PDA

View Full Version : Audiolab 8200 CD

Robprog
07-05-2015, 13:40
Hi everyone. I'm thinking of upgrading my CD from the Cambridge Audio 651 C to the Audiolab. Anyone have any experience of the Audiolab and whether it will be a noticeable step up? The rest of the system is Rogue Audio Sphinx driving KEF LS50 s

Clive197
07-05-2015, 14:12
Hi Robert

As an ex Audiolab retailer I can absolutely confirm that the 8200 CD player is in ALL ways better than the Cambridge.

Or to put it another way it's the whole staircase up.

Clive

Robprog
08-05-2015, 05:39
Many thanks Clive. I think I'll make the jump then!

jandl100
08-05-2015, 06:25
Yep, I agree - much more transparent, high rez and dynamic, bass is strong deep and well-defined. You do, though, have to watch out for a touch of brightness and a slight thinning of the mids when choosing partnering kit for the Audiolab, imo. Well worth taking the time to get it right with the Audiolab digital gear.

Robprog
28-05-2015, 11:55
Well I've made the jump but not, in the end, gone for the Audiolab but the Arcam CDS27. I thought I might eventually get around to streaming so made sense to me. I was able to play some stuff yesterday and I must say the before and after, compared with the Cambridge 651C, is astonishing. I'm hearing the instruments much more clearly and distinctly e.g. on the new live release from Yes: Progeny which I have been playing a lot this week. I am also hearing stuff that I simply was not aware of in the mix. Very pleased indeed. Only bugbear was getting the battery cover off on the remote was very nearly impossible. The remote also seems cheap and nasty compared to the actual CDS27 which is quality in look and feel.

Clive197
28-05-2015, 14:04
Enjoy your Arcam.

Arcam traditionally have a warm smooth sound and maybe not quite as incisive as the Audiolab but still very much better than the Cambridge.

A small suggestion, put a CD in and set repeat and leave for a few days. You DO NOT need to have the rest of the system on. You can still use the player but when finished just put a CD back and set repeat again.

Robprog
29-05-2015, 09:26
Okay Clive thank you, will do