PDA

View Full Version : Do not play this side

rdpx
20-05-2015, 22:09
I just fished out a very old box set from my dusty collection, and thought I'd have a little listen.

It is a 4 LP set of LE NOZZE DI FIGARO, His Master's Voice - Record Library Series LP No. 634

Side two of the first record looks like this, with the nipper logo etched deeply in to the playing surface three times.

Never seen that before, but sure enough in the booklet it is listed as: ALPS1312 (single-sided)

It's a joy to behold, and I thought that some of you might like to see it...

http://i.imgur.com/2os8cYc.jpg

rdpx
20-05-2015, 23:14
When the needle gets to the end of a side, it hits the final groove which instead of just ending in one concentric groove that clicks every two seconds, turns into an infinite repetaing groove that just swings the arm from side to side in a perfectly silent zen ballet.

I wonder why all records don't do this.

What a lovely box of records.

Barry
21-05-2015, 00:28
Never seen that before Robert - though not all records have a leadout that lead into a locked groove that would 'click' every half second or so. Many of my records have locked leadout grooves that are totally silent, yet are not concentric.

Gordon Steadman
21-05-2015, 06:29
But didn't you try it anyway - I would have done:eyebrows:

It might be a good test record for bias if blank or maybe it barks.

awkwardbydesign
21-05-2015, 07:51
But didn't you try it anyway - I would have done:eyebrows:

It might be a good test record for bias if blank or maybe it barks.
Not a good idea!
with the nipper logo etched deeply in to the playing surface three times

Gordon Steadman
21-05-2015, 09:16
Not a good idea!
with the nipper logo etched deeply in to the playing surface three times

Well you never know, it may be a clever secret message to the brave:lol:

Ali Tait
21-05-2015, 09:16
This has three sides with a drawing of JJ Cale's guitar on the fourth-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eric-Clapton-Friends-Breeze-Appreciation/dp/B00KOEQSRG

Phil Lawton
21-05-2015, 11:28
Boards Of Canada's triple album 'Geogaddi' has nothing on side 6, other than a pictogram of two adults and a child. Completely unplayable.

The run-out on Thom Yorke's recent album 'Tomorrow's Modern Boxes' is encoded with the drum machine from the last track, so it plays forever (or until you lift the stylus, whichever one comes first).

awkwardbydesign
21-05-2015, 12:26
Well you never know, it may be a clever secret message to the brave:lol:
And the message is - you have just ripped your stylus off! :doh:

Gordon Steadman
21-05-2015, 12:29
And the message is - you have just ripped your stylus off! :doh:

What's a stylus compared with the thrill of discovery?

Man didn't get where he is today..................:rolleyes:

rdpx
21-05-2015, 12:36
What's a stylus compared with the thrill of discovery?

Man didn't get where he is today..................:rolleyes:

Well clearly "DO NOT PLAY THIS SIDE" was like a red rag to a bull.

I mean it had grooves right? :confused:

The first and the final maybe 7mm or so on the side were just grooves with no NIPPER stamped in.

Pure silence.

Gordon Steadman
21-05-2015, 12:42
Well clearly "DO NOT PLAY THIS SIDE" was like a red rag to a bull.

I mean it had grooves right? :confused:

The first and the final maybe 7mm or so on the side were just grooves with no NIPPER stamped in.

Pure silence.

Good man:cool:

rossman
21-05-2015, 15:59
I have a similar record, but it has Columbia Magic Notes on the "Do Not Play This Side" surface. The Opera LP set came out of a box of given to me with the purchase of a pair of speakers.

The playing side is in poor condition but I have been using as a dustcover for the platter on a Lenco for a couple of years. (I know someone is going to ask for pictures but I'm not really very good at getting them posted)

rdpx
21-05-2015, 16:45
(I know someone is going to ask for pictures but I'm not really very good at getting them posted)

Can you post a picture?

:cool:

DanJennings
30-05-2015, 18:59
I have something similar, it's a Bat For Lashes single 'Strangelove'. It was a Record Store Day exclusive from 2012.

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp125/pogoyen/20150530_195508_zpsj65jpwd5.jpg
http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp125/pogoyen/20150530_195451_zps4qnot1ys.jpg