PDA

View Full Version : Ortofon 2M Black

Jimbo
06-05-2015, 17:53
As a few of you may know I am a great fan of the Ortofon 2M black and have used this cartridge solely for the last 2 years.

It is a cartridge that I find I can live with for most of my vinyl collection which is very varied indeed. It has a healthy output and certainly marries well with my Croft amps which also need to be considered in the equation. However I am not blind to the fact there are plenty of other great moving magnet cartridges out there that may well be as good if not better.

So I would like suggestions for a possible replacement for the 2M Black (Moving magnet cartridges only)

I am looking for the same live, detailed, transparent sound this cartridge gives but maybe with a little more warmth as the 2M can sometimes get a bit edgy.

If there are no real alternatives then I will move onto a Moving Coil cartridge.:)

walpurgis
06-05-2015, 17:58
Decca? If you've not heard one, that will give you a shock!

They don't really come any more "live, detailed, transparent" and the speed will make your hair stand on end! ;)

Jimbo
06-05-2015, 18:02
Decca? If you've not heard one, that will give you a shock!

They don't really come any more "live, detailed, transparent" and the speed will make your hair stand on end! ;)

Hi Geoff, you are absolutely right and I may well go down this route. I did have a Decca Blue but it was a bit heaven and hell and could go over the top!

CageyH
06-05-2015, 18:11
Obvious choices have to be the AT150Anv if you can find one, or the MP500.
I have never heard any of them though, but do have and enjoy the AT150MLX (as well as a 2M Black).

walpurgis
06-05-2015, 18:29
If you liked the Decca sound try and find a dealer who's got a ZYX R100 H2 on demo. That has all the speed, detail, and transparency of the Decca in a more manageable package. It has a massive ambience and depth too.

I loved my Decca Blues too, but I agree they could be a little unruly. They dearer and more modern Deccas are better controlled, but somehow don't seem quite so ebullient to me (the Mk.IVs were great though).

The ZYX is twice the price of the 2M Black though, but no dearer than a decent new Decca, but the cost of a good SUT would have to be added to the equation. I've not heard a ZYX sound good on a SS moving coil stage.

Jimbo
06-05-2015, 18:50
If you liked the Decca sound try and find a dealer who's got a ZYX R100 H2 on demo. That has all the speed, detail, and transparency of the Decca in a more manageable package. It has a massive ambience and depth too.

I loved my Decca Blues too, but I agree they could be a little unruly. They dearer and more modern Deccas are better controlled, but somehow don't seem quite so ebullient to me (the Mk.IVs were great though).

The ZYX is twice the price of the 2M Black though, but no dearer than a decent new Decca, but the cost of a good SUT would have to be added to the equation. I've not heard a ZYX sound good on a SS moving coil stage.

I do intend to run a Decca again anyway someday but it would not be my everyday cartridge as it were. I can run two arms easily on my VPI so it would be a cartridge I would use whenever i needed a bit of dramatic excitement!:) I have heard good things about the ZYX so will be on my list!

Idlewithnodrive
06-05-2015, 19:36
My AN IQ3 usurped my 2M Black. Similar to the 2M Black, just a touch more natural and musical and a lot more forgiving of less than absolutely perfect set-up.

The IQ2 I use as a daily runner isn't too far behind either.

Clive197
06-05-2015, 21:09
When correctly set-up, the 2M Black is one of the best MM cartridges you can buy. Of coarse there are other cartridges around that will sound different but that does not necessarily make them better. Only your ears can tell you what sonic signature is preferable.

IMHO opinions can only be a starting point.

Clive

julesd68
06-05-2015, 21:23
If you are looking for a little more warmth from the cart I can recommend the Garrott P77i - http://garrottbrothers.com/p77i-cartridge

The Nagaoka MP500 would be a good alternative. I found the P77i a slightly more dynamic performer than the superb MP50 which was my previous cart ...

Jimbo
06-05-2015, 21:24
When correctly set-up, the 2M Black is one of the best MM cartridges you can buy. Of coarse there are other cartridges around that will sound different but that does not necessarily make them better. Only your ears can tell you what sonic signature is preferable.

IMHO opinions can only be a starting point.

Clive

Yep your right Clive - just wanted to see what other folk thought maybe good alternatives out there. If nothing grabs me in the same way it will be a new stylus for the 2m Black!

On another matter I notice you are a bit of a Chord cable fan, I have recently purchased another Chameleon VEE 3 after trying it in my system - beat loads of other cables hands down. I have also tried the Signature, Indigo and the Sarum tuned Array but could not afford them -They are truly amazing but flippin amazin price.

Firebottle
07-05-2015, 06:35
Hi James,
As you mention 'a bit edgy' have you tried experimenting with the loading for the Black? I guess not as there isn't provision on the Croft.

A Y connector such as this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151103810623?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT plus some phono plugs with differing values of capacitor fitted might be worth trying.

Anyone else varied the loading with the Black?

:) Alan

Clive197
07-05-2015, 08:12
Yep your right Clive - just wanted to see what other folk thought maybe good alternatives out there. If nothing grabs me in the same way it will be a new stylus for the 2m Black!

On another matter I notice you are a bit of a Chord cable fan, I have recently purchased another Chameleon VEE 3 after trying it in my system - beat loads of other cables hands down. I have also tried the Signature, Indigo and the Sarum tuned Array but could not afford them -They are truly amazing but flippin amazin price.

Hi James
Glad you like Chord cables. I got mine while working in the trade which allowed me certain perks, sadly as I now work for the Department of Works and Pensions ( I must do, they keep paying me) that little advantage no longer applies and if I wanted to change I would pay the same price as you. I did change my digital cables for my CD and streamer from Chord Indigo to Missing Link Binary Star and found them a slight improvement at less than half the price of the Indigo's.

Clive