PDA

View Full Version : Prometheus

hifi_dave
11-05-2015, 16:17
I was eagerly awaiting the TV showing of Prometheus last night. I did enjoy the film but thought it slightly disappointing and I was confused by the beginning.
Who was the big guy standing by Victoria Falls, what was he doing there and what did he eat ? It, obviously, didn't agree with him but what was it all about ?

Gordon Steadman
11-05-2015, 16:26
I was eagerly awaiting the TV showing of Prometheus last night. I did enjoy the film but thought it slightly disappointing and I was confused by the beginning.
Who was the big guy standing by Victoria Falls, what was he doing there and what did he eat ? It, obviously, didn't agree with him but what was it all about ?
That was an engineer dissolving so his DNA could make us humans - obvious, come on Dave, keep up.

I have to say I enjoyed the film and found it a good link to how the whole thing started.

hifi_dave
11-05-2015, 16:31
Oh right. Did it start with a timeline to give us a clue as to when ?

Why did the Engineers then decide to wipe us out ?

struth
11-05-2015, 16:33
I was not impressed 1 iota, and thought it was Scott's worst film .....shows the beauty of us all being different etc. IE why some love Tannoys and other Don't;)

Gazjam
11-05-2015, 17:15
Oh right. Did it start with a timeline to give us a clue as to when ?

Why did the Engineers then decide to wipe us out ?

Because they could.

All our (and the main characters) "search for meaning" meant nothing in the face of an uncaring creator.
That (for me) was Ridders' take on the "horror" aspect of the movie.

a Less visceral and elemental take than the original...or was it the sequel?...but the stuff with the Engineer vs the BIG face hugger was genuinely unsettling for me.

Kinda cool Scott didn't want to recycle something he had done before but have a different take on it...shows a set of cahonies.
Arguably it didn't work, for me elements of the script were stupid and took me out of the movie, but it was a good effort. B-

More looking forward to Neill Blomkamp's take on Alien than Promethius 2 have to say though....

Tim
11-05-2015, 17:25
Being a huge Alien and Scott fan, I was a little non-plussed when I saw it at the movies and I left feeling rather deflated. I have seen it a second time and I really enjoyed it, needs a third viewing I think now too.

There are errors in continuity with the Alien in the ship (time-line) but I can forgive him that. Try it again Dave if you can, like 'Inception' it's a movie I think you need to see more than once to really connect with and understand what he's (RS) tying to convey.

RichB
11-05-2015, 17:29
I took that they were going to wipe us out to clear up the mess from their experiments, one of which had gone badly wrong and led to their own devastation. Note the dead bodies they found with the chests burst open and the ghost things running away....

Gordon Steadman
11-05-2015, 17:39
but the stuff with the Engineer vs the BIG face hugger was genuinely unsettling for me.

i thought that creating the alien we all know and love from that joining was rather clever. The means of our creation together with the means of so many human deaths. Deeply meaningful and all that:)

walpurgis
11-05-2015, 17:51
I found it pretty average really.

I got the impression the film was trying too hard and didn't quite get there.

RichB
11-05-2015, 17:57
As a big RS fan, that was the 4th time I'd seen Prometheus and I'm still asking questions about it... I guess we're not meant to know for certain and that was a link in the film too... the girl with her cross and religion still believing in a creator.

I think Prometheus 2 will feature time travel in some way and that girl will find her engineers and poison their primordial goo stuff which is why they want to go back to earth and destroy us.

I've been captivated by the alien movies since i saw the first one when i was far too young, watched it through a gap in the living room door when my parents thought I'd gone to bed. I was terrified but I couldnt tell them why as then they'd know I'd sneaked out of bed and I'd have been in double trouble :lol:

That bloody thing was the cause of much nightmares for a young me, however by the time I got to my heavy metal teens the bedroom wall was covered in H.R. Giger pics... so much in fact that one of my girlfriends wouldn't go in there. Eventually realising the self defeating folly of this they were soon replaced with less terrifying stuff.

Didnt realise they were making a new Alien pic though, there was a franchise I thought didn't need a reboot...

Ali Tait
11-05-2015, 18:06
It's not a remake AFAIK, it will be set after Prometheus 2.

RichB
11-05-2015, 18:15
It's not a remake AFAIK, it will be set after Prometheus 2.

Aaah, i see.. thats another matter then... The AVP movies wore it out for me I'm afraid, got the sense they were wringing out the rag of the franchise but I'd give that a fair viewing.

Gazjam
11-05-2015, 18:16
Blomkamp had to "adjust" a few things after Promethius 2's story became apparent.
Ridley Scott is the producer on Alien 5, so a bit of cross pollination going on there....

Ali Tait
11-05-2015, 18:16
Yes agree. Still think there's mileage in the new films though, if they are done right.

DarrenHW
12-05-2015, 08:20
I took that they were going to wipe us out to clear up the mess from their experiments, one of which had gone badly wrong and led to their own devastation. Note the dead bodies they found with the chests burst open and the ghost things running away....

+1

I've been captivated by the alien movies since i saw the first one when i was far too young, watched it through a gap in the living room door when my parents thought I'd gone to bed. I was terrified but I couldnt tell them why as then they'd know I'd sneaked out of bed and I'd have been in double trouble :lol:

I too saw it at a young and impressionable age, although my Dad actually let me watch it :sofa:. He was on the crew and was one of his happier memories of the film game. In the loft there were a few boxes full of panels from the cockpit of the Nostromo (along with scripts, crew invitations, photographs, passes etc...) which were intended to be incorporated into my bedroom but never happened :(. Sadly they're all gone now, my Dad immigrated to New Zealand in 2002 and as he couldn't sell it took it with him, he died in 2010 and I have no idea where they ended up:(?

.... however by the time I got to my heavy metal teens the bedroom wall was covered in H.R. Giger pics... so much in fact that one of my girlfriends wouldn't go in there. Eventually realising the self defeating folly of this they were soon replaced with less terrifying stuff.

Unlucky, I did the opposite, I met a girl studying art and in an effort to impress her covered the walls of my dorm with Giger prints, she saw through it but must have appreciated the effort :eyebrows:.

Yes agree. Still think there's mileage in the new films though, if they are done right.

+1, but I also enjoyed Resurrection so make of that what you will :).

agk
12-05-2015, 16:38
Fantastic series of films all round although I do think it could be said that the AvP stuff dilutes the thing a touch.
May well be a generation thing as I was a young lad when Alien came out.

Btw. Anyone here see Sigourney Weaver as a sex symbol ever? Never did it for me.

Gazjam
12-05-2015, 18:25
Fantastic series of films all round although I do think it could be said that the AvP stuff dilutes the thing a touch.
May well be a generation thing as I was a young lad when Alien came out.

Btw. Anyone here see Sigourney Weaver as a sex symbol ever? Never did it for me.

She did it for me, especially when she was a bad girl in Ghostbusters...:eek:
Getting on a bit now, still got it.

Tell you what, She has a lookalike from when she was young, Summer Glau?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/Summer_Glau_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg
http://www.celebzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/summer-glau-at-tv-guide-s-hot-list-2013-party_1.jpg
http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/4700000/Summer-Glau-summer-glau-4734737-1600-1200.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-axJO4mOkvRM/Tx686l2V25I/AAAAAAAAHMs/953z4KAB30E/s1600/Summer-Glau-Profile.jpg

Right, off for a cold shower...

agk
12-05-2015, 18:43
Whoa there! Summer Glau is Fit (note the capital F) and a whole bunch of other fine things. The Weaver is ok but that jaw man, it just ain't right.

Seem to be going off topic here into realms better suited to the folk in an American Indian accommodation named forum.

DarrenHW
12-05-2015, 18:52
She did it for me, especially when she was a bad girl in Ghostbusters...:eek:

Indeed! Loved the skin head in Alien 3 but, hot as a bad ass Ripley clone in Resurrection, but Galaxy Quest was her best moment :drool:

Gazjam
12-05-2015, 19:45
Galaxy Quest. She does blonde good well does our Sig.
Sorry for the digression Chaps... :)

Gazjam
12-05-2015, 19:47
Whoa there! Summer Glau is Fit (note the capital F) and a whole bunch of other fine things. The Weaver is ok but that jaw man, it just ain't right.

Seem to be going off topic here into realms better suited to the folk in an American Indian accommodation named forum.

The ghost of Mary Whitehouse is alive and well! ;)

struth
12-05-2015, 21:40
Looks like I was the only one who hated it :doh:

walpurgis
12-05-2015, 22:28

I believe I sort of rubbished it too Grant. It wasn't up to much really! (in my opinion of course)

MikeMusic
13-05-2015, 11:59

No you're not !
I thought it was disappointing, tending to bollocks
Alien remade, not so well with great SFX

Barry
13-05-2015, 12:22
I watched it - and have to say have forgotten what most of it was about. Must have been good! But there again, maybe it warrants a second viewing. :scratch:

agk
13-05-2015, 16:46
It took me a couple of watches to get it straight in my addled brain but it's well worth it if you are a fan of the Alien series of films.
As a prequel it sets things up nicely.

DSJR
13-05-2015, 18:11

Dave, the screenplay went through loads of messing up and the editing did even more, so the basic 'plot' was diluted. The young Engineer at the beginning wasn't alone originally and the ending when the awoken Engineer was being 'impregnated' by 'Cuddles' the giant squid-thingy was shortened a bit as well... As for the Deacon, it wasn't supposed to be related to the Alien we all know and love. The second film should help to stitch it all together and it's been rumoured that Alian 3 and 4 will be all but forgotten as neither are really classed as 'canon..'

Loads here, if you wish to find out more -

http://www.prometheus2-movie.com/

Covenant
14-05-2015, 07:56
Got to say I am eagerly awaiting this: http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2015/feb/27/blade-runner-2-harrison-ford-ridley-scott-10-things-to-hope-for
If it is half as good as the original it will be worth watching.

awkwardbydesign
14-05-2015, 13:10
You are not alone.

AlexM
21-05-2015, 09:11
Prometheus was a massive disappointment for me. I have been a huge fan of Ridley Scott's visual style, but the script in this movie was so weak, the plot so disjointed and much of the acting was so poor it just completely took me out of the suspension of disbelief. The visual effects were 'ok' I suppose. I did actually enjoy it a bit more while watching it on TV last week, but still, it wasn't great.

I suspect I will still go to see Prometheus 2 / Alien x because a) I've got a short memory b) I would really love someone to make the definitive Alien-themed movie (apart from Alien itself, of course)

Gordon Steadman
21-05-2015, 09:36
It is always dangerous to try and compare any spin off film with an original that is considered a classic of its kind. There have been very few that manage to equal or better the original.

I enjoyed this film on its own terms and thought the way it filled us in on some details of the original quite smart. Lets face it, the original left a few unanswered questions too but the acting and atmosphere were so exceptionally good that they got glossed over. The mysterious is always thought provoking.

Spectral Morn
21-05-2015, 12:11
Got to say I am eagerly awaiting this: http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2015/feb/27/blade-runner-2-harrison-ford-ridley-scott-10-things-to-hope-for
If it is half as good as the original it will be worth watching.

Sigh - not possible to do a good sequel, best left alone imho.

There were a few books written as sequels but I don't think they did that well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner_2:_The_Edge_of_Human

Regards Neil

Gazjam
21-05-2015, 15:03
Interesting that Roger Deakins is on board as Director of Photography?
Not the original Blade Runner DP, but he has a strong template to follow and Deakins was responsible for Shawshank Redemption, Kundun, and all of the Cohen Brothers work.

Colour me optimistic, apart from Ryan Gosling being rumoured to star...

wee tee cee
22-05-2015, 17:38
The deleted scenes make a lot of sense....initial viewing was very much WTF.

A fine bit of cinema with a few viewings-darwinian evolution left intact with an injection of external malarkey.

Long chain fatty acids and lighting strikes aside!!!

Oddball
08-02-2016, 22:03
I enjoyed it , although ,I too was a bit over awed by what was really supposed to be going on.
Alien was a true classic but in a way , I loved Aliens even more ,as edge of seat stuff , with Ripley looking all sexy and hot and sweaty:eyebrows:

I would like to see Prometeus again , and try and grasp it properly