PDA

View Full Version : Good wee get together at mine yesterday :)

Gazjam
14-05-2015, 11:19
Enjoyed having the guys round, good to meet Marco too.
Nice chatting about valve amps, analogue recordings and John Martin.
Thanks for the cakes!

A nice mix of digital and vinyl, with a bit of JM on video too.

Good day all round, thanks for coming over guys. :)

Firebottle
14-05-2015, 11:38
Excellent Gaz.

:worthless:

He he.

Gazjam
14-05-2015, 11:49
It is...but we should have thought to take some!

As compensation here's a picture of some sweeties...
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq61/gazjamster/20150319_104801.jpg

Roy S
14-05-2015, 12:19
Maynard's?

Gazjam
14-05-2015, 12:26
Maynard's?

Taverners...

Prefer 'em to Maynards by a long way.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Taveners-Wine-Gums-3-Kg/dp/B0083IOVZQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/279-5161508-9206732
3kg of the buggers!

Tarzan
14-05-2015, 12:57
It is...but we should have thought to take some!

As compensation here's a picture of some sweeties...
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq61/gazjamster/20150319_104801.jpg

Do not eat the yellow ones.:lol:

struth
14-05-2015, 12:59
you all seemed to enjoy the afternoon...nice one

Firebottle
14-05-2015, 14:50
Do not eat the yellow ones.:lol:

No, that's snow (yellow) :ner:

Floyddroid
15-05-2015, 06:35
Excellent. It's what it's all about IMHO

Gazjam
15-05-2015, 06:46
Excellent. It's what it's all about IMHO

Absolutely.
Few more of us lot hoping to make he next NEBO Steve.

brian2957
15-05-2015, 07:41
Yup , really enjoyed the day Gary . Good grub and good company . It was nice to see Marco and Dave again , and of course Tony . Five like-minded individuals sharing their thoughts and experiences on all things hifi and life in general , the craic was excellent too. :)
I must say the system was sounding very good indeed mate , in particular the turntable was really singing . I'm not sure what was going on here as I'm almost sure it didn't sound quite as good when I was over at yours a fortnight ago . IMO the Densem preamp is starting to show its true coulours following its refurbishment a while back . The digital side of things sounded excellent , probably one of the best I've heard . However , when Marco shoved his newly acquired LP on to the turntable things improved once again . I must say that this was a fantastic example of what a top notch vynil reproduction system is capable of , absolutely wonderful SQ.
Anyway , great day , great company , great music and a great way to spend an afternoon . Ta for having us over mate :D

Ali Tait
15-05-2015, 07:44
Sounds like you had a good day, shame I couldn't be there. What was the vinyl?

brian2957
15-05-2015, 07:55
Ello mate , how are you ? Hope all is well . Yup it's a shame you couldn't make it Ali , you would have enjoyed the day .TBH with you I can't remember the album :rolleyes:. It was an old Jazz album Marco had just bought . I must say though , it was an excellent recording and sounded absolutely sublime on Garys turntable . I'm sure one of the troops will be along with further information.

Gazjam
15-05-2015, 08:25
Hey Ali, shame you couldn't make it mate.

Marco played Duke Ellington "Blues in Orbit" and Tull live from Isle of Wight 1970.
The Ellington one sounded wonderful, analogue recording circa '57 I think?

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?18037-What-s-your-new-Fuzzy-purchases&p=648205#post648205

RichB
15-05-2015, 08:56
Sounds like a good day... c'mon though, tell us the kit and show us some pics!;)

We'll look forward to a Scottish invasion at the next NEBO.

wee tee cee
15-05-2015, 09:57
Aye...really enjoyable afternoon. Thanks for the hospitality!!

The vinyl rig really got me thinking. I have toyed with the idea of getting a turntable but memories from my youth of crackly shite recordings held me back. Gary's digital set up is as good as it gets but when he played Marcos brand new record the room went quiet. It really changed my opinion...it just sounded terrific.
Dave and Marco got to work on me with very plausible explanations that with a bit of careful purchasing a very good turntable sound can be achieved without breaking the bank.

After what I heard at Gary's place I'm sorely tempted.

struth
15-05-2015, 10:06
Aye...really enjoyable afternoon. Thanks for the hospitality!!

The vinyl rig really got me thinking. I have toyed with the idea of getting a turntable but memories from my youth of crackly shite recordings held me back. Gary's digital set up is as good as it gets but when he played Marcos brand new record the room went quiet. It really changed my opinion...it just sounded terrific.
Dave and Marco got to work on me with very plausible explanations that with a bit of careful purchasing a very good turntable sound can be achieved without breaking the bank.

After what I heard at Gary's place I'm sorely tempted.

Ah! ....welcome home Tony :D

Gazjam
15-05-2015, 10:22
Beware going to the dark side...once it bites it bites hard. :)
But...there's just something about it Tony, you know?

Rummaging around record shops...you can't beat it!

I'd be buying second hand from an enthusiasts place like this Tony, you know it will be well looked after.
Best potential bang for buck (Imo) is going down the Idler turntable route, starting with the motor unit and sorting a plinth etc for it.
Your a hands on kinda guy and you'll have the satisfaction of having built it yourself.
Was going to go down that route until I saw a billy bargain Gyro in the classifieds (which I've modded the hell out of and was a lot of fun)

As it happens, I happen to have a Lenco GL75 motor unit I'm not using in as close to mint as you could hope for.
Yours for the price of a chocolate biscuit with my coffee next time I'm over at yours.
Just another option mate, summit to mull over.

Have a look in the Lenco forum...mad keen turntablists from around the world, great info there, DIY builds, top tips..troubleshooting - very helpful.
http://www.lencoheaven.net

Gazjam
15-05-2015, 10:25
Sounds like a good day... c'mon though, tell us the kit and show us some pics!;)
We'll look forward to a Scottish invasion at the next NEBO.

Photo of the wheel of steel...
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq61/gazjamster/20150317_085633.jpg

struth
15-05-2015, 11:07
Beware going to the dark side...once it bites it bites hard. :)
But...there's just something about it Tony, you know?

Rummaging around record shops...you can't beat it!

I'd be buying second hand from an enthusiasts place like this Tony, you know it will be well looked after.
Best potential bang for buck (Imo) is going down the Idler turntable route, starting with the motor unit and sorting a plinth etc for it.
Your a hands on kinda guy and you'll have the satisfaction of having built it yourself.
Was going to go down that route until I saw a billy bargain Gyro in the classifieds (which I've modded the hell out of and was a lot of fun)

As it happens, I happen to have a Lenco GL75 motor unit I'm not using in as close to mint as you could hope for.
Yours for the price of a chocolate biscuit with my coffee next time I'm over at yours.
Just another option mate, summit to mull over.

Have a look in the Lenco forum...mad keen turntablists from around the world, great info there, DIY builds, top tips..troubleshooting - very helpful.
http://www.lencoheaven.net

got a lenco arm:eyebrows:

Ali Tait
15-05-2015, 11:27
Ello mate , how are you ? Hope all is well . Yup it's a shame you couldn't make it Ali , you would have enjoyed the day .TBH with you I can't remember the album :rolleyes:. It was an old Jazz album Marco had just bought . I must say though , it was an excellent recording and sounded absolutely sublime on Garys turntable . I'm sure one of the troops will be along with further information.

Aye good thanks, yes would have liked to have been there, shame work got on the way. Gaz, was the Ellington an original or a reissue?

Gazjam
15-05-2015, 12:17
Reissue Ali as far as I know, it was brand new.
Not a 180 but sounded extremely good.
Could tell the improvement with full analogue recording over the next few LPs we played.

struth
15-05-2015, 12:22
there is a reissue 180gm around as i have it in my basket lol...not pulled the trigger yet though...there is also a digitally restored version which has a different cover...might be Dutch.

Ali Tait
15-05-2015, 12:26
Yep, there is also a 45rpm version..

Gazjam
15-05-2015, 12:38
Felt quite lightweight for a 180..but Marco's yer man for which one it was. :)

Floyddroid
15-05-2015, 14:56
Fantastic. I'll get the wine gums in then even though 'm more of sports mixtures man myself.
Absolutely.
Few more of us lot hoping to make he next NEBO Steve.

Gazjam
15-05-2015, 18:24
Either good for me Steve!

wee tee cee
15-05-2015, 19:12
Gaz,
A lenco motor.....majik-let me get hands on and make my own mistakes....start of a journey, but with my recent experience an awful lot of very enthusiastic people there to help you if you stumble on the path.

Gazjam
15-05-2015, 20:20
Gaz,
A lenco motor.....majik-let me get hands on and make my own mistakes....start of a journey, but with my recent experience an awful lot of very enthusiastic people there to help you if you stumble on the path.

You betcha. :)

brian2957
15-05-2015, 20:25
Hah nice one Tony . Enjoy the journey :)

Marco
22-05-2015, 09:36
Aye good thanks, yes would have liked to have been there, shame work got on the way. Gaz, was the Ellington an original or a reissue?

Reissue, Ali. I bought my copy in Monorail in Glasgow. However, you can order it online at Juno: http://www.juno.co.uk/products/blues-in-orbit/445535-01/?currency=GBP&flt=1&gclid=CPaavIeF1cUCFcgSwwodzGIApw It's an absolute MUST (and a bargain at £17.99) if you're a jazz music fan, and also wish to hear what vinyl replay is capable of, with a genuinely audiophile all-analogue recording, which shows off fully what the latter is sonically capable of.

Played on a top-notch T/T, it blows any (fucked about with) digital recording of this album into the weeds [and I know because I've also got it on CD and as a file on my NAS]!! :eek:

The whole album on YouTube:

Z3xqxDb5j7E&list=PLL7h86fKhGSj2Ip9shndVaEHg15CWn8mQ

Marco.

Marco
22-05-2015, 10:10
Rather late to this thread, folks! Been quite busy catching up with a few things since returning from Scotland, so not much time for posting :)

I'd just like to say thanks to Gaz for hosting a great little get together, and it was nice meeting you at long last! You've got a superb sounding system, mate, which (as good as the Mini T's are) is only destined to get better with the arrival of Nick's 300B box of thermionic lurveliness.... Can't wait to find out how that one goes!

Your Gyrodec is undoubtedly one of the best I've heard (no doubt in part due to having been set up by Johnny), and also one of the best belt-drive T/T's I've had the pleasure of listening to. All the respective 'bits' you've assembled simply serve to demonstrate synergy in action, so if you have plans to further upgrade your T/T, make sure not to disturb that synergy.

If I were you, I'd forget all about an SME V, and fit a PU7. Trust me, sonically, it will blow the SME into the weeds and in turn offer greater SPPV, so only entertain an SME V if you're seduced by the badge! ;)

It was also a pleasure meeting Brian again, who's always great to chat to, and of course meeting Tony (wee tee cee) for the first time, who's a total hoot and makes my dirty mind (and scatological sense of humour) seem like that of a choir boy's in comparison!! :eek: :eyebrows:

It was also superb visiting Tony separately and hearing his own (very different system from Gaz's), and meeting his good lady, Louise. Tony's system is the epitome of K.I.S.S, powered by battery instead of the mains, which gives it a totally effortless, clean, grain-free sound - and one, which very importantly for me, gets right to the heart of the music, conveying all of its emotion in true goose bump-rendering fashion!

I could've honestly sat a listened to choons on it all day, as its essential musical character, cohesion, and style of music-making (scale and bass heft aside) reminded me very much of my own system at home. As such, I feel that Tony should be praised for his efforts, considering how little he's spent on his system, but what he's spent has been spent very wisely indeed. Clearly, ma man, there's fuck all wrang wi yer lugs! :respect:

Anyway, thanks again to you guys for hosting a couple of daftees (Snapper and I), and I look forward to another sesh next time I pop up to Scotland, when hopefully wicrackpot and Ali will be able to attend. Cheers lads, nice one! This is what AoS is all about :cool:

Marco.

Ali Tait
22-05-2015, 10:35
Reissue, Ali. I bought my copy in Monorail in Glasgow. However, you can order it online at Juno: http://www.juno.co.uk/products/blues-in-orbit/445535-01/?currency=GBP&flt=1&gclid=CPaavIeF1cUCFcgSwwodzGIApw It's an absolute MUST (and a bargain at £17.99) if you're a jazz music fan, and also wish to hear what vinyl replay is capable of with a genuinely audiophile all-analogue recording, which shows off fully what the latter is capable of, sonically.

Played on a top-notch T/T, it blows any (fucked about with) digital recording of this album into the weeds [and I know because I've also got it on CD and as a file on my NAS]!! :eek:

The whole album on YouTube:

Z3xqxDb5j7E&list=PLL7h86fKhGSj2Ip9shndVaEHg15CWn8mQ

Marco.

Thanks mate. I see there is a different 45rpm pressing, mastered from the original tapes via valve kit which might be worth a punt. 45 quid though..

Marco
22-05-2015, 10:48
No worries. However, given how UTTERLY STUNNING the recording I've recommended sounds, I'm not sure that I'd bother, as it's very difficult to imagine how it could be bettered.

Marco.

wee tee cee
22-05-2015, 17:26
Really enjoyed having two JM fanboys over. Snappers knowledge and insight was majik.....next time yer up give me notice, Lou does a killer coffee and walnut cake. Meatballs and a bit of italian red might also be prudent!!!

Marco
22-05-2015, 17:42
Yay - now yer talkin' ma lingo, ma man! We'll defo do that, and leave the vino to me ;)

Marco.

wee tee cee
22-05-2015, 18:31
yer on....

Gazjam
03-06-2015, 09:09
Thanks Marco,
glad you and Snapper enjoyed yerselves, it was a 'rer 'ter.
Great to meet you too mate, and sorry I kept you guys waiting for me getting back from the shop!

Really enjoyed sitting down and listening to vinyl, really enjoyed your Duke LP.
Arm upgrade...I was kinda swayed by the SME badge if I was honest, though now having read up on it I'd go second hand as I dont fancy buying a new arm that price and needing to get it rewired by Johnny to get it sounding as good as it can! :mental:

PU7, Audio Note One rewired with Ikeda wire or 2nd hand V rewired by Johnny.
Be nearer end of the year so have time to decide...might even just call it done and enjoy my records?

Another sesh at mine when the 300B Set power amps in place, as you say the Mini-T is very good but the valve jobbie will be something else altogether.
hopefully we can sort out something that ties in with a visit to the rellies. :)
Its good fun and what its all about.

Rather late to this thread, folks! Been quite busy catching up with a few things since returning from Scotland, so not much time for posting :)

I'd just like to say thanks to Gaz for hosting a great little get together, and it was nice meeting you at long last! You've got a superb sounding system, mate, which (as good as the Mini T's are) is only destined to get better with the arrival of Nick's 300B box of thermionic lurveliness.... Can't wait to find out how that one goes!

Your Gyrodec is undoubtedly one of the best I've heard (no doubt in part due to having been set up by Johnny), and also one of the best belt-drive T/T's I've had the pleasure of listening to. All the respective 'bits' you've assembled simply serve to demonstrate synergy in action, so if you have plans to further upgrade your T/T, make sure not to disturb that synergy.

If I were you, I'd forget all about an SME V, and fit a PU7. Trust me, sonically, it will blow the SME into the weeds and in turn offer greater SPPV, so only entertain an SME V if you're seduced by the badge! ;)

It was also a pleasure meeting Brian again, who's always great to chat to, and of course meeting Tony (wee tee cee) for the first time, who's a total hoot and makes my dirty mind (and scatological sense of humour) seem like that of a choir boy's in comparison!! :eek: :eyebrows:

It was also superb visiting Tony separately and hearing his own (very different system from Gaz's), and meeting his good lady, Louise. Tony's system is the epitome of K.I.S.S, powered by battery instead of the mains, which gives it a totally effortless, clean, grain-free sound - and one, which very importantly for me, gets right to the heart of the music, conveying all of its emotion in true goose bump-rendering fashion!

I could've honestly sat a listened to choons on it all day, as its essential musical character, cohesion, and style of music-making (scale and bass heft aside) reminded me very much of my own system at home. As such, I feel that Tony should be praised for his efforts, considering how little he's spent on his system, but what he's spent has been spent very wisely indeed. Clearly, ma man, there's fuck all wrang wi yer lugs! :respect:

Anyway, thanks again to you guys for hosting a couple of daftees (Snapper and I), and I look forward to another sesh next time I pop up to Scotland, when hopefully wicrackpot and Ali will be able to attend. Cheers lads, nice one! This is what AoS is all about :cool:

Marco.