PDA

View Full Version : Tangerine Dream

Haselsh1
21-05-2015, 18:19
Just collected 'Rubycon' and 'Phaedra' from the parcel sorting office. All I need now is the weekend to be able to play them. I see from the instrument listing that the synth choice was almost exclusively the EMS VCS3. This is just going to be excellent methinks :eyebrows:

Barry
21-05-2015, 18:22
Just collected 'Rubycon' and 'Phaedra' from the parcel sorting office. All I need now is the weekend to be able to play them. I see from the instrument listing that the synth choice was almost exclusively the EMS VCS3. This is just going to be excellent methinks :eyebrows:

'Phaedra' is a lovely, relaxing piece to play just before you go to bed, especially if you have to get up for work on a Monday morning. Enjoy! :)

Jimbo
21-05-2015, 19:12
I still want a mint copy of Cyclone - just for Madrigal Meridian.:)

Marco
21-05-2015, 20:56
Got it (on vinyl). I'm a big Tangerine Dream fan. If you like Phaedra, check out Zeit, from 1972: totally trance-like ambient soundscapes, which send you to dreamy and far away places! :peace:

Marco.

zygote23
21-05-2015, 21:48
Absolutely love early TD. There is something quite primal about the early stuff; Atem, Zeit, Alpha Centauri, Rubycon, Phaedra, Stratosfear and Ricochet which is my go record at the end of a session. If you like these you should track down the Early Froese lp's too; Epsilon in Malaysian Pale, Macula Transfer in particular....sublime.

Sadly the latter years after the late 80's and the departure of Franke, Schmoelling and Baumann (not necessarily in that order) saw TD become a crass and turgid shadow of their once great selves.

Solrighal
22-05-2015, 00:03
I like TD too but I'm going against the flow to say I actually think my favourite is Exit.

Haselsh1
22-05-2015, 15:55
I have a slight issue with Phaedra here I'm afraid but on my brand new pressing there is a bit of distortion towards the end of the title track (side one, track one) which sounds remarkably like mistracking but is only on the right channel. If this is indeed mistracking then this is the only time I have experienced it in over quite a few hundred vinyl records. I am now wondering if it is actually recorded distortion on this new remaster but I cannot play the album again until I find out for fear of blowing my tweeter.

Barry
22-05-2015, 17:04
"... for fear of blowing my tweeter" (!) Just how loud do you play your records Shaun?

Solrighal
22-05-2015, 18:08
I have a slight issue with Phaedra here I'm afraid but on my brand new pressing there is a bit of distortion towards the end of the title track (side one, track one) which sounds remarkably like mistracking but is only on the right channel. If this is indeed mistracking then this is the only time I have experienced it in over quite a few hundred vinyl records. I am now wondering if it is actually recorded distortion on this new remaster but I cannot play the album again until I find out for fear of blowing my tweeter.

I've just played the original ripped by me in FLAC from a CD and there is a bit of distortion. Can you say where precisely you're hearing it?

Haselsh1
23-05-2015, 09:01
I've just played the original ripped by me in FLAC from a CD and there is a bit of distortion. Can you say where precisely you're hearing it?

Really sorry for taking so long to get back but I don't get in here as much as I would like.

The distortion is towards the end of track one, side one where things get a bit loud and messy. I don't having timings because of course its on vinyl but it is within five minutes of the end of the track and it is only on the right hand channel, it does not cross to the other channel. I just know how choosy tweeters are when it comes to distorted sound.

Haselsh1
23-05-2015, 09:04
I am only guessing here but I think it is a part of the recording as my system does not mistrack on any other recordings. At some point in the near future I shall probably check it out on a friends system who uses an Ortofon 2M Black on a Rega.