PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge suggestions please!

TheBaz
16-05-2015, 14:22
Hi guys, I'm soon going to need a new cart to replace my twice re-tipped and worn out Lyra Clavis Da Capo. Carts I'm thinking about include the Lyra Delos or Kleos, Cadenza Blue/Bronze/Black.

I have a preference for rock/heavy metal so I'd like something that is not overly warm sounding as I like a fast and dynamic sound. Then again, as a lot of my albums are poorly recorded anything too revealing might not be a good idea. I have a VTL 5.5 series 2 valve preamp with on board phono stage, and a rather old Boulder 500ae power amp.

Any suggestions or thoughts regarding a suitable cartridge, TT is an Avid Acutus with a SME IV arm...

hifi_dave
16-05-2015, 16:41
I'd definitely go for another Lyra. Not only are they fast and dynamic but you get 20% discount by trading in your old one.

Clive197
16-05-2015, 17:03
I'm on my second Ortofon Cadenza. 1st was the Cadenza Bronze and then upgraded to the Black. I've always loved Ortofon cartridges and have no experience of the Lyra, Delos or Kleos but Dave's suggestion is probably a good plan if budget is an issue as that 20% discount sounds good.

allthingsanalogue
16-05-2015, 21:40
Just bought a Delos. Superb, really punchy and dynamic, not soft in anyway.

Can not recommend highly enough.

TheBaz
17-05-2015, 10:35
Hi Guys

Many thanks for replies! Do you know if there is a long waiting time for Lyra's as one of them would be my first choice?

Also, is the cantelever longer in newer ones as with the Clavis I had to elevate the rear of the tonearm to allow the tonearm to clear the platter?

TheBaz
17-05-2015, 10:42
I'm on my second Ortofon Cadenza. 1st was the Cadenza Bronze and then upgraded to the Black. I've always loved Ortofon cartridges and have no experience of the Lyra, Delos or Kleos but Dave's suggestion is probably a good plan if budget is an issue as that 20% discount sounds good.

Hi Clive,

Many thanks for reply. Did you notice much difference between the Bronze and the Black? The Bronze gets a lot of good reviews, but I've seen a couple of posts where it is suggested that the Black is 'ultra detailed' and can expose a poor recording (of which I have 100's) whereas the Bronze is more forgiving.

Many thanks for your help. Making a decision on a new Cart is a difficult process becuase whatever I go for will have to last me for ages!!!!

Clive197
17-05-2015, 11:21
Hi Clive,

Many thanks for reply. Did you notice much difference between the Bronze and the Black? The Bronze gets a lot of good reviews, but I've seen a couple of posts where it is suggested that the Black is 'ultra detailed' and can expose a poor recording (of which I have 100's) whereas the Bronze is more forgiving.

Many thanks for your help. Making a decision on a new Cart is a difficult process becuase whatever I go for will have to last me for ages!!!!

Hi Baz

I found the Black a solid improvement over the Bronze. Certainly more detail and surprisingly less surface noise. Both cartridges can reveal poor recordings and if that is an issue than then maybe a less detailed range of cartridges maybe worthwhile. The Bronze is a warmer sound but no less forgiving of poor recordings.

The Bronze is now very difficult to get hold of as has been mentioned on a previous thread. I have spoken to my contact at Henly Designs and he told me that Ortofon have discontinued it at least for the time being.

hifi_dave
17-05-2015, 11:38
I, sometimes, have Delos and Kleos in stock but if not, they are usually just a couple of days away. Same for p/x Lyra.

ChrisKemp
17-05-2015, 12:05
You should check out London Decca Jubilee:eyebrows:

stevied
17-05-2015, 13:13
Lyra Delos just replaced my Dynavector XX2 its Very good!

Tarzan
17-05-2015, 13:41
Hi Clive,

I have the Cadenza Black and it is a fantastic cartridge, it is very detailed, but not analytical in any way ( in my system), kind to surface noise, very musical and smooth avery nice cartridge indeed.

Tarzan
17-05-2015, 13:44
Oops! forgot to mention the Cadenza Black has a very full sound. ( Again in my system).:)

6L6
17-05-2015, 14:19
AT-150MLX.

Don't discount it for being a MM nor for it's price. It's rather amazing.

paskinn
17-05-2015, 18:13
I wouldn't rule out mm cartridges, because I rather like them. Certainly fuller bodied than many MCs, you could make a case that the enemy of mms is fashion, not sound quality.
Mind you, this is not a widely held view....

6L6
17-05-2015, 18:32
you could make a case that the enemy of mms is fashion, not sound quality.

Perfectly said.

I have a friend who is on a kick collecting and using some of the very best MM that ever came out of Japan in the early 80's, stuff that was very expensive and rare in it's day. They are quite simply gobsmacking. And made with technologies (more likely production methods) that are lost to time and age... But the fact that they are MM is inconsequential .

Clive197
18-05-2015, 17:57
I have the Cadenza Black and it is a fantastic cartridge, it is very detailed, but not analytical in any way ( in my system), kind to surface noise, very musical and smooth avery nice cartridge indeed.

I think I said that. Oh well great minds think alike

TheBaz
14-07-2015, 21:09
:):):)Hi folks!:):):)

Just thought I would update you regarding my cartridge choice. As I had a Lyra Clavis I decided to take advantage of their upgrade scheme and traded it in against a Kleos!

Now, I know the rest of the system will have a BIG influence on how any link in the chain performs, but I am very impressed by this cartidge. On an SME IV it was easy to set up. I have the arm elevated just a touch, weight at 1.75 gms and loading at 100ohms-:

Overall I cannot fault this cart. I would describe it as offering a touch of everything. It has a healthy ouput providing volume and dynamics, it has detail, bass, body and seems to be uncoloured and neutral whilst being musical at the same time. It does not seem to like or dislike any kind of music, tracks well and has no issues with surface noise.

:):):)I'm very pleased with the purchase:):):):guitar:

The only issue I have is that the stylus is tiny! When I opened the box I thought for a second that I had got a dud as I struggled to see its tip! It just means you have to be really careful when cleaning it. It also seems to pick up more dust than other carts I've owned so clean records are a must.

PS - You get a bottle of Lyra's SPT cleaning fluid with it, but the applicator brush is tiny and (although I still don't need spectacles for reading) I have to use a magnifier to use it. Anyone any suggestions on how to use this product?

Tarzan
15-07-2015, 04:32
Good job Baz- do a little blog on how she is running in etc.:):):cool:

Box13
15-07-2015, 06:09
Best for sound, best colour for Rock!

LouisB
15-07-2015, 17:45
I'm at the budget end of cartridges and don't have a lot of experience, but if you also consider humble MM then I can't tell you how much I've been enjoying the Ortofon 2M Black.

Since getting it I've never really felt I need to upgrade it further (well, maybe one day) - it's crystal clear, detailed and yet still fluid and musical. Also quite low noise really. Good condition records could be mistaken for CD in that respect.

Just be careful of how you load it (low cap).

Still, I don't have much experience of high end carts so I'm just speaking from how much I enjoy the Ortofon MM, I didn't really know vinyl could sound _that_ good, now I'm kinda converted from digital for dedicated listening (still use digital of course for general listening, as so convenient).

RobbieGong
15-07-2015, 17:52
I'm at the budget end of cartridges and don't have a lot of experience, but if you also consider humble MM then I can't tell you how much I've been enjoying the Ortofon 2M Black.

Since getting it I've never really felt I need to upgrade it further (well, maybe one day) - it's crystal clear, detailed and yet still fluid and musical. Also quite low noise really. Good condition records could be mistaken for CD in that respect.

Just be careful of how you load it (low cap).

Still, I don't have much experience of high end carts so I'm just speaking from how much I enjoy the Ortofon MM, I didn't really know vinyl could sound _that_ good, now I'm kinda converted from digital for dedicated listening (still use digital of course for general listening, as so convenient).

Hi Louis, You're in good company as there are a good few 2MB fans here, I'll take claim to being at least one of the biggest - superb cart ! My only issue is I find it a real pig to set up unfortunately. If you've any any tips do let me know (pm me if you like, save taking the thread completely off course :) ) ?

LouisB
15-07-2015, 19:37
Hi Louis, You're in good company as there are a good few 2MB fans here, I'll take claim to being at least one of the biggest - superb cart ! My only issue is I find it a real pig to set up unfortunately. If you've any any tips do let me know (pm me if you like, save taking the thread completely off course :) ) ?

:) great to hear.

When it comes to setup I suspect I know far less than yourself. I think I was perhaps lucky with it. I'd like to do a full alignment on it sometime but for now I'm scared to fiddle with it until I really know what I'm doing. Don't want to risk making it worse not better.

Perhaps if you wanted to start up a new thread I'd be interested to learn from other 2M users, also to discuss phono stages to match these MMs too.

AlfaGTV
16-07-2015, 09:31
Congrats on the Kleos purchase! I'd say that the new series of Lyra carts are extremely good for the money, even though they are far from low cost! :)
As a previous owner of a VTL TL5.5 Series 2 Signature i would urge you to try a good step up together with the built in phono stage configured to MM operation. That's what i ultimately used together with my MC carts (Lyra Delos, Dynavector XX2 MkII and Benz Micro Wood SL. Even some DL-103 variants, as the 103SA)
Ultimately i let my VTL pre go and are back to solid state Karan pre and a Tom Evans Microgroove Plus X MkII and enjoying each cart without the added complexity of the step up!