PDA

View Full Version : "Trick Of The Tail" re-issue - what in God's name...?

Phil Lawton
21-05-2015, 11:39
Having recently upgraded my system, I've been trawling through my vinyl to hear the widest range of styles possible.

I put 'Trick Of The Tail' by Genesis on - it's a first press (purchased when it was released, too) and although mostly good, had a few crackles here and there. I went looking for a reissue and found a 180g version on eBay, new and sealed for under £14.

Bargain, I thought.

The label on the front should have alerted me...some blurb about "remixed by...", but I plonked it expectantly onto my turntable nonetheless.

O Dear Lord.

Whoever remixed and approved this was patently a fan of stadium-sound bands and their gigs. Collins' vocals are all beefed up and reverbed to the high heavens - sounds like he's playing Wembley, even on what should be the quieter, more intimate passages.

Tony Banks' keyboards, especially the rather spiffing Mellotrons on the closing section of 'Entangled', are almost gone, with guitars mixed up and to the front.

Truly dreadful - if you're familiar with and like the original, I advise strongly that you avoid this like the plague.

Now in the hunt for a near mint of the original.

talisman2
21-05-2015, 15:32
i agree with you , cannot beat an original pressing . trouble with buying off e-bay etc is that you might end up with another noisy copy like your own !!

Haselsh1
23-05-2015, 11:46
Yeah, gotta agree totally with you. I bought the SACD version and also Selling England. They are both dire.