PDA

View Full Version : Surround sound advice required.

twelvebears
10-09-2009, 13:34
Right guys, I need your help.

Movies aren't my priority, but I would like to have some kind of surround set up. I probably just need some kind of surround decoder. However, my requirements/issues are:

1. Cheap as possible. Like I said movies aren't a big priority and I've just moved house, so cash is tight.

2. Should use my main amp and speakers for the front channels

3. Rear speakers could be active and run from pre-outs

4. Inputs/Digital feeds are a problem because my movies are either from my Apple TV or PS3, both of which only have optical digital outputs, and of course my Beresford a) only has one optical input and b) can't handle surround sound audio streams

Any ideas? :scratch:

The Vinyl Adventure
10-09-2009, 14:00
1: the sony 2400 is good value (we sell them at the shop i work in and i might be able to do you a good price on one (am i alowed to say that??))

2: yes

3: i wouldnt bother your just making it over complicated - the sony would be very happy powering rear speakers

4: the sony has very good conectivity

Codifus
10-09-2009, 14:02
Since you say that movies aren't a priority, would sticking with stereo be a possibility? I'm of the beleif that a richly developed 2 channel system (left, right, and especially depth) can provide just about as much acoustical enjoyment as surround.

To configure that setup, I imagine that like many DVD players, the PS3 and/or AppleTV may have an option to mix down the mutli-channel audio to 2 channel which it would then route to the optical outputs. Of course then you'd have to decide which optical gets attached to the 7520's single optical input:)

The Vinyl Adventure
10-09-2009, 14:05
http://www.testfreaks.com/receivers/sony-str-da2400es/

Alex_UK
10-09-2009, 16:46
I went down this route, bought a 2nd hand Yamaha processor for just the centre and rears, Kef centre and some Morhaunt-Short rears - but to be honest for the amount of times I used it when I could pump up the volume it wasn't really worth it - I've now stuck it all back in the garage, and have the Sky HD box or PS3 into the Caiman - as David (Codifus) says, you need to setup the Sky box/PS3 for 2 channel, but sounds brill through the Beresford - you can get 2 or 3 way splitters, for toslink, btw - 2-Way (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toslink-Optical-Splitter-Black-2-x-1m-Toslink-Cable_W0QQitemZ350249844730QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_3?hash=item518c847ffa&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14) 3 way (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-WAY-DIGITAL-OPTICAL-TOSLINK-SWITCH-SELECTOR-SPLITTER_W0QQitemZ260450230252QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item3ca40b1fe c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14) - I doubt they are the last word in quality, but for a cheap solution could be ok. I just swap, but mostly use the Sky box anyway as I've stopped buying DVDs/Blu-Rays as I never watch them more than once usually.

The Vinyl Adventure
10-09-2009, 17:06
There is def weight in that opinion! Especially if your not so much into films. I don't watch that many films either, but when I do ... Having the surround sound really adds to the experience!

Alex_UK
10-09-2009, 17:09
I auditioned the Denon "sound projector" last year - I was amazed at how good it sounded, and how well it worked - spooky, really - there are Yamaha ones as well - If I was going back to surround that's probably what I'd do.

The Vinyl Adventure
10-09-2009, 17:21
The yam ysp's are indeed very good, but you still need a sub, and they are only really at there beat in ideal room layouts!
I really like demoing the ysp's! They have a auto calibration system that checks the levels for the different speakers in the unit! When it tests the speakers that do the rear sounds, it makes these funny noises and it actually sounds like it's coming from behind you! No word of a lie I have sold them just on the merits of the auto calibration system!

Jonboy
10-09-2009, 18:01
I now use a Onkyo AV amp (About £400) into B&W M1 Satelaites (were £125 each) with a B&W sub (ex Dem), the amp has HDMI imputs as well as Optical, very versatile and probably a bit cheaper now as newer models are out, perhaps try http://www.richersounds.com/ I personelly think its best to keep your 2 channel set up seperate or you will comprimise the sound , AV processors are a bit thin on the ground now, i did use a Arcam A75+ as my front channels with a Yamaha av amp doing the rest of the channels as the Arcam amp had the relevent prossesor swithing to go from 2 channel to run on the pre out i think and into the Yammy, which at least gave a half decent 2 channel set up. If you are going to run av through hifi speakers try to use the same manufacturer for all the channels so the the tweeters all voice the same, hope this is of help or confused you more, like it has me trying to remember how i did it all:confused: