PDA

View Full Version : Just sayin'

mikecole
09-05-2015, 23:38
LP12 + Croft Integrated + Harbeth P3ESR = pretty fucking magical :)

walpurgis
09-05-2015, 23:40

You forgot to mention the cartridge Mike. :)

Wakefield Turntables
10-05-2015, 07:21

How we would you describe what your hearing? I always fancied having a listen to some Harbeth's.

mikecole
10-05-2015, 12:59
Cart is Linn Adikt (basically a Goldring 1042 in disguise). I was listening last night and it just sounds like music, not the sound of music, just music.

The Barbarian
10-05-2015, 13:04
You could do worse like a Techy front end :D

Tarzan
10-05-2015, 16:50
One of my 'wow' moments in audio came when listening to those tiny Harbeth boxes......:eek:

Enjoy your system.:cool:

hifi_dave
11-05-2015, 16:08
Harbeth and Croft is a very popular combination with my customers.

Tim
11-05-2015, 17:13
How we would you describe what your hearing? I always fancied having a listen to some Harbeth's.
You really must Andy, I know they are not for everyone and I have said this before, but I tried so many times over so many years of listening to Hi-Fi to find a sound I was really comfortable with. Every now and again I would listen to different speakers and I always said to myself, I know what I want and I'll know it when I hear it, but after many hours in dealers showrooms I would leave thinking well I like it, it's 'different' to what I have at home but it's not what I'm looking for and I'm not spending thousand's of pounds on something that is just a 'different' sound. Unlike a lot of those that chase their tails, 'different' to me isn't always better.

My issue with a lot of Hi-Fi is that it sounds like Hi-Fi, great if that's what you want, sharp, decisive, analytical, articulate, transparent, leading edge transparency, they were in the room with me (what a croc) . . . the clichés go on and on, but does it sound like real music? I am lucky enough to be able to attend a lot of gigs, often more than once a week so I know what I like. Harbeth speakers to me sound real, they make music and it sounds like real music, natural, uncoloured and as I expect to hear it when compared to the real thing. Subjective I know, but after many years of wondering where the holy grail of sound is, I now have it in my front room (thanks to hifi_dave) - music that sounds just like I think it should sound and I can listen to it for hours and hours.

You need to have them at home, you need to hear them over a period of time and then you just might sit back with a smile on your face and think to yourself . . . . finally :)

I would never buy another speaker unless Alan Shaw designed it, there is nothing else like them out there IMO (at any price!).

Rush2112
12-05-2015, 19:37
Hi it's great to find someone sharing their experience with some of the renown Hi-Fi kit that still stands the test of time. Although I have no real axe to grind with the Techie followers but there are simply more turntables out there than the Techie many of which can outperform the most modified Techie ! So to all you LP12, Xerxes, Rock, Anni, Voyd, Alaphason, etc owners get sharing !

hayche
16-05-2015, 15:10
Do you feel you are lacking at the bottom end in any way? I have my sights on the p3esr as a final upgrade for me but always wonder if the 70Hz bottom end would require a sub or not.

twotone
16-05-2015, 15:20
Do you feel you are lacking at the bottom end in any way? I have my sights on the p3esr as a final upgrade for me but always wonder if the 70Hz bottom end would require a sub or not.

I've been living with a pair for the past nine months and they are just superb, sometimes they're just 'great' and sometimes they are just 'outstanding' and on the odd occasion 'marvellous'.

My room is about 4m X 5M X 3M (high) and I certainly don't feel the need for more bass but I listen to a lot of jazz however on the odd occassion where I've been listening to a record that has bass then it's all there, maybe not earth shattering bass but you can hear it.

The big big test for me with anything 'hi-fi' in my house is my wife's reaction to what something does and she loves the sound from the Harbeths, mainly because, I think, that they sound fantastic at low volume on anything we listen to with them, TV, FM radio, Internet radio, streaming music, records.

Crank them up however and they are effortless with whatever you throw at them, never harsh or shouty.

Tony

twotone
16-05-2015, 15:25
You need to have them at home, you need to hear them over a period of time and then you just might sit back with a smile on your face and think to yourself . . . . finally :)

Nailed.

Tony

hayche
16-05-2015, 17:40
I've been living with a pair for the past nine months and they are just superb, sometimes they're just 'great' and sometimes they are just 'outstanding' and on the odd occasion 'marvellous'.

My room is about 4m X 5M X 3M (high) and I certainly don't feel the need for more bass but I listen to a lot of jazz however on the odd occassion where I've been listening to a record that has bass then it's all there, maybe not earth shattering bass but you can hear it.

The big big test for me with anything 'hi-fi' in my house is my wife's reaction to what something does and she loves the sound from the Harbeths, mainly because, I think, that they sound fantastic at low volume on anything we listen to with them, TV, FM radio, Internet radio, streaming music, records.

Crank them up however and they are effortless with whatever you throw at them, never harsh or shouty.

Tony

Sweet ! Your room is the same size as mine also.
I have just read that the bass starts to roll off slowly at 70hz all the way down to 35hz so a very nice bonus as I originally thought a fast roll off at 70.
One day within the next 12 months I will be joining you harbeth rockers :)

twotone
16-05-2015, 18:01
Sweet ! Your room is the same size as mine also.
I have just read that the bass starts to roll off slowly at 70hz all the way down to 35hz so a very nice bonus as I originally thought a fast roll off at 70.
One day within the next 12 months I will be joining you harbeth rockers :)

I've been playing about with them today Howard and brought them out into the room quite a bit (about 3ft from the front wall rather than about the usual distance of 12"), they sounded sensational but I put them back as they sound better with the TV and radio nearer the wall.

mikecole
17-05-2015, 11:21
I do have a sub that I use with mine. It makes them sound a bit bigger, but slows them down a wee bit. There a have been many occasions though when I have forgotten to turn the sub on and did not miss anything, especially at very low volumes. It was only after an hour or so that i begin to notice that things sound "different" and that is when I think about the sub. Tim had it right though about having them in your house for a while and listening for a good while. I listen most times while at my computer which is located in the back corner of the room. I listen with my back turned at an angle to the speakers and the music still sounds great.