are you with it in general (including price and performance)
Is it a keeper?
Overall marks out of 10 (10 being the highest)

Thanks

Kit1cat
22-05-2015, 13:31
1. 8, it took me a couple of days to get it all up and running using my NAS over WiFi, not so bad via ethernet and a usb stick for music. Started with Volumio, now using picoreplayer and ipeng.
2. Touch/Bushmaster mk2
3. Yes, at the moment
4. overhaul sound quality for the price.
5. linked to a bi-amped Arcam intergrated/power setup.
6. NAS via Wifi
7. very, excellent value for money.
8. yes
9. 8

Barry

Frankyc2003
22-05-2015, 13:34

I thought it would be nice to hear your thoughts and words together for others not wanting to look through over 1200 posts in the main thread.

How easy was the setup out of the box? Marks our of 10 (10 being hardest) 3
What DAC/CDP were you listening to before? Arcam Rdac/SBT
Are you using it as your main source? (if not, where are you using it?) Yes
What has been your biggest revelation in it's sonic abilities/advantages? transparency
Are you using it with an external pre-amp or directly linked to your amplifier? Directly into my Audion Silver Night 300B
Do you have your music linked via NAS or direct USB link? Both and both work fine. The library update is noticeably longer on NAS though
How happy are you with it in general (including price and performance) Very very happy so far, and I haven't even installed MoOde yet!
Is it a keeper? Yep
Overall marks out of 10 (10 being the highest) 8.5

Thanks

:)

NRG
22-05-2015, 13:40
Is it a keeper?

Thanks

1) I found it v easy but then I work in the computer industry so have a good idea of what to do...I can understand somebody without the knowledge or skills struggling with it.

2) Beresford BMII / Ank Battery / Heavily modded SB MKII

3) Yes and no, currently using the RPi into a TDA1541a NOS DAC

4) Found the IQAudio DAC very clean with great detail and no obvious weakness or what I perceive as neutral, perceived soundstage is v good as well.

5) Using a quality pseudo shunt configured Panasonic pot in a box

6) NAS, wired

7) The RPi/IQAudio DAC combo is excellent for the price! Yes, I'm impressed.

8) Maybe...however I think the TDA1541a with up sampling set on the RPi engages me more ;)

9) 7/10

10) I reserve the right to change my opinion at a moments notice! :D

RichB
22-05-2015, 13:51

SBT/Rega/vlink/chromecast/laptop

no, I sold it.

That I didn't like it at all and the laptop/dac combo takes some beating for me. Just easier, less clunky and sounds better. That iq dac is RAF

Preamp

Nope, Spotify...

10 for price, 4 for performance

Is it a keeper?
No, I sold it.

4 for price alone and I enjoyed messing with it but the iq dac is easily beaten for similar money, volumio is clunky and ugly imho, sound quality/functionality easily trumped by a chromecast as long as your dac is up to it...

mikmas
22-05-2015, 14:41
1, Pain in the butt, firstly couldn't get terminal on Mac to copy image. Used Moode first and its was crap. Volumio did the job in the end = 4/10
2. Fiio and sometimes a Lindy DACs; Toshiba BluRay into COAX. Mac digital out into TOSLINK
3. Just one of several.
4. Sound quality is stonkingly good and almost on a par with vinyl, particularly with WAV files (Moode and Volumio both messed up with AIFF) User interface could be improved - a lot.
5. Inputting to Radio input on Quad 34/303
6. Using SSD in USB port - far better than HDD for a raft of reasons (see my other post on this...)
7. Unbeatable for the price - punches WAY above it's weight
8. Most definitely - in fact might get another for 'the shed'
9. 8/10 .... marks lost for setup hassles
10. Why no 10????

struth
22-05-2015, 14:55
How easy was the setup out of the box? Marks our of 10 (10 being hardest) mine was used so volumio was preinstalled otherwise it was fairly easy. a touch of trial and error but not much. 8/10

What DAC/CDP were you listening to before? beresford async to audio alchemy etc...

Are you using it as your main source? (if not, where are you using it?) this and my tt..this is new so getting more airtime.

What has been your biggest revelation in it's sonic abilities/advantages? control of all frequencies is better and soundstage more...THERE!

Are you using it with an external pre-amp or directly linked to your amplifier? INTO PRE AMP

Do you have your music linked via NAS or direct USB link? direct usb.
How happy are you with it in general (including price and performance) probably my best ever purchase value wise

Is it a keeper? yup!!
Overall marks out of 10 (10 being the highest) 10.

martinswimmer
22-05-2015, 15:26

2 - really easy but wired and direct usb

None

Main source in the system 2

First time that i can listen to digital audio. No harshness, amazing detail, very involving. It's not as good as analogue, but didn't expect it would be.

Direct into power amp, but not much different to going into pre first

Usb stick and usb hdd

Very

Is it a keeper?

Yep

AlanS
22-05-2015, 15:39
Thanks for stepping outside of the leviathan thread

How easy was the setup out of the box? Marks out of 10 (10 being hardest)
4 I tried three different players, Volumio, Rune and Moode. It can get easier

A Maplin USB

Not my main source. I am currently using it the most as it is new and to be explored

Clarity and subtlety of zee music compared to other DACs (and CD player). I don't do these sofisticated arty words some excel at

Both. Headphone amp and into my amps inputs

Currently NAS but have been using a USB stick

It is very enjoyable musically. Pity it only works HiRes when ethernet is used and not WiFi

Is it a keeper?
I will tell you when I have kept it.

mr sneff
22-05-2015, 19:03
1. 10/10 Absolute nightmare. Volumio had a number of problems and, compared to Sonos a Stoneage interface. Rune audio has a better interface but I couldn’t get any sound out of the IQ DAC. I was just about to give up and modify the Pi with a hammer :lol: when I came across MusicBox (http://www.woutervanwijk.nl/pimusicbox/) which was easy to set up, even the NAS drive which I couldn’t get to work with Volumio.

2. Sonos into Quad 33/303 (I didn’t notice any improvement using a DAC with Sonos).

3. Using it in a bedroom system ATM, considering using it in the main system if I can work out how to get a wired connection set up.

4. Sound seems to be more detailed. In terms of user friendliness/convenience it’s a long way behind Sonos.

5. Using it into a Topping TP22 integrated.

6. NAS, haven’t been able to get the USB to work with MusicBox yet, but as the NAS works I’ve no need to get the USB to work.

7.Happy now that I’ve got it to work, good VFM, good SQ, but I didn’t find it easy to set up.

8. I’ll keep it, not sure that it will become part of the main system yet.

9. 6/10, probably 9/10 just on SQ but I wasted a LOT of time setting it up.

cyclopse
22-05-2015, 20:15
1 I would score as 8/10 due to Linux operating system, couldn't connect to NFS server plus bugs in software player.

2 Popcorn Hour A100 into Nagra DAC.

3 main source for computer files. Nagra CDT and Nagra DAC for CD.

4 ability to play DSD files and resolution at higher up sampling rates

5 Into Modwright pre

6 Yes Hanewin NFS server, Ethernet into Rasberry Pi

7 Still cannot get my head round the value for money.

8 Definitely

9 Score it 8.5 at the moment. Would like to revisit this once Linear supply up and running.

Regards

steve

Ashmore
22-05-2015, 21:04
1. load picoreplayer and switch on (already had vortexbox running LMS and squeezecommander app). Much sympathy to those battling with a whole new FBA setup.

SB Touch with linear PSU into very modded Caiman Mk1 with linear PSU

Yes

detail, separation

passive Pre-amp currently

NAS

Very

Is it a keeper?
Yup

Val33
22-05-2015, 22:06
Not too difficult, hardest part was getting it to connect to my NAS

Airport Express into Bushmaster Mk1

Vinyl is main source, but currently using it for all digital.

Much easier to control from iPad than iTunes. Much better integration of internet radio, vastly more flexible than anything else I've tried in the past.

Yes, with pre.

NAS

Very happy that I have tried it, BUT, it is lacking in depth and bottom end detail.

Is it a keeper?
The Pi is, but the IQ will be moved on. However it has spurred me on to investigate further.

I have to say that I've had great fun playing with it, trying all the different players, messing with settings etc. Ultimately, it is not as good as my modded AE into the battery powered Bushmaster, but the potential is definitely there. I'm now looking to build a Twisted Pear Buffalo IIIse. This will take a direct input from the Pi and TP are working with some guys on DIYaudio to develop the Beaglebone Black into a dedicated audiophile streamer that will plug straight in to the Buffalo too.

The Black Adder
23-05-2015, 07:13
Thanks guys... It's all pretty positive so far. That's excellent. Keep em coming. :)

Desmo
23-05-2015, 17:17

Errrr... I still have not managed to get the damn thing working at all! Not a squeek out of it. I'll keep trying, but honestly I'm thinking I'll end up spending over £1,000 on a new streamer/ DAC that actually just works!

struth
23-05-2015, 17:23
Errrr... I still have not managed to get the damn thing working at all! Not a squeek out of it. I'll keep trying, but honestly I'm thinking I'll end up spending over £1,000 on a new streamer/ DAC that actually just works!

Thats a shame. Alas I'm not a Pi expert so wont be of much use but sure someone could talk you through it easily enough. If I can manage (with a little assistance from the boys) I think they could get you going:)

The Black Adder
23-05-2015, 17:25

Wow... don't do that just yet.

I'm no expert on it but I'm sure one of us here can help you out. Post the problem in the Leviathan thread, (PM one of the guys here or start a new thread) I'm sure we can sort you out. :)

Desmo
26-05-2015, 15:33
10. A nightmare, I have finally managed to get there, but give me a soldering iron, and a pile of components to build an amplifier any day!

Caiman II, Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6

Yes, currently

Clarity

Using it with a Stereo Coffee LDR Pre-amp currently

NAS

Now it's working, I'm happy. Price is fantastic for the sound performance.

Is it a keeper?
Probably not - it's fine as a streamer, but it just does not do everything that I need a DAC to do. In my main system I really need something with digital inputs (Toslink and/or Coax) preferably both. It might end up in the garage where I can just use it as a streamer.

The Black Adder
26-05-2015, 15:53
Nice one Graeme. Glad you got it working :) - Give it some time, it might grow on you... lol

lovejoy
28-05-2015, 11:01
1. How easy was the setup out of the box? Marks our of 10 (10 being hardest)
I'd mark this a 3. Generally it was all pretty straightforward but having tried a few different distros now (Volumio, Rune, Moode, etc.) they all have their quirks and I ended up having to wipe the SD card and restart a couple of times, but once it's working, there's no need to muck about with it anymore.

2. What DAC/CDP were you listening to before?
Naim DAC with modded SBT

3. Are you using it as your main source? (if not, where are you using it?)
It's in the main system yes, but vinyl is the main source.

4. What has been your biggest revelation in it's sonic abilities/advantages?
That I'm happy to sell the Naim on as the differences between the two are so small they are not worth worrying about.

5. Are you using it with an external pre-amp or directly linked to your amplifier?
Dynavector L300 pre - I tried straight into the power amp, but having the pre-amp is a lot better and less hassle in terms of swapping between analogue and digital sources.

6. Do you have your music linked via NAS or direct USB link?
NAS box in the living room connected over Ethernet.

7. How happy are you with it in general (including price and performance)
Very pleased - I think ultimately it will be my main source for internet radio/Spotify/Tidal etc. My CD collection is safe as I just prefer to have a physical collection so it will sit alongside a good CDP.

8. Is it a keeper?
Most definitely. The SBT was a faithful unit and a joy to use, and the IQ has displaced it with honours, so providing it remains reliable, there is no reason to move on.

Overall marks - I think it would be churlish to give it anything less than a 9 and given the amount of development still going into the software, there are probably still improvements to come.

WAD62
01-06-2015, 11:19

Is it a keeper?

Thanks

1. 3, the actual set up is not hard, knowing what distro to use requires a little research (piCorePlayer in the end)

2. It's replaced my SBTouch(EDO)/SBooster/HiFimeDIY U2 & Isolator combo, in the Kitchen set up.

3. No, my main source remains SBTouch(EDO)/Mark Grant BOBW PSU/iFi USB power/MDAC L2 Toy upgrade, the piDAC is in the Kitchen and is synchronised with my main setup via LMS.

4. Even with the SMPS the SQ was clearly better than the SBTouch/U2 pairing, and that takes some beating especially at this price point, now with an ANKER battery in place and a shielded micro USB power cable it's even better. The original ethos of my kitchen setup was to provide a better, cheaper, and grease proof alternative to a SqueezeBox Boom. With the PiDAC in place the system is now at another level...I hesitate to try the piDAC in my main setup, given that the MDAC is also my digital pre amp it would be difficult to make a like for like comparison between the 2 front ends without major disruption.

5. I'm running it into a mini-1 integrated amp (via Chord Chrysalis), & Mission 780SEs (sourced and restored from ebay) through maplin speaker .

6. Mine is running Squeezelite, and therefore integrates with the rest of my SB setup, including my QNAP NAS running LMS, it also synchronises perfectly with my other squeezeboxes, and is easily controlled by my smartphone/tablet apps

7. 10/10

8. Not only is it a keeper, eventually I'll be bringing more Pis into my network system

10. 10/10

Now it's time to play with the SoX upsampling capabilities...!!!:eyebrows:

Marco
01-06-2015, 12:14
What I find interesting (more like utterly baffling) is that the views so far are very near diametrically opposed to those expressed here by Rich (whom I know from experience has a good pair of ears), yet has arrived at a conclusion that couldn't be more different to the situation I have going on):

10 for price, 4 for performance

Is it a keeper?
No, I sold it.

4 for price alone and I enjoyed messing with it but the iq dac is easily beaten for similar money, volumio is clunky and ugly imho, sound quality/functionality easily trumped by a chromecast as long as your dac is up to it...

Jeez, I couldn't disagree more! :eek: :scratch:

Check out my latest comments about the RPi/IQ-Audio DAC on the 'big thread', where I'm comparing it with a £4.5k Linn Akurate DS.....

Rich, you've heard my T/T at the last NEBO (and were blown away by it), well, the RPi/IQ-Audio DAC here (with PH PSU) sounds 85% as good as my T/T! That's £700 versus £6000!! :eek:

Given the above, and the sheer disparity of the results we've achieved, I can't help but conclude that something wasn't right in your set-up when you had the RPi.

Marco.

Ali Tait
01-06-2015, 13:12
Or the high quality power supply?

struth
01-06-2015, 13:51
it could easily have been the rca interconnects at fault. apparently the pi is touchy about those due to its output stage. i got lucky using Rich s pi dac. and it sounded superb via the ones i used. it outstripped my pc to beresford async1 by a margin and it is certainly on par with the monarchy with dip and mf buffer....so thats 700 v 70 pounds. am going to try the buffer on the pi at some stage as i have a feeling it may well be a major upgrade

Marco
01-06-2015, 13:58
Or the high quality power supply?

Hi Ali,

Even with the stock PSU, I still rate the RPi/IQ-Audio DAC much higher than Rich. Like Grant said, it could an interconnect thing, or just plain and simple he doesn't like it, which is absolutely fine.

However, I know the kind of sound that Rich likes, and I'd bet any money that if he could hear the sound I've got going on here with the RPi, he'd rather quickly change his opinion - and it's precisely *that* which makes me feel that something was wrong at his place before.

Either that, or I've just been amazingly lucky! ;)

Marco.

Ali Tait
01-06-2015, 14:18
So many variables..

Marco
01-06-2015, 14:22
So many women, so little time...........

Marco.

struth
01-06-2015, 14:48
So many women, so little time...........

Marco.

or vice versa

NRG
01-06-2015, 17:18
Now here's a thing....the ALSAMixer clips the audio output if the PCM setting if pushed too far (this for the heads up Nick). This is not overloading a pre-amp input but its the actual output from the DAC.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l82/_NRG_/other/Alpha_DAC/ALSA_Clipping.png

This is with the 2v output set to on, anything over a PCM setting of 97 will clip. If the 2v setting is off it will still clip at the same setting... If the 0.8db boost is set to on and the PCM setting greater than 96 it will clip. You have been warned :)

cyclopse
01-06-2015, 17:28
Now here's a thing....the ALSAMixer clips the audio output if the PCM setting if pushed too far (this for the heads up Nick). This is not overloading a pre-amp input but its the actual output from the DAC.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l82/_NRG_/other/Alpha_DAC/ALSA_Clipping.png

This is with the 2v output set to on, anything over a PCM setting of 97 will clip. If the 2v setting is off it will still clip at the same setting... If the 0.8db boost is set to on and the PCM setting greater than 96 it will clip. You have been warned :)
Yes its easily audible with volume 100 on some material. Why I eased back to 93 to match the other sources.

mikmas
01-06-2015, 19:18
Yes its easily audible with volume 100 on some material. Why I eased back to 93 to match the other sources.

Yep - generally stick to 86% max for PCM setting (which is 0db according to IQaudio documentation)

Above this things start to get rough and tumble ... below that as sweet as a nut ;)

Marco
02-06-2015, 07:31
Much depends on the 'gain structure' of your system, particularly how sensitive (or otherwise) your preamp is, in terms of dealing with the voltage output of the source, in this case that of the RPi/IQ-Audio DAC, and also how much gain the preamp itself has.

Many active preamps these days have massive amounts of gain (often too much, so that overload is caused when CD is used), which is why people often use attenuators to reduce the input level of CD. My Croft preamp isn't like that. It has enough gain, but not too much.

Even with Playback and Playback boost maxed out, in alsamixer, the RPi/IQ-Audio DAC still outputs less than most CDPs, so in most systems a little PCM boost will be required, in order to match the output level of other digital sources, and for the sound not be soft or 'weedy' [lacking dynamic impact], which is what happens when the gain structure isn't right - and simply turning up the volume on your preamp doesn't alleviate that problem.

Therefore, in my system, 86 is too low (especially with recordings that have been produced at a low level), so consequently the PCM level here varies from 88-96, depending on recordings, but averages out at around 90 :)

Marco.

struth
02-06-2015, 07:35
Ive only found one control in volumio.:( I usually have it set at 96.its about the same as my other units at that level.

Marco
02-06-2015, 07:46
There is only one control for playback level in Volumio. I'm talking about the gain controls in Alsamixer, shown here in this post: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?37480-Analog-Dinosaur-succumbs-to-the-joys-of-FBA-enter-Raspberry-Pi-2-IQ-Audio-DAC-!!&p=635794#post635794 in terms of the two Playback settings.

Have you adjusted those, Granty?

96 is rather high to be using for all recordings, as when you hit one that's been heavily compressed (recorded at a very high level), at 96 you'll be going into clipping.... If you've got the two Playback settings in Alsamixer maxed out (set to 100), with most recordings, you shouldn't need to use a PCM level of 96, unless you have a very insensitive/low-gain preamp.

Marco.

struth
02-06-2015, 07:53
There is only one control for playback level in Volumio. I'm talking about the gain controls in alsamixer, shown here in this post: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?37480-Analog-Dinosaur-succumbs-to-the-joys-of-FBA-enter-Raspberry-Pi-2-IQ-Audio-DAC-!!&p=635794#post635794 in terms of the two Playback settings.

Have you adjusted those, Granty?

96 is rather high to be using for all recordings, as when you hit one that's been heavily compressed (recorded at a very high level), at 96 you'll be going into clipping.... If you've got the two Playback settings in alsamixer maxed out (set to 100), with most recordings, you shouldn't need to use a PCM level of 96, unless you have a very insensitive/low-gain preamp.

Marco.

Ah, Not managed that tbh. I tried to use something called Putty, but it didnt work...possibly my firewall, and possibly my inability to work it properly....tbh its all dutch to me until I am physically shown lol. never mind, It seems to sound fine , even that I re imaged volumio it sounds ok to me... maybe not quite as good as it did, but that may be that I am getting used to it and it may be that Rich had set it initially.
If I find someone who knows how, I will twist their arm.

Marco
02-06-2015, 08:02
Yup, with a Windows machine, it's Putty you need to use to access Alsamixer. In that case, I can tell you that you got much more to come from the RPi, once you get that sorted! :)

Marco.

struth
02-06-2015, 08:15
Yup, with a Windows machine, it's Putty you need to use to access Alsamixer. In that case, I can tell you that you got much more to come from the RPi, once you get that sorted! :)

Marco.

maybe Marco. Rich might have done it when he had it. dunno.

Marco
02-06-2015, 08:29
If you're getting away with using a PCM level of 96, without it sounding loud and distorted with most recordings, then I suspect the level boosts in Alsamixer haven't been used.

Marco.

struth
02-06-2015, 08:41
would say it is about the same as my cd player and vinyl level. i dont have to adj much if at all at that level. in fact i can get away with 100. im using the proArt amp now so things may be different as not really had a chance to experiment.
when i tried putty it kept saying sonething...firgot what but when i looked it up is suggested it was a firewall problem. i switched the pc firewall off but it didnt help..so might be the router firewall. would need to go into its settingsand will need to look up the password to get into that. plusnet used individual passwords unlike most companies

mikmas
02-06-2015, 10:14
would say it is about the same as my cd player and vinyl level. i dont have to adj much if at all at that level. in fact i can get away with 100. im using the proArt amp now so things may be different as not really had a chance to experiment.
when i tried putty it kept saying sonething...firgot what but when i looked it up is suggested it was a firewall problem. i switched the pc firewall off but it didnt help..so might be the router firewall. would need to go into its settingsand will need to look up the password to get into that. plusnet used individual passwords unlike most companies

If you have a spare keyboard and HDMI lead you can go into the Pi output on your monitor/TV ... no putty or terminal required and no log-in :)
Lash the HDMI and keyboard up and start the Pi and you should get a screen full of the usual scrolling programming gobledygook. Once that stops and you get the big Volumio graphic you can key in 'alsamixer' (without quotes) and the screen will bring up the display with the volume bars. Use the left-right keyboard arrows to highlight the different bars and the up-down arrows to set levels....press escape when you're done

Simpkles ;)

struth
02-06-2015, 10:29
If you have a spare keyboard and HDMI lead you can go into the Pi output on your monitor/TV
Lash the HDMI and keyboard up and start the Pi and you should get a screen full of the usual scrolling programming gobledygook. Once that stops and you get the big Volumio graphic you can key in 'alsamixer' (without quotes) and the screen will bring up the display with the volume bars. Use the left-right keyboard arrows to highlight the different bars and the up-down arrows to set levels....press escape when you're done

Simpkles ;)
Cheers Mike...that sounds more like my cuppa tea[emoji12]

Tony Moore
02-06-2015, 12:10
1. How easy to set up depends on what you want to do with it and which player you load. piCorePlayer is a doddle, Volumio is a bit more fiddly but works fine if your demands aren't too great. I wanted a standalone music player for when away from home and that wasn't such an easy journey. piCorePlayer is great as it runs in memory once booted so you can power off without worry. But piCorePlayer relies on having a LMS running and that is a whole different kettle of fish. I did get piCorePlayer working on one Pi and LMS on another, with LMS Pi acting as a Wifi hotspot and the piCorePlayer Pi connecting to it. Then using phone to control it all via the wifi link. It worked but was too sluggish and buggy to be really a practical solution. Then I went to Volumio and made that Pi a Wifi hotspot. This works far better but Volumio is a bit over the top for my needs.

2 & 3 My requirements were for a "remote" system for travel and previously I was/am using a Colorfly C3. The ColorFly plays FLAC files and sounds VERY nice. User interface is pants though. Plus it requires MicroSD cards with the music on. A shame it can't read a USB HDD. I do also have a IQ Audio DAC+ and AMP in another location in the house, not my primary system.

4. It is very good for the price. The PI AMP+ is also a very nice sounding amp. The whole lot works very well together. Amazing value for money.

5. As mentioned, I have one IQ Audio DAC + AMP installation and one DAC+ on it's own for headphone listening.

6. The DAC + AMP rig is running piCorePlayer, the standalone headphone rig is running Volumio with a copy of all music on a USB 1Tb HDD powered from a powered hub, which also feeds the Pi and DAC power.

7. It's a great product. Even at a higher price it would be VFM. As it is it's a total bargain. You can outfit an entire house with systems for peanuts. Sound quality? Well, I can say without a doubt that the sound through headphones is much better than the ColorFly C3 playing the same files with the same headphones. Deeper, richer, more focused, easier on the ears. And the ColorFly gets good reviews. I did also hook the IQ DAC+ up to my main system to compare it with my custom TDA1541/Squeezebox Receiver rig. Sorry but the 1541 was much better. However, two things; I have a preference for the sound of the 1541 and also my rig cost probably 15 times the cost of the Rpi combo, uses I2S and is reclocked using a Tent clock and has about 10 linear power supplies so a bit unfair. If I hadn't already built the 1541 DAC though and was starting out then certainly the IQ Audio DAC would be a great place to start and build on.

8. Of course!

9. 8 out of 10.

struth
02-06-2015, 13:17
ok I have the alsamixer on screen. the pcm is set at 91..playback and playback boo. 0

is that ok?

Marco
02-06-2015, 13:21
Grant. You want the two Playback options set at 100 (full on), so that the red indicators show. Use the cursor arrows to make adjustments.

Then try reducing the PCM level to 86, and see how that sounds. If that level seems too low, increase it slowly from there. Use a quality recording with headroom (good dynamic range), as a test track :)

Marco.

struth
02-06-2015, 13:36
ok i pressed fe to get just playback. set the w playbacks to 100. set first one to 88....maybe too much...tried 85..couldnt select 86. seems better at 85 ..volumio is more adjustable now. set it at 90 for now...maybe 88 will be better...thanks all!

Marco
02-06-2015, 13:44
Cool. With both Playbacks set to 100, the ideal PCM level to use, if you can get away with it, is 86, as that's 0db, and theoretically where the least measurable distortion will occur.

Anything more than that is you applying additional gain, and hence arguably more distortion. However, as ever, use yer lugs to decided where it sounds best in your system, and also with which recordings :)

What I do is keep the Hardware option (volume control mixer) in Volumio enabled, so that I can tweak the PCM level, during playback (by adjusting the dial), depending on how loud recordings have been produced, and optimise things that way in parallel with the volume control on my preamp.

Marco.

Marco
02-06-2015, 13:51
How's it sounding now - better than before? Have you tried playing with the DSP settings? :)

Marco.

struth
02-06-2015, 14:04
wont set to 86..only 85 or 88 for some reason..so 85 it is...not looked into dsp.. is that further along the bar graph?
soundi!g good and volumio only needs about 88 to be in line with my other stuff i think

Marco
02-06-2015, 14:42
Excellent. Don't know why it won't set at 86... Not to worry, so you're no longer using something ridiculous such as 96! :doh: ;)

The DSP settings are where it says "DSP Prog", just along from the PCM level, shown here:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/538/fwcHpb.png

The default setting is 'FIR Interpolation with de-emphasis'. Try the one up from that (using your cursor keys to adjust), called 'Low-Latency IIR with de-emphasis' and see what you think. A number of us have found that this setting it adds clarity, improves detail and widens the soundstage :)

Marco.

struth
02-06-2015, 16:13
its on that and 87 pcm..100. 100. not really had a chance to listen as ive been allvgo today to get everything done...car goes into the vets tomorrow so i will be housebound

Marco
02-06-2015, 16:18
No worries. Let us know how you find things when you get a chance to have a proper listen, but that should be spot on now.

Good luck with the car. You can borrow the Brabus in the meantime if you want? :eyebrows:

Marco.

struth
02-06-2015, 16:42
No worries. Let us know how you find things when you get a chance to have a proper listen, but that should be spot on now.

Good luck with the car. You can borrow the Brabus in the meantime if you want? :eyebrows:

Marco.

If I got in it I would put it through its paces :eyebrows: dunno how long it'll be away. Just sold an amp so that'll help pay the bill.

The Black Adder
03-06-2015, 06:03
Good stuff guys...

I've currently got my DSP setting to the no ringing setting... I'm slowly going through them from top down.

Kit1cat
03-06-2015, 07:36
Downloaded a terminal app for the ipad yesterday which has allowed me to have a play with Alsamixer while listening to the Pi, have settled on the following settings, PCM 86 (but I have hardware volume control on), Playback 100%, playback boost 0% and DSP set to 'Low-Latency IIR with de-emphasis' this is sounding great to me. I have also started using a maplin switched mode power supply fitted with a S-booster via a usb micro power adaptor. Running moode player at the moment.

JPNut
03-06-2015, 10:53
That sounds like a useful app - what is it?

Kit1cat
03-06-2015, 11:57
That sounds like a useful app - what is it?

Serverauditor (SSH shell/Console/Terminal)

struth
03-06-2015, 12:53

Marco.

been trying out a few settings in the pi. now seem happy with 86. 100. 0. ringing less.:eyebrows: that is with the passive and the Wad

edit.. now that i read this it looks like a request list in a house of ill repute:lol:

The Black Adder
03-06-2015, 12:54
Tell you what... I'm getting blown away with this little thing. By directly linking up to the amp this thing is phenomenal. I feel sure that there is some proper synergy going down with the chain.

Ow!

Marco, out of interest, do you upsample or anything? Or is that a personal question .. :eyebrows:

Marco
03-06-2015, 15:25
been trying out a few settings in the pi. now seem happy with 86. 100. 0.

Nice one. I'd put the Playback boost (your '0' above) also to 100, as that's how the device is meant to be used, then if you're happy with the DSP setting you've chosen, the job's a good 'un! :cool:

Marco.

Marco
03-06-2015, 15:26
Marco, out of interest, do you upsample or anything? Or is that a personal question .. :eyebrows:

I'll upsample whatever you want, baby! :bum:

Marco.

Juha
04-06-2015, 09:50
1. How easy was the setup out of the box? Marks our of 10 (10 being hardest)
2 easy with Volumio image from IQaudio

2. What DAC/CDP were you listening to before?
RME 9632, RME DIGI96/8, Hegel HD2, Digidesign Mbox 2

3. Are you using it as your main source? (if not, where are you using it?)
Yes, on my main system

4. What has been your biggest revelation in it's sonic abilities/advantages?
Volumio plays many formats, device size small, many settings to try

5. Are you using it with an external pre-amp or directly linked to your amplifier?
Pre-amp Audiolabor connected on active Genelec/Yamaha NS1000

6. Do you have your music linked via NAS or direct USB link?
Direct USB disk

7. How happy are you with it in general (including price and performance)
Very happy

8. Is it a keeper?
Yes

9. Overall marks out of 10 (10 being the highest)
8+

I like the overall clarity in the sound. To achieve the good sound
all settings need to be right. For me it was Volumio, no re-sampling,
kernel profile Buscia, Alsamixer vol on 85, DSP FIR, good RCA cables.

On dac selection on my current setup I mostly use the RME DIGI96/8 pci
computer card from 2002. It just sounds more musical than IQaudio.
Perhaps IQaudio sound is too high quality. The RME has more grunt (= hiss + distortion).

struth
04-06-2015, 17:37
just a wee update.I connected up my mf buffer to the rpi iqdac combo. Sounds different with more bass and better depth to the sound especially behind the speakers .. of course its a better than average buffer so cannot say what a Chinese one would do for it. I had a yaqin buffer but it was no match for this one..Will leave it in for a while then remove and see if I want it back or not. I hope i dont as I like it with my cd player and dont want to buy another :)

struth
05-06-2015, 08:38

Marco.

tried some of the other settings but was getting drop outs Marco so gone back to your settings and stability is back. no more drop outs. the psu is a little low power wise so might have been asking too much of it on other settings i dont know.
Have to say if you get the chance to try a decent buffer then do as it gives off a different presentation

Marco
05-06-2015, 09:02
Nice one, mate - will bear that in mind. Now that you've got the settings sorted, you should be cooking on gas! :)

Marco.

pennepacker
10-06-2015, 13:41
How easy was the setup out of the box? Marks our of 10 (10 being hardest) 3/10
I use PiCorePlayer. The first time I installed I managed to muck up the image somehow, but second time around it was a breeze.

It replaced an O2 Joggler, which was booting to a Linux image with Squeezebox Player on it.

It is the main source in my living room. I have a spare/music room where a Technics 1200 is the main source.

It is clearly better than the Joggler to my ears. Much quicker to boot, too.

Direct to the amplifier

NAS (and Spotify)

Very pleased with it

Is it a keeper?
Yes