PDA

View Full Version : Analogue Interconnect Choices

Solrighal
21-05-2015, 16:00
Hi folks,

I'm looking for some advice about cables. Here's the story.

Since I bought my Project Ember headphone amp it's been connected to my DAC with 1m lengths of Linn Black interconnects. I thought the sound was pretty good if maybe a bit too bright for my taste. I changed it out for a 1m pair of Furukawa cables I normally use for my Xbox and was amazed at the difference! Suddenly the music had some weight to it but, (there's always a but), the top end had no sparkle whatsoever.

Then I remembered a pair of 0.5m cables I had years ago & had forgotten about. I went to the cupboard of Doom and raked about for ages before finding them. They're QED Silver Anniversary cables and they still - even after what must be 13 years - sound amazing. The bass weight is still there but there's a nice sparkly top-end too. The mids are also very clear. There's just so much more air to the sound now.

So why am I writing this? Well, the QED's are very stiff cables and the outer sleeves are covered in tiny cracks. My DAC (ODAC) & amp sit very close together and are both very lightweight devices so a really stiff cable can make them move on the rack. I don't want to have to resort to Blu-Tac unless I really have to.

I'd like to replace this short cable with something new.

It has to be 0.5m - 0.75m long & supple. It also has to be relatively cheap because I'm currently unemployed & my wife really can't tolerate any more hi-fi purchases right now. There's been a few lately.

It's been so long since I was in the market for cables & I'm totally out of touch with what's on the market these days.

One more thing. I know some people believe cables make no difference so, without being rude, I'd prefer not to hear from anyone who thinks like that. Life is too short & I believe they make a difference, to me. Not night & day certainly, but they can tweak the sound just right when used properly.

Thanks in advance for any advice given,
Gordon.

Ali Tait
21-05-2015, 17:15
For great cables at non foo price, a no brainer really-

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?33332-MS-Audio-Klotz-MC5000-interconnects-build-offer-for-all-AoS-members&highlight=Klotz

Solrighal
21-05-2015, 18:30
For great cables at non foo price, a no brainer really-

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?33332-MS-Audio-Klotz-MC5000-interconnects-build-offer-for-all-AoS-members&highlight=Klotz

Thanks for the link Ali. I'll check it out now.

Gordon.

Solrighal
21-05-2015, 23:50
Those cables look like a very good deal to me! The thing is I've been listening to music all night & I have to say this QED cable is bringing out things I have never experienced before. I'm now wondering if that's because it's a silver cable. I've read on other forums of people saying silver cables often sound brighter & more detailed. I'm not getting the bright (which is a good thing as I'm very treble sensitive) but I am getting the detail. Loads of it.

I'm worried that maybe no copper cable will do what this cable is doing.

Gordon.

Anthony K
23-05-2015, 19:31
There is a gentleman selling some chord vee3's on this very site , and for the price they are a bargain

Solrighal
24-05-2015, 02:31
There is a gentleman selling some chord vee3's on this very site , and for the price they are a bargain

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the heads-up. Yeah, £40 is a good price but it's too long for where I'm going to use it.

I've now moved stuff about on my rack & the QED is fitting in well. Not so convinced about the sound now though after a good few hours listening. There's an edge in the treble on some music that's a bit wearing.

Gordon.