PDA

View Full Version : Live Albums

Audio Al
20-04-2015, 19:08
I am rather enjoying the Tina Turner Live in Europe :)

All the best tracks performed live in concerts , The slightly different edge on the reproduction live and with the crowd participation , takes it 2 another level :)

This is a great album ( Double ) in really good condition ( last Sundays boot sale find ) one of the best 50p I have ever spent , not found a click or pop , its in mint condition also came with a plastic outer cover

Capitol Records

Back 2 Tina now :D

Audio Al
21-04-2015, 18:03
Now playing LP 2

Live with Eric Clapton, David Bowie and Brian Adams

It gets better and better :D

Anthony K
21-04-2015, 18:21
Was listening to Herbie Hancock Flood and Thin Lizzy Dangerous both great

Audio Al
21-04-2015, 18:22
Was listening to Herbie Hancock Flood and Thin Lizzy Dangerous both great

Are they live albums ?

The Barbarian
21-04-2015, 18:25
Im not a fan of commercially released live albums for a number of reasons. One being they never capture the actual atmosphere of the venue like a booty recording would.

Joe
21-04-2015, 18:28
Im not a fan of commercially released live albums for a number of reasons. One being they never capture the actual atmosphere of the venue like a booty recording would.

The Velvet Underground's 'Live At Max's Kansas City' does. It was recorded from the audience by someone with a cassette player and hand-held mike. You can barely hear the band sometimes above the audience chatter.

Anthony K
21-04-2015, 18:35
Yes both live . Flood being my fave live of all time

Idlewithnodrive
25-04-2015, 21:14
Something a little different; not the usual suspects we always hear about -

The Joy Division - Les Bains Douches is very good for atmosphere, as is -

Concert -The Cure Live and

David Bowie - David

mikmas
25-04-2015, 23:33
The only live album I remember with any enthusiasm is 'Five Live Yardbirds' ... everything else was downhill after that (particularly 'The Who Live at Leeds')

Too many show how piss poor a lot of band performances are if you're not there and reasonably tanked up :lol:

johnB
26-04-2015, 16:31
Currently enjoying triple LP -Eels Live at Royal Albert Hall - and have preordered Ryan Adams multi LP Live at Carnegie Hall out in June I think.

Barry
29-04-2015, 01:18

You mean sounding as though someone has recorded it with a portable cassette recorder at the bar, where you can hear the conversation of those around the recordist better than you can hear the group or artist(s) on stage? :rolleyes:

Modern live recordings are so much better than they were in the '70s - no more endless audience applause and rapture; no more badly positioned mics; no more lousy mixing ....., and IMO they do now capture the atmosphere and acoustic of the performance and venue.

Phil Lawton
21-05-2015, 12:37
"Bursting Out" - Jethro Tull.

Just the best non-Zappa live album ever.

Desmo
21-05-2015, 13:02
P.J. Harvey - "Europe 1993"

but it's a bootleg. Recorded live at the Forum in London in June 1993, I was in the audience that night, and the recording does capture the atmosphere. Sounds like it was captured at the mixing desk :-) Her cover of Highway 61 revisited is particularly memorable.

Pete The Cat
05-06-2015, 22:19
Three at random.

Oasis "Noel Gets To the Point" Soundboard
One of those gigs (Dublin Point, hence the title) where the younger brother didn't show so England's greatest busker did the vocals and nailed it.

Led Zeppelin "Electric Magic Over Dallas" Soundboard
Really up for it performance, albeit with occasionally distorted vocals, and a better live version of "Communication Breakdown" than any of the commercial releases IMHO. More than one version down the years though.

Propaganda "Rock City, Nottingham 30-10-85" Audience
Just because I was there.

Being a realist, 90% of boots are for information only, but I could keep this list going for a month. Look how many soundboards or FM broadcasts are now becoming part of re-released / deluxe editions of commercial albums nowadays.

Pete

Tarzan
06-06-2015, 10:47

l sort of agree Andre' however having heard and enjoyed;

'Humble Pie Performance rockin' the Fillmore',

Atmosphere is easily captures- 'l don't need no doctor!':rock:

Pete The Cat
20-06-2015, 20:02
Following this afternoon's session, two more:

http://theprodigy.info/discography/bootlegs/live/Extacy_Of_Violence/TheExtacyOfViolence.JPG

The Prodigy "The Extacy Of Violence". From the Pink Pop Festival in 1996, this one's a soundboard capturing them on the cusp of "The Fat Of the Land" as one of the best live draws of the past 20 years. Not perfect (the bass is quite polite whereas seeing them outdoors the land rumbles like a fracking experiment) but it helped to fill the surprisingly long gap before an official live set. Maxim is on the prowl in fill effect.

Julian Cope "Live At Glastonbury 2003". Possibly from a broadcast. Acoustic set with bags of between song banter, almost "An audience with...Julian Cope." Spontaneous sounding, as live music should be.

I could go on...

Pete

The Black Adder
20-06-2015, 20:06
Nauwty, Nauwty...!

Nice one... I've seen the Prodigy a couple of times over the years.

The Black Adder
20-06-2015, 20:08
P.J. Harvey - "Europe 1993"

but it's a bootleg. Recorded live at the Forum in London in June 1993, I was in the audience that night, and the recording does capture the atmosphere. Sounds like it was captured at the mixing desk :-) Her cover of Highway 61 revisited is particularly memorable.

Cool.. Seen Polly quite a few times... love her. Amazing live...

Meloski
22-06-2015, 04:00
I think The Grateful Dead may have a few live recordings.

dougmon
03-07-2015, 17:50
Listened just this morning to "Johnny Winter And Live". I grew up with this album and it's still a favorite. One of the loosest performances I've ever heard, but not sloppy. Well, not _too_ sloppy. :)

Pete The Cat
23-12-2015, 20:58
There's an extensive series of recordings of hour long live sets performed on French radio, known as "The Black Sessions". They were played in front of a small studio audience for the Bernard Lenoir programme, who I've heard referred to as being the French John Peel. Fairly much every indie band of the 90s and 00s did one of these sessions and they were released on the Sangatte label on CD, however I believe that they're bootlegs.

Anyway, there's a storming 1997 set by The Verve both musically and also because Richard Ashcroft is clearly annoyed, either with the lack of atmosphere in the studio from the invited audience, or with his bandmates. I'm not aware of as good a live recording of The Verve in their "Urban Hymns" pomp and having seen their rather pale efforts the following year when BJ Cole was in place of Nick McCabe this live album is a snapshot of a potential that they had only begun to realise.

Pete

Pete The Cat
01-01-2016, 21:51
While we're at it, a curiosity on US eBay with links to the complete tape.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172012256377?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The bill for the original California Jam was astonishing - Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, ELP, Eagles - and yet as an event broadcast on radio and TV it wasn't entirely well served in terms of recording quality. Over the years I've ended up with 6 versions for Purple and Sabbath, commercial and otherwise, in the search for the grail.

This reel claims to contain first generation copies from the masters, and has several narrative clips which add a bit of flavour, even an interview with the backstage caterer. Having listened to the helpfully provided links it sounds like the Deep Purple tracks come from the same source lineage as the commercial CD release California Jamming on EMI, which although not fabulous (for example they both have the same tape flutter as David Coverdale begins Might Just Take Your Life) is better than the Live At The California Jam release on Pet Rock. The YouTube recordings are evidently compressed but those sections where the mix is stable have plenty of body. So far, so interesting.

Unfortunately though, the balance between channels meanders frustratingly, notably in the first minute or so of tracks before stabilising. The bass drops in and out of the mix in places, for example in Sabbath's KYTL. Obviously ABC TV weren't recording the festival with my pleasure 40 years later foremost in mind, but if these really are first generation copies then the commercially released versions must have needed a lot of cleaning up and you'd be a long time on Sound Forge to turn this into a satisfying listen - the Eagle DVD release Live In California '74 2.0 and 5.0 audio options have none of these flaws. That's before dealing with the bludgeon editing, which shows all the skill that any of us kids had when home taping in the 70s. If these are from source then missing the immortal ELP introductory line "Welcome back my friends..." or severing the opening riff from Burn are rather inept. KYTL cuts out midway. You get the picture.

I haven't had chance to compare the Sabbath tracks to other sources yet, but the fact that the most highly regarded version, Bagdad (sic) on German Records is in mono could suggest that the original stereo master had too many flaws. IMHO the value of this reel isn't much more than that of a second hand blank. Given that all other signs connect it to KLOS, which might well have been in possession of master tapes, it's disappointing. Still as the vendor says, listen before you buy.

Pete

Meloski
02-01-2016, 00:54
Lets add Band of Gypsies to this list. I think this recording captures a very special moment in time. I feel like i'm in the audience every time I spin it.

Pete The Cat
19-02-2016, 22:11
We're well used to tracks which were previously only available as bootlegs being added as extras onto commercial re-releases, but I'm intrigued to see more concerts which have historically been unreleased (other than as bootlegs) now being issued on "small" labels and being sold in major retailers.

Most seem to be FM broadcasts, for example -

Massive Attack "Live At Royal Albert Hall" - on the Royal Albert label

AC/DC "Back To School Days" - on the Smokin' label

Boston "Feeling It In Cleveland" - on the Parallel lines label

I'm not sure why. Has there been some change in EU law, or in copyright limits, for the likes of HMV and Amazon to be stocking these ?

Pete

DogsPart2
18-03-2016, 14:26
Hollies - Live (1976)
Superb performance and one of my favorite live albums.

Gazjam
18-03-2016, 15:25
This week I have been mostly listening to...

Allman Brothers Band - Live at the Filmore
Favourite live album...fantastic musicianship and boogies like a bastard.

Rory Gallacher - Irish Tour
Raw and ballsy guitar blues, one of those "in the room" recordings

Rush - All the world stage
Feels as though your there. Had about 5 versions of it..originally on tape in high school!

Harry Manx - Road Ragas
Intimate gig, really great quality

Zappa - Cant do that on the stage anymore
Wonderful way to forget your day, chill out, pull up a beverage and enjoy.

RobbieGong
18-03-2016, 16:32
Bob Marleys 'Babylon By Bus' captures the magic of a Marley live performance - tight, weighty, rhythmic, driving reggae bass lines that will definitely give your system / speakers a good workout :)

mik_rik
18-03-2016, 17:58
Wishbone Ash -Live Dates side 1.King Will Come Warrior and Throw down the Sword - to me are better than the studio versions.Imho

mik_rik
18-03-2016, 18:02
Nowt wrong with Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

ff1d1l
19-03-2016, 00:04
Best boot I've come across "Lyle Lovett and his Small Band", L L with (only) cellist John Hagen, though a Ry Cooder/David Lindley one with Joachim Cooder on percussion runs it pretty close.

Best legit live album, Taj Mahal "The Real Thing", recorded in the Filmore in the seventies. Brass section is four tubas, sound is great and the band tight as a gnats chuff, from Mr Mahals golden period.

The Deacon
20-03-2016, 13:10
Grand Funk Railroad - Album
Hawkwind - Space Ritual

clarkey555
20-03-2016, 15:18
Camel a live record superb on vinyl

vinyljunky
20-03-2016, 16:02
Wire live at rockplast heartbeat a memorable track another thumbs up for humble pie rockin the filmore also talking heads stop making sense

Audio Al
20-03-2016, 16:03
Simple Minds , Live in the city of light :)

surv1v0r
23-03-2016, 09:25
I think The Grateful Dead may have a few live recordings.Dick's Picks, particularly number 4. God alone knows why those are no longer available :scratch:

CD one

"Introduction" (Zacherle) – 1:51
"Casey Jones" (Garcia, Hunter) – 4:29
"Dancing in the Street" (Stevenson, Gaye, I. Hunter) – 9:30
"China Cat Sunflower" -> (Garcia, Hunter) – 5:09
"I Know You Rider" -> (traditional) – 5:04
"High Time" (Garcia, Hunter) – 6:51
"Dire Wolf" (Garcia, Hunter) – 4:23
"Dark Star" -> (Garcia, Hart, Kreutzmann, Lesh, McKernan, Weir, Hunter) – 29:41

CD two

"That's It for the Other One" -> (Grateful Dead) – 30:07
"Turn On Your Love Light" (Malone, Scott) – 30:27

CD three

"Alligator" -> (Lesh, McKernan, Hunter) – 3:55
"Drums" -> (Hart, Kreutzmann) – 12:31
"Me and My Uncle" -> (Phillips) – 3:14
"Not Fade Away" -> (Hardin, Petty) – 13:56
"Mason's Children" -> (Garcia, Lesh, Weir, Hunter) – 3:53
"Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)" -> (Grateful Dead) – 14:25
"Feedback" -> (Grateful Dead) – 8:40
"We Bid You Goodnight" (traditional) – 2:00

nigsy116
07-04-2016, 09:10
UFO have some 'New' material out in the form of the Live Sightings box set - For die hard UFO fans only but good value at £45 - 4 live cd's from various shows around the 70's; some have been available as 'un-official bootlegs' for a while.

Of course non match their true live release "Strangers in the night".

The only trouble with official live releases is how much touchup have they recieved in the studio to re balance guitars and raise vocals etc.....then how live actually is it?

martinjohn308
20-04-2016, 09:31
Double album of Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus superb.

Regards,

Martin

spm
23-04-2016, 20:38
My favourites include Live & Dangerous by Thin Lizzy, Get yer ya ya's out by Rolling Stones & Irish Tour by Rory Gallagher as mentioned previously but also made in Japan by Deep Purple , One more from the Road by Lynyrd Skynyrd, Cheap Trick at Budokan and my guilty secret Slade Alive. I had a compilation album Reading 73 many years ago which was stolen which I really liked but haven't heard it in 35 years ago, I ought to look to get hold of it again.

struth
23-04-2016, 20:42
Slayed Alive is an excellent one. Got that myself. Rat pack and Sinatra at the Sands are 2 of my favourites along with leonard Cohen in London also a super concert...none of them prog though bar slade :eyebrows:

johnB
23-04-2016, 22:09
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag89/Jrb1961/image_zpsiuggg4s1.jpeg (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/Jrb1961/media/image_zpsiuggg4s1.jpeg.html)

Love this.

Oldpinkman
24-04-2016, 07:29
I like wishbone ash live dates, not so much for authentic atmosphere, but as great chill music with the lights off.
(along with enigma mcmxxx or whatever the real number is. Best played with the lights off, other than maybe a log fire, in the company of a beautiful woman. Impossible not to score)
Thin lizzy live and dangerous was THE album of my teens. Escaped from school to listen to it at daves mums house most lunch time with the gang.
Made in Japan for me was the best of deep purple and Blackmore. I know hard-core fans would disagree, but I still feel nostalgia is not what it used to be.
And finally, Genesis seconds out, is one of my all time favourites. Especially side 2 especially forth of fifth. Suppers ready, not a patch on the studio version, is the only side I rarely play. The album is actually better recorded than the studio stuff before the lamb, but dare I say it needs good kit to reveal what's there. Especially low noise kit, since it needs a lot of gain. Thompson and Collins are superb on this

My version is not pristine by any means, but looking forward to demming it to cagey soon

:cool:

Canetoad
24-04-2016, 08:55
Heart - The Road Home. Anne Wilson's vocals are awesome! Produced by John Paul Jones.

Oldpinkman
24-04-2016, 09:22
Heart - The Road Home. Anne Wilson's vocals are awesome! Produced by John Paul Jones.

That's one I'd like to hear.

Canetoad
25-04-2016, 01:02
It's recorded in quite a small venue and, as a result, sounds very up close and personal.

Rush2112
03-06-2016, 14:29
This one is a testament to fine musicianship and an ability to interact with a French audience https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2a/Supertramp_-_Paris.jpg

Gazjam
04-06-2016, 07:45
Tedeschi Trucks Band "Everybodys Talking"
Spirit of the Allman Brothers lives on, and that aint no bad thing.

Ordered it on 3LP vinyl, Looking forward to putting it on and kicking back.
A track from the album:

kiWbBC0SouU

Tim
04-06-2016, 11:03
One of my favourite bands there Gaz, a past album club pick was there first album ;)

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

Gazjam
04-06-2016, 14:26
Tim me ole mucker, hows tricks? :)

Yeah, great band love to see them live.
Was going through an Allman Brothers rediscovery when I came across them.
Touring just now with the Black Crowes...shame Im not in America!

Tim
04-06-2016, 14:30
They are a but special live, Susan can sure give Derek a run for his money on guitar, saw them at the Albert Hall a few years ago, superb night. Midnight in Harlem is one of my all time favourite songs.

Things are OK old bean, missing my live music though :(

Audio Al
04-06-2016, 18:30
:eek: Tim , How did you end up in China ? :eek:

Tim
05-06-2016, 09:43
:eek: Tim , How did you end up in China ? :eek:
I got offered a job Al, took me awhile to think about it, but I thought what the heck, let's give it a go! It's certainly different that's for sure.

Audio Al
05-06-2016, 10:46
It's certainly different that's for sure.

In a good or bad way ?

Tim
05-06-2016, 10:55
In a good or bad way ?

Hmmm, ask me again in six months! At the moment more bad than good, but I've only been here 3 months. I'm really missing going to gigs, I used to do around 50 to 60 a year in the UK, been to one so far in Hong Kong, Tame Impala. Lot of hassle going in for one night crossing two border's etc. Early days though and still finding my feet

Audio Al
05-06-2016, 11:07
Tim

Look on the bright side " No more ordering Chinese takeaways " :lol:

Tim
05-06-2016, 11:14
Aye, there is that, but the local food can be a bit dodgy, lots of chickens feet, intestines and fatty pork! Nowt like a Chinese at home. Lots of really good Japanese restaurant's though, with great food at silly cheap prices :)

Audio Al
05-06-2016, 11:19
Aye, there is that, but the local food can be a bit dodgy, lots of chickens feet, intestines and fatty pork! Nowt like a Chinese at home. Lots of really good Japanese restaurant's though, with great food at silly cheap prices :)

Just out of interest , what job did you get that made you make the big lifestyle change :scratch: :)

Tim
05-06-2016, 12:11
Manufacturing, we make these www.eggstroller.com

Audio Al
05-06-2016, 12:37
They look smart , does it come with a usb mp3 player with a DAC ? Get them started EARLY :D

Tim
05-06-2016, 12:45
Now there's an idea, I'll have a chat with our designer ;)

Pete The Cat
14-08-2016, 07:03
http://www.punk77.co.uk/graphics/stranglers/xcertslarge.jpg

Often overlooked, The Stranglers "Live (X Cert)". It mixes tracks from the Roundhouse and Battersea Park to give the impression of a single gig to decent effect. It has a value given that most artists under the broad label of "punk" never got to make a live album, maybe because they were too short-lived or they viewed live albums as over indulgent. The banter with the audience is sign of the times too.

Pete

Ian7633
14-08-2016, 09:27
http://www.punk77.co.uk/graphics/stranglers/xcertslarge.jpg

Often overlooked, The Stranglers "Live (X Cert)". It mixes tracks from the Roundhouse and Battersea Park to give the impression of a single gig to decent effect. It has a value given that most artists under the broad label of "punk" never got to make a live album, maybe because they were too short-lived or they viewed live albums as over indulgent. The banter with the audience is sign of the times too.

Pete
It's one of those live albums you really feel, 5 minutes is ultra aggressive, still gets me going even though I'm an old fart now

Arkless Electronics
14-08-2016, 11:15
"Sinatra at The Sands"

U2 "Live at Redrock"

struth
14-08-2016, 12:04
"Sinatra at The Sands"

U2 "Live at Redrock"

Rat Pack at the Sands is good recording too.. Hilarious too.

Pete The Cat
14-08-2016, 12:32
Just been listening to Oasis at Knebworth in August 1996 on the iPlayer following the 20th anniversary rebroadcast.

The passage of time has made their formulaic rock sound very dated. However as a fan I fell out of love with them after they cancelled their Sunday appearance at the Essex leg of V2009 on the pretext of Liam having laryngitis. The communication took place mid afternoon after many fans had been allowed to enter the site and there was no opportunity for a refund, even though that had been arranged when another headliner had cancelled at short notice a few years earlier. They subsequently split up prior to appearing in Paris a few days later after another bunch of festival-goers had already travelled to the event only to hear the announcement from the stage. As a group who made much of their working class roots the contempt for average folks' cash over those two cancelled gigs left me with a bitter taste. The media made nothing of this aspect, even though a source close to the event later told me that the situation was known after the Saturday night in Stafford. If they reform I'll be asking for our money back.

Pete

Ian7633
14-08-2016, 21:05
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g345/ian7633/yss_zpsayojrzxl.jpg (http://s1097.photobucket.com/user/ian7633/media/yss_zpsayojrzxl.jpg.html)

One of my favorite live albums, well it had to be a Yes album really, I'm an ex musician with a serious liking for Rickenbacker basses. RIP Chris Squire.

danilo
15-08-2016, 19:37
Best Cd recently:
Still like the Joe Bonamassa : "Acoustic Evening at the Vienna opera house " double cd.
Even better ambience as a DVD cuz of the visuals.
Much better IMO than his non live, non acoustic recordings

Worst CD; recently bought PJ Harveys; 'Let England shake'. FAR better as a Youtube Video even

Pete The Cat
16-10-2016, 07:01
I'm increasingly seeing recordings which were on bootleg albums years ago appearing through recognised retailers as non-authorised releases. What I mean by that is the grey area that's neither illegal nor officially endorsed product. Many are gigs which were broadcast on North American radio which I'm guessing are outside copyright and / or these labels have reached some sort of understanding with the owners of the artists' musical property. Of course, with some you have to live with tape noise and rather flat / undynamic sound but you takes your choice...

A gig that's well worth hearing is Black Sabbath at Asbury Park NJ in 1975. There have been multiple versions over the years and the performance is generally regarded as superior to that on their official "Live At Last" release. It's clearly not got the polish that a commercially released live album would have, but the sound is powerful and well balanced and its roughness is all the better for it - the atmosphere, between song banter and odd mistakes make it real. Ozzy sounds as high as a kite and can't resist making it known at every available opportunity.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41MtRehNRmL.jpg

I mention it since Amazon is selling a version on the Top Gear label (although I haven't heard this release so caveat emptor as usual).

Pete

surv1v0r
16-10-2016, 16:26
I'm increasingly seeing recordings which were on bootleg albums years ago appearing through recognised retailers as non-authorised releases. <SNIP>I can't believe that there is only one album recorded by Blind Faith available, there must be recordings of some of their (admittedly few) live performances :scratch:

Steve Winwood is so underrated.

rigger67
20-10-2016, 08:25
http://images.swapacd.com/xl/J1/5XJ1/B000025XJ1.jpg

ASWAD - Live And Direct

Probably the first live album I ever bought, this came out in 1983 when I was 16 but I got it after seeing the band about a year later.
This was when they were still a "proper" roots reggae group, so pre their poppy, over-produced "sell out" years of "Don't Turn Around" and all that pap ..

They were fantastic live and this record is a 45 minute testament to their performances around that time with nice tight drum and bass and some great vocals from Brinsley Forde (he of "Double Deckers" fame). It was an aural snapshot of the Notting Hill Carnival before that also became overblown itself ..

The great thing about it - apart from the music ! - was the price : £2.49 with a big, round sticker on it saying "DON'T PAY MORE THAN £2.49 FOR THIS RECORD!"

Now that's looking after your fans ..

ff1d1l
31-10-2016, 18:25
I'm increasingly seeing recordings which were on bootleg albums years ago appearing through recognised retailers as non-authorised releases.

Pete

I think the Ry Cooder album "Live on Air" falls into this category. An absolutely superb album with many favorites played with a stripped down line up. Sound has a little tape hiss and compression (it's a very loud cd), but source must be a radio stations reels rather than off air, and is very clear and present. If you're not a fan already, what a great intro this is, if you like blues, soul, Americana....

martian sunrise
07-11-2016, 20:32
Tim me ole mucker, hows tricks? :)

Yeah, great band love to see them live.
Was going through an Allman Brothers rediscovery when I came across them.
Touring just now with the Black Crowes...shame Im not in America!

Surprised the crowes haven't had a mention. One of the best live bands ever and release loads of live stuff. I've seen them a million times, and most of the time you can buy a bootleg straight after the show.

Watch this from 3:20 on. Mind bending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e_QQSntFzQ